Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Hello thread, I'm new to bikes and purchased this eye-searing green Benelli 125 to tootle around on. I am having a great time with it and am mad at myself I didn't do it sooner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

TotalLossBrain posted:

How is the build quality on it? My kid is looking for a 125 mini ever since I got a new Monkey.
The Benelli bikes are quite a bit cheaper than a Grom or Z125 but I don't know anything about them.
I think Benelli did alright with the Hydrospace brand so I'm hoping the same applies here?

As mentioned the design, development and marketing is done by the Italians, everything else about it is Chinese built. Has the same warranty as other brands and the bike shop I bought it from said they've sold loads and that the build quality is solid as long as they're maintained properly. I'm going to be using it a lot so I'll soon find out if the thing sucks I guess but the beauty of it is it's a little bike with pocket money parts which are easily replaceable. The engine itself is supposedly Suzuki derived and known tech so that should be good to go as long as I look after it and run it in properly. The shop did a pre delivery inspection as expected and dropped it off at my house where I spent an afternoon pulling the seat off tweaking cable routing a little and generally getting controls where I want them. Currently happy with it but I've only put about 150 miles on it so far since I got it a week or so ago, I was after a smaller bike because they're adorable and couldn't quite justify the £1000 extra for a Grom/MSX125 and the Z125 Pro I couldn't find anywhere here.

The one thing that does suck about it right off the bat that I learned taking it out at night is the high beam pattern is complete poo poo, it's like a laser pointing directly forward with virtually no spread to it. I need to see If I can adjust that separately from the low beam which is a nice spread in front of the bike.

knox_harrington posted:

What are you getting for its replacement?

Nothing yet. The instructor I took the training with said he thought I'd ridden before and should've just taken my full license straight away so I guess I'm doing that in spring. I kinda love the idea of little bikes though, I've been slowly downsizing my cars as time goes on and been enjoying less and less actual car so we'll see.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Oct 5, 2021

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

opengl128 posted:

No clutch lever this counts right?

So is this just a case of the throttle is 0-100%? That sounds like it could be quite scary on something with the torque of an electric motor :aaa:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I had to go look up what whisky throttle is :lol:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I keep forgetting tech on bikes has gotten that far already. When I took my CBT recently the owner has a massive BMW adventure bike which had basically every bell and whistle that a car does these days.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Horse Clocks posted:

I was quite confused until the picture. Who takes their kid to Slough, and what do you fish there? Car tyres?

Turns out you weren’t talking about the most depressing city in England.

I too was confused by the exact same thing.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

This little shitter has now done 4000 miles since I picked it up in September. Rode it all the way through the UK winter where I've found out that I'm somewhat undergloved in terms of warmth for longer rides but fine everywhere else. It has been utterly faultless which is surprising considering how cheap it was and that it's a Chinese manufactured ride. Managed to acquire a nail in the rear tyre which resulted in a slow puncture and me trying out that tyre foam stuff to get it to a spot to put some new rubber on it. It now wears Michelin's finest scooter tyres and feels less like it's going to murder me if I actually lean the bike over. I definitely think I'm going to get a bigger bike at some point though once I've got my full license.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Remy Marathe posted:

On a 125, in the winter, you are officially riding the poo poo out of that thing

I used to cycle to work year round for 7 years so my tolerance for poo poo weather conditions is pretty high. The one thing I've noticed is that after it rains and the roads are still wet is the worst time to ride due to all the road grime getting thrown up onto your visor. I prefer the rain, it at least keeps your visor clear!

knox_harrington posted:

You have managed to get that cleaner than any bike I rode through UK winter. Mine somehow got irrevocably grimy.

I highly, highly recommend Bilt Hamber's Surfex HD cleaner/degreaser diluted a little less than standard. I spray it on, agitate it with brushes then rinse off with a hose. Sometimes needs a couple of treatments in certain areas but has worked really well for me. I live down country lanes surrounded by farms so I get to wash it every couple of weeks, the recent sunshine spell meant I got to ride in the dry for maybe 9 days straight and it was heaven :v:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Xakura posted:

Last summer, new to me bike.

Why are bike manufacturers cowards these days for the most part? The most extreme things you'll see are a Kawasaki green. Graphics packages like this would look so sick and are probably the reason why I really want to get an older bike over a new one. I missed the chance to buy an NC30 for £800 a couple of years ago, it just needed a fuel pump apparently. I didn't (and still don't) have my big bike license so I passed it up. Huge mistake :(

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

There's one of these at work and I crane my neck to take a look at it every single time, it's a very cool looking bike.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

LimaBiker posted:

Alan Millyard's viper bike weighs 630kg (1380lbs).

He recently pulled it out of storage to give it a check and a run. Absolutely insane thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9KIxKP0Wlw

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Steakandchips posted:

The Millyard Viper is a scary and beautiful work of art.

Would you guys ride it were you offered a chance? I would want to, but would be too scared to.

100% but only on an airstrip back and forth with plenty of room to turn because gently caress dropping that big bastard trying to get round a village somewhere.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

gileadexile posted:

Gonna call an audible in that technically my Magna is in the background of one of these pics, but check it out! An original Moke!

Mokes are pretty much all a car needs to be and it annoys me we armour the gently caress out of cars and insulate them from the outside and how fast they're going. Car design all round has fell off and I guess that's the reason why I now have a bike to go with all my old analogue cars :v:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

FBS posted:

It was so nice out tonight you'd forget it's still a Monday.

I think this is my platonic ideal of what a bike should look like when not fully faired up. It's just such a great looking bike.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

some kinda jackal posted:

Love it, but does the Xiaomi phone really brand-watermark its photos? :psyduck:

You can turn it off in the settings. It's just there because some people really love branding I guess?!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

dema posted:

Fortunately, can't normally see the speedo/dash while riding. At least I can't. It's below my field of view.

I keep the dash in dark mode because the ambient light sensor is absolute trash. It likes to flip between light and dark with just shadows passing over it. Find it distracting if I happen to catch it out of the corner of my eye.

I'm constantly amused by new cars with automatic lights that turn them on driving into shade under trees and such. like "oh poo poo are they braking?!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

epswing posted:

That is such a handsome motorcycle. Which Honda is that again? Every time you post it I drool a bit.

Same reaction here. Honda Hornet.