Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

ReelBigLizard posted:

Before:

Your tire wear indicates you need to back it in more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Captain Kosmos posted:

My second bike 2001 Ducati Monster 600 Dark and the only picture of it. Still have the first one Kawasaki ER-5 2005, but the only picture that i have is in Google street view. :)

How do you like the monster, impressions, complaints?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

You're swapping tanks too, or just the plastic? Because black tank with yellow plastics sounds pretty rad (at least in my mind picture).

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Why trade up for the same kind of bike when there are so many other options? Adventure/sumo/nakeds etc (Not cruiser bashing or anything just curious)

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

KenMornignstar posted:

Don't want to ride sport bikes. Rode one once, crashed the poo poo out of it into some trees and bushes. So I am timid around those bikes.

What bike did you eat it on? Was it a case of too much power or just a really bad crash? I'm just trying to say don't turn down trying out a bike just because you don't like it initially, you never know what might tickle your fancy. When you decide it's time for a change, check out some sport tourers, or the big bikes BMW makes(k series and the r you mentioned), or st's, or hell go test a diavel-it's a cruiser, ducati is pretty liberal with test rides.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Why do you want two SVs? Is one going to be for track duty?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

quote:

You know what would sell really well? Honda Varadero 250, Kawasaki Versys 250, Suzuki V-Strom 250, Yamaha Tenere 250. Or perhaps 400s. Basically baby adventure bikes for urban use, priced at or around Ninja 250s.

I know it sound like a good idea and makes sense but I just don't think it'll fly in the US market quite yet.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

titanium posted:

That is correct. Purchased from an apparent Illinois Nazi judging by the three SS stickers I found on it.

What's all that's been done to it do you know? It looks sexy as hell (never thought I would say that about a TW200 :v:)

What does -1/+2 do to an I4? More power down lower in the range?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

^^^^^^^^^That's a sexy cafe bike!^^^^^^^^

Veritas posted:

awesome 250 race stuff

Is there a preference for gen 4 vs gen 3 (or vice versa) for the 250 class? I'd love to race a 250 sometime in the future, mind sharing costs of a typical race weekend?

VVVVV Hah, first I typed out: "mind sharing the costs so we can compare to Zen racing his gxr" but hey you came along anyway :p.

Edit: fixed, ya sorry I always get those suzuki and yamaha ss confused for some reason

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 00:03 on May 12, 2011

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

thebearheeb posted:

Just picked this up today:

Ducati Monster 1100 EVO, ive owned it for nine hours as of this post and have ridden 168 miles already; I look forward to 7500 mile interval valve clearance checks.

The ducati monster is solely responsible for me wanting to get into motorcycling. Nice bike!

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

GriszledMelkaba posted:

lol ur guys bikes work no problem? suckers

A Husky in its natural state.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Crouching tiger hidden coolant leak

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Nice! That looks like a really great track setup.

I'd love to do one again someday, it's already getting hot here in AZ and it shuts down for the summer next month, but maybe in the winter. I ended up buying a smaller res version of a couple of the track photog pictures, that was my compromise. Totally worth it.

Where do you go for track days in AZ? (Hopefully SoAZ)

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Air "cooled".

You just have to get up early and have your outdoor activities done by 9am in the summer. We also have a bunch of mountains you can escape to altitude and lower temps.

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Apr 13, 2021

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

cursedshitbox posted:

Then its only 100F instead of 140F.

Yeah?? 100F is a nice spring day, right? (maybe i'm broken now)

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

It's been almost exactly 10 years since I got my motorcycle endorsement (via MSF), so I guess it is time to finally buy a motorcycle and start riding.

Once i take care of the documents and practice in the neighborhood for a couple weeks, I will find a cooler place to take pictures. Also waiting on gear in the mail.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I was considering picking up a versys 300 before I found the mt03 i ended up with. Looks awesome! Do you plan to take it for some light offroading?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Finally ventured out of my neighborhood. Riding on quieter out of town roads is way more fun, who knew.

Stopped by a local shop that deals in Italian bikes, Ducati, Aprilia, MV Augusta etc. They also had some sweet Vespas and Kymco branded bikes. I tried on a pair of Revit GT vertex pants that I've been eyeing picking up and glad i did as I don't think super sporty pants are going to work for me. I couldn't even zip the bottoms over my calves :lol:, good fit in the waist, tight in the quads. Seemed like a friendly shop and they do walk in $20 oil changes which my bike is due for. I was planning on doing it myself, but for 20... might be worth it since I don't have wheel stands. Summer is pretty much here, but I was pretty comfortable in my Revit Quantum jacket and it was like 90 when I was riding.

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 23:26 on May 15, 2021

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Yeah summer is here, my riding is going to be cut back to early mornings for a while now. Are you in AZ? Those backgrounds look very AZ-ny.

