Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost
Not very often, because KGS is in decline. Also not very often because many of the players strong enough to hold 9d don't play during EST evening hours.

http://www.gokgs.com/top100.jsp

Most of the 9d in that list are either socially known alts for strong players, or have long histories on kgs. (i.e., Sweetrip for the former category, and kghin in the latter category). The same goes for the not so large list of 8d and 7d. If you look at their games in the archive, you can judge how legitimate the records are for yourself. But if you haven't seen many of them play yourself, why talk trash about them?

Most of the games between the strong players are blitz, just like on every other go server east or west. But not all of them - you should be able to find slow games in the history of most of the players in that list. There's nothing instrinsic to KGS's ranking system preventing strong players from meeting to play frequently, there has just been a gradual decline in the population of strong players over most of the past decade. The strong players who are left still come because they have been playing each other for years and enjoy the social setting of the server.

You might be convinced that some of the blitz players on KGS have artificially inflated ranks due to blitz nonsense, but I would disagree that the majority of them are meaningfully weaker than similarly ranked players on any other major server.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost
Take for example rapyuta:

http://www.gokgs.com/gameArchives.jsp?user=rapyuta&year=2007&month=9&oldAccounts=y

Rumored to be insei, came to KGS to play marathon blitz sessions and ruined everybody. I was logged on for most of the games in that list - around that time, I was on KGS every day and would see 9d and 8d games all the time. I guess some of them play on Tygem and WBaduk now, or maybe they only play in clubs. Probably a few of them aren't playing frequently anywhere - most players who reach 9d do it at a young age, and some of them probably spend most of their time doing other stuff after they become adults.

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost

o.m. 94 posted:

Just think about it as your opponents also make misclicks and gently caress up when they should have won so it evens out in the long run.

This goes for really dumb mistakes too, lot of improvement in go is just widening the definition of what a dumb mistake is and then trying your best not to make em anymore

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost
i added you in. hello again thread

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost
those are good books.

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost
drat

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost
waht the hell is a joseki farm. cant stop clickning

ah its kogos. this si why it is full of strange patterns

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost
community games suck. ascii boards also suck. play game on server and we can discuss it, or at least use pictures

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost
oGS sux

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost
I've emailed the KGS admins about ITGO. Maybe it will return.

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost
Both gone..

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost
wew nearly 10 years in

played some go yesterday lads. was alright

sensual donkey punching