Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

uranus posted:

hey everybody! what's you're favorite position on the board? I'm partial to R3! C7 is also pretty nice. lets discuss!

gochat will return after these messages

K10. First move, every game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

Haven't run across anyone so rude yet. The worst I had was a newbie who didn't seem to get how to play but still soldiered on to a two hour 237 point loss until he finally listened to how to end the game with consecutive passes. Nice enough fellow but just would not resign after it was clear I wasn't on his level, ie first game ever. I'm bad, so that was excruciating.

But at least he wasn't a really weird projecting antisemite.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

uranus posted:

pander play morrrreee

Okay. I'm trying to warm myself up by playing 13x13 godroid and losing HOOOOOOOORRIBLY. I thought AIs were supposed to be bad at Go?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

uranus posted:

they win by playing so fast and tricking you into playing fast. thats my theory
well I also forgot literally everything I knew and kept fighting tooth and nail for like a point instead of establishing territory. I have no functional ability to attack or invade anymore.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

This tournament was a terrible idea because I'm the lowest ranked and probably gonna get murdered in like 10 concurrent games.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

o.m. 94 posted:

Stand up for yourself and play the very best you can. If you want a review, just ask!

Yeah that came out more negative than I meant. I'm actually pretty excited about so many games going on at once, and yeah reviews from any/all would be cool. I feel like I'm at the point where the early intermediate concepts are starting to stick, but I still lack the eye for seeing where to strike globally, solving L&D, and setting good nets.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

IMlemon posted:

Kgs is far superior as a platform and has more players. You need to install java which is a pain however, and you don't have correspondence games there. Also OGS goon chat is completely dead, I gave it a shot some months ago an never saw anyone online. Maybe it's better nowadays.

Not too much noise in the OGS goon chat, but maybe that's cause this thread is a fallback for communication and people just talk within the game-specific chat.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

So I was playing a live game last night, maybe my third live 19x19 ever after a couple with uranus like a year ago. I was kinda nervous, so I hoped to just do some simple josekis until poo poo Got Real when hopefully I'd be settled in and analytical instead of rushed and stressed.

He had a 4-4 point, I did a low approach knight jump, then he responded with an outside hit on move 6. I wasn't used to being attached to directly that early, and I was pretty sure it was an inefficient move. The problem was I wasn't used to it, so I didn't have a good response. I thought about just separating the 4-4 stone from his 3-7 stone by extending, but I went the wrong way and let msyelf get killed entirely. Oops.

So I'm looking at it now...what's a good way to respond to that kind of early attachment? Hane? Extend?

game is: https://online-go.com/game/2153712

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

AdorableStar posted:

So today I received a package from a mysterious Xenocrates Ombar, whoever that is.

Hmmm

Xom posted:

You can do it!
Reach for the low-hanging fruit and get strong fast!

KGS handle: Xombar
Current rank: 13 kyū
Learned rules: 1 month ago
Total time spent: 63 hours
Total non-full-board play: ~4 games
Sources used:
> The Interactive Way To Go
> Sensei's Library wiki
> going over games with KGS goons - shoutouts to Wasuji, IWantHam, Athanos

Boy it's a real mystery!

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

BoredMarc posted:

I just lost 3 times against the computer. At the end of the last game the computer controlled every single space on the board.

I think oiseaux did that to me on a 9x9 when I was new. I almost did that to someone else on a 19x19. Just means its an uneven fight in some capacity. Can you add handicap stones?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

so uranus and I completed a pretty good game (by my standards anyway). Anyone want to offer a review?

https://online-go.com/game/2237313

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

o.m. 94 posted:

In which Batts doesn't fight, or play Jo/Fuseki in order to demonstrate the power of fundamentals. i might try playing like this for a bit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8f5-vAZ3Jik

the best part was the pain he endured not killing weak groups.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

tonberrytoby posted:

In this tournament I am playing a lot of opponents whom I have never heard of. Who are you people?

I try to get my game reviewed when I am unsure on what I should focus on next.
I played against 3 of my opponents already in the last tournament, yay!

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

giogadi posted:

I get this absolutely being the right choice in higher-level games, but isn't it worthwhile to just play the game out in a low-level match? I mean, I understand resigning if there's really nothing happening except the opponent killing dead groups, but isn't there value in playing out endgame moves or fighting over undecided territory, even if there's no way you can catch up for a win? I lose most of my games, but those losses are my only chance to practice endgame for instance.

If you're going to just pass, then resign. But if you want practice, then keep playing with full intensity to learn. That's my attitude, anyway.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

uranus posted:

ive been thinking of a 'go review club', which would be something like a book club except we'd 'read' a professional game each week and discuss it. alternatively, or additionally, it could be like a writing group, and we'd each submit a game we played that week and the other members would comment on it and critique it. if that was going to be done, the group should probably be limited in size to around 5 or 6 players, since that would give each member 4 or 5 games to look over each week.

what do you all think? i think it would be helpful to have a group of people to talk about go with on skype or messenger or whatever, and share games with. i know we can do that in the thread but making a sort of camaraderie out of it would be more focused and could be even more helpful.

would anyone be interested in joining such a group?

Sure. Maybe we could have a D/SDK group and a separate DDK group?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

uranus posted:

i can play later tonight if you want to play a handicap/teaching game. or challenge me on ogs, same username, and we can play a correspondence game

ditto. I'm new enough that I will understand where you're coming from :)

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

My laptop hates java, so I only use OGS now. I'm Pander there. Just get a login and you're basically ready to go. Not the greatest for random matches, but I never seem to have much trouble as a double-digit kyu.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

I keep trying, kgs hates me and my computer. Doesn't matter the browser. Client doesn't work.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Go is the process of discovering new mistakes you try (and typically fail) to avoid making in the future.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

AttackTheMoon posted:

Where do you people go to play Go? Noone around me plays it so its a bit sad that I keep having to play on my own.

