Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
I'm surprised this thread got five pages without a mention of the "Sime apocalypse" in UO. I used to have a link to it but it's dead now.

Basically, some guy held the entire world for ransom and unleashed an apocalyptic tidal wave of slimse he'd grown in his house when they failed to pay up. :eek:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Deadly Hume posted:

That is freaking awesome.

"Laugh at me, will they? I'll show them, I'll show them ALL! Go then, my loyal fungus, teach those fools the meaning of FEAR."

I don't think Major Burns quite did it justice. The number of slimes he created were insane, think an afternoon of exponential growth on six slimes trapped behind some furniture. When he let them out, there would be literally thousands of slimes in a single given square, fanning out in a tidal wave of damage. In the beginning, people tried to fight it- after all, they're only slimes, right?- but attacking a slime in a given square would kill one and invite counter attacks from two dozen others. And that was only if you could one-shot it, if you didn't there was always the chance that it would split again.

Even the npc guards were overwhelmed. An entire swath of the main continent became completely uninhabitable.

It was :rock:.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

After going from EVE to virtually any other MMO it's just amazing at how easy it is to scam and grief people with no repercussions. I mean, in EVE, paranoia is the order of the day and every deal is made with a finger over the "Launch missle" button just in case, whereas the amount of gee-willickers blind faith and trust in WoW is just staggering at times.

Recently, I've taken to bolstering my income by selling/scamming my way into guilds. Bein an in-demand class/spec combo, It usually only takes me a few minutes cruising a hub city to get an invite. At this point ask for a few gold as a "signing bonus" since I'm supposedly going to be doing all this work for them. Sometimes I get it, sometimes I don't, but regardless as soon as I get the invite I go to the guild vault and loot whatever isn't nailed down. Then, once I hit the limit of withdrawls for that day, I quit the guild and ask for a re-invite, saying "Oh, sorry, my friend whispered to me asking how to quit a guild and I just replied '/gquit' without thinking, ha ha."

The glory of it is, when you quit a guild, your "allowed to take" tally resets. On busy days in orgrimmar I've juggled three or four guilds simultaneously, joining, looting, quitting, and joining again. If I find an especially rich vein I'll stay on a few days, looting as much as I can every day and just completely ignoring guild chat. But once the guild vault dries up of stuff I want/need/can easily pawn off in the auction house, I make one last "hey guys I'm low on cash can anyone spare a few silver for skills?" request and get what I can from the gullible members before quitting and finding a new guild.

I'd almost feel bad about it, but this is why you don't invite total strangers into your guild. If I'd quested with you some or done an instance I'd probably feel a little guilty, but when SlapNutzOrk1297 invites me randomly into xXUBER-DEATHXx just because I was standing near the mailbox you deserve whatever comes to you.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

zVxTeflon posted:

What could you possibly have taken from the vaults of guilds that are stupid enough to fall for that. I cant imagine guilds that lovely have anything of value.

It's sually not any one big thing (though I've looted my share of recipes for me and my alts) but lots of great little things that just save me lots of time and money. Some of the best scores are rep turn-ins- piles and piles of Dark Iron Scraps, Unidentified Plant Parts, etc. that just save me a hell of a lot of time on the rep grind aspect. Also, yanking piles of tradeskill cloths or hides or enchanting mats is a huge discount over buying them at the AH.

I mean, if the guild vault sucks I'll just take whatever looks the most expensive and quit right away, but some of them are really good. The trick is to find those guilds right on the edge between being bid enough to have lots of good loot and small/new enough to still have Bozos in charge who don't think about it.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

FuzzyPickles posted:

Because it doesn't alert anyone when you do it, they would have to go check the log. Any guild leader with a lukewarm IQ can set up a new member rank without bank access in 10 seconds, you would have to be stupid to immediately give anyone access the moment they join.

