Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

AGA posted:

Lee Sedol-Gu Li Jubango Game 2 Broadcast Set for Feb 22 (US time)

The second game in the historic Lee Sedol-Gu Li jubango will be broadcast live on GoPanda2 on February 23, starting at 9AM local time in Shanghai (2/22 5p PST, 8p EST). Myungwan Kim 9P will provide live commentary (written, not audio) beginning two hours later (2/22 7p PST, 10p EST). “I hope Gu Li can show a good fighting spirit and even up the match,” Kim says.
I assume Go Game Guru also will broadcast the game, though I don't see a post about it on their website.

Maybe on KGS someone will put a board up in ITGO again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
JUBANGO Chinese language stream recording

Xom fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Feb 23, 2014

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

uranus posted:

I need to learn to read the score better
Please find someone on KGS other than me to explain how all my moves that game were scam after scam—I can't do it because I would die of shame halfway through.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

(as usual) Black to play.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

Kheldragar posted:

White to play

I got nothing.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

Ko?

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

pointsofdata posted:

if black just plays c1 what can white do about it? feel like i'm missing something
B c1, W b1, ko

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
In case you missed it in the OP:

sensual donkey punching posted:

oiseaux morts 1994 posted:

--> Players unfamiliar with the rules of the game should start here <--

The above link is an essential interactive tutorial on the fundamentals. Try going through it a couple of times. If you're happy with that, try also following lovely's amazing guide here, which will guide you further along the path to becoming a solid, merciless Go player.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

Status?

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

oiseaux morts 1994 posted:

White is dead because you can ladder her backwards into your stones after G3 and then extending the atarid stone, this sets up the ladder.
Neat.

How about now?

EDIT: argh ninja'd H3 solves this one too
EDIT EDIT: unless W H2 works

Xom fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Mar 2, 2014

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
What I had in mind was: Is there a standard way to chase along the side here, or can White manage to make another eye eventually, and in that case does 'eventually' require reaching the opposite corner (which wouldn't happen in a real game)?

That loose ladder upward is a neat trick, though!

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
Kheldragar here's that lecture I told you about :

Bat's Lecture Series - Nov 16th - Ama vs Pro

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
http://gogameguru.com/man-machine-match-final-results-game-commentary

Interesting commentary on Zen19 on $4000 computer vs. 2-dan amateur, written with kyū readers in mind.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

I am a female professional baduk player from South Korea, AMA! posted:

there are two ways to study Life and death or tesuji problems. In case of tesuji, I used to memorize the possible variations in a problem instead of trying to come up with the solution myself. Still some take the way i did or some other try to solve and put more time on a particular problem , either way if you end up being like a dictionary then you succeed.
Interesting opinion.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
What's the pronunciation of Tygem, anyhow?

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

How to choose A or B?
(other than "A is usual.")
AFAICT, A or B both give White the choice between living inside or pushing at d10.

Xom fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Mar 13, 2014

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
I brought it up in KGS Teaching Ladder, and the answer is that White has monkey jump in the last variation. (Also, the Black d10 variation misses that White can cut directly at d11.)

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
Also someone there said that EidoGo has slightly less misinformation (misconceptions and speculation by amateur dan) than Kogo's.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

I don't know where this is from (but probably not dan material); is there anything more interesting going on than just c2?

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
virtual machine

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

KGS March Iron Man Tournament
Kyu Handicap Division Round 4
avi (4k) vs. Xombar (5k)

Aeroplane reviewed a (non-ITGO-league) game I played. Thanks Aero!

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

uranus posted:

I was reading a review of jubango #2 and a I know it's the highest level of play so most of the moves will be beyond me, but move 191 seems like a pointless throw it. can someone explain the purpose of this move? http://gogameguru.com/go-commentary-gu-li-vs-lee-sedol-jubango-game-2/
Here's my guess as to what's going on (I didn't bother to read it out): It's sente when it's played (g1 followup), and forces White to play additional teire (reinforcing moves inside his territory) when dame are filled.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
Hey, one of you DDKs try to win with Mirror Go taking 2 Handi against a bot significantly stronger than you.
I'd like to see what happens. :kheldragar:

(click for manual flipping)

*Not pictured: a bot significantly stronger than me. (note also the winning margin was affected by the bot's lategame desperation plays)

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

Today I learned the reason to o6 instead of o5 is that W q6 makes good shape.

Where should Black play now?

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
I split my games into three 40-game batches by how much respect I had for those opponents. Should've done four batches to split off the 1-2 kyu and dans, but I'm too lazy to redo it.

quote:

Xom: hahaha
Xom: my estimated power level vs. batch A opponents: 1d
Xom: vs. batch B opponents: 1d
Xom: vs. batch C opponents: 7k
Xom: batch C includes my Great Wall attempts
Xom: I think I even lost most of those games
Kheldragar: Xom is actually 1d
Kheldragar: No wonder I lose more horribly to you
Kheldragar: Xombagger
Kheldragar, you're Batch C. :kheldragar:

Territorialness is balanced overall, with more Moyo in Batch A and more Territory in Batch C. I wonder if it's that I end up settling for influence when denied profit.