Yup! Down in Tucson. You can tell it's southern Arizona as everything looks like it's covered in dust and you can spot some saguaros.

Can't wait to get to the point where I can start thinking about day trips to Tombstone, Bisbee, Patagonia etc.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Hah yeah the desert landscape is pretty much the same in Phoenix, very familiar looking. I'm looking forward to doing longer trips again on a more comfortable bike, longest I've done so far was Phoenix - Prescott by way of the twisty back roads, and that got pretty punishing with ZX-6R ergos. Is Mt. Lemmon a worthwhile trip on a bike? Only been there once years ago in a car but seems like it might be fun, if you don't get stuck behind a caravan of summer day trippers in slow vehicles.

Early morning is your best bet for Mt. Lemmon if you want light traffic (same reason cyclists go in the AM besides the heat). If you come in the summer, it shouldn't be crowded anyway, but COVID has made a lot of things weird this year, still seeing a ton of out of state plates right now. I'd say maybe make it an overnight so you can hit it up first thing in the am and you're likely to run into groups of motorcycles at Le Buzz cafe at the turn onto Catalina Highway. It's 27 miles to the top, so it does take some time to go up and down and stop if you want to enjoy the vistas. Speed limit is technically 35... but ya know. Stop by for a giant cookie at the Cookie Cabin. The water is on at the Palisades camping pull out (mile 19.5 ish on the right) if you don't want to buy bottled in Summerhaven.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Look, it's scrambling places! That's such a nice looking bike.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

First longer ride today (~160mi) out to Patagonia Lake. Busy as you'd expect with the holiday weekend, but we found a shady spot to sit and snack. My buddy was riding a Diavel, boy that exhaust sounded nice.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Just awful composition. I forget how to take a good photo when I don’t have a DSLR in my hand. Ah well, here you go:

I really need to think of better locations to snap at.

I love the wheel decals with the grey.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Took a ride partially up the mountain finally. It's cool to see the same places I've cycled up to a hundred times in new ways. Even though I've seen this little road that has camping plots along it both from the road while descending and from the mountain bike trails above it, i've never actually ridden on it.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Escaping the heat today. Started in the afternoon, it's was 110 at 2700 feet. Had to go to 9000ft for that nice ~80 and some pine trees.

Lil MT went off pavement a little today:

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

That looks delightful. Is the yoshi pipe a stock? Because it fits the look perfectly.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I know a lot of us have good brain chemicals from riding motorcycles (or bicycles or exercise or hiking etc), but please don't replace professional mental care with any of these things. I realize not everyone has access and resources, but if you do, getting help will go a long way.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

"suddenlyy blocking the road in front" eh

Grom on a kart track sounds amazing.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Springfield Fatts posted:

My wife disparagingly calls it Slimer but jokes on her I think that name rules.

You know you have to get some vinyl stickers that say "SLIMER" now right?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

It's like a reverse ATM, wherein you put the money into the machine instead of money coming out.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Found a couple "pavement ends ahead" today.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

My local italian moto dealer say they sell more Vespas and Piaggio scoots than anything. I love the idea of one, but unfortunately an ebike is way more convenient where I live (same price point).

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Lil MT found its way off road again

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Steakandchips posted:

Adorable!

Gonna tidy the tail up?

I don't think so, not too bothered with how it looks. Watched a video on it and it looks like a bit of a pain (plus $100-$200).

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Any correlation with cops giving you a harder time with tail tidies?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Rolo posted:

Mesh jacket and pants all the way.

I find them even more comfy if I take the stiff parts out and pound a couple beers.

Unless you actually have to slide any distance at speeds over 30 mph.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Two orange bikes and an old german car. THE MADMAN!!!

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

ImplicitAssembler posted:

I'm going the other way and just bought my first proper leather jacket. (Well, from cruiser to sportsbike).

One one of the local shops is absolutely awesome. They really helped me out when I first started and they make sure everything fits.
Their stock is usually older, but prices are also lower and I've been unable to find anything cheaper online.
I went there today just to 'try on' and figure out what would fit and walked out with a jacket. (Alpinestar 'Faster' model..basic, but enough).

I got my eyes on a Aprilia RS660 and will most likely pick one up over the winter. I still love my Guzzi V7, but are running out of steam on some of the faster rides.
Also doesn't help that my regular riding partner is on a CBR1000RR.

Maybe think about a bike that doesn't have an engine replacement recall.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Finally a real monsoon season here, desert is so verdant right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

RightClickSaveAs posted:

drat props to you for getting out in the humidity! I had vague plans to wake up early Saturday or Sunday and get out to Bartlett Lake or maybe even Tortilla Flats, but my lazy self was getting swamp rear end walking to my car by the time I rolled out of bed so put it on hold for a while yet.

Nice thing living here is we'll have September to May to do all the riding we want in relative comfort.