Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Wow, everyone has freaking awesome bikes! My 2006 BMW F650 (sorry, crappy cell phone pic):

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Jharkov posted:

:clint:

Pure sex machine. I love the big, tall DS bikes. Too bad I'm a short rear end in a top hat.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Phat_Albert posted:

Underrated motorcycle photos

Your post about the B12 in the other thread makes me really want to ride one.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Bunway Airlines posted:

Jerk with his fancy awesome bike

drat, that is a steal. Great find. The Z1000 will be in my stable someday! Along with a goldwing, my f650, and a super sherpa or DRZ400.

Also good to hear the seat height isn't that high, I'm a short legged 5'8"

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Spartak posted:

The '84 CB250N. Finally got some photos of it:

Gorgeous bike, looks like a blast :)

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

NVaderJ posted:

Picked this up last fall for $700:

And have slowly turned it into this over the winter:

Bondo and bedliner for the tank:

I used standard Duplicolor automotive enamel spray, five coats with light sanding between, and several coats of clear, followed by a wet sand, rubbing compound and polishing. The bedliner is supposed to handle gas drips better than most paint (we'll see I guess).

Also have rewired both front turn signals, replaced front and rear tire on my own, fixed minor scratches and cracked plastic with gas tank repair putty. Supposedly stands up to vibration better than other options.

New logo stickers courtesy Kitch Vinyl Stickers from SA Mart.

Looks great!

Also looks like you forgot to sand down and repaint your center stand, though ;)

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I'd really like to give a 600SS a shot on the street. "Only" 30-40whp at like 5k? That's about what my bike puts down at redline and it moves just fine.

I got to ride a brand spanking new R1 ('09 maybe?) and jesus that thing was ridiculous fast and torquey. I only went WOT once and it was on the highway in 4th or 5th, I didn't come anywhere close to redline but holy hell it went from about 60-115 way way way too fast.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Admit it, you dirtied them on purpose to look like a rat bike. It's ok, I understand.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

MrZig posted:

How do you like the 650? I've been dreaming about one for awhile, but I'll probably get a KLR instead.

More pics of it?

I have an '06. I like mine quite a bit. It's relatively quick, easy to ride (seating position, etc), good ergos, and gets great gas mileage (never got worse than 60, often 65+ and sometimes 70+mpg). Strangely enough even though it's a thumper it makes all it's power up top, anything under 3k and it's a bog-asaurus rex. 5K to redline (~7500) it actually pulls pretty good.

What I don't really like about it is the lack of torque down low, and the fuel injection on-off throttle sucks, I end up having to feather the clutch a lot.

Aside from that I consider it to be in the running for one of the best all-around bikes. Light enough to be nimble and handle pretty well, comfortable ergos, touring options (2up is ok, but you have to keep it revved to be able to go anywhere), quick enough to get out of the way, and sips fuel.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

MonkeyBrains posted:

Nice! I have a 2006 in the same color. Great all around bike. Reasonably quick, can manage 2up if needed, and excellent fuel economy. I have some continental road tires on it that really liven up the handling as well since I was kidding myself thinking I'd ride more than the occasional fire road.

I'm a terrible owner though as I hardly ever ride anymore :(

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

'09 Vstar 950

Just got it yesterday, haven't had time to take and good pictures yet. Love it! For the $600 it cost me to "upgrade" to this bike from my BMW, I feel like I got a stupidly good deal, it had 2100 miles on it and literally looks brand new.

I rode it 4 hours home (after riding my old bike to it's new owner 2 hours) and I was surprisingly not too uncomfortable. I need to see how accurate the speedometer is, it seems a bit optimistic.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

clutchpuck posted:

I'd also suggest riding it (like legitimately on the highway for a few hours) with the stock windshield before going all GS-guy with an NBA backboard setup.

If it's anything like the f650gs it's going to need a better windscreen. I'm short and anything over 65-70mph for any amount of time got tiresome.

The #1 thing I love about my new bike over my F650 is the wind protection, now I can ride up to 60mph with my visor open.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Here it is today after my ride:

Nice bike, I think I may have seen that around on CL. We'll have to go for a ride sometime, you know since fat heavy cruisers and dual sports are so similar.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Yeah, it was on CL. Now I am in talks with another guy from a Facebook rummage sale to buy a DR-Z400SM. When summer hits I'd definitely be up for a ride or several. If I get the DRZ, the wife wants the DR350 and then it will be family rides and hooning.

Oh god please do, the SM is next on my list of bikes that I'd like to buy, though I'm afraid I'm years and years away from justifying another motorcycle.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Yellow/blue is indeed the best combo but I'll let it slide. $3k would be a pretty drat good price and now I'm mad again.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Yea these people know what's up. I had heated grips on my BMW but anything over in-town speeds made them practically useless, my fingers got very cold very quick even with winter/insulated gloves. Handguards probably would have helped quite a bit.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

ThatCguy posted:

I've actually found that "winter" gloves suck with BMW heated grips. The extra insulation nullifies the heated element. Wearing a pair of summer-ish gauntlets with the grips worked a lot better.

My palms were OK but fingertips were very cold. I've tried short trips with my normal gloves and they were worse yet.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

O'riginal posted:

My bike after today's ride

Sup same bike buddy! I'm loving mine more and more.

