Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
Would a short piece of angle iron work as a bracket. You could bend out the top to make a winged -v- shape

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
I thought that might be the case, hence the angle iron idea. You could even use a couple of wooden wedges. I'm rubbish at diagrams but the green bit is angle iron, shaded is wood.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
Just on the chain mail thing. You can successfully use sprung steel washers. Counter twist them to "open" them up and then link them up before twisting flush. And they won't pull apart like wire.

It doesn't take as long as you think and you can watch tv or do something else at the same time. I might still have a bit lying around somewhere.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
You could try asking around the living history/ reenactment community. There are a couple of sites that keep up lists of groups for you to find a local one.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
That gas forge looks very tidy, is it something you bought or made Slung Blade?

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
http://www.lathes.co.uk/page21.html is a good way to spend a coffee break if you're interested in lathes.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
It's pretty easy to remove galvanise using a weak citric acid solution. Citric acid is available from home brew places and is cheap and safe.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
I believe you can use malt vinegar to check for the presence of magnesium, if you're planning to recycle material that's something you might consider. How are you going to melt It down?

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
Pretty excited about this: I've been offered access to a laser cutter on the basis I provide the dxf and the steel and they'll cut whatever I want.

What do I need to consider when doing my layouts? Apparently the software can work out the lead in and lead outs but what about clearance for interlocking parts, relief cuts, that sort of thing.

Kinda tempted to do a whole sheet of meccano
http://www.dalefield.com/nzfmm/slap/RoyalMeccano.JPG

Or some finger jointed boxes. Anyone got any other suggestion of test pieces to give me ideas?

Rapulum_Dei fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Dec 18, 2013

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
I know it was a couple of pages back but has anyone done much lost wax style casting? Do you still use sand or a more solid mold like a plaster of some sort?

I have an idea a cunning plan for making aluminium parts using the lost wax method and originals made of either polystyrene or 3D printed PLA

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
To save you the embarrassment; do remember to use something to hold the pick while you offer it up to the grinding wheel. It will get very hot very quickly.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009

Ambrose Burnside posted:

I'd be using it for large-scale chainmaille, not finger-rings or whatever, so if I did it that way every ring would have to be sawed open, woven into the chainweave, and welded shut again. Much faster to make the links the normal way, by winding heavy wire around a mandrel and then sawing down the length of the coil to get a couple dozen rings all at once.

Spring steel washers work well using 2 pairs of pliers to twist them open then closed. Very resilient to pulling apart once done.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
From my experience with the Emco FB-2 I bought you can could probably do anything, if you're patient enough...

Would making your tooling in mild and case hardening the face be an option for you?

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
Autodesk fusion 360 is pretty powerful and free for students/hobbyists

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
Any of you sage chaps do much electroplating?

I'm particularly interested in food safe finishes. http://3dprint.com/11807/3d-printed-skyrim-swords/ has me wondering if i can make customised goblets and tankards.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
Yeah or http://www.3ders.org/articles/20150424-dutch-students-smuggle-3d-printed-knives-into-court-to-prove-a-security-flaw.html

Its the same mentality that stops me taking nail clippers onto a plane then gives me steel cutlery and glass with my meal. Its a mystery.

I guess it might be interesting to see what would happen if you made exotic or historical reproduction arrow tips and then plated them for hardness or plated helmets for role-playing or SCA or whatever but that's not my thing.

Unless nerds would want to pay me lots of money for said lightweight plated helmets, then it might be.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
Oh yeah I meant making something with the right appearance, not functionality. Elvish great helms and crowns etc.

That said when you look at even a motorbike helmet it's polystyrene with a thin layer of plastic so you could possibly do something similar with polystyrene, a thick shell of ABS or Nylon with a cosmetic brush plated finish.

Anyway, I'm not doing that. Tell me more about how not to die in a hydrogen explosion while I hook up batteries.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
No I think they're designed to dissipate a single impact of several tons. Perhaps a better comparison then would be a riot helmet, also foam covered in rigid cover.

But it's a moot point as I'm not planning to try it.

Rapulum_Dei fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Apr 27, 2015

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009

ANIME AKBAR posted:

I'm an electrical engineer who wants to do a short production run of a gizmo I made (like 100-1000), but I'm stuck on the enclosure which is a big cost driver. Initially I was planning to go with an ABS plastic case with custom machining (I was getting quotes $7 per piece for 1000 pieces), but recently someone suggested I take a look at metal stamping instead. The plastic box is about 4.5x3.5x1.5", and would need holes on several sides, some of them tapped. I've done some googling but I'm having trouble finding examples of simple enclosures, most fabricators seem to specialize either in very small and flat parts or huge enclosures for vending machines and such, so I can't get an idea of how much this would cost. Anyone have any experience with stamping?

Have you got any quotes for 3d printing?

