Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.
When you are doing out of position welding or have to contort your body, then the finger tip control is nice. Otherwise I too prefer the slimmer torch (I like water cooled) and a foot pedal.

BTW, I'm jealous of your 3 phase power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.
You should notice a much smoother, nicer arc. It will also sound different too. You should now have no problem using carbons for air-carbon arc gouging!

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.
There's an OLD book out there by the Nicholson company called "File Filosophy". There's several different versions in PDF out there, here's one of them.

http://www.wewilliams.net/docs/1920%20-%20File%20Filosophy%20by%20Nicholson%20File%20Co.-%2011th%20Ed.pdf

Not much about files has changed in 100 years. Can't help you with recommendations of modern brands that are quality, I'd be interested in that info myself.

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.
11 litres seems awfully small. Even if that's the physical volume of the cylinder, that comes to just under .4 cubic feet which is TINY.

I called my LWS today (east coast, mid-Atlantic region)... they would charge me $50 USD to swap out my 141 cubic foot cylinder. (that refers to the volume of the gas @ atmospheric pressure)

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.
If you need refractory, see if there is a Harbison Walker distributor near you: http://thinkhwi.com/

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.
6013 was a rod developed by a masochist with the express purpose of making weldor's experience using it a living hell.

TIG welding: I can almost guarantee you your arc length is too long. If you are an inexperienced TIG'er and you aren't dipping your puddle and constantly regrinding your tungsten, your arc length is too long.

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.
Halligan142 has a couple videos for lathe tool bit grinding where he has a large wooden model that is helpful to see in describing the various angles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHEf6YL6sFI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFnTXgXMbrQ

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.

shame on an IGA posted:

I feel slightly robbed that my intro to welding cc class two years ago was strictly stick and oxy

Negative, you were blessed. Most people don't go out of their way to learn stick, they pretty much have to be forced to do it properly, and afterwards you are left with a valuable skill.

I understand the makerspace will make you take a class before using their poo poo, and that's fine, but realistically speaking to Learn MIG you spend some time on Jody's website and youtube channel and you'll learn everything you need to know about MIG. The bigger challenge is having the correct equipment and consumables. knowing what these are, and setting the machine up properly for a given job.

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.
Most likely whatever TIG welder the shop has will also do Stick if anyone really wants to. They are both constant current power supplies. That said, a makerspace would not be full of professional weldors, so I'm not surprised there is not a dedicated stick welder.

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.
The galvanized debate comes up every so often.

FACT: the poo poo's bad for you, even lethal under some circumstances

FACT: If you have an alternative available to you, you should absolutely use it.

OPINION: You should NEVER under ANY circumstance EVER weld galvanized. Don't loving do it. You will die, the world will end.

OPINION: Given proper precautions (Good ventilation (outside), a respirator with P100 filters that fits under a welding hood such as 3M half mask, a fan, and efforts be it mechanical and/or chemical to remove as much galvanization as possible) one can make the occasional galvanized weld while managing the risks if other options are not available.

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.

Whoever painted that lathe did an awesome job!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.
Great job getting the machine running, and awesome looking part, Thanks!