Well, the thing is these tinpot dictators are so starved for members of their lovely guilds they'll pump you up five ranks worth of hierarchy just for being high-level. I don't know how well this technique would work with lower levels, since I only figured it out post-50's, but people are willing to make lots of concessions for a holy-specced priest apparently. (OMG HEALZ PLZ)

And yeah, I saw that there was alog, but I swear I'm the only one that ever reads it, because I have yet to actually be called on my rampant kelptomania. The guild bank always lasts until I get bored with their selection and go shop somewhere else.

I mean, really, the whole formula hinges on people being stupid, and that's about as sure a bet as you can get in the world, vitrual or otherwise.

GetWellGamers fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jun 30, 2008

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

Daltos posted:

I thought they fixed that once it got out of beta testing.

You forget that "Beta testing" lasts for about two years after launch on a good MMO.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The thing is, even "classic" or "mundane" griefing can be fun if you're creative with it. I remember a quake 3 mod called "excessive quake" or something where you couldn't be hurt by your own splash damage and every gun had infinite ammo and stuff. A guy at a LAN I frequented got the game nearly permanently taken out of rotation because he figured out he could bind "llok straight down" and "fire" to the space bar; he would start a map, put his mouse down on his space bar, and leave. The in-game result was that he would be floating on top of a column of fire the whole round, and any time anyone respawned at that spawn point they would be instantly vaporized. Since most maps only had 3 or four spawns at the most, it meant that any time anyone died there was at worst a 1 in 4 chance you would instantly be killed again and he'd get the credit for it. Sometimes particularly unlucky people would chain-spawn under him, and even if you killed him he'd just instantly repeat it wherever he spawned next.

Quite often he'd just get up and wander over to where the other players were and start trash-talking them. "Man, I'm leading in kills and I'm not even there, what's the matter with you guys?" etc. So sure, it was just simple spawn-camping, with a macro even, but it was extremely entertaining and well worth some pubbie tears.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

Bieeardo posted:

If you do something, totally innocently and accidentally, is it still grief?

I've had this happen a few times in various Unreal Tournaments. One noticable instance was when I blew a member of the opposing team into the air right as another teammate fired off the guided redeemer.

The redeemer travels two feet, hits the one enemy, and vaporizes half our side. :shobon:

I've been the cause of more than a couple incidences of this kind of faux-griefing, and it's usually as hilarious as it is cringeworthy.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

^^^^^Never, EVER utter the phrase "No one's THAT stupid" on the internet...^^^^

Ego Piano posted:

The thing is, if you're playing with decent folks everyone will just laugh this sort of thing off and exclaim how awesome it was.

Well yeah, it wasn't pubbie tears flowing like rainwater, but it was always good for that initial "THE gently caress?!" over vent...

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

Time Machine GO! posted:

:laffo:

Do you see this, all you "aimbots wallhacks lol" people? THIS is griefing. Using entirely legal and proscribed game mechanics, TMG managed to grief an entire clan straight off the ranking boards. He hit them with the grief stick they fell off the internet.

Bravo, Time Machine. :dance:

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

Popehoist posted:

I sort of know what you mean. I can't really play any MMORPG again after EVE, but even EVE is a far cry from what you're describing. 0.0 and lowsec space are no-holds-barred open PVP zones, yet instead of being every-man-for-himself lawless lands players simply group up into huge alliances and control different sectors of space, making it impossible for someone to get anywhere in the game on their own.

Going from EVE back to WoW was really liberating, in a sense, because I know if I scammed and griefed and stole from people because of their own stupidity, I would be safe unless I specifically felt like fighting. Being naive and overly trusting isn't against the ToS, and they really have no recourse.

What's amazing to me is that I've had no repercussions of any sort. You'd think after cleaning out my third or fourth bank vault of anything disenchantable, all the money they'd let me, and dozens of green and blue recipies someone would say "Hey don't let this guy into your guild" when I'm advertising in the guild recruitment channel, but either they're too feeble to start anything or they just don't mind. It's so strange for me I've started getting more and more blatant about it just to get SOMEone to do SOMEthing. Hell, last guild I quit, when the GL asked me why I flat our responded "Because your bank doesn't have anything left worth stealing." and he just responded "lol ok".