Novelty (a.k.a. Weirdness imo) is balanced overall, and is higher in Batch A and lower in Batch C.

Aggression is high except in Batch C where I'm calm (remember, the app doesn't analyze handi games, so Batch C are no-handi games against weaker opponents).

Thickness is balanced in all three batches.

In all three batches, "We found out, that you really like to capture stones. This is not necessarily a bad thing, but are you always sure, that the stones you captured are important and the mere 6 points you get for capturing them is the best move on board? (E.g. in the opening, ...)"

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

AGA posted:

Two more veteran players have retired as of March 31. They are Ishida Akira 9P and Fukui Susumu 9P. Ishida was born in Tokyo on May 23, 1949 and became a disciple of Fukuda Masayoshi 8P. He became 1-dan in 1966 and 9-dan in 1982. He won the top section of the rating tournament (Oteai) in 1972 and the 3rd and 4th King of the New Stars titles (1978 and 1979). He played in six Meijin leagues and one Honinbo league. At his peak, when he played in the Meijin league for six years in a row, Ishida impressed as one of the top players on the go scene, but he never put it together to win a big title.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
Want something from Kiseido?

SA-Mart: Help me spend my $18 Kiseido credit!

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
As far as English Go books go, the "Big Four" are Tesuji, Attack and Defense, Opening Theory Made Easy, and Lessons in the Fundamentals of Go.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

A "trick joseki".

Is it actually good for White?

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

Aeroplane posted:

It seems insufficient for White; Black gets to choose which side, and White's corner is small. I mean, compared to White extending his stone.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
What should Black play instead?

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

(EidoGo link)

1 is a standard move; 2 is kyū instinct. But how to handle 2? The first sequence in the link is recommended in A&D; the other two are wild guesses by me. I showed the latter to a 2-dan in KGS Teaching Ladder, whose only comment was perhaps the invasion was overplay to begin with so a bad result is expected. (But A&D recommended the trade?!)

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
You don't NEED to spend money to get strong, though it might be efficient to buy certain theory books good for reading and rereading (also classes might be a good idea either if you're dan-level or if you're some ultra-busy CEO). For everything else (tsumego, lectures, etc.), what's available for free is good enough IMO. (I'm especially impressed by the free episodes of Bad UK Movies I've watched so far.)

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
BEEP BOOP I HEARD YOU LIKE FUN
code:
10 INPUT "IS IT FUN?", A$
20 IF A$ = "N" THEN GOTO 70
30 INPUT "IS IT MORE FUN THAN FREE THINGS?", A$
40 IF A$ = "N" THEN GOTO 70
50 PRINT "BUY BUY BUY"
60 GOTO 140
70 INPUT "IS IT HIKARU NO GO?", A$
80 IF A$ = "Y" THEN GOTO 110
90 PRINT "DON'T BUY"
100 GOTO 140
110 PRINT "WHY DON'T YOU LIKE HIKARU NO GO"
120 PRINT "YOUR OPINIONS ARE BAD"
130 GOTO 50
140 END

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
What I enjoy most is trying to get stronger as efficiently as I can, but certainly there are other factors that make Go appealing to me that I don't really consciously think about. Whatever you enjoy, just do it.

edit: ask Detroit I think he has Bad UK TV

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

uranus posted:

if its not worth it for all the classes
By 'classes' I meant personal tutoring. (I think you may have thought I meant lecture videos; sorry if I was unclear.)

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
Go-websites-only search engine: http://find.gogame.info

quote:

"There are many sites dedicated to Go by amateurs who don't invest much money or effort in making their sites popular among search engines." "The verb 'to go' makes the situation even more difficult." "The situation with Asian Go masters who have short and common names is also confusing."

"We have made a special search engine, based on Google Custom Search, which searches information only on Go-related sites." "We allow people to suggest new sites to crawl. Each site passes moderation, so you can be sure that each side is relevant to the subject of your search."

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
I was reflecting today that I was particularly weak at direction of play…
But then I played a game from which the following position is simplified:

I should mention that it was a close game where any capture would be enough. The sequence shown is slightly sharper than what was actually played (the order is also somewhat interchangeable). Even in review these moves were hard to find, though the impressive 1-3-5 sequence was played in the game itself.

I wonder if there's an efficient way to practice this sort of thing. Maybe it's time to abandon 19x19 for a while?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

xopods posted:

Nice series of cuts, but I'm not sure what this has to do with direction of play, which is a strategic concept, not a tactical one.
I meant it along the lines of "I'm bad at direction of play but with these kinds of situations it's hard to care".