Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

halonx
May 4, 2005

Very nice weld. Want to come over and weld up my tire hammer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

halonx
May 4, 2005

I've been screwing around with my propane forge for awhile, not producing anything spectacular so I decided to take a forging workshop.

We learned how to make scrolls for the hook, then we made the tongs from a single 14" piece of half inch square stock. Then we made a cold chisel, annealed it, and tempered it.

halonx
May 4, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

Sounds like you took a similar intro to blacksmithing course as the one I took!

Your first tongs look better than my first tongs (I managed to get a crack at the jaw that we had to weld shut).

Yeah they turned out pretty drat good. I've been screwing around with my propane forge since about February and had tried making some tongs based on internet tutorials and they turned into a mess.

The workshop was with a very traditional smith and I think he's gotten me hooked on using coal. I haven't been able to burn a piece of metal in my propane forge, but the coal was able to get the metal HOT. The only problem is that to switch to coal I'll have to put in a new flue, build a coal forge, and keep a poo poo ton of coal around.

halonx
May 4, 2005

Well, after starting my tirehammer build I ended up finding a 50lbs Little Giant trip hammer from 1901.

It sat for awhile due to not having a motor or even somewhere to plug it in.

After getting a 2hp motor and running a new circuit in my shop, I have finally got this bastard running.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtgVaWgZ6l0

halonx
May 4, 2005

Slung Blade posted:

Aww gently caress yeah, congrats.

Make sure you build some kind of shield to protect your face when that spring eventually explodes. Great little hammers.

Keep it oiled and greased and it'll last a long drat time.

Yeah, the shield is something I want to do, but I am struggling with where/how to attach it. I definitely want to do it though since it appears the spring has been repaired once already.

halonx
May 4, 2005

Slung Blade posted:

Wow, that's crazy. Most air hammers I've seen need a super beefy foundation pad under them. How long will that pallet last?

I hope that isn't the permanent setup, according to the original documentation that came with my little 50lbs hammer there should be a substantial concrete base ( http://www.littlegianthammer.com/plans.html ).

Mine is sitting on my 8" shop slab with a 3/4" rubber horse stall mat so I'm a bit nervous about my shop floor cracking.

halonx
May 4, 2005

E1M2 posted:

It is the permanent setup. I think it's there so you can easily pick up the hammer with a fork lift. I was concerned about it too at first, but it seemed sturdy enough while using it. I'll talk to the owner about it next time I see him.

If it works, it works. I'm definitely not following the recommendations right now. I think the size of the base they recommend is supposed to cut down on sound/vibrations elsewhere. I've also seen them mounted on railroad ties. I think I'm definitely going to anchor mine down though, it was doing a bit of walking while I used it.

halonx
May 4, 2005

ArtistCeleste posted:

True. If cost isn't a thing it's better to buy until you have good experience. I use Billy Tongs. They are about the same price. http://www.piehtoolco.com/contents/en-us/d1409.html

I've ordered a few of these: http://kensiron.com/quick_tongs.html

Saves me the hassle of making the whole thing from scratch each time.

halonx
May 4, 2005

ReelBigLizard posted:

Oh snap that's a great idea. Shame he doesn't ship outside North America, maybe I should get my local waterjet cutters to do me a pile of them.

Did you contact him? It looks like he might ship to you, but his cart won't automatically calculate the shipping.

halonx
May 4, 2005

I finally pulled the trigger on a brand new anvil after looking for months. A few months ago I was ready to do it, but then decided on a flypress instead. I happened to get a nice bonus for work so I decided to order this anvil after I kept coming back to it again and again.

halonx
May 4, 2005

Slung Blade posted:

Fuckin awesome. How much, how heavy, where from, did it come with the lifting strap and base stand, and, most importantly, can you use it to do shoulder shrugs?

$1495 plus another $200 for the stand from Big Blu, weighs 260+ pounds. The strap was literally the only way I could lift it, I had to use my engine hoist. I tried lifting it out of the back of my car and just about pooped myself.

halonx
May 4, 2005

at the date posted:

Jesus Christ

I lift my old 180lbs anvil to move it around, I figured, whats another 80lbs?