It's like some kind of Brave New World poo poo where everyone's so drugged up they don't care. :psyduck:

GetWellGamers fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jul 12, 2008

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

Virxas posted:

UO Faggotry

What is it about MMos that spawns tinpot dictators like mushrooms in poo poo?

GetWellGamers fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jul 12, 2008

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

You know, between the Spider Swarm, [TEAM FLARE], and all the UO/EVE parties, I think it would be awesome to have some sort of "Ultimate Griefing" contest here in games where goons go and record the suffering of pubbies for the rollicking amusement of all, with the winner taking home some sort of prize. Hard to think of what an appropriate prize would be, though, since all the different entrants would by their nature be into different things...

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

Feathers posted:

how would you actually measure the level of griefing?

the metric system has failed you

Popular vote, of course- whichever makes goons laugh the most wins.

And forum upgrades seems like the obvious choice, but it seemed kind of mundane/boring. I would be the one absolute common thread between all the participants, though. v:shobon:v

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

Pope Guilty posted:

ignore this.

No. :colbert:

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

coyo7e posted:

:words:

...I think you just invented WoW Bukkake.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

Casual Epic posted:

WoW :words:

WoW pubbies are truly, truly dim. In my campaign of looting pretty much every guild on my server I've taken two entire darkmoon decks and a handful of single cards, untold amounts of purple and blue gear which I either shard or AH, dozens of tradeskill recipies, hundreds of gold, and literally thousands of pieces of rep grind materials. It's almost sad how these tinpot dictators will shower you with wealth for just a little bit of participation or sucking up. It's like I'm farming egos, that's what it is.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

Cowboy posted:

Cast polymorph on him and just stand there making sure he can't accomplish anything, for at least an hour or more, just by recasting polymorph over and over and over. Sometimes I'll order them around and make them follow me by using emotes and punish them by polymorphing them when they don't listen to me.

My friend was once in a pre-form for Warsong Gulch made up of ten mages who spent the entire round keeping the other side polymorphed until they just ragequit and his side won by forefeit. And since polymorph was such a cheap spell, with good regen you could literally cast it forever. And once a couple people had quit out of the instance, the "unneeded" mages would just sit and wait at the spawn for new people to come in. Eventually there was a little petting zoo in the flag room.

Stunts like that are probably what led to the implementation of the "Diminishing returns" thing.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

coyo7e posted:

Myself and a ton of goons play COD4 on XBL all the time, and one of the goons we regularly play with (who's also ridiculously good, especially in hardcore,) is a guy named Xachariah, who's deaf. literally. As in, can't hear you, no talking, deaf.

His avoided rating is crazy high, and almost all of his avoids are trash-talking ratings.

Isn't that the same goon that made Sefsan eat crow in front of half of goonfleet on ventrillo once?

"Why the gently caress isn't that guy in the channel? I've given the same loving orders 20 loving times and he still hasn't done it! Give me one good reason why I shouldn't loving pod him back to loving empire! Etc. etc. etc."

"Dude, he's deaf."

"........oh."

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

Soulpudding posted:

One day we were playing Cops and Robbers and we beat a team of players with [SA] and [lljk] in their names. Apparently they thought it was hilarious, because one of them bought me this account.

Further proof that goons aren't made, they're born. :iamafag:

I would also like to second WoW Mind Control griefing. A friend of mine had something he would call "shark attack" that he would do in Booty Bay. He would sit pvp-flagged at the top of th highest overlook while a dozen of his guildies would wait in the water below. When someone pvp-flagged came close, he would mind control them, walk them off the edge, and then jump off himself. The other player would be instantly devoured by the "Sharks" waiting below, and because the NPC guards had to run all the way down and around to get into the water, by the time they actually got to the water they would have ran far enough to trigger the "no kiting" response and they'd run back. Rinse and repeat.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

I suppose that's the nature of rule-bending griefing in MMOs; they can always patch a fix to it. v:shobon:v

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

Glass Hand posted:

:byobear:

I don't have much to add to this besides :iia:, but since you don't have PMs I'm expressing my adulation for you name/avatar here. One of my favorite Outer Limits episodes ever. :gonk::hf::gonk:

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

I'm surprised nobody mentioned the EVE graveyard yet.

