Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pfhreak
Jan 30, 2004

Frog Blast The Vent Core!
Man... Long ago, when I was first starting to figure out the internets, I found myself exploring MUDs. Well, a friend of mine up at the high school was a part time coder/builder for a reasonably populated MUD, and he had access to the source, and he could also lay down zones/make equipment for us if we needed. We never really exploited it too much.

We did, however, find all sorts of secret shortcuts the admins had built in for themselves. Hidden doors, secret passages, that sort of thing. There was one that linked to the center of the main town, and could be locked. It was very, very rarely used.

We, of course, felt to compelled to exploit this. We summoned in a self-replicating monster (I think it was a slaad?) that created copies of itself when under attack, and got it to fight against another monster that couldn't be hit, and didn't attack (this was another great find in the code). After a couple of days, the room would be full of slaads, and we'd open the door and summon out the invincible mob, leaving all the slaads looking for a fight. They'd head out and immediately start killing everything in town, and many went down into the newbie zone. The screams over the general channel were well worth it. Most people thought it was a GM run invasion at first, but the monsters quickly grew out of control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pfhreak
Jan 30, 2004

Dramatika posted:

Currin Trading and Eve Intergalactic Bank scams - http://www.geocities.com/currintrading/

Long, but a great read.

This was fascinating, and makes me want to do something similar.

Pfhreak
Jan 30, 2004

coyo7e posted:

Ventriloharassment is pretty well known for doing this, they started the "4 strength 4 stam leather belt UHHHH!!" meme that was on wow for ages.

The whole "WOW nerd" series is really hilarious:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIVTT4fgPQI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzXsS6oePd4 (NSFW audio)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ks6ubQzfasQ

I laughed so hard I cried on that second one.

Pfhreak
Jan 30, 2004

I Said No posted:

What exactly is the problem with this? Isn't D&D supposed to be an open-ended thing where you do what you like where the DM is pretty much just a neutral overseer? I'm not that familiar with D&D but to me that sounds like a bad (or at least too partisan) DM.

My guess is the DM didn't just outright say, "He's taking your money." He probably just dropped them a clue -- a bill of sale, a drunken NPC, etc. -- that suggested that someone was taking their money.

Pfhreak
Jan 30, 2004

Jzmisgoo posted:

If it hasn't been mentioned yet, there is a way to teamkill people in TF2 without the cvar being on.

1) Bind an arbitrary key to "spectate"
2) Be a Demoman
3) Launch grenades and quickly hit your spectate button before they go off

When you go spectator you don't "own" the grenades so they will hurt allies and such, Since teammates generally move around a bunch I suggest ruining some Engineers bases and blowing up some Snipers.

quote:

So I recently discovered that the grenades team switch trick works on TF2. The only difference is instead of the opposing team you go spectator. The idea is go Demo, fire pipe bombs (weapon 1) at the ground and then switch to spec before they explode. They will deal full damage to anyone next to them. You can do this during setup or during the game (24/7 2fort snipers are great for this).

Lets see if we can run this into the ground faster than the flares exploit.

Yeah, I'd say about 10 posts up....

Pfhreak
Jan 30, 2004

Let me get this straight. You showed up in costume to a roleplay session of Avatar, then behaved in character before fleeing the scene. I don't think that was a grief, really, more like active participation. All it really did was supply them with more fodder for their stories. Hell, they probably felt validated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pfhreak
Jan 30, 2004

Nerolus posted:

You can also pick up engineering (or whatever it was) and build a mind control cap. This is what I did back before the cap was above 60. I loved running people off high places.

Which was mentioned in the post immediately prior to the one you quoted. Make sure you read the thread before 'adding' to it.

• Locked thread