Quite a bit it seems.

halonx
May 4, 2005

Slung Blade posted:

Also, halonx, that seems like a good deal. Was the company pleasant to work with? Sometimes, small specialty manufacturers are royal pains in the dick.

They were pretty drat good. They make anvils, power hammers, etc. but they also are a working blacksmith shop ( http://www.oakhilliron.com/ ). They seem to really know their stuff and I think one of their guys is more or less dedicated to customer service.

halonx
May 4, 2005

ArtistCeleste posted:

A flat horn on an anvil comes in very handy. Beautiful purchase. Did you already post a picture of the flypress? I want to see the fly press.

I did not, but here is a picture of it right after I finished getting the stand built:

It is a #4 from oldworldanvils.com and has been awesome, other than the shipping company who were complete knobs.

So far I've used it to do some mokume gane and some dishing with my swage block. I have to make the tooling for each project I use it for before I can start the project so that adds some extra fun to using the press.

halonx
May 4, 2005

Kasan posted:

Wait, thats in Morganton NC. Are you a local to this area? (I'm 15 minutes west of Morganton.)

Nope, I'm in central Wisconsin and had to have it shipped, which ended up being about half price when I found a place with a loading dock to have it shipped to.

halonx
May 4, 2005

Spurred on by the Reddit r/blacksmith March contest, I decided to create a sign hanger. Because I wanted some practice with my plasma cutter I also made an anvil sign to hang as well.

I wanted to practice my fish tail ends and put them in the scrolls also.

I didn't think far enough ahead to leave myself room for rivets to hold the support in place and ended up having to weld it. I would definitely change that if I did it again. Possibly make things a little larger so the scrolls are a little more open to allow for riveting.

Edit: Also got to finally use my new anvil after mounting it, etc. and it is loving awesome.

halonx fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Mar 12, 2015

halonx
May 4, 2005

Pagan posted:

I didn't think to look at Reddit for smithing, but makes sense. I've gotten so used to SA's easy to read layout that reddit seems archaic. Any tips on using reddit without feeling like it's a BBS from 1987?

Also, that anvil makes me jealous. And I just bought a pretty pimp anvil.

I've found with Reddit that you have to subscribe to what you want and ditch the crap you don't care about.

The anvil is really nice. Edges are still too sharp and I'll need to dress them, but wow it really seemed to help move the metal faster.

halonx
May 4, 2005

Bad Munki posted:

Wow that's a lot of words for something literally nobody in the world cares about!

:vince:

Hey now, I'm taking a hammer and stake style repousse class around October. That just goes to show that there are at least 4-5 people interested in that post.

halonx
May 4, 2005

Ambrose Burnside posted:

You mean raising? Raising is confusing as gently caress to wrap your mind around at first but it's real useful for drawing deep forms or producing concavities that'd make you want to jump in front of a truck if done in pitch. Nice and complementary with repousse, although I don't do very much nowadays.

Yeah, the guy I will be taking the course from refers to it as French style repousse( https://bighornforge.wordpress.com/category/repousse/ ). I've taken multiple classes with him, great teacher.

halonx
May 4, 2005

http://www.swagoffroad.com/SWAG-V40-Portaband-Table_p_63.html

I picked up one of these and mount my portaband to it. It works surprisingly well. I'm not cutting huge stock usually, but I used it for everything over the past year and it has been great. I even used it to cute my square tube which I built my grinder with.

halonx
May 4, 2005

Taking a class this week on French Repousse/raising, made some hammers and stakes:

Then used those tools to make some stuff:

The class is pretty great and I got to use the Sahliner power hammer which is in another league compared to my Little Giant.

Working on some water leaves and probably an acanthus leaf next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

halonx
May 4, 2005

rawrr posted:

That looks amazing - how much time does a piece like that normally take you?

Each one was about six hours. Since I'm just learning I might be able to shave off an hour or so with more practice.