Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

My street bike, a 2001 Buell Blast (yes, that's a dirt road it's on)

I'm hoping to get something bigger soon, but the fact that I was beating a ZX12 Ninja through corners still makes me happy.

Then my 1984 KDX200, which I have yet to get a good wheelie picture of:

And my 1974 Harley SX175, which I don't ride very often anymore:

Screw it, here's my (and my dad's) garage with the rest of our bikes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

bung posted:

Can you post some more pics of the tracker on the lift?

Gladly. It's technically a Rotax 600 (and my dad's). However, Harley used them in place of their XR750s for short track races, so he was able to obtain the factory race team decals.

And some action shots:

And from a half mile race:

Unfortunately, most of the tracks near me (within 2.5 hours) have closed, so it hasn't been ridden since March or so.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I finally can join the ranks of "real" bikes and actually keep up with the people I ride with.

2003 XB9R. Race ECM, and I'm probably putting the race muffler back on it since it doesn't quite run right without it. I'd say the $1000 I paid (on top of the money from the old Harleys my dad sold) was a good deal.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Stormangel posted:

Welcome to the Buell club. Your bike has the upgraded seat and Corsa 3's, nice. The race ECM definitely need more breathing room than the stock pipe provides. Besides, the stock muffler is heavy as hell. How many miles does it have? I just passed 10k last week.

It's got a little over 31k. The guy I bought it from took really good care of it (he was a pro racer back in the 70s), and both he and my dad work at the local dealer so it got everything it needed really quick. The touring seat and Lightning bars were to make it more comfortable for him since he has back/neck problems from breaking his back in racing accidents (twice).

He also made all sorts little tweaks like elongating one of the holes on the belt tensioner to make it shift smoother and tipping the fairing slightly to get more downforce on the front wheel. I don't know how much of a difference he really made, but it's awesome to hear him go on about what he does to it.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Having a friend with a good camera and an empty business park to play around in results in some fun pictures. (click for big)

Ineedasupermoto.jpg

I needed to clean it when we took those pictures, and now after 350 miles today it really needs it.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I tried to take a few pictures when I went to NYC last weekend. These were about as good as I could do in a dimly lit area with a point and shoot.

Click here for the full 1944x1458 image.

And here's most of the lovely group I went with

Oh, and riding an air-cooled V-Twin through New York City is a terrible idea, but not as terrible as trying to ride a Boss Hoss.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

My dad's new bike has some funny looking switches on it:

It's a 2011 Road King police bike. He replaced the red and blue lights already, but they'll still flash if you use the switch. Other notable features include a slightly larger 103 cubic inch engine and saddlebags with knobs on the lids instead of the normal latches.

I was way too lazy to roll it outside for pictures, so maybe I'll take it for a ride this weekend or actually get him to go out with me

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

jdonz posted:

Have we seen that XR yet?

Probably, but here's a shot from when the paint job was fresh.

Technically not a Harley, but the factory race team used them for short track races for a few years. So my dad was able to snag a few of the proper decals and get it set up like one.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

jdonz posted:

It looks Awesome. Although, if its technically not a Harley what is it?

It's a Rotax 600cc engine in a Knight (I think) frame. It's basically a kit bike: guys would buy the engine, one of a bunch of different brands of frames to fit it, and all the rest of the parts they wanted. Now it's obsolete since modern 450s offer the same amount of power with less weight and can be ready to race with just a few small modifications. But for the level of racing my dad does, it's still awesome.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Gnaghi posted:

:clint:: "Hey you lost or something?"

:v:: "No I'm takin a pic of this sign cause it matches the cc's of my engine."

:clint:: "Oh uh...ok then."

:v:: :v:

Is that Warren County New York? I love the Adirondacks and I'm bringing my bike to school in the fall just so I can ride there.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Cull posted:

No glamour shot, but here's my Buell Lightning.

I don't know what exactly it is, but the XB9's seemed a little better for the street, might have been the gearing. 50 mpg with aggressive riding is pretty nice too. And the translucent plastics on yours was one of the coolest visual things they did.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

the walkin dude posted:

The Motorrad's at Canandaigua Lake yesterday. Fun place to scoot around in.

I almost took a ride to visit my roommate in Palmyra before I went back to school in August. Those pictures make me think that not going there was the wrong decision.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I had my photographer friend/goon meet me on the side of a road and take some pictures the other day.

I felt so much faster than I looked.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I probably could have gone faster and lower, but the number of big trucks and cars coming way over the yellow line was sobering.

clutchpuck posted:

Nice Buell :hfive:

What year? Is that a 9 or a 12?

It's an '03 9.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Accidental power wheelies are one of the most fun things about a Buell (or any v-twin really). Take it out into some real twisties and you'll see where that chassis really shines.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

It's too cold for me to mess around taking pictures outside, but I'm pretty pumped about this:

2007 DRZ 400 with only 1900 miles. It's the nicest one I've seen in Craigslist in my area (and the best color), so I had to grab it before someone else did.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Shouting Melon posted:

My brand new 2013 Duke 690R:

What's that clear panel under the seat? Airbox?

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I went down a dirt road:

a little offroad:

and then found an old train station:

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I finally got to do some real trail riding with my DRZ. It was fantastic.

