Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
Is there any real difference between pre-tax and Roth 401k besides the taxes? When my company started offering Roth 401k, I kept the contributions up to my company match as pre-tax and the rest as Roth. So now I have both, but mostly pre-tax funds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

the one big difference that comes to mind is that roth 401k contributions (but not gains) can be withdrawn penalty free at any time without paying taxes or penalties since you've already paid taxes on it. any withdrawals are prorated between contributions and gains, so almost any withdrawal will have some portion hit with taxes and penalties, but the impact will normally less than a similar amount being withdrawn from a pre-tax 401k

it's not something to do unless you absolutely have to, but i suppose the extra flexibility could be an upside for people worried about being retirement rich and life poor when a life changing emergency hits

Thanks. That makes sense. It's probably pretty useless then since I already have a Roth IRA.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
If you had a lump sum and where retiring somewhere between the next 5 years and now, what are the best options? Vanguard or Fidelity target 2020 or 2025?

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
OK thanks, I'm checking out the LifeStrategy funds. I guess it's just managing risk tolerance. The target 2020 is at about 45/45/10 stocks/bonds/TIPS now. Are you saying that's way too conservative for you, even in retirement? The target funds look great for getting to retirement, maybe not afterward.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
By spreadsheet it out do you mean calculate all your math manually? Or are you using the functions? Because it seems easy to do what you want with a couple functions.

Future value: FV(rate, number of periods, payment, present value)

So for 8 years of contributions, 20 years after that to retirement
FV(10%,8,16500,1000000)
FV(10%,20,0,[previous FV])

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
Ah OK. I think I see what you mean

A few things first that I did not explain in my previous post:

- The way that financial functions work is that cash out is negative and cash in is positive. Opening a savings (or 401k) is cash "out" (you pay a bank this amount). Contributing to a savings (or 401k) is cash "out". The account balance is cash "in". A loan is cash "in" (a bank pays you for your collateral). A loan payment is cash "out".
Opening a savings or 401k and contributing annually for 20 years:
=FV(3.5%,20,-10800,0) result is positive because that is your account cash value
Principle on a 30 year mortgage after 20 years:
=FV(3.5%,20,-10800,200000) result is negative because that's what you still owe
Balance on a savings account with a 200k starting balance after contributing annually for 20 years:
=FV(3.5%,20,-10800,-200000) positive, cash in the account
Balance on a 401k after taking annual distributions for 20 years
=FV(3.5%,20,10800,-200000) positive, still have cash in the account

- Compounding is done per period
=FV(3.5%,20,10800,0) is compounded yearly
=FV(3.5%/12,20*12,10800/12,0) is compounded monthly

Sorry if it seems like I'm talking down to you or past you. The financial functions can be simple when you know how to use them but unintuitive and confusing if you don't.

Back to what I think you want:
Column B is your "present value" at year x from Column A
Column C is "future value" at age 55 if no more contributions since year x
Column D is "future value" at age 60 if no more contributions since year x

So
B2=FV(6%,A2,-[annual contributions],-[current balance/present value])
C2=FV(6%,55-[your age]-A2,-[annual contributions],-B2)
D2=FV(6%,60-[your age]-A2,-[annual contributions],-B2)

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
Personally I don't like giant spreadsheets so I'll keep it simple to something like this

A6=fv(B2,B4-B3, B5,B1)
A7=fv(B2,55-B4, 0,-B6)
A8=fv(B2,60-B4, 0,-B6)
A9=fv(B2,65-B4, 0,-B6)

Basic financial functions:
PV=present value
RATE=interest rate
NPER=number of periods
PMT=payment
FV=future value

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
Where are good places to put taxable investments? I'm looking at a 3 fund with
VTSAX
VTIAX
VBTLX
The dividends seem manageable for taxes.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
Got it! Thanks!

quote:

And if you've used up all your tax-advantaged space and still want to save more, read the Boglehead wiki page on tax-efficient fund placement!

