Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!

Endorph posted:

I'm pretty sure goons count for 50% of EVE's playerbase.

1.7%, if CCP is to be trusted, but we've turned probably half the players goon-like, that's for sure. If you look at the messageboard archives pre-goons, it was an entirely different game then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

Ephrum posted:

Two dots is and always will be the best way to pass the time in SL.

"Two Dots"?

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

Full Circle posted:

bunnyhopping isn't hacking and he doesn't seem to be using an aimbot/wallhack. Dude just plays a shitload of CS:S

I dunno, some of those "headshots" looked kind of shady. Like, there was a guy falling from above him, the reticle was on his feet, then a burst of fire and the kill icon is a headshot. I watched it over and over again, and I couldn't see where the reticle got to the guy's head before he died.

^^^^ e: f, b apparently.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

Dinictus posted:

This is great, you are great.

Holy poo poo lmao

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

FUKKEN posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPWyOiezACg

"Oh my god, It's gonna happen again. I'm in the warehouse, help me! He's got the doors!"

This is sublime. Their planitive wailing and confusion is better than any expletive-laden ragequit.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

Chomp8645 posted:

I don't see this as being a concern, mainly because there is absolutely no reason to transport time cards in the first place. The dev post says that you can redeem them at any station, NPC or otherwise, so there is no need to transport them and risk destruction.

Yes, but there's a huge segment of the EVE playerbase comprised entirely of morons. Never think there is something so fruitless and stupid and nonsensical that someone won't do it.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

I think I was the first one to mention The Slime Apocalypse way back int he first dozen pages or so, and it's almost not fair to compare any other griefing to it. It is griefing's Mona Lisa, unparallelled and unimitable. While I certainly agree that good griefing should be inventive and clever- look at some of the insanity Goonswarm managed to pull off in their heyday- we should be realistic in acknowledging few games offer the possibilities of a mad scientist toiling away in a secret laboratory before threatening to destroy the world, then pulling a "Laugh at me, will they!?" and destroying everything in the world, even the NPC-controlled supposedly-invincible guards.

The Slime Apocalypse was a beautiful, shining moment of griefing, and holding anything up to that standard is merely a recipe for disappointment.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

It's been so many years that I forget a lot of the details, but one time my friend and I fired up a MW game over LAN and basically griefed ourselves haha

If "We griefed ourselves" stories count, my best friend and I have one of these with starcraft, on some 2-player may where he was Terran and I was Protoss. We were both fairly aggressive players, so we're expanding and attacking, building up some force or another and throwing them at each other but always keeping a few behind for defense. It's a slug fest, back and forth as expansions are captured and lost, strikes are sent in and repelled, on and on, mineral fields stripped bare and turned into siege tanks, vespene geysers sucked dry to fuel archon transformations.

Finally, while I'm amassing a strike force on my last base, I see one of his science vessels approacing, since he pretty much always softened protoss up with a suicied-emp if he could help it. My coastal photons lose their shield, but pop the Science vessel and the first couple dropships as he starts dumping goliaths and firebats all over my base, just coming out one after the other, even a few SCV's to try and off-heal his vehicles.

It was basically impossible to see the screen. "Clusterfuck" doesn't begin to describe the frantic microing we were both engaging in. Finally, with my last couple zealots, I take down the last goliath, and realize with a sinking feeling that I've lost. I don't have a single mineral left on the island, my main base is in shambles, and I've got 42 minerals to my name. I'm not the kind to just "gg" and quit, though, so I pull my zealots back behind my remaining zealots and wait- if he's gonna steamroll me, he's gonna have to earn it, dammit.

So I wait. And wait. And wait. As the minutes crawl by, I think, "He's just gonna come in here with a fleet of battlecruisers and ymato my rear end to the ground", and just as I'm losing patience, the message appears in chat: "Are you gonna finish me off, or what?"

He had spent every mineral he had, thrown every troop he had at me down to his SCV's on that last push, and my destruction of it had crippled him utterly. Couldn't even mine up a new dropship. So there we were, me broken and powerless on an island, and him broken and powerless on the mainland. We eventually called it a draw and switched games for the night.

When it happened again two weeks later, this time with him as the Zerg and me only able to menace his structures by flying my empty barracks overhead, we decided that we just wouldn't play RTSes 1v1 against each other anymore. :shobon:

tl;dr: How the hell do you get a "draw" result in an RTS?

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

Archaeology Hat posted:

To be fair, I would probably have silently quit the moment the first goatse came up. I guess the difference is that I would have shrugged and tried a different game rather than got angry.

This is one of the eternal questions of this thread- "Why don't they just change servers?"

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

Songbearer posted:

Only if it's your own rear end in a top hat you're goatseing with :colbert:

I just shivered a bit. The goatman has been passed around so much you kind of forget it's human anymore. The goatman simply is, and attempting to parse that onto normal human anatomy is just... :gonk:

Thread just griefed me?

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

:eng101:

As a certified English Degree Smartypants(TM) I can say that "Griever" is incorrect, as it describes someone who is grieving for something, and the actions in question cause the perpetrator mirth more often than not. Griefing, however, hearkens back to the phrase "to give someone grief over something", in which case the subject is doing something to another, that would entail the grief-giving. While it is true that "Griefing" and "Griefer" are not in fact words you'd find in the OED, like many pieces of industry-related jargon (However flimsy an occupation "Gamer" might be, granted) it is nonetheless an accepted and clearly understood term that succinctly and accurately describes a certain behavior and/or one who perpetrates such behaviors.

Put simply, there's no reason to try and make the bastard term conform to established grammar rules because it's already doing the job it's supposed to as it is.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

One of? Did we lose the top spot? :(

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

Oh, I know about the Great Sundering, but I thought Goonwaffe was in full swing terrorizing the complacent still?

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

Vib Rib posted:

But I mean, honestly, who would want to go and play that just to fill the role they were given responsibly and not get up to any trouble?

...Me?

I just like to help people. v:shobon:v

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

Gabe and Tycho seem to be weighing in on the whole griefing thing. Can't wait to read the newspost.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2011/8/10/

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

You know, I remember that first "caption animals!" thread that really set off the whole lolcats thing, even the original "invisible bike!" pic, and I'm wondering if it'd be as funny to go through it again today.

Sadly, I can't seem to find it in the goldmine or the archives- did it get spite-deleted once it got ran into the ground? :(

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

What? C'mon, the Great Haargoth Heresy got several trillion worth of isk and assets at least, just in liquid/atable assets.

Biggest scam in EVE my sweet patooie. <:mad:>

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

I just remember being amazed that even way back then Neal Stephenson knew that given a chance there would be SOMEbody who would choose to walk around as a giant penis in virtual reality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

LordBaxter posted:

Yep, And the casting player gets to keep the souls that it cost the target.

This is something I'd expect to see from the Eve-Online thread. Kill you, steal your poo poo, laugh, repeat.

• Locked thread