In EVE online, when you die you leave a frozen corpse floating in space. You wake up in a clone inside a station, so you're usually not anywhere near your corpse to pick it up. Corpses don't do anything anyways, so even if you could there's really no reason to. (Exceptions are for corpses of major alliance leaders, which are highly-valued trophies; when someone recovered the corpse of LadyScarlet, an amazingly rotund and fragile commander of the RISE alliance mentioned earlier, bidding went into nine digits.)

Anyways, there are lots of corpses just left floating around, and they occasionally get cleaned out by the system but you still run into them. So one day a player gets the idea that she's going to create a "graveyard" for them, buying a whole bunch of small anchorable containers to use as space caskeets, stuffing a corpse in each, and dropping them in orbit around an out-of-the-way planet. Completely pointless, but interesting enough that the official in-game newsletter made a mention of it.

So of course Goons roll in there and blow it all to poo poo for laughs. Not just goons, but the sicide-griefing "Jihadswarm". I can only laugh at imagining the guy responsible for the in-game news: "Ji- Jihadswarm? Do I seriously have to write that out? Jihadswarm? Really?"

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

Well, my WoW griefing days have come to an end. After the last guild I cleaned out, someone finally bitched ennough to the right GM and my account got suspended. :sigh:

Honestly, if you give someone full take rights after two weeks just for doing a few free enchants and healing a few instances, you deserve whatever happens next. Pubbie gullability has paid for my flying mount and a metric ton of rep-grind items.

I blame goonfleet for my complete disdain of pubbies and an inability to feel remorse towards them.

That, and Barrens general chat.

Edit: Come to think of it, this was probably the straw that broke the camel's back:

Guild Leader: Why did you leave the guild?!
Me: Because you ran out of stuff.
GL: Are you kidding?
Me: No. </ignore>

Mail from GL's alt: "Why did you take all the items from the guild vault? We are expecting to be recompensed, either give the items back or pay for them in gold."
Me: "Hahahahahaha." <Sent COD for postage>

GetWellGamers fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Jan 4, 2009

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

I Said No posted:

That's kind of a wonder. In nearly all games i've played the GMs are slow and pretty much never do anything. It's part of why griefing in Second Life is so easy, because the most the GMs will do is just show up, stare at you, then leave.

By the way, uh... has your user title been changed on the sly? It sounds a bit :pedo:, I take it it's not meant to be like that?

Well, considerig the last guild I cleaned out was over three weeks ago, and it ws maybe the 9th or 10th guild vauls I'd cleaned out, I wouldn't exactly call it "Speedy"...

As for the title, I see it as a compromise between those who want to troll me and my intention of keeping the message clear. They get to snicker at how clever they are and I get to keep going with a slogan that isn't as bad as some of the other custom title changes I've gotten here on SA.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

Simiain posted:

How exactly did you violate the TOS?

World of Warcraft is even more of a pussified little cocoon of shite than I thought. Christ. My generation.

I didn't, but in a game as sissified as WoW, if you bitch long enough loud enough eventually someone will do what you want just to be rid of you.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

^^E; f, b by SECONDS :argh:^^

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

Do D&D griefs count? Because I have a couple of those.

I played a gnomish bard with charisma and talk skills out the rear end. Bluff, diplomacy, you name it. This meant that not only was I always chosen to be the talker for anything important and quest-related, but that I was able to do so in private.

Case in point, my band is tracking down a bunch of pirates, and we have an informant who's willing to spill the beans. I go with the DM to another room, hear his spiel, and he says he'll tell us the location of the pirates for 200 gold. Five party members times forty gold each is a good bargain, right? Well, I go back to the table and say "Okay guys, he sounds legit. He'll lead us to the pirates for only 350 gold."