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
That doesn't apply if you are acquiring the lump sum throughout the year and investing it all at once because you are losing the growth of those small individual investments. Investing money as you earn it isn't dollar cost averaging.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
Yeah, that's what I meant to say. I interpreted The Puppy Bowl as saying "paying into your 2022 retirement progressively throughout the year 2022 instead of in a lump sum in January 2023".

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

Femtosecond posted:

If I look at the differences between a 200k and 175k mortgage, the difference in payments over 30 years is $37,800. How do they come up with $12,800?

You still have to pay the 25k.
The difference between a 200k mortgage and a 175k mortgage + 25k down payment is $37,800 in payments - $25,000 down payment

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
I have a cash balance pension from my old job. Can I roll this into a Roth IRA, or does it need to be a trad IRA first? Is there a tax difference either way?

I may use it for a down payment on a house, but if not I'd like to invest it.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
I'm going to be rich. Just found an EE savings bond.
I wish they still issued paper bonds because they look so cool.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
Anyone use an FSA? I have an HSA, and the option of a limited purpose FSA as well. I declined the FSA again this year, but it's probably better to fund it for teeth cleanings and eye exams.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

Strong Sauce posted:

you can just keep ~610ish in there and let it rollover every year without spending it. if you need to spend it, buy some bandaids or something.

That's fair. It's limited purpose FSA, so dental and vision only. I'd be buying some contact lense solution.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

CmdrRiker posted:

I thought MM funds were similar to HYSAs (though higher risk, but small interest and still liquid) used as tools to store funds to earn a little interest before you invest it in something.

Something to note is that a money market account is a deposit account similar to a HYSA. It's not a money market fund and has nothing to do with mutual funds.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
You shouldn't need to decide between one or the other. You can contribute to both and switch it up any time (if your plan allows it, check your plan). When I had access to a Roth 401k, I used the trad 401k to get where I wanted tax-wise, then the rest in Roth 401k.

Another thing to consider is that if you change jobs and need to rollover your 401k into an IRA, your Roth 401k money can go to a Rollover Roth IRA without conversion. Minimizing your trad IRA will make backdooring easier if you think that's an option for you in the future.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
The thread title might be a bit juvenile, but we've been buying ibonds since before it was cool so we're pretty sophisticated

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

Ubiquitus posted:

Thanks for the feedback!

Hm so then my best option is most likely to take the 2% match pre-tax, and separately open a vanguard IRA and max the rest of my allowable (post tax) limit there?

Sorry if these are dumb questions, all my previous retirement options were much more clear cut than this one.

Yes. That's what the OP recommends:

"[panic posted:

" post="345722713"]
In general, most people would want to follow these rules:

1) Contribute to 401(k) up to employer match. Always get the free money!
2) Max out Roth IRA ($6,000 limit in 2022). You can skip this if your 401k options are good and you don't need the extra tax-advantaged space.
3) Max out 401(k) ($20,500 limit for 2022)
4) If you were able to finish Step 3, you will end up rich in all likelihood.

Remember to continue to step 3 when possible. A bad 401k is better than no 401k, and when you leave that company you can roll it over to something better.

Do you have any funds available besides what you posted? There weren't any equity funds. The target date funds at this point are mostly equity, so it's not much more risky to put everything into a SP500 or total US fund for a few years at your age.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
Does the 5 year rule apply to rollovers that are from another Roth account? Such as:
1) I rollover a Roth IRA from one institution to another
2) I rollover a Roth 401k into a Roth IRA

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

I think they're talking about less of a normal emergency fund (e.g. 3 months expenses) and more about how to put aside the remainder that probably won't be touched. It's optimal to leave it alone, but it's better to need to touch the principal in the case of catastrophe than to never invest in it.

When I was younger I used to put everything I could into a Roth IRA right before the deadline, even if it meant taking savings to 0. But until that point, everything was kept as cash in checking or savings. I figured it was better to lose a portion of my Roth IRA in an emergency vs underfunding my Roth IRA and never having an emergency. It took discipline to constantly build an emergency fund but also not constantly stress over it.

