Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
Diablo 2 has a hardcore mode that was a hell of a lot more fun than the normal. Here was my typical, run 5 times a day scheme:

When someone died, the death text would be gold, but normal typing text would be white. This made it impossible to fake your death because the colour would be incorrect. There was, however, a hack that let you type in any colour that you want. Since the text format was "Verviticus: blah" and death looked like "Verviticus was slain by an Elf", you'd have to make a line of garbage text, followed by a solid line of "Verviticus was slain by Player".

A friend and I would hang out in the hardcore channel and message people the following: "Hey, I'm about to duel someone and I need someone to loot my corpse. I hate this guy so I'm not gonna get him to do it and I dont have any friends on. Come help me out?"

Of course, a lot of greedy (and totally innocent helpful) people fell for it and joined the game. He then invites them to group and clickes the button to let them loot his corpse. This was the tricky part.

People ALWAYS accept group because it was second nature, and about 25% of the time they auto-looted as well for the same reason. The last 75% had to be convinced - half of these would be convinced by a simple "loot up", and the other half had to be talked into it. Popular reasons included:

"I don't feel comfortable unless you enable it"
"What if that rear end in a top hat PKs you?"
"Oh it's second habit (hope for the best)"

If they loot up, good - if not, oh well!

I then hostile the "group", unhostile my friend and run outside. If people bitch and complain, my friend immediately runs out and I pretend to be busy fighting my friend. We'd put on a good show, and then I'd run into the cave and say my death script (practiced with the person on mute prior to the fight). My friend then lures them to the cave to loot me, as I'm pleading with them to do so. When they come down, I crush them while they're loading the cave, loot their stuff if they were convinced, and then wait for them to leave. We would then exit, and divy their gear up to us and their mules :)

Another fun way to kill people involved killing people by loading a portal up with fire and hostiling them as soon as I got back into town - arcane sanctuary was AWESOME for this because they had no way to escape that platform near the entrance.

The best part about all of this was that in hardcore diablo, there was no reusing a dead character, meaning they'd lose everything they had in a matter of minutes. Man, I wish I could do that right now :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread