Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
God, that's a gorgeous bike. Those and the Bonnevilles are on my shortlist for when I upgrade from scooters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

sigtrap posted:

I'm in SE Washington, discovering some pretty awesome roads around here.

As well as some pretty suicidal deer :/

Where in SE WA? I'm from the Tri-Cities, although I'm in the other corner of the state for school now.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

NVaderJ posted:

This enamel can't stand up to gasoline, however, so that's why I went with the bedliner for the areas surrounding the gas cap.

How was the application of the bedliner stuff?

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
I'm not even much of a loud pipes type of guy, but whenever I see big cans with tiny little outlets like that I shed a tear.

Nice lookin' bike(s) though! Details? The rear on that Victory makes the Magna look like a child's toy.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

since when? don't ducati v2s have a redline near that of i4 engines?

Quick Googling shows the 2009 1198 redlining at 10,500rpm, the 2009 R1 at 13,750rpm, and the RSV4 (for fun) at 13,700rpm. I imagine it's got more to do with the mass of the pistons than the valves.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

sklnd posted:

You can legally lane split in San Fran assuming its like the rest of California. Why are you worried about cops?

He does all his lanesplitting on one wheel, and it may not be the rear.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

LeftyChris posted:

You are the definition of "dedicated."

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
scooter incoming--

Someone cuts the vines on an abandoned, scheduled-to-be-destroyed factory:

These were taken way up here

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Isn't that Kurt Vonnegut's drawing of an rear end in a top hat?

Yes, yes it is :smug:

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Pvt. Public posted:

Psh, I would love to flog the gently caress out of a 125 on the street. All the WOT you can handle, none of the speeding tickets!

It's called scooters.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

ChiTownEddie posted:

First picture of the Bonneville.

Envy. I sat on an SE in these colors just the other day, and it fit *perfect.* Easy to get my feet down, perfect reach to the bars, ugh. Someday.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Ptolemaeus posted:

My new bike. A 2010 Harley Davidson Forty Eight I picked up with 1k miles and no drops. It is my first bike, and I just finished the edge course an am in love. As of today I finally have my endorsement and spent all morning riding around back roads just exploring for the hell of it.

This is like the bruiser version of my dad's Sportster, an '03 883R

Good looking bikes, and good bikes. (though yours should suffer less from "vibrate my goddamn balls off" syndrome, since post-04 the engines were rubber mounted)

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
You've clearly got a thing for American Muscle.

My dad has an '06 V-Rod and loves it, it's basically his dream bike attained. He no longer uses words like "my next bike" or "I want a ___." He just rides his V-Rod.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

FYI you can remove a restrictor plate on those Buddy 50s and get another like 10mph out of them. Buddys are peppy as hell.

Googled this out of curiosity, and found a Genuine-made how-to video!

Looks pretty straightforward, if you are at all mechanically inclined. There are, of course, performance exhausts and cylinder kits available.

Welcome to riding (scooters) it is so much fun

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Deverse posted:

I just watched that video and it seems very straight forward. I'll probably hold off for a while as I'm still getting comfortable with keeping my eyes up and spotting hazards. This forum has drilled into my head to take it slow and take a basic rider course.

As someone who learned to ride on scooters (particularly with a CVT) I think they're a valuable way to learn. A 50cc CVT scooter takes very little thought to physically control, so you can spend your time concentrating on the road and traffic. Then, once that's automatic, it'll be less intimidating to have to shift/ride a larger bike because only part of it will be a new experience.

(also you may find you stick with scooters because they're awesome, and all motorcycles are for men with insecurity issues :colbert:)

Plus, you have a scooter available to ride for free... why jump into spending money?

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Endless Mike posted:

If V-Rods had mid controls I'd be very interested in them. The C-Clamp position doesn't interest me, though.

The Street Rod version did.

Being Harleys, though, you can change pretty much everything on it (if you're willing to throw enough money at it). Might need a new exhaust, but you can definitely get a kit to relocate the controls.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Sagebrush posted:

It's fuel-injected, right? Cute how they made the injection hardware look sort of like a carburetor.

Triumph: The British Harley

Not to diss, though. That is a beautiful bike. I want a Bonneville so bad, but I don't want to take on debt to buy my first non-scooter, but I never find anything I really want so at this rate I'll just keep saving until I can buy a Bonne outright. :(

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

(not mine :()

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Xovaan posted:

While I definitely think black/gold is one of the sexiest color combinations in existence, I still secretly want a scooter with Gulf Oil colors. :unsmith:

For a few years, Genuine made the Stella in a "tangerine" and a light blue that were drat close to the Gulf Oil colors. If you knew somebody with the opposite color, and could convince them to spend a few minutes swapping body parts...

I can't find a picture of one right now, but whoever has the opposite of this woman's scooter has a sweet ride:

Also this is just loving rad

ItalJet Dragster - swingarm-type from suspension (whatever the gently caress you call it) and a beefy-rear end 2-stroke motor (the 180cc models can do a ~6-8s 0-60mph without much work).

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

nsaP posted:

If you're concerned about yourself and your bike over the looks, leave the reflectors on. I almost took mine off, there's only 4, but then one night I pulled up to where my bike was parked when driving with a friend. It was parked on a main street and was drat near invisible except for the reflectors. If it lives in a garage and only comes out for cruises and cruise-in's then by all means, get rid of them. But they do actually serve a purpose and don't look that bad IMO.

I'm actually looking for a way to increase how well I stand out at night by adding more reflectors to my gear.

Black 3M Scotchlite is great for not-ugly reflectiveness - barely visible black during the day, reflects bright white/silver in lights.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
Man, your motorcycle manual examples are ridiculous. 6th gear at 37mph on a GSXR750? What the gently caress?

Here's the break-in page from a Genuine Stella manual. A 4-speed 150cc 2-stroke based on a 35-year-old Italian design and it's actually reasonable compared to your Japanese bikes?

I mean, these shift points are kinda low, but they aren't insane for this bike (it has VERY short gearing).

e: goddamnit new page, sorry, here's an picture of my bike on a hill

Gay Nudist Dad fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Dec 12, 2012

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

I'm not anti-scooter but I don't get those things. They defeat the purpose of a scooter. They're not step-through, they're not light, they're not small, you can't park them really easily. It's just a small motorcycle with a CVT. Biggest scooter I can see working is a Vespa GT.

CVT and storage are both huge selling points. Also: comfort. They are couches.

Though I agree about the Vespa GT/GTS. I borrowed a GT200 for a rally weekend and it was really nice, felt very similar to a 125-150cc scooter.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Not an Anthem posted:

I got a "motorcycle"

One of us, one of us :gay:

Is it stock?

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Slavvy posted:

How the gently caress can you have that much patience? The old license scheme here mandated riding a 250 for around two years before you could get your full; part of the reason they changed it was because a year in everyone would just ignore the rules and buy something bigger.

I've been riding scooters for a decade. Some of us are okay going slow.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

cheesebot posted:

I gotta start selling some poo poo.

Here's a current view of 1/3 of my garage:

I can see ten bikes here and there's more unseen. I keep trapping myself between bikes in here.

My name is cheesebot and I'm a bikeaholic...

Please post at length about that Subaru Fuji Rabbit.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
I only take my bikes to Fritz Repair here in Seattle. It's just one guy, Jake, though he often has an office assistant when things are busy. He is a nice dude and is entirely honest about what is or is not necessary.

I have a feeling the shops that don't sell bikes or gear or accessories are the best. BBRP in Bellingham also didn't sell anything besides consumables and they were great. They were even nice to me when I brought in a scooter even though I think they are more interested in race bikes.

Gay Nudist Dad fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Nov 18, 2015

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Breakfast Feud posted:

The moped thread is archived :(

Just bought this though

You can come join us in the scooter thread. We like all small bikes. Here, let me take you there *spends 23 minutes trying every key of dozens on an old-timey jailer's keyring, finally opening the door with a creak, it is full of spiderwebs, a moth flies out* But at least it's not archived!

(sweet 'ped)

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
Goons I did it. I bought the bike I posted about 2 months ago in the other thread.

It's a '14 Ninja 650. Original owner bought it, binned it, couldn't afford to fix it, and sold it to my mechanic friend. Mechanic friend fixed the broken bits, nakedized it, then never rode it. Now it's mine. It is my first motorcycle.

Early thoughts, coming from 15 years of riding scooters:
  • Wrapping your legs around a cold, wet tank is awful
  • so fast

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Slavvy posted:

Bet that steering feels fu-hahcking heavy!

It takes SO LONG to change direction

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I think I would feel so out of control without being able to straddle the bike. I've never ridden a scooter and when I think about riding a fast one without the ability to grip with my legs, I just can't see it being comfortable.

On most 125/150ish scooters the floorboards wrap around the seat a little, so you can get your feet beneath your rear end and kinda grip the seat, which is what I usually do. And then I’ll put a foot forward to put weight into the floorboards instead of the bars when braking. And that’s also where the rear brake is on my Stella.

The weirdest thing coming from scooters is engine braking. Totally alien. One of my scooters is CVT, which barely resists, and the other is a manual but 2-stroke, so it also offers little braking and I never coast in gear because I worry about lubrication.

I keep coasting with the clutch in like I do on the Stella but I’m trying to break that habit. I’m just always surprised still at how much engine braking there is, and it feels like I have no control over the rate of slow with it. Such an alien feeling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

MetaJew posted:

That's not too bad! Is there any way to get around the "assembly" fee that shops seem to charge for new bikes? I've never bought a bike or car from a dealer so I find it a bit intimidating.

Traffic and drivers in my city has gotten so bad that I really don't enjoy riding on the street. I'm thinking of selling my SV and buying some sort of track bike.

Of course then at the MotoGP race I sat on the new 690smc and the rc390 and I wouldn't mind owning either... Maybe I can find a cheap track prepped RC or Ninja 400.

It's negotiable just like anything. I didn't pay it on 2 of my 3 new scooter purchases.