<no recent pictures of it, unfortunately>

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Gweenz posted:

In the market for a cruiser myself, and these are consistently reviewed very well. The only complaint I've noticed is that the floorboards are mounted very low and are easy to scrape on hard cornering. Is it a problem or exaggerated?

Yes and no. It absolutely scrapes at intersections if I'm turning right tightly/quickly, but I haven't had it happen at speed around real corners yet, nor to I plan to. The bike is stable and predictable through the corners, I'd go so far as to say it handles well, but I honestly don't have any desire to double the posted speed limit around turns and try to scrape hard parts.

I really love the bike, though. I love the styling (subjective) and as a smaller-ish dude the ergos are a pretty good fit for me. My friend's vulcan 900 felt enormous by comparison. I wouldn't mind getting some "pull back" risers to bring the bars about 1" back towards me, but it's doable. The power is pretty good for a middle weight, the exhaust sounds good even though it's quiet, no complaints about the fuel injection. The seat is surprisingly not awful, I rode 4 hours back from MD when I got it and my back hurt more than my butt. I'd like to get a mustang seat or just a backrest for it sometime, but you're talking $$$.

Just filled up the other day an managed to eek 53mpg out of it with ~70% conservative riding. My vulcan riding friend was envious, he gets high 30s when he's loaded down with gear doing 75 on the highway.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
From this morning, gotta love this weather

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Fifty Three posted:

If you listen closely, you can hear it laughing as it barfs oil all over the inside of the lower fairing. :negative:

I had the exact same color scheme. Are your wheels still purple too?

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

I'm way out of touch with new bikes coming out, I had to look it up. This thing looks amazing! Sounds like a grownup sport(y) bike.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

BlackMK4 posted:

I bought A Thing.

Is that your garage? What's under the cover? Looks like a porsche profile. And the garage looks nice, too.

I haven't ridden my motorcycle in like 2 months, this sucks :(

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

BlackMK4 posted:

Yeah, it's a 997.1 Turbo with an EvoMS kit making 700ish AWHP.

Wow, that's about as good as it gets. That is awesome.

What do you dd?

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

dreesemonkey posted:

I haven't ridden my motorcycle in like 2 months, this sucks :(

Santa is real! Just a week after getting a foot of snow, we received a day of 60F with 300% humidity. Not going to get any better in December (around here)

Not instagram, but just as bad.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Is that a 400 or 250? I'm having trouble telling the difference, especially when it's not a stock tank.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Which 650 is more tractor like? :)

Probably fun rides out in your neck of the woods!

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Tactical Lesbian posted:

CRF250L soon~~~

Oh man I love those 250Ls.

This is a pretty pro garage.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

N is for Nipples posted:

Literally the best bike ever made.

I rode my friend's on some forrestry trails last year, so much fun. Perfect gearing/manueverability/seat height for me for light trail riding. I'd love to get one sometime.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Sun's out bike's out

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Yerok posted:

I rode past someone fishing for rainbow down at the shore that had a campfire going. It's too goddamn cold.

Hard to see but there are people ice fishing on the lake: :c00lbert:

dreesemonkey posted:

Sun's out bike's out

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

AncientTV posted:

As per request

coolest dad :c00l:

I have the same jacket but I am not nearly cool enough as a dad.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I'm a child and giant wind turbines are really neat to look at

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Slim Pickens posted:

Well come on out to east Washington Cascades, we got a fuckload of them

E: I remembered this is actually from the Oregon side of the Columbia river, but there's turbines everywhere just east of the cascade mountains.

I would peep the hell out of those :eyepop:

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
If anyone else is wondering, I was just looking and they were imported to the states until 2003, but sold in Europe through 2007.

I don't know that I've ever seen one in the wild.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Dang you guys are brutal, I thought it was ok to be fat these days

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Slavvy posted:

Fatty spotted.

MODS I'VE BEEN *heavy breathing* DOXXED

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
The windshield on my cruiser is one of my favorite features, I can ride with my visor up comfortably to about 60mph or so (sunglasses on underneath). That's the jam.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

It's just a bike I'm considering. I have two now which is enough but as we all know enough is never enough. The G310R is cheaper than the CBR300 ABS, the R3, and the Ninja 300 ABS. Like i said and showed above, I have a bike for farm roads and woods (DR), but it'd be nice to have something for the paved back roads that handles well, can hit more than 60 but isn't overpowered, looks cool and doesn't break the bank.

Versys 300 looks pretty cool/capable and is like $5,500 new.

Edit:
There is a on two wheels YouTube video with that and the crf250l rally and it compares well even with light offroad. The crf only has 21hp, which seems low even to me for a modern bike.

dreesemonkey fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Aug 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

I appreciate the heads-up on the Versys but I don't need another dual sport/adventure bike. I have a DR350 which, even though it's crude, does the job. I am looking at a small sport bike. I might even buy a used CBR250/300 or an R3. I want something a little sportier but I don't really need a 600+ sportbike.

My bad, I assumed the BMW was a mini enduro/gs type variant.

If I ever had free time I'd like to ride out and check out your DR350, I have a hankerin for a dual sport one of these days.