Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GenericEric
Dec 1, 2005

A rare goon appeared!
Think of Second Life as "3D INTERNET AND CHAT ROOM" with that ingame 3d modeler.

There's quite the learning curve to building, scripts and meshes and what have you, but you don't have to learn what you don't want to learn...although they are pretty valuable skills.

There's almost no wall to wall security. You can pretty much break and enter someones house by issuing the command "Sit in this guys chair".

Join SL. Make cool stuff.

(Ingame Screenshot)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenericEric
Dec 1, 2005

A rare goon appeared!

LLCoolJD posted:

Are there any decency laws (apart from the obvious illegal stuff)? Are there any limits to your avatar's design? (it looks like on the last page the poster's avatar was Thomas the Tank Engine and some giant flesh monster...) I ask because I was wondering whether there was a size limit for your character.

As far as copyrights, I don't recall any incident where anybody ever as been contacted by angry people demanding they stop wearing/selling concepts of the rightful owners' design.

People keep selling lucky star/power rangers/carebears avatars, and the world keeps on turning.

On the subject of size limits, There isn't much of one. furries design 50ft avatars all the time because duh, they have a fetish for everything...but if you're talking about how many objects you can wear on one avatar, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised on how much space you have. I've yet to hit the limit, and I use way too many objects as is.

I think the only problems I've had with Second Life is
  • How easily you can get ejected/banned from an area with land owner on site
  • How solid the client actually is (not)
  • The learning curve
  • aaand a small fee for uploading textures, meshes, animations and sounds (10$L or 0.34$)

\/\/\/\/: Couldn't be more right.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Down_the_Rabbit_Hole_(CSI:_NY_episode)

GenericEric fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jul 2, 2008

GenericEric
Dec 1, 2005

A rare goon appeared!
If you're just starting out on your very first session of the wonderful magically hideous world of Second Life, complete the basic tutorial (It's required, sorry) and once you are teleported out of there you will obtain teleport access to practically anywhere on the network. From there you can open the Map window and see all the "sims" (servers that are divided into large pieces of land) that are out there. Each one has a name, and if you're looking to find other goons to help get you started, you simply type "what" into the search box, and teleport.

http://w-hat.com/faq
Here's an faq page that'll deal with a lot of questions...including the ones about signing up, and also shed some history about what the group has been up to.

...And to make sure not to derail too badly, here's a video of a one Dork457 did.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YKFiQQblsU

GenericEric
Dec 1, 2005

A rare goon appeared!
:siren:IMPORTANT:siren:
If you are stuck on orientation island
Type in the word "public" in your inventory search, and double click on either one of the displayed landmarks, then go to map and teleport to "what".

• Locked thread