Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost
the people demand a go congress report.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost
alright you could have just said go congress was gay its cool

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost

h_double posted:

How do I get access to ITGO? (I'm hdouble on KGS)

ive added u, u can just join directly

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost
wish i had money, but my broke rear end gotta study what i already got

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost
godiscussion.com is a great way to get a review game!!! (u can also just ask in itgo)

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost
It has load problems from time to time but it's not that frequent in my experience

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost
come forget about your upcoming exams and plkay the go game with us. stop playing gay robot game helsbectar or whatever it is u do. Come to go

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost
drat noice

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost
this is a go related youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMoTxULhWMM

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost
i was commanded to bump this thread in the interests of promoting go. go, the only winning move is not to play. join us and perish

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost
oh we had a game a year ago

Only registered members can see post attachments!

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost
ps made that poo poo with http://gowrite.net/GOWrite2.html textures off bitches

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost
i avoid playing go because i am literally crazy

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost
i was wondering where prod went. goonspeed

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost
hels did yuo send me a book and a mysterious pin

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost
Hello folks

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost
drat. some brave souls here. guess ill slot myself in to get a solid 3d by 2013

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost
poste

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost
Yes. Join the internet server, play the games, read the books (have the books?)

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost
KGS is sitll where its AT

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost
C3 isn't the start of any good result for black, true, but C5 is the start of several equal variations.

I'd play L6 at L5 instead, but I'd also consider attempting a forcing play at P7 instead.

If I were trying to play honestly I'd press at C6 instead of L5 or P7, since white should have extended to C8 or D7. C6, B6, C7, B7, C8, B8, C9.. white can push from behind all day on 2nd line to your advantage. Even if he lives that way and takes sente to play a big point or seek stable life on the bottom, the thickness you get from that result gives you a convincing advantage.

The result to E5 was terrible for black!

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost
I like 5 - 10 minutes main time and then 30 second byo-yomi. I run into time trouble, but that discourages wasting time thinking about things unnecessarily. If I don't know what to do in too many places in a game, it means I should be playing more straightforward moves. Once the game is won or lost, it usually becomes a bit easier to pinpoint the mistakes and figure out why a position was so hard to think about for the next time around. Solving life & death and tesuji problems makes playing quickly much easier!

e: Note I am playing 20+ correspondence games on OGS so really what I like to do is agonize about positions for weeks on end, I am a hypocrite

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost
I don't get any errors running the KGS client, what kind are you seeing and what OS / java version are you running?

Be Tygem

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost
Inimitable: Gu Li vs Lee Sedol

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost
At low dan level joseki are a comedy of errors. I think you'll have to take a certain amount of pleasure in learning some joseki variations and punishment to progress in the game. A disaster in every corner adds up to a lost game, and even a properly played but poorly chosen variation in a single corner can decide the result of a match. There is an incredibly large gap between an expert player and a beginner, and at any given level of ability a bit of extra joseki knowledge can help you progress further, but is not strictly necessary. New joseki are developed by professional players all the time, and the judgement of what constitutes joseki and what does not changes through the years as well.

If you can read well enough to get equal or better results than your opponents (whatever strength they may be) in corner situations, then you don't need to know any joseki at all. If your opponents know many joseki well and you have to read every move as if it were new, you'll probably find yourself at a disadvantage.

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost
gonna drop a link to this bitcoins go server here - https://bitcoingo.io/

if you play games here in the weekly tournament and win any of them, you get some free internet money

the guy who wrote the site plays there as steve and is reasonably strong (5d?) and there are some stronger players there as well. you can check previous tournament results to see who they are - all the games are played on even, so disregarding the free internet money it's nice place to get schooled if you can get a game

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost
its an easy way to mix money with competitive play.

sumimasen, my goon companions...,

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost

fresh catchphrase posted:

Lemme in on OGS, I am an idiot noob bitch

KGS is better when you're an idiot noob bitch, as OGS games are mostly slow

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost
kind of true, but its game of black and white circles. kgs has better social features, teaching / review function and a much larger active playerbase. ogs is prettier though

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost
play move 106 at H11 and eaet stone

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost
I lost pretty convincingly to that guy, so I'm going to call him 2d

http://online-go.com/game/505244

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost
Probably something to do with how weak the black group is?

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost
http://gostyle.j2m.cz/WAPP_RES/13245494-7c32-470a-9e5f-b62fc61dd238/

my kgs 1d account is kgs 3d apparently

i need to play more of my games on a single account

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost
imagine three samples on the edge of a cliff

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost

xopods posted:

If you're going to play locally, R8 is probably better than R9 as it discourages the Q6 attachment to make shape - in response, Black can then bulge at Q7 and make a powerful shape himself.

Kosumi at Q7 is also an option.

But probably you just tenuki most of the time. The Black group is already alive and doesn't need an extension.

http://gogameguru.com/korea-wins-4th-zhaoshang-cup/

Saw an example of Q7 in Kim Jiseok vs Fan Tingyu on that page and thought of this discussion

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost

Xom posted:

I found the Hikaru no Go thread (in the archives) and it owns. Some guy in IRC is schooling people left and right ("don't play him without at least 8 handi!") and the thread finds someone to challenge him ("no ghosts allowed!") with a forums upgrade on the line. Challenger loses and buys forums account for guy. Guy is 20 kyu.

blast from da past. i played on a goon NNGS server with those guys once, i believe the "hub" mentioned was a goon DC server. they were all much better than me, KGS 28 kyu at the time. poster slorb has been on ITGO in (relatively) recent years, and has also much improved.

e: skimmed through whole thread. there's WuChou in there too!

sensual donkey punching fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Apr 12, 2014

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost

Zekky posted:

I just played a game where I felt like I was doing well, but I didn't end up with much territory at the edges. I think I focused too much on blocking instead of aggressively placing stones. It seemed like I should have been able to achieve more with the position I had around move 75. Would anyone be willing to review the game? It was played on KGS but I'm not sure how to link to it.

Download the game from KGS, upload the SGF to here: http://eidogo.com/

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost
SOme of them have Ko or seki as answer, yes

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost

xopods posted:

The fact that RL amateur ranks only go up to 7d should be a tip-off that a KGS 9d is someone who, although strong at Go, has equal knowledge of KGS's absurd rating system, an unhealthy interest in rating, and no shame. If KGS didn't hard cap ratings at 9d, I'm pretty sure we'd have a few "15d" by now.

Or he is Andy Liu, one of the first new american professional players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost
Even in these sadly diminished times, if you hold KGS 9d and can play competitively against most of the other KGS 9d on the server, you can entertain a professional player (or you are one, or have been one in the past - many KGS 9d accounts are owned by professional players). That's some pretty overstated hate for an essentially sound ranking system.