Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

lookit this untex chump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

If hestler is any indication, adderall is the key

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

o.m. 94 posted:

Please correct me if I'm wrong but the entire sequence is a folly? It's hard to give an appropriate analysis without the context of the rest of the board, but black should have tenuki'd after white N16. The attack at P14 was just mindlessly following the concept of attacking weak points, except white O13 would have nullified it. P14 is a terrible move. Even with white generously attaching to strengthen black, black spent four moves achieving absolutely nothing

Agreed, black 9 is retarded. There is no threat to the cut. White should play S13 or N17, depending on the rest of the board.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

quote:

I'm going to need some opinions here about this game. http://eidogo.com/#3QdkDNn9h

B7 - Normally I don't like playing the large knight enclosure but I feel it either gives me an enclosure with free sente or an attack on white's splitting stone. If he had approached high I would've just taken profit and split the lower side in the middle to make sure he can't build much.

I play this a lot but I just do the small enclosure. I can see what you were reaching at with the large one, but think about two things - first, the enclosure is easier to invade, and white already has a supporting stone, and second, N17 isn't a critical area to control. From white's perspective, g17 is much better than n17, so there won't be any rush to play there. Anyway, you just want to button down the top and be done with it.

quote:

W8 - I didn't know what to do about it so I tenuki.

This is what I meant with the small enclosure. White overextended here, but there's nothing for you to do but wait for later. (EDIT FROM FUTURE HELSBECTER: later never even came in this game! that's how boring this area of the board is. p17 supremacy)

quote:

B11 - How do I respond to this cap? Anything I can think of after W12 makes it seem like white gets too good of a deal with influence. Was B11 even correct?

It seems OK to me. Your invasion is too close, though - you need to go to a more open area.

quote:

After W16 I know I made a mistake with double approaching.

S5 seems like better shape than R5 here. You're going to have a hard time cutting, the way things stand.

quote:

B23 is dumb, he can just push right through.

Oh yeah, you got hosed up. S5 would have fixed that.

quote:

W30 should be an atari on my stone to remove the eye? What am I gonna do, play this ko?

I think white should atari. There's no reason for you to start the ko - you just extend and settle yourself.

quote:

B43 was too slow, but I was worried about my life. I shouldn't be - it's not the focus of attention at the moment

Your moves leading up to this are very small-minded. B33 is not a good peep, B35 could have extended much further, and B37 was provoking an attack on yourself. Maybe O10 for B33? Looks exciting.

quote:

B61 is made without reading. White's alive - there's nothing here.

B57 at O18 is much more sente. Seems like you could set up some horseshit in the corner rather easily.

quote:

B69 is where I want to know what I should be doing - I've played it out a bit (without reading, just playing) and it seems to be really complicated. I think B69 at Q14 then white P13 is a better sequence, but after this do I have a chance of killing if I continue to poke out his eyes rather than sealing him in? Sealing in is probably the proper thing to do before killing and I should be able to make use of it to attack the three space, but I just don't have that kind of confidence.

I'd have played N14 instead of connecting for B71. Once white gets it, things are too easy because of r12.

quote:

W94 - at this point I think I'm hosed but there's no way I'm not winning the ko.

White was dumb, it would have been better to just play L17 and connect.

quote:

W120 begins the last things I have questions about. I know that this is bad for white, but I wonder if I should've responded like how I did. I know I get bad shape, but I thought it was ok because I mutilate his stone at top that was trying to pincer me and I also keep him separated.

B121 absolutely should have been at D3. There's no way white wouldn't have responded at c3 - then you can atari and come back to b7. You want to get all those moves in, since this is white's only open area.

quote:

B129 probably not needed, but where do I play? E3?

B129 seems OK

quote:

With W140 I was not paying attention to the cut anymore.

loving directly with the cutting stone was not a good idea. If you had avoided it (say d8) I think you could have done better.

quote:

At B143 I decide to sacrifice it to make my moyo even bigger. I'm ahead by a fuckton, but if it were an even game then I'm not entirely sure.

I don't think the sacrifice was necessary.

quote:

I think at B159 some reviewers would say the game is over and stop commentating

It's been over for a while

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

AdorableStar posted:

I've added some variations to go with what you were talking about. http://eidogo.com/#43gOlYMWi

B35 should be here? I don't understand how B37 provokes and attack on myself - should I play p13 instead?

I'm thinking like this -

You have to move your group out in a way that doesn't force you to take gote to stabilize the bottom. That means not provoking white to split them - just get out into the center quickly. I thought the move in the picture was interesting because white O10, etc. just seems to make him heavy.

quote:

What do I do if W126 in my variation? Up to the W132 I expect it doesn't seem to good.

