Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
I don't know what that is, but I think I want a box now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
You can always find a use for a vice.

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
That's just a good excuse for a bigger and better workbench. :colbert:

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
I jumped on twitch to see what you were doing, but apparently you didn't leave it in for long, so I followed you. The small sledgehammer video was pretty cool, though from the angle of the camera it looked like you missed a fair bit.

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
Only problem with that idea is, you wouldn't have uniform expansion.

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc

Tur bin. Tur bin. Tur bin.

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
ThisoldTony has a couple videos on YouTube that goes over carbide and hss.

On mobile otherwise I'd link.

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
I'm not sure you even need a forge for 6 micromillimeter stock.

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
Nah, my post was really referring to cakesmiths 6mmm typo, you just happened to post just before me.

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
They were posted earlier in the thread, and then Alec Steele linked them on his most recent video, which has gotten him about 15k more subscribers in the past two days.

Makes me wonder if Alec browses these forums on occasion.

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc

Ferremit posted:

I loving hate you.... When i was doing core sampling and I could do the work with the drill rig it was fine- the rockmaster rigs have about 2 tonnes of lift capacity so that wasnt an issue, and if we couldnt pull a tube with the main lift rams you could use the massive rams on the stabiliser legs of the vehicle to pull em out cos that would get a 4 tonne landcruiser nearly half a meter off the ground.

Tho when I did hand sampling where you couldnt get the rig to the site, then it was all done with a lever winch. I had a 500kg winch, and a 3000kg winch, and if the pipe wouldnt come back up out of the ground, it was fit the 3000kg winch and slide a 1m core tube over the handle and swing and hang and bounce on the fucker until the tube released or you tore the top off the push tube...

That sounds like pretty reasonably placed hate to me.

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
They only thought if they could, but not if they should.

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc

captkirk posted:

I realize this thread is more about "make a thing" and less about "restore an old thing" but my grandfather gave me a horse shoe that was made by his uncle who was a black smith. It's got a decent looking layer of rust on it but I'd like to do something to remove the rust, seal it against future rust and mount in on a plaque or something. It's a fairly thin shoe (it was made as a shoe for a race horse by my grandfather's telling) and I'm worried about getting too aggressive with it in terms of removing too much material.

Any recommendations for fairly gently removing a few decades of rust from a horse shoe and then sealing against further rust?

Personally take a wire cup in a drill to it first, before getting all chemical with it. You might like the look of it with the surface rust knocked off.

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
You can heat it in a well ventilated area, or cut it to the lengths you need and soak it in vinegar for a half hour or so then wipe the zinc coating off.

Im not sure how well that pipe will work as a hold down, especially long term.

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
Masonry blade with an angle grinder or a tile saw are about the best options I can think of. The hack saw might work, but it's not something I'd personally want to do.

As for the refractory questions I don't have any answers.

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
I would pay a little bit of money to watch someone cut a hard firebrick with a butter knife.

Now the soft firebrick sure, that you can cut with harsh words.

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
I think the biggest thing would be make sure you can bolt it to a solid surface, since an aluminum frame will be quite a bit lighter than steel.

I don't know that I'd be worried much about shavings of a grinder except for maybe around any adjustable sections, and everything should be going down or away anyways.

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
A straight edge and a razor blade is how I've seen it done in the past.

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
I would think that maybe a triangle top made out of angle iron, just large enough to hold the anvil and some angle iron legs bolted to it that you could fold around the top like a hinge would work.

At least it's the first thing that comes to mind given the limits you listed.

I've seen some flat-pack camp chairs in that style which is what gave me the idea.

immoral_ fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Nov 15, 2020

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
While a welder would be best for the top plate, i think I'd try to use oversized bolts for the pivot/hinge with another bolt to use to lock it in place.

It sounded more like you need a stable hard surface to hammer against more than something that could stand up to heavy blows though, so maybe I was mistaken there.

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
Just make sure if you do that, that the body of the clamp can take the extra force. I've broken some just tightening them by hand.

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
Thread favorite Clickspring also has a Sherline that he breaks out on occasion, he doesn't really get into the nitty-gritty of using one. But you can get an idea of the kinds of things you can use it for beyond handles.

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
Ah, right, it's one of those "fucker that accepted the job" kinda things. Yeah, those suck.

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
Check out some of the older This Old Tony videos as well.

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
I own a red welder, and learned how to weld, for given values of "learned", on a blue welder. Practically speaking the only difference between the two is the fact that I could get the red one a bit cheaper than the blue one when I was in the market.

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
If you are to venture to weld it yourself, be sure grind a V along the crack and fill it in with weld, it'll be much stronger than a surface weld.

If you took it to someone that does know how to weld I would hope that they will do that themselves.

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
Note to self: don't gently caress around with Ti.

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
Apparently pyrite is also an option, though I don't know if the process is much different.

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
Brushed mild steel has such a nice look to it, that said I'm not sure how well it removes millscale on its own.

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

my filler hand doesnt catch on fire.

Are you sure you're doing it right then?

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

Thanks to all for the replies re:rust removal.

This is somewhat of a duplicate post from my related post in the woodworking thread. Is there anything I should coat the inside of the eye with to keep it from rusting?

How about the outside of the head, aside from the actual cutting edges. Should I just re-tremclad it? Or leave it bare and coat it with some thin oil like protectant? I'm mainly concerned with longevity and not "bruh that looks fuckin sykk"!

You could soak it in wood for the memes.

But really, having a good fitup and not leaving it in the elements will keep it just fine for as long as the handle lasts.

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc

Ziggy Smalls posted:

Non ferrous metals can clog grinding tools but after my cat got stolen last october I found that the general suggestion is to add steel in strategic places so it takes significantly longer to cut out the cat.

If you forget what cat is short for, which I totally didn't do, this becomes a very different message.

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc

Anodized penetrators had a good run.. But now it's time for pitching.

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
That is the perfect job for a half-round bastard file, but most any will do the jump with varying degrees of effort.

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
Does it have to be precise, nearly 7 inch stick out on a boring bar small enough to do 9mm internal, seems a bit much.

Can you cast it, since you said aluminum would be the likely metal?

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc

Yooper posted:

Press brake means that a mandrel presses the metal into a die, usually hydraulically but also servo controlled. Pan-Box-finger means it's being bent over the fingers / tool edge.

Watching a skilled CNC press brake is like magic. But watching some retired sheet metal dude work a manual brake is also amazing.

I am a not retired sheet metal dude, and watching me work the break is so not amazing.

That's why I work out in the field.

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc

Ghostnuke posted:

I kinda just realized I'm a dumbass - I can just weld an m12 nut to the underside of the 1/2 inch hole and thread the bolt through.

Comedy option, file the 1/2" hole out to fit the m12 nut, then weld the nut on.

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
Also not putting so much heat into what you're welding that it corkscrew as soon as you remove said hold downs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
It shows up just fine, it's just that small.