If you mean in real life, I haven't. I've never seen a goban in person.

If you mean online, then I use OGS (online-go.com, a browser-based go server). Others use kgs (https://www.gokgs.com a java-based go server). Others still have preferred sites, often in Chinese or Korean.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Quad posted:

If any of y'all are Chicagoons, there's a club in Schaumburg, thursday nights, at a Starbucks. I used to go a lot, but stopped since it's a bit far away. I'd go again if there were goons though.

Yeah I'm southwest suburbs. I could try that out sometime. Saw the groups on the go association site but didn't know if they were active or just relics.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

ThePineapple posted:

There's also a club that meets in Lakeview (in the city) on Tuesday nights, which is the one I tend to go to. You should check it out!

Nah, a bit too far for me. I don't go into the city too much.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Xom posted:

Black to play

Wouldn't it be H1? Forces J1, then F2 kills.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Xom posted:

wowowow good job
(how the hell did you see H1)

Was reading Kageyama lately, compared to his problems this wasn't too hard :)

e. to get a bit more into my thinking Just thought about how I could disconnect eyes and/or find weak groups to separate once it seemed like reducing eyespace wouldn't work alone. No way to kill separated F2 group yet. H2 group had limited free space, and I knew that if I could force a white stone at J1 then it'd be a false eye that I could exploit. After the H1 move, it was a matter of figuring out how to leverage my 2 liberties with F1 vs his 2 liberties with the F3 group.

Pander fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jul 14, 2015

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

uranus posted:

also holy wow is lessons in the fundementals of go really good. already 1/3 through it, its very enjoyable read and doesnt feel like 'studying' at all.

If you cannot see the obvious properness of this move, you have learned nothing!

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

uranus posted:

also holy wow is lessons in the fundementals of go really good. already 1/3 through it, its very enjoyable read and doesnt feel like 'studying' at all.

It's a big reason I've gone from feeling like I'm an idiot who happens to win randomly to having an unexpected ounce of confidence. Just having a well-written book about connectedness, good shape, and the like helps refocus things.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

o.m. 94 posted:

I've had about two bottles of Reisling and just lost 3 games 9x9 against a 12k, nice to see I'm back in this

I play a lot of 9x9 against the godroid AI, and every time I think I have a decent philosophy in place I lose a bunch in a row.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Am I being butthurt, or is it bad form for someone to play out a game to move 186 (about 2 moves away from being pass-pass) and only THEN resigning, when they were already at 0% chance to win at move ~110? I just don't get it. If you're going to resign, maybe do it 50 turns earlier?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

17k. Like after I sealed off 100 points of territory and kept him constrained to maybe 50 it was kinda obvious but then the game went on 40 more moves around margins.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

uranus posted:

after typing that i have to wonder.... after being stuck at around 10k for like 9 months, i suddenly rise 3 ranks in a couple months... right after starting to read fundementals of go.... . . . . a powerful book, it seems

I started reading it just before that round robin SA tournament. Tournament started and I was a 21k. Tournament ended and I was 13k. I credit the book (and dwyrin's videos) with giving me that long-missing sense of confidence when I play a move that I have an idea and purpose behind it. Connecting as life, not being afraid to sacrifice, avoiding small moves, and (critically for me) how to win without crazy fighting skills.

Got Attack and Defense now, so hopefully that last weakness in my game (terrified of fighting) can be brought in to reins.

So I guess what I'm saying is that reading is succeeding!

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

AdorableStar posted:

Fighting is bad.

Um, k. guess I'll never fight then! Should work out swimmingly

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

o.m. 94 posted:

Theres a Bats lecture where he basically tries to do this (play as simply and peacefully as possible) and it works out well for him

Yeah, but several times during the lecture he bemoans the fact he can't fight and simply wipe out his opponent instead of playing only fundamentals.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

uranus posted:

what is the best way to respond to this kind of invasion? i thought i remembered something from attack and defense about being able to kill this when strong on both sides like that. so i did diagonal move from the right side and ended up getting myself killed :/

whats the best response in this situation?

Why can't you cap and contain?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

D4?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

uranus posted:

i tricked someone into resigning, and feel a bit bad about it, though im not sure why, since my objective in the area was that he'd make a mistake and i'd live somehow. if he had actually made the mistake and i lived, then i wouldnt feel too bad, but he only made the mistake in his head and resigned because of it, some how that makes me feel like i stole the game. i guess because if he had tried to resign in person i probably would have stopped him.

oh well. here is the move he resigned on, though you can see i'm clearly dead:

Are you sure you're dead? I can't open a window to test my theory, but I figured
Q12
P12
O14
R12
Q14
connect
S12 - white's two groups die

e. misread, thought you were black. Yeah, as white you're boned. You feel that guilt! Wear it!

Pander fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Sep 2, 2015

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

AdorableStar posted:

Shadondra is scary.

Really? I found him super-easy to beat thanks entirely to timeout

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Blitz to me seems like golf where all golfers are required to jog to their ball and immediately hit it, every time, and they can only use a 5 wood for everything.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Which server?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

uranus posted:

lose by timeout, win by timeout, lose by sucking.

blitz feels kind of like gambling on your opponent doing something stupid or timing out

I did blitz once, had a pretty sizable lead then lost a gigantic group I couldn't make life with. Decided it wasn't my thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

haha