Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

defmacro
Sep 27, 2005
cacio e ping pong
Quick (and probably easy) question. I'm a graduate student with ~10k in savings and I'd like to open a Roth IRA. I already completed my tax return and I want to make sure I'm not doing anything stupid.

If I contribute before April 15th (this would count for last year) I won't have to redo my taxes or anything, correct? I'm assuming since anything put in the Roth IRA is already taxed (and I already paid/received money based on this) I should be able to do whatever with the money. Furthermore, since that contribution is for last year, after April 15th I should be able to do an additional contribution for this year, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

defmacro
Sep 27, 2005
cacio e ping pong

|Ziggy| posted:

Yes, roths are already taxed so it won't affect your taxes. You can contribute for 2010 from Jan 1 2010-April 15 2011. You an contribute for 2011 from Jan 1 2011-April 15 2012. So you can do them both now, you don't have to wait until after April 15th.

Glad everything I read sunk in. Thanks!

defmacro
Sep 27, 2005
cacio e ping pong

Eggplant Wizard posted:

One thing just in case, from one grad student to another. If you are/were on a fellowship or scholarship in 2011 or 2010, that does not count as earned income. You may not contribute more than each year's earned income to a Roth IRA, so if last year you TA'd or RA'd but only made $3000, even if you had a $20k fellowship, you can only contribute up to $3000.

Thanks for the heads up. I should be in the clear though.

defmacro
Sep 27, 2005
cacio e ping pong
w.r.t. TreasuryDirect: I've noticed that 1Password, if used to autofill the username, will autofill the password before the client-side javascript blocks the ability to do that. Not sure if other password managers do this, but I've never had to use the awful keyboard thing.

defmacro
Sep 27, 2005
cacio e ping pong

Motronic posted:

That's great if it works, and I immediately wanted to try it out but just lol:

lol at least they're committed to the bit

defmacro
Sep 27, 2005
cacio e ping pong
I keep telling myself I'll backdoor my traditional IRA but I read about the pro rata rule and my eyes glaze over and I think "well, maybe next month".

defmacro
Sep 27, 2005
cacio e ping pong

sheri posted:

That's where I am at right now 😬😬

From what I understand, if you have $0 in traditional IRAs now, it's very easy. Once I passed the limit I just switched to doing a trad IRA instead and have enough (???) money in there now that I'm afraid of the taxes I'd incur. I've heard that some 401ks let you rollover a trad IRA -> 401k, although they aren't common. Hoping I can do that since past/current employer have changed providers but I'm not too optimistic. I might just give up with the knowledge that this is a Good Problem™ to have.

defmacro
Sep 27, 2005
cacio e ping pong

runawayturtles posted:

You're probably better off not contributing to an IRA at all if you're over the Roth limit and not backdooring. Just use a regular taxable account instead. But rolling an IRA into a 401k is not that uncommon and definitely worth it if you can, to re-enable the backdoor option (edit: assuming your 401k investment options are decent).

I guess just because I'm not getting any tax benefit so it's better to have something I can sell whenever I'd like? And more flexible investment options?

raminasi posted:

Fun fact about this: I did this this year as part of an old 401k rollover. It had both trad and Roth components, so I rolled them into IRAs, and then the trad IRA directly into my current 401k. I also this year did a normal backdoor Roth, but made sure to do it at a different time during the year, so that the tIRA never had commingled funds in it, thinking that I wouldn't trip over the pro rata rule.

According to my tax preparer, I unfortunately did trip over it...sort of. I ended up paying literally five dollars in taxes. I don't know whether she did some wizardry to minimize the burden and dodge a bullet for me or it's like that for everybody, but the roll-in isn't necessarily a magic bullet.

$5 sounds like a magic bullet to me! On that note, just got HR confirmation that I can do the rollover with the new plan :woop:.

defmacro
Sep 27, 2005
cacio e ping pong

Ersatz posted:

I've never understood why it's in percentages instead of dollars to begin with. Who benefits from that, and how?

