Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zazamoot
Apr 2, 2005
During the Luclin expansion of Everquest a bug appeared that resulted in character strings resembling "|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||" often crashing the clients of those exposed to it. You could snipe somebody across the world with a malicious /tell or waltz into a popular zone and /shout it out. Following the latter with a /who, you'd usually get a list with 90% of the names followed by <LINKDEAD>, meaning they were no longer playing, but their characters were stuck in the world for a short period of time. This was a good way to get your enemies killed, but more importantly, since this was Everquest, it was a good way to steal camps from others.

I recall it eventually being declared fixed, but it still had a good chance of crashing people a few months later, when I finally quit. Oddly enough, strings using lowercase L's had a similar impact. I discovered this on a raid, when I used /say to test it on my guild. I honestly didn't expect it to work, but people were furious with me when when everybody within twenty feet of me went linkdead, nearly wiping us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zazamoot
Apr 2, 2005
No Pants, if you spend $50 to regain access to a server you were caught griefing on, please spend another $10 on an offensive custom title commemorating this humiliating affair for yourself.

Zazamoot
Apr 2, 2005
http://www.lively.com/html/landing.html

Google's (evidently shallower) answer to second life. Ground floor?

edit: beaten, runs terribly

Zazamoot fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jul 10, 2008

Zazamoot
Apr 2, 2005

rss feeder posted:

Zazamoot contacted me about this, anyone wanna pull a Die Hard 2?

It's in CS:S where you stage a firefight, and miss, to keep it going as long as possible. I call it a Die Hard 2 'cause of the scene where the terrorists and soldiers (actually working for terrorists) stage a firefight using blanks to fool the good guys.

Anyone in?

This is a lot of fun if you can arrange things so that the only players left alive are in on it. Fire to the sides and over each other's heads while dodging frantically and scooping up new weapons to keep the shoot-out going until the timer runs out. Chase one another in circles around obstacles, only to simultaneously change direction repeatedly. Hide on either side of a box, each alternately peeking over and ducking. Bonus points if at some point you and your opponent make a pass and switch weapons.

After the round, act phenomenally impressed with the skill of the other player and astonished that things took so long. Then do it all over again.

• Locked thread