Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

synthetik posted:

Can you explain what was happening? Did someone on your team die and switch sides?

I think it's just that the last guy basically left the rest of his team to get murdered so that he could finish the mission. Not exactly grief per se, since this happens all the time in high difficulty missions, but people still get pissed off when they think you could have stuck around to save them. I have lost track of how many times people will bring up a votekick against me in Left 4 Dead 2 when we are at the end of an escape phase and some moron decided to wander off and get pounced on by a Hunter. No one is going to run out into the mobs to maybe save you, especially when it's your own goddamn fault for being out there, but pubs will never admit to being responsible for their own failures.

Along those lines and to contribute, it's really easy to grief people in L4D2's versus mode simply by playing the game well. Once you've played the maps a few times, it's common to find spots where the right infected combos can wipe out the entire human team. At the same time, it's pretty easy to predict when the infected team is preparing for these set pieces to go down. In No Mercy, there is a section where you have to sneak into a large elevator shaft in order to access a hospital rooftop. As you approach it, there is a set of open elevator doors you have to walk past where it is very easy for a Charger to instantly kill someone. However, if you step out and then quickly retreat, it's almost like clockwork that a Charger will fly right past everyone, fall down the shaft, die, and then start raging that they missed a great opportunity.

What a lot of players don't realize is that there's an even better spot a few rooms later where it is easy to confirm at least one survivor death if you have a Charger and a Smoker or Jockey. Players have to walk down a helipad ramp to get to the escape radio, and if you can stun someone on that ramp, a Charger can carry one of them off of the roof for a guaranteed kill and to split up any tightly grouped Survivors. Since most people are expecting that a Charger is no longer a threat after the previous elevator shaft, they don't expect you to show up a minute later with a more devastating sequence. Since the last map instance is worth the most amount of points, people will absolutely lose their poo poo if you can kill them early on like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
I was killing some time today playing One More Dungeon, which is a really simple SP FPS roguelike. Someone messaged me out of the blue asking if I was hacking since I recently got a (pretty simple) achievement. I told him it was a matter of time and luck, but he wouldn't accept that I wasn't cheating since he found the game to be super hard. I'm guessing he saw my recent activity and was upset that I got something that 0.3% of all owners were able to get.

Apparently you can grief random strangers by not being bad at a single player game nowadays? I ended up blocking him after a minute or so of trying to figure out what he was complaining about.

Also, it looks like a whole bunch of people are pissed off that a roguelike is actually difficult and doesn't allow saving. There's a disproportionate amount of whining on the community pages for a game that only costs $5 at full price.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

Ruzihm posted:

Can you do save & quit or do you just have to leave the game paused/running while you're not playing?

Yeah, it saves upon quitting and deletes the save when you load, but you're only gonna be playing maybe 15-20 mins between deaths.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
Probably not. You're gonna have a hell of a grind ahead of you and most people who are still playing are folks with a lot more stuff unlocked, so you're gonna be scrounging for a long time.

• Locked thread