Is it just some lame-rear end attempt to get people to save, on the theory that actually having to commit to a real dollar amount would otherwise dissuade them from doing so? Is it tied in with the nonsense about automatically increasing the percentage year-after-year?

I don't understand, and it bothers me.

My company recently switched to requiring %ages instead of fixed dollar amounts and the rationale was to make it easier to have a default, non-zero value for contributing for employees. Seems reasonable, but unsure why we can't have both ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

defmacro
Sep 27, 2005
cacio e ping pong
I have Fidelity at work and previously was 100% in on SSDLX, the 2050 target retirement fund. I'd turn 63 that year. I'd like to switch to something a bit more aggressive and with lower expense ratios.

Our work funds don't include the Fidelity equivalents for VTSAX, so I'm approximating the US total market fund. Here's my current proposed allocation:

• "Total US Market": 80%
    • FXAIX (S&P 500): 67%
    • FSMDX (mid cap): 6%
    • FSSNX (small cap): 7%
  • FSPSX (Intl Index): 15%
  • FXNAX (US Bond Index): 5%

Highest expense ratio on those is 0.035%, while before the target fund had 0.2%. Seem fairly reasonable?

defmacro
Sep 27, 2005
cacio e ping pong

drk posted:

If you can get FSMAX (extended market fund), that is a better pairing for FXAIX than holding a mid and small cap fund.

Otherwise, looks good. Those are good funds to have access to in a workplace acct.

No FSMAX sadly, but thanks for the second pair of eyes.

My partner has New York Life Investments and the fund options seem a bit worse. I tried to compare comparable-ish funds to my Fidelity and Vanguard funds to see if she can get her company to switch:

pre:
Fund	                Company	        ER

2050 Target (SSDLX)	Fidelity	0.200%
2050 Target (VFIFX)	Vanguard	0.080%
2050 Target (XXXXX)	NYLI	        N/A

S&P 500 IDX (FXAIX)	Fidelity	0.015%
S&P 500 IDX (FVIAX)	Vanguard	0.040%
S&P 500 IDX (MSPIX)	NYLI	        0.270%

US Large Cap (FSPGX)	Fidelity	0.035%
US Large Cap (VLCAX)	Vanguard	0.050%
US Large Cap (IQSU)	NYLI	        0.100%

US Mid Cap (FXMDX)	Fidelity	0.025%
US Mid Cap (VIMAX)	Vanguard	0.050%
US Mid Cap (IQSM)	NYLI	        0.190%

US Small Cap (FSSNX)	Fidelity	0.025%
US Small Cap (VSMAX)	Vanguard	0.050%
US Small Cap (CSML)	NYLI	        0.360%

INTL (FSPSX)	        Fidelity	0.035%
INTL (VTIAX)	        Vanguard	0.120%
INTL (IQSI)	        NYLI	        0.160%

US Bond Index (FXNAX)	Fidelity	0.025%
US Bond Index (VBTLX)	Vanguard	0.050%
US Bond Index (MTMSX)	NYLI	        0.530%
My thought was to do a similar allocation to mine but maybe drop the bond fund since the ER is so high. Similarly, swapping the S&P 500 for the Large Cap, but I'm not sure how like-for-like that swap is. I couldn't find a similar approximating guide for NYLI anywhere, so I'm past my level of understanding here. How would one go about computing this themselves?

Also, this is for a SIMPLE IRA, rather than a 401k. Not sure how that changes things. I do believe there's some kind of match, but I'll double check. With these ERs, should she consider maxing it out (to reduce income)? Or just hit the match and put the rest in taxable funds?

Edit: Forgot to add the Small Caps in there, and man NYLI's ER there is quite a bit worse than the others. Not sure what to do now tbh.

defmacro fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Mar 28, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

defmacro
Sep 27, 2005
cacio e ping pong
Makes sense, thanks!