You've gone in the wrong order. You need to play that atari at D5 right away so when W126 comes, you can sacrifice the stone for complete safety.

quote:

e: W96 in my variation from white's L17 double atari doesn't actually connect himself. What did I miss? http://eidogo.com/#1UtH5lkiS

e2: this leads to a complicated capturing race that I think I can win.

If white grabs S11 after throwing in up top, you lose the race. If you grab S11, he has time to link up and live.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Pander posted:

Am I being butthurt, or is it bad form for someone to play out a game to move 186 (about 2 moves away from being pass-pass) and only THEN resigning, when they were already at 0% chance to win at move ~110? I just don't get it. If you're going to resign, maybe do it 50 turns earlier?

If there's one thing Tygem can teach you, it's that it's not over even after it's over

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

uranus posted:

what is the best way to respond to this kind of invasion? i thought i remembered something from attack and defense about being able to kill this when strong on both sides like that. so i did diagonal move from the right side and ended up getting myself killed :/

whats the best response in this situation?

Locally? E2. It's too early to attack.

This needs the whole board though to say for sure

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

R5, Q4, Q5, atari, connect, P6, FIGHT

What black played is too close, normally you'd go k4 because of the nice follow-up move of M3. White should have the advantage in this fight because of that

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

http://gostyle.j2m.cz/WAPP_RES/158fa4d4-1201-4cff-8c2e-a6cab38d2c8b/

I think it just overstates by about two stones consistently, I would not be 3d anywhere outside Japan...

EDIT:

It does cover my style of play pretty well, though. I am the Most Boring to play against

Under 15 fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Sep 4, 2015

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

AdorableStar posted:

Is it just me, or do people just become really fighty and aggressive at the 1-2k level for some reason

They do. It gets exponentially worse as you gain ranks

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

IMlemon posted:

Story time! A long long time ago i was 5k and stuck there. Then my opponent made an overplay and instead of just backing off like I always used to I thought "gently caress you you rear end in a top hat you really think you can get away with that? How about I murder your face?" Few weeks later I was 2k.

Yeah. If you go through pro games a lot of them are like "you made a three space extension, you ASSFUCKER" and the whole game turns into a mess

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Increase time remaining as votes pour in and decrement it as a consensus emerges. Vulnerable to proxy abuse, though, I suppose

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Uncle Jam posted:

Alright check back with me in November.

I too would appreciate a skank rear end floor board, I will report back in november

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

gently caress all yall that don't want to play r5 http://con-go.net/

Also shipping a table like that from Japan would be disgusting. I can only imagine how excited customs would be about some huge nasty old block of wood. It could wind up being $200-$300 by the time you're done loving around with brokerage, etc

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

AdorableStar posted:

Just play F3 or R9.

nope, never play anything that lets your opponent complicate the situation. Hunker down and let them try in vain to make the game interesting.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

uranus posted:

hey one of you sports fans who knows how to do such things should organize a fantasy go league where we can draft players and get points when they win or whatever. would be a fun way to encourage paying attention to pro games.

I would do this for Korean League on Tygem. There's enough players that it would work I think

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Borachon posted:

The paper does *lots* of interesting things. From a quick glance, the main things are that it uses a DNN to weight/initialized MCST searches, it truncates rollouts and uses a different DNN to evaluate those abbreviated rollouts, and it started training these DNNs against a large database of 6d-9d KGS games, and then against its own games later. I expect they have been and will be training against Lee Sedol games. THey also use a lot of horsepower - 1200 cores and 170 GPS - for this.

Yeah I hadn't been following this but I looked at the games it played vs Fan Hui and they are bonkers. It clowns him so bad, honte as gently caress

I feel like you only got a shadow of its full force vs Fan Hui because it had him so under control. I want to see games against the boss man.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Elblanco posted:

What's bad about 9x9 I thought new players were recommended to play on smaller boards?

Yes, the main advantage of 9x9 for a new player is you can play a lot of games quick and gain experience. At a low-level you're going to learn 1-2 new things a game, so why not make it a 9x9 that takes ten minutes instead of a 19x19 that, at irresponsible time sittings, could take 90

It's like riding a bike... if you never get the initial speed going, you won't get anywhere and that will be the end of it.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

empty whippet box posted:

Got promoted to 5k on pandanet tonight :woop: all-time high! I was stuck at 6k since early november. I'll probably get smashed back down to 6k in short order but - progress!

thine whippet box runneth over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

posting ITT because I have been playing and now carry the title of 3dang

I credit the computer with all my victories, learning with AI assistance feel like cheating