Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
How I normally roll:

My bike when I have to carry a lot of stuff:

2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 LTD. Nothing special, but it's mine. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

predictive posted:

:words: Versys :words:

If you don't stop talking about the Versys, I'm going to take the $6k out of my savings account and walk into the Kawasaki dealer right now. I'm warning you!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

tProfessorChaost posted:

rides way better than any big bike I've ever been on, super comfy, easy to handle for its size. the only complaints we have really had => there was a recall on the ignition switch, the bike would just shut off randomly O_o dealer fixed for free of course, and there are some issues with the ipod hookup, it seems to get interference from another electrical device, dunno if its just his bike or a more overreaching problem. but that's about it, i cant think of a single thing you would want that it doesn't have, i mean the windshield can be raised or lowered electronically from the grips.... it almost has too many features.

Isn't it missing a GPS hookup, too? I heard that was a complaint for a bike that literally has everything else. Or maybe that was the new Concours.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Ripoff posted:

My '91 Nighthawk 750, a.k.a. the bike that's good at everything except being great. Dead reliable, starts with no issues, handles well, but I want to trade it up on something new this upcoming winter/spring.

I don't suppose you're in Illinois...

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

greg_graffin posted:

My 1978 Honda Hawk TypeII that I'm always bugging you all with questions about. I can never buy another bike without a kickstarter now, as the battery has been completely dead for over a year and a half and I actually somewhat enjoy kickstarting it like some kind of lame badass.

My buddy did that with his Honda Hawk for a long time, but had some problems. His turn signals barely blunk as there wasn't enough juice for them to do so (they'd turn on and dim briefly, instead), his headlight would dim as he applied his brakes, and eventually the bike randomly died on him. A new battery solved all those issues.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

greg_graffin posted:

Also, blunk is an awesome new word.

Futurama used it, so it has to be correct, right?

We work nights, so it became a problem for him when running to the store and such. Just keep an eye out for it.

Your bike looks to be in much better shape than his, though.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

There is nothing different about the bike from the other picture I put up when this thread first started, but I like how this picture came out.

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

I wish I had a sexier cooler instead of that orange lump on the back.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Christoff posted:

Also, how much of a violation is it in other states? Can you still do it here and there and be alright? Or is it a moving violation? People don't do it at all?

I've only seen lane splitting a handful of times here in IL, so I don't know how cops would react. Only once was it filtering to the front at a light and not squid behavior on the highway, which I'm sure you'd get in serious trouble for. I would suspect filtering would definitely get you pulled over, though you might just get a talkin' to.

I've personally only done it once. There was an ambulance parked just beyond my driveway, so all the cars were stopped. I was three cars back from getting into my parking lot, so I cut along on the right and pulled in. Everyone was too busy dealing with the ambulance to notice me.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Where do you find a moped in Illinois. I've been doing quick Craigslist searches from time-to-time and never see anything for sale and there seems to be only one shop in Chicago based on a quick Google search.

I'd love to get one to dick around on for $200-$300.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Tempting. I'll have to think about it. I'm not sure how useful one would be to me as I don't have anywhere I can keep it and every road around me is 40+ mph. I was just more curious on where the things can be found while I dream about 'em.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

xelfer posted:

Here's an updated image of my gixx i posted in here about 3 months ago:

full story at http://www.netrider.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=62464 if you're bored.

Man, how'd you get a picture at the moment of impact? That's intense.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

sklnd posted:

Good looking, but do you have a problem with all the exposed wiring?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I love the look of 599's and want a Ruckus, so I'm jealous of you.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Doctor Zero posted:

Wait... your father didn't know it was there? How does that happen?

Seeing my father's garage, I can totally believe you can lose a motorcycle in a shed.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

BSAKat posted:

Thanks. I used a few cans of a supposed super high-temp paint used on car exhaust manifolds. It's worked so far, and for a sum total of about ten dollars American.

Were they chromed before? How did you work around that?

Last time I looked into painting the exhaust, The question of painting over chrome came up and I never got it answered properly.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

huplescat posted:

I don't think I'll ever be able to lift the 750 even with a good technique. It's just too top heavy.

Tada
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPjYweKeiLk

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

huplescat posted:

I'm a girl, bikes are heavy :colbert: The girl in the first video couldn't do it either. I rest my case.

Hmm, I didn't get that far into the video before posting it.

But, still, remember that technique and don't try lifting it with your back like your fist instinct would be. Plus, adrenaline helps a lot.

I don't think he mentioned it, but if the bike falls on the right side, hold the front brake with your left hand. Either side it falls on, try to put the bike in gear if you can. This keeps the bike from rolling while you are lifting it.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

My brakes squeal from sitting outside unless I clean the rotor every week or two.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Raven457 posted:

You guys got goody bags? drat... we just got heat exhaustion and sunburn. :(

I got a t-shirt which cost me my $20 fee (you could get your $20 back if you stay for the whole class or you could donate it to the class and get the shirt).

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

the walkin dude posted:

Speaking of Can Ams, I saw a TV ad for those things the other day. It showed a few Can Ams taking on the twisties. The riders stayed perfectly straight up vertical on their trikes. It looked like the most boring thing ever.

I see one on Hulu every once in a while and it says you can take your motorcycle license test on one. :psyduck:

Maybe it's like taking your test on a trike: you get your license, but are limited to three wheeled vehicles?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Royale with Cheese posted:

Finished peeling off the stickers just as the rain picked up

Why would you do that? Those are sweet!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Aargh posted:

I'm not sure if it's 100% good for the bike but I always use my sidestand cut-off to turn the bike off.

Does it cut out any time the side stand is down, or only in gear with the clutch let out? My bike will run with the side stand down as long as it is either in neutral or when the clutch is pulled in. I can't see myself stopping, leaving the bike in gear, and dropping the clutch only to trust the side stand cut-off will kick in.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

mattmofob posted:

Here is a pic of my Ape.

That looks awesome, but I have no idea what it is. More info?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I didn't see it anywhere, and Googling it I found only other people reporting the same problem.

Android or iOS?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Android

This is how it works on my phone. I wasn't able to get a screenshot with the overlay icons on the screen, but I think I can explain it.
Set up your navigation:

Hit the Menu button and select Route Info. You should get a screen like this, but with four icons on the bottom:

The second icon on the screen is a pair of gears. Select that and you get:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

PleasusChrist posted:

:stare:

I hate it so much but I can't stop reading.

That's why I closed my browser and walked away. loving rabbit holes.