Rapulum_Dei fucked around with this message at 22:07 on May 11, 2015

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009

ANIME AKBAR posted:

3d printing is definitely not economical, at least not for anything beyond a few prototypes. Just the cost of the consumables would be excessive compared to the machined plastic enclosures.

I'm not sure what consumables you mean, ABS filament for 3D printers is $19 for a 2lb reel, maybe less.

That video of the CNC punch is a pleasure to watch, what an amazing machine.

Rapulum_Dei fucked around with this message at 06:55 on May 12, 2015

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
It's doubtless been posted before in this thread but I never get tired of looking at http://www.lathes.co.uk/drummondroundbed/

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
That guys videos are great. He's like a modern (Canadian) Fred Dibnah.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
Yeah they're a ubiquitous little job sold under loads of different names. Google 6x4 bandsaw mods to see what people have done to improve them.

I got one from the for sale ads and with a bit of fettling it has served me well. I cut stops at 30 and 45 degrees and made a new stand. I was going to make a suds tray and use a fish tank pump or coolant but never got round to it.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
Following on from the copper plated experiment I posted a while back I've got it dialled in a bit more and can now Nickel plate my 3d prints.

I feel okay about posting it here since it really is metal. Magnetic and everything...

They both came out just as shiny. But a rub with black boot polish gives it a bit of age. The surface finish is dependant on how much prep you do before plating. In my case none. But the effect is that it looks cast which is fine for me.

My next piece is a miniature ark from the Indiana Jones film.

On the offchance does anyone know a good source for conductive paint that will ship to the UK? Prices seem madly expensive but I'm convinced there's some other non hobby application that will be a reasonable price. I was looking at some of the conductive aerosols intended for EMI shielding which claim to be conductive but IDK.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009

Brekelefuw posted:

If you don't follow Clickspring on youtube, you should because everything he does is gorgeous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uST7iJgC_gs

This box is amazing.

RIP my productivity

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
yeah when the zombie apocalypse comes that's the guy you need. Keep your dick in a vice.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
Enjoying the mill rebuild, keep it up with the pictures.

Oh and myfordboy YouTube channel to add to your lists.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009

mekilljoydammit posted:

Solidworks model of the first real project, a rotary engine intake manifold.

The consumable pattern on my coffee table with beer for reference.

Please come back with your progress. I've just got a central heating burner and am about the cast a foundry body to do the exact same thing with 3D printed lost was casting so I'd love to avoid any pitfalls I can.

Did you work out the shrinkage % from the test cube?

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
Your experience of dealing with the public as a local government official will serve you well I suspect.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
Anyone else think it's curious that AvE has just posted a video relating to the hydraulic press video posted recently in this very thread?

They are among us!

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
You can 3D print it in ABS and there's stronger materials like XT.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
That threads a good read. Imagine what Kev and Slung Blade working together could achieve.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
I think he means why not anodise aluminium since it's cheap and can be cut with a stiff breeze?

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
If you've some copper sheet handy you could use it as 'backing', The welds won't stick to it and might let you build up a layer without just punching holes. Or not, dunno but might be worth a shot.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
I have this awful premonition; lying in the hospital bed, the doctors have said it'll not be long now so the grandkids have been brought in to say goodbye before it's too late. I smile and it turns into a wracking cough, hacking and wheezing before I can catch my breath again.

Little Daisy takes my hand, her fingers gripping tightly. 'Is there anything You need granddaddy?'

I close my eyes, lay back and think of a life well lived and the happy bitter sweet memories of my long dead wife and the joy my family has brought me. Only a single lingering regret remains, only one road untrodden. With a sigh little more than a whisper I slip away with a single word.

Bridgeport

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
Blacksmithing / Metalwork: Not much has changed for 2,700 years

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009

His Divine Shadow posted:

Finally this hell week is coming to an end. Everyone's been laid out with this bad cold so I hadn't had time to look at my new welder or really do anything, but last night I got to it. Turns out it makes a constant annoying sound in stick mode. I thought there was something broken but consulting the manual it was the idling sound it makes in stick mode. Perhaps it's some kind of safety feature. I knew of one person who used to have the same machine and he said yes it does that, and there's a kinda whining sound when it welds too, so you can tell by ear if someone's having too long an arc. Tried it for myself and it definitely makes a different noise depending on the arc length. Way way way easier to weld with, I didn't know welding could be this easy.

That's the danger of MIG. It's not too difficult to make a weld that _looks_ fine but is as effective as a bead of silicone. Weld two things together then cut through the cross section, if it doesn't look like one continuous material, it isn't really welded.

Your local tec might have evening classes in welding or fabrication that would be worth a look.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
Yeah I don't know how I read that from your post. Huh, that's what I get for posting before I've had coffee.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
After months of Fettling I have finally turned scalp aluminium into small Jaffa cake ingots of aluminium!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
You can pick up one of those generic 6x4 bandsaws for <100 second hand. They're pretty good once you fettle them a bit.

Evolution make a chopsaw as well. They might even make one that flips over into a table saw too, I'm not sure.