However, as good as the stock Dunlops have been on the street, they were incredibly slick in the mud. But I only fell once, so it could have been worse.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

ReelBigLizard posted:

I don't think you're a jerk or anything, I'm just fascinated by how flag happy Americans are. When I've visited in recent years I swear I see more flags outside houses, adorning shops and vehicles, etc. Especially compared to when I visited as a child in the late eighties to early nineties. I've always thought flag waving in your own country (regardless of where you're from) reeks a little of insecurity but I guess you have to take into account the resurgence of nationalism following 9/11.

My mom has always flown a flag in front of our house, it's only been recently that she's gotten more than one, so I never thought it was weird. Maybe I just got indoctrinated :shrug:

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I rode through the Adirondacks this weekend:

This happened along the way :toot:

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

notZaar posted:

Ahhhhh that is the worst instrument panel I have ever seen on something that wasn't a toy car.

Yeah, luckily they changed it to something that wasn't a comic sans knockoff on later models.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Late model Harleys have decent switches. They saved the lovely stuff for Buell.

I like how mine feels more than my dad's Road King. But the switches, gear shift, clutch, etc all feel really clunky compared to my DRZ.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I've been told you can fit a Harley in a Nissan NV. And this Motorcyclist article says a 6'3" guy can stand up in the back. I think the smaller model with the lower roof is around the same price as the TC too.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

deliverator posted:

My bike in front of an awesome F-14.
Not pictured: a little kid crossing the street with his parents, pointing at the awesome motorcycle!

Thanks for reminding me that I want to do a bike in a Jolly Rogers livery.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Unless it's more than surface rust, I'd suggest painting it while you're doing the tire and belt. You have to loosen all that to get the pipe off anyway.

I've just been coating mine with Harley branded hi-temp spray paint.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

I've never actually seen a bike being kickstarted in the wild. I know what one is, but they're not super common.

HNasty or RevDrMoses: please make a "hipsters trying to kickstart their bikes" compilation video.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

HNasty posted:

Ask and ye shall receive, we're too lazy to make compilation videos. However hipsters are vain enough to make them for us.

http://hipsterbikevideos.tumblr.com/post/54470268535/when-you-leave-the-bar#disqus_thread

Good, I thought I imagined this video existing.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

You should be fine with the stock tires:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZNQkEPcm3c

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

It's a lovely picture, but I put on my newly-green airbox cover last night. I was going to spray the adventure beak at the same time, but one of the torx screws holding it on was stuck too tightly for my itty bitty impact driver, and I didn't feel like playing the multi-elevator shuffle to grab a socket wrench.

One can of plasti-dip was enough to do everything there, plus a little bit more. I'm impressed!

I also plugged in the battery tender, seeing as how I probably won't be riding until I get some heated gear sometime next month.

I like it. Reminds me of the camo option they had one year

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

apatite posted:

Always end up on this stretch of road at the same time of day

Where is this? Reminds me of a stretch of road in the Adirondacks that I used to take to college.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

apatite posted:

It is probably that same stretch of road (RT56) if you were going to school in Canton or Potsdam, but there are spots on 30, 3, and pretty much every other paved road nearby that look similar

I went to Clarkson, and it was 56 that I was thinking of, though I think a slightly different stretch of road. Looking through my pictures reminded me how drat similar they all look.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Rime posted:

Welcome to BC, motherfuckers. :black101:

Between this and the guys posting Colorado mountain roads in the rant thread, I'm really starting to regret moving to a flat area.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

J Corp posted:

I dunno, looking at photos of old drag bikes, more had front brakes than not. Flat trackers ditched the front brake pretty frequently, but I sort of doubt the dudes building wild 50" over choppers were running in the same circles as AMA riders. I'd like to know the honest reason it became a thing, would be interesting.

Fun fact: Flat track (and board track racing before it) actually forbid any brakes on the bikes until the 50s or 60s. Front brakes are still banned.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Since we're on the subject, "dampen" means make something wet/damp. Damping is used with mechanical and electronic systems. :eng101:

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

They weren't bad so much as horribly mediocre and ugly. The only real competition it had for "sporty" beginner bikes was the Ninja 250, and that was just better in every category. Every other complaint about them is pretty much the same for full size Buells and Harleys.

Well, there was the warranty issue with the rear sprocket falling apart...

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

High Protein posted:

On the other hand maybe that ownership experience would have soured me on getting an XB?

Having gone from Blast to XB, I can tell you that the XB feels like God's gift to man compared to the Blast.

My only bikes have been Harley based and a DRZ. I don't know what a smooth gearbox feels like.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Who the gently caress buys that bike for their wife? Unless she's a 6 foot tall UFC fighter who only wears camo or something.

Maybe he meant she hates it as a passenger? My dad had one and my mom refused to ride on the back of it because it was too tall.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Giblet Plus! posted:

they are 100% oil tight

depending on your definition of "oil tight"

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Need to do something about that tail. Trying to stay legal.

I have yet to hear anyone get in trouble for the DRC Edge: https://www.thumpertalk.com/shop/DRC-Edge-2-LED-Tail-Light-Kit-US-Spec-by-ThumperTalk-p2006835405.html

You can buy them from many places, but ThumperTalk is the only one with the wider plate bracket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I'm back at my parents' for the long weekend and got to take my Buell out for the first time in over a year.

My dad was out riding me on his Street Glide with my mom on the back.