My Roth IRA was with my credit union. They offered about double the savings rate of a money market account and no investment options. Not much growth but no risk of losing value and easy to convert to cash in a money market account. Once I got on my feet more, it was a nice balance to roll over to an investment account.

Obviously I think this is a valid strategy since it worked out for me. I wouldn't recommend it for everyone.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

Atahualpa posted:

(I.e. If the $75 for December isn't paid until January, does it count towards the 2024 limit instead?)

Yes

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
Is your old employer forcing you to take a distribution or rollover on your old 401k? Because if not, you can keep it there and manage it as usual (which would be not managing it if it's all in a target date fund). You just won't be able make contributions.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
That seems normal for Vanguard. Target 2040 is 80/20 right now. I've moved away from target funds because they are heavier in bonds than I'd like.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

Magic City Monday posted:

Or does it only work if you have actual self-employed income?

This. You can only fund a Solo 401k with self employed money.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

Democratic Pirate posted:

Can you transfer roth 401k funds into a Roth IRA and ignore the $6k contribution limit? My wife’s old employer sent notice they are winding down their 401k plans and we’d like to get the funds into our Fidelity account for consolidation purposes.

Yes that's a rollover and not a contribution

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
Some mutual funds have excessive trading rules and restrict buying shares again after you've sold, so you definitely want to rebalance out of those all at once.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

Agronox posted:

I think I have this correct, but please let me know if I don't.

I currently have an HSA and a HDHP. If I switch to a more conventional insurance plan, the HSA becomes... sort of like an orphaned IRA? I can't contribute or withdraw from it without penalty until 65. Right?

You can still withdraw for qualified medical expenses. You don't lose your HSA, it's still an HSA, you just can't contribute.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

Subvisual Haze posted:

Still not sure I like the theory of HDHPs and how they seem to incentivize not seeking out potentially preventative healthcare. But even so, HSAs are so powerful in tax advantages that HDHPs seem worth enrolling in just to get HSA contribution access.

I picked the best HDHP that my employer offers and it's not much worse than the non-HDHP.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

pseudorandom posted:

My company has just started offering 401k benefits. I'm not sure if there's employer matching on the contributions right now. The problem is I'm fairly frustrated with management and I'm now (slowly) looking for new jobs.

So, my question is: should I bother setting up the 401k now? I could find a new job tomorrow, or a few months from now, or never because I'm lazy. Is it going to be more trouble than it's worth to try to migrate/close the 401k account if I'm going to potentially leave the company fairly soon?

The second best time is now to save for retirement.

Worst case I think is if you leave your job with less than $5000 in your 401k. Then your employer can close your account and send you a check, and you have 60 days to rollover. Above $5000, you can keep it in your old 401k until you are ready to rollover into your new employer's 401k or an IRA.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

Muir posted:

They also don't have to pay out any unused days when you leave.

That's not a legal requirement. Wasn't there a recent court decision that determined PTO was not salary and could just be taken away?

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

smackfu posted:

While I was just whining about how Principal doesn’t separate pre-tax and post-tax 401k money, they do make a mega back door Roth very simple.

You just pick an after-tax percentage and turn on “Super Roth” and that’s it.

That's nice. I just need my company to add mega backdoor then. We got Roth this year, so maybe backdoor next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
The advantages of a Roth IRA over a Roth 401k are that you can withdraw contributions penalty-free at any time even before 59 1/2, don't have to take required minimum distributions at 72, and aren't beholden to your plan's administrator. It's just more flexible.

If you leave your job, will you be able to rollover your mixed Roth/Trad 401k? I have a Roth/Trad 401k with my old employer. My new employer just recently started offering Roth 401k but still doesn't accept a Roth 401k rollover. I would have to juggle the checks myself to get the Trad money in my current 401k and Roth money in an IRA. Too messy for me, so I don't. (Fees and funds are fine so I'm not in a rush)