I'm glad no one noticed the stink-eye the DM gave me. They each pay 70 gold, I pay nothing and pocket the 80 left over. I kept this up for months until the DM finally ratted me out to the other players.

What? I'm chaotic neutral. Suck it up, bitches.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

Pfhreak posted:

My guess is the DM didn't just outright say, "He's taking your money." He probably just dropped them a clue -- a bill of sale, a drunken NPC, etc. -- that suggested that someone was taking their money.

No, the bastard literally ratted me out to the mage, just flat-out told him over IM. After that every time I did anything at all everyone at the table would roll sense motive on me. :argh:

And yeah, Chaotic Neutral is a bit of a juvenile alignment, but it's not like that was my only character. I had a Lawful Good fighter, an ex-farmhand who was specialized at throwing pitchforks into people, and a Chaotic Good cleric who was fed up with gods and religion and everything else and just wanted to help people.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

My reputation as a fast-talker was what kept the party from sicing the barbarian on me. I talked out way out of jail once, and if they wanted the best route anywhere they had to have me ask for it, so they grudgingly kept me on board.

Plus bard songs rock.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

I rerolled as a wookie, tore off some interns arms and dual weilded spinal cords before hacking my way out of the prison. That entire session was basically me greifing the new GM, he spent the entire time with his head in his hands.

This needs an illustration so badly.

And :golfclap: for your Mon Cal going "Allahu (Admiral)Ackbar!" into 50 stormtroopers.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Something I just realised I didnt make clear, by hacking I mean I hacked a door. as a wookie. After everyone (including the Smuggler, a Mon cal and an Ithorian, all of whom are MUCH better at tech stuff, I think I had 1 or 2 points in Hacking)

Who cares about hacking? You were dual-wielding spines.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

You guys should like get together and offer your services to game companies, like the way bank security people use ex-theives to test their safes and locks and such. A dozen goons in one room, a hundred clueless pubbies in the other, and an otherwise functional game. Not QA- QA is meant to break the games. You would be breaking the players.

We could cal it "Grief Counseling" or something.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

Kessel posted:

Those "la leh" things are actually valid sentence endings, each with a different connotation.

Admittedly off-topic, but that sounds fscinating and I would like to hear more. Knowing something isn't just jibberish anymore would add a bit of education to my interactions with screaming pubbies.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

Nasty Kerm posted:

I had to google kodomo no Jikan, and ended up on youtube. That was awful, they dont even try to hide the sexual undertones. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcDgcQWyME8

I pretty much did :aaaaa: in real life, where I kept inhaling and pulling back away from the monitor because it just kept getting worse and worse. :gonk:

Anyways, to add to the thread- at what point does the amount of time spent on the grief make the execution of the grief not worth it? Because under the tutelage of some more advanced players, I've been trying my hand at recruitment-griefing in eve, and 90% of the time t's just not worth it. Sure, the occasional guy who you get to sign over his life saving to you, give you half his posessions, then lead them to their deaths is pretty funny, but I just find it way too much chaff to sift through to get to the wheat.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

Shumagorath posted:

This is going to be a fun weekend. I'm hoping Valve never reveals the secret weapon for the losing side or (even though there's no way this is possible) doesn't even draft the secret unlocks until one side wins.

Everyone should just play engineer or something and refuse to engage the other side.

...Actually, that's how 2fort is already. :downsrim:

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

Just give the winners Gabe's item that bans whoever it kills.

Is this a real thing? Because it just might be the best thing ever.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

Who gives a toss about all this technial definition crap, everyone's forgetting the golden rule of griefing: It has to be funny, and none of this is.

Les semantion stroking off, more humorous tales of wage and woe.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

Always keep the wrist strap secured while playing.

Hell with that, that just lets them swing it around a few times to get up speed befor clocking you with it. :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

Our reputation precedes us, I guess. After all the news articles about EVE they understand just how leperous the touch of goons are to a game.

• Locked thread