Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Constantine XI posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qO-AX5DGro&NR=1

"Ah poo poo nigga I'm 'bout ta get my bazooka!"

I'm surprised this took so long to pop up. For anyone unfamiliar with this game, someone like this would usually pop up once every couple days, but it rarely led to the hilarity as shown in this video. drat I miss the good 'ol days of CS 1.6

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Maybe someone can fill me in on more details, but I recall a hack that someone in myg0t created for counter-strike source that wiped out half the servers.

I don't know how they did it, but it's similar to the TF2 flare gun grief only way more devastating and efficient. What would happen is a myg0t would join the server, and would run whatever 'hack' he had, and immediately the sky would become gray with dark clouds and it would rain flaming skulls. The skulls would never go away, thus it would eventually lag everyone out and then crash the server.

There was a TF2 one that was similar to this as well, where it would force everyone to respawn, lock them in the spawn, and then throw in hundreds and hundreds of random objects, eventually crashing the server.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

ATM Machine posted:

After realising that you can become unmutable quite easily in cs:s, we proceeded to spam music, which really isn't much better than the flare bug, still got decent results.

how do you do this?

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Holy crap I've been reading this thread since the begining and I can't believe I just remembered this.

Counter-Strike:Source Griefing

When I was a senior in high school the first class of the day for me was an AP Comp. Sci. class which, obviously, had a large amount of nerds just like myself. We would always finish our week-long projects in a day or so so most of our time was spent just BS'ing around and basically making outrageous stuff in Alice. That's not what this is about though.

One day one of my friends came in and after writing a few lines of code with me, asked if me if I'd be interested in joining a CS:S clan. I played a ton of CS back then, hell, a ton of online games in general, but I'd never played competitively. I said sure and he went on to recruit a few others from our class. Eventually, there was 8 of us on the team, and none of us had ever played competitively before at all.

Said friend bought us a server to practice on, which we never used, and enrolled us into a tournament. The name of the tournament I can't recall, but it was their first ever. What made this one different (and the reason we decided to jump in) was because first place offered a prize of just under a thousand dollars, second place being (I think) $400, and yadda yadda. The money for these prizes were payed off by sponsorships and advertising.

So a few weeks later of saying we'll practice tomorrow, it's our first pre-lim match. We get absolutely steamrolled. I had always considered myself pretty good at the game, but to anyone who isn't familiar with competitive play, let me just say it's an entirely different animal, and these people are so good at these games it's mind-boggling.

We play our second prelim match and a pattern starts to emerge. We really, really suck at this. It got so bad that half the other team would suicide at the round start just to make it somewhat difficult for themselves. It was terrible. Basically, we had absolutely no illusions that we were going to make it past the first round of the playoffs.

How wrong we were.

It's our first real match, and by the second round it's already apparent that we have a snowballs chance in hell at winning, and, 28 rounds later and a score of 30-0, that assumption was correct. So we all say 'good game,' log off, and I thought that was that.

The next day my friend who started the clan comes and sits next to me, goes to check his email, and starts laughing his rear end off. I look over at his screen and saw the biggest wall-of-text consisting of every swear word, ethnic slur, questioning of sexual orientation you could think of. I look at the sender and see it's from the clan leader of the guys we played last night. What the hell?

Through his sporadic giggling my friend told me that he logged onto the tournament website as soon as the round was over and reported a win for our team, 30-0. He said that we were gone anyways, and none of us planned on playing in another tournament, so who cares if we get banned right? I laugh and we enjoy the angry emails that the other clan proceeds to send us over the next few hours.

Hours turned into days, the days turned into a week, ethnic slurs turned into death threats, and our reported win never got changed. We never heard from any admins. Nothing. A few days after that we get another automated message telling us when our next match was scheduled. None of us could believe it, but we went into the second round and got steamrolled again, 30-0. Another win we reported, and more angry emails we recieved.

Yet no emails from any admins.

We did this over and over again, 'winning' round after round. It got so bad that their forums were full of people screaming for us to get banned, screaming for the admins to do something, and just generally getting really pissed. We lied our way all the way to the final match.

The only reason we didn't report a win on this final round is because the match was being broadcast on TV, with a hired announcer. I can't browse youtube at work, but when I get home I'll post the video of the final match, and it's hilarious. The first 15-20 minutes is the announcer stalling because one of our player's computer crashed, and he was trying to fix it while we desparately called all of our friends hoping someone would be able to log onto his steam account, download counter-strike, and then play for him. That's how unorganized our team was.

We finally get our fifth and then, another computer crashes. A reboot and an obviously confused announcer later and the game is off! Within the first few minutes the announcer is already questioning our teams choices, but writes it off saying, "well, these guys are in the finals and not me so they must know what they're doing!"

By the 8th round he wasn't even talking about the match anymore, and was just reading off advertisements to make more money. The final score ended up being 29-1, where we won the last round simply by luck. I won't say what happens, and I'll let you guys see for yourselves when I post the video.

A few weeks later we got a check in the mail for $400, which we cashed immediately.

edit:
tl;dr: me and some friends make $400 by being dicks

Necc0 fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jul 15, 2008

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

flatluigi posted:

That's brilliant. Did anything ever come out about what really happened?

I think it's exactly what it seems like. The admins truly didn't care. At all.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
We were just as surprised. Hell, that kind of behavior would have been absurd even if there wasn't a cash prize available. Considering what was at stake we thought we were going to be banned within minutes.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5674098610233466310&q=wexford+wargaming&ei=n2l_SM2_E6Ow4QLV_OWnDA&hl=en

There's the video of the final round. It's pretty obvious which team was mine :pwn:

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
if you watch the last round he goes off the wall. If my memory serves me right the mic starts to distort because he yells so drat loud.

then followed by everyone leaving except for my friend, who spends the next ten minutes blowing himself up :downs:

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Mornacale posted:

Where is "Wexford Wargaming" from? If it was Western PA, then heh. Also this video is hilarious.

Yes it is. About 15 minutes north of Pittsburgh.

Ouroboros posted:

Pokemon's kill was loving epic.

I think that was one of the first rounds we won in the entire tournament.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
If you guys manage to get some of the clubbers to actually come up and recieve communion that will be excellent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Longinus00 posted:

I guess infecting the other team as a medic in TF2 should also count. drat, I never realized I was such a masterclass griefer.

Care to elaborate?

• Locked thread