Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Absolutely wrong thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

ah drat, well, still uhh a hundred bucks is a hundred bucks

It’s still a guaranteed return of 5% realized each year in addition to saving for college

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Residency Evil posted:

Thanks for the advice everyone. I kind of calculated that front loading with 80k or so would let us "finish" college savings, but I wasn't sure if people had different thoughts about whether that was a good idea or not.

I had the same thought about grad school, but then I looked at all of my classmates that were lucky enough to have parents that paid for it (and the ones that even bought them apartments!), and realized that their lives were better and they could focus on more important things than worrying about student loans. I'm not sure that I ended up a better person because I was/am forced to pay back student loans. I'm sure my opinion on this will change over the years. :shrug:

Make sure you talk to an accountant if you're going to frontload. You can contribute up to 80k per kid (160k if married) without incurring gift tax liability, but you need to file a return to spread the gift prorata over five years.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Is there a special different kind of gift tax for 529 plans? You don't pay a penny in taxes until you hit your lifetime limit of like 12 million dollars. The annual exclusion is just for reporting

Anything over 16k is supposed to be reported since it incurs gift tax. You can use your lifetime exemption to absorb that amount (which everyone does). It still needs to be reported.

There’s a separate provision for front loading 529s where they give you five years of exclusion and then spread it prorata over coming years

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I mean, having $12.06M in lifetime exclusion is better than having $11.98M in lifetime exclusion, so your advice is good, but I just wanted to make sure nobody thought you would have to pay even 1 tiny penny in "gift taxes" for frontloading a 529

Agreed there, just making sure people are aware of compliance

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

The real solution is removing the income cap on current year Roth contributions instead of the IRS codifying backdoor conversions but there’s zero political will to do so

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Just an FYI - the amount of people doing backdoor conversions in this thread is not at all proportionate to all people. I see maybe 1-2x a year, and the client has to give me a heads up since the 1099-R is never coded correctly.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Muni bonds have less return (usually 30-40%) than taxable bonds so you better be crossing those tax rate thresholds to make up the difference.

They also pay interest so they qualified div/cap gains rates don’t really apply.

There’s more to it but that’s the quick and dirty I’ll type while on my phone and making dinner.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

The 529 into Roth rollover is just to help people with older kids now that didn't use all the savings, as well as slightly changing the calculus regarding whether to use a 529 at all. I would not advise using this as an investment strategy - the timeline is way too long and the payoff is really small. There's way better methods of savings for your children's retirement.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Nope

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

USAA has a $100k limit but they did a one-day limit increase when I needed to deposit a larger check. I just had to call ahead of time to let them know.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

TraderStav posted:

Is it possible to rollover a traditional Ira into a solo 401k? I have both at Schwab and would love to get my traditional Ira's flattened for future back doors.

I presume I also need to get my wife's traditional taken care of too. She has a 403b with Vanguard. Any idea if those generally can accept a traditional Ira rollover?

Thanks!

Yes

Technically yes, but I would be surprised if the plan will allow it

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

One thing to consider for 529s is most states offer a deduction on your state tax return for contributing to their plan, which has its own immediately realized benefit. The deduction is capped at fairly low amounts (2500-5000), but it’s a perk for using your own states plans.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Xenoborg posted:

For my first backdoor roth in 2023, is is normal to have the 1099-R show the full 6.5k in 2a Taxable Amount and have distribution code of 2--Early distribution, exception applies (under age 59½), or did I gently caress something up?

Yes, and you’ll report the conversion through Form 8606 make it non taxable

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

drk posted:

I think we're talking about the same thing.

You said "You always got your dividends/growth tax free (no capital gains taxes paid)". This is correct (you don't pay capital gains taxes), but also wrong (it's not tax free, you have to pay normal income taxes eventually which are currently higher than capital gains rates).

Here’s a quick way to think about it and why taxable loses to tax advantaged.

Roth IRA v Taxable Brokerage: the principle is taxed on the way in. Taxable brokerage pays tax on dividends/interest/gains, Roth IRA pays no more.

Traditional IRA has the same benefits, just on the front end instead of the back end.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Significant medical expenses can offset the tax on RMDs which a lot of people have later in life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Jabarto posted:

If I ever had to do a backdoor roth and had less than 50 cents in my traditional IRA to begin with, am I correct in assuming it would round down to 0 as far as the IRS is concerned and avoid any pro rata nonsense?

Correct