Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
VEIEX has been doing incredibly well for me, I wouldn't take anything away from that. I did the domestic/international split with a slight bias towards international equities and it's been pretty positive so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
What are typical expense ratios on employer-offered 401ks? I'm wondering if I should move more of my retirement portfolio to my employer's plan because the fees on my employer's fund range from .02-.2%, while the portfolio my financial planner has me in are more like .6-1.1% for some of the index funds and ETFs.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

80k posted:

Your employer plan is definitely among the best if those ER's are true. But you can roll into a Vanguard IRA and get great fund choices with very low ER's as well. Why do you use that financial planner?

It's the family business.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
I was expecting this post- most of the holdings I had there actually were in small-cap emerging market funds, but the returns (and conversely the risk) were pretty nuts. We've done pretty well, I turned a surplus college fund into a house with the returns from 1999-2011.

I'll get a list of the funds up in a bit, the ER was primarily the reason I stayed far far away from target date funds.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
Does anyone have any experience using Vanguard to invest trust assets in? I'm the executor of an estate and it has about $200k cash I'd rather not have sitting around in accounts. Since this isn't a retirement account I'm assuming I'm going to be playing under a different set of rules. I mention Vanguard since I have my retirement portfolio with them and have been pretty happy so far. Thanks!

I'm shooting for a small time horizon (1-5 years), with minimal risk tolerance. I am researching a mix of things like REITs and bond funds, but I keep feeling like my retirement investment experience keeps clouding my opinions.

Edit: Looked a few pages back into Wealthfront/Betterment, which seems pretty helpful.

Bastard Tetris fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Apr 4, 2014

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
So my fiance had the dog and pony show at her work for their 401k. Some guy from GWRS showed up and handed out the packets with their prospectus, and the funds were terrible. The best things I saw on there were small and mid cap index mutual funds with .6% ERs and were underperforming the index they were benchmarking.

She maxes a Roth IRA with Wealthfront, and I was hoping she could take advantage of pre-tax savings as well as post-tax. She's mostly W2 income but has a few thousand of 1099 income annually, does this make her eligible for a SEP IRA or Solo 401k through somewhere like Vanguard or maybe Wealthfront? If that's not the case, would it make sense to do the payroll deduction pre-tax to the GWRS 401k index funds and do periodic rollovers every few months into the accounts with non-lovely fees?

Could we even just dump the 1099 income into the SEP or Solo accounts?

Bastard Tetris fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Oct 24, 2014

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Missing Donut posted:

With the SEP she can only contribute 20% of her earnings into it.

Depending on what she is making and plans to make in self employment income, would a SIMPLE IRA work?

We will look into it, my concern is that she can't if her employer offers a plan already, I'm just trying to find the best tax-advantaged way for her to save since the 401k fees are terrible and she already maxed a Roth. She saves about 20% of her income already so I'm trying to ensure she's getting the best bang for the buck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Michael Scott posted:

Sorry this is just really confusing to me. By setting the withholding super high for 2 months, aren't you maxing in the first quarter? If you did "max_dollars / pay_periods," wouldn't that equal less dollars in the first quarter?

I'm not really sure what the quoted poster was doing, but it's possible to set your 401k withdrawal to a large percentage of a payroll deduction on a per check basis, so if you need to you can throw a ton in a non-taxable account at the end of the year. My wife and I usually do that so we can maximize retirement savings with the extra cash in our budget for the year. Just handle all the expenses, and then set payroll deductions to 50% or whatever your company allows you to max. I'm lucky enough to hit the max these days between my contributions and the match, but we usually have to game it with my wife's paychecks.