Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

mismatched music production gear, as well as the monitor stand I've since replaced (as it fell apart)

not a flattering photo, but this screen owns, it's an ASUS ProArt something or other. It's a medium gloss 1080p 24" LED IPS screen.

Monitors are BX5a's, and the ridiculously overdone sound card is a Saffire 24.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Wibla posted:

If the setup sounds good to him, what's the problem?

I run Tannoy Sensys DC1s on my desk (big dual concentric bookshelfs), they sound great to me, but I'm sure they'd sound better on stands, a bit further away than 3 ft.

i have m-audio bx5as right next to my face, hail satan.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

between the picture quality, chair and maddox poster I'd believe that picture is from 2004.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I'd never build or want to use it, but I think it's cyberpunk AF, fits your purpose and looks unique. Good work dude.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

anyone have tips about reducing monitor shake? I have a new ikea aldis desk and a samsung U28E590D - every keystroke results in a bit of shake and it's super distracting.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

HalloKitty posted:

But then it's throwing all of your windows away, possibly not preserving the Z-order and so on, never been a fan.

macOS hot corners let you peek at the desktop, move stuff around or open finder windows, and then bring everything back below your new windows.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

My Dad was 6ft 4" and probably 225+ pounds at some point. Number of desk chairs broken: 0, number of special ~Big Boy~ chairs required: 0. These chairs are gimmick and a waste of money. Get a cheaper, more ergonomic chair, an LED strip and a gym membership.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

TenementFunster posted:

we're not talking about people who weigh 225, either.

lol at "king" being a euphemism for "medical emergency obesity" though

'King' size suits people up to 300lb @ 6ft 3. Unless they're selling them in Samoa and Tonga, it's definitely a euphamism for 'fat as gently caress'.

I do wonder what the casters are like to deal with 370lb+ loads.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Things really started popping off once the overwatch rule 34 dropped

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

flux makes a huge difference to me - before using it, it'd take me much longer to go to sleep. I'd feel really wired if I went straight from using the computer to bed. flux definitely curbed that feeling.

I have a small RGB LED flood lamp in the bedroom, having it set to blue has never curbed my ability to drift off. Any impact of the blue light is offset by the calming colours and low intensity of the light.

Plus, you don't look DIRECTLY AT an LED strip for MULTIPLE HOURS, like a monitor.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The way i see is: apple added night shift to iOS. Apple would almost certainly not gently caress with display colours on any device without good reason.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I mean, if it is on the LHS of his desk, what's the point of the window? You can't see in.

I think it's hideous too, but if dude likes it, more power.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

it's not like table legs are *that* inconvenient ... what a nightmare.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

the dungeon door on the wall, below the PC.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Hold on, let me check my temps *launches off chair into hunched positiong over the PC tower*

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

That sucks. I clamped my monitor to a set of shelves so that there's zero wobble when typing. It's the way of the future.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Ruflux posted:

I've personally never liked having a TV in the bedroom and all but typically bitter goons have apparently decided having one means you're a permavirgin fat slob manchild.

The thing is, we all are or were that person (or a variant of) and when we see someone living even shttier, it's like smelling blood in the water. Gotta punch down on someone.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

necrobobsledder posted:

Everyone that does numerical data entry is obsessed with numpads like my dad, but he's retired now. However, they can buy separate ones these days if they need them. Works better to have your numpad separated anyway like split keyboards if that's the kind of workflow required.

my brother is in finance, formerly a bank teller / manager and uses top row. i don't get it. i assume the keyboards he worked on at the bank were some OEM dogshit which had a hosed up numpad or something.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

assuming you program the dx7 with your feet

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

there's a chair thread, check it out. Just be sure to include a budget because chairs range in price a lot.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3383243&pagenumber=89#lastpost

There's decent IKEA ones as a basic choice, FLINTAN and the fancier MARKUS are decent.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Ok Comboomer posted:

Deadmau5 is tacky but I don’t think he’s “Illuminati themed PC” tacky

he as a tattoo sleeve of an anime girl wrapped in tentacles. He's way more tacky than Illuminati PC.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

velcro, NEVER zip ties

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Taima posted:

Thanks. Totally fair on the loud.

This is so lame but the reason I turn the gaming setup those colors is because that's my master bedroom. I work from home, and the master bedroom is where all the work AND gaming is done, AND my home gym along with like... sleeping of course too.

The only time I leave my room, generally speaking, is going biking (mountain or road biking for at least one hour, 7 days a week) and evenings I'm cooking dinner and hanging out with the wife until we go to sleep. I don't eat during the day; just one meal a day, at dinner. I rarely run errands or shop for groceries; kind of a long story but I don't have to do those things, they are done for me.

As a result my life is depressingly static during weekdays. So, to give the illusion of free will and difference in my daily schedule, I change the lights. The lighting around the office PC that you see there is the "workday" lighting when im coding or taking a zoom call or whatever.

Then when the workday is done I turn on the party lights so I can have some small change of pace, so it doesn't all blur together. Kinda sad I guess, but there it is.

blink twice if you need me to call the police

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Thirst Mutilator posted:

Why an area rug? I think the hardwood looks pretty good and an an area rug would just disrupt the existing aesthetic.

big thicc rugs are definitely compatible with a music studio aesthetic

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Edward IV posted:

How much desk space do you need and how big of a closet do you have? I got this little thing which basically only gives me enough space for the computer, monitor(s), keyboard, and mouse.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07J55MJQ3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I mainly got this so I could use it anywhere I wanted. I didn't really consider being able to store it in a closet but mainly because I don't have any closets with sufficient vacant space to store it.

However, I ended up going on an insane upgrade spree and almost immediately I felt included wheels were pretty dinky so they were the first things to go. I got these but anything with a M8x1.25 thread should work although I would highly recommend using washers to not tear the nuts out of the frame.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B089SMN7Y8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Of course my next problem was that the platform that the monitors and stuff sitting on it adds a ton of weight that makes height adjustment unfeasible. As a result, I have the height locked for a standing position and I have a stool that can work at that height. However, that means it's not usable if I move it somewhere that has seats at a more normal height unless I want to take the stool with me. So in the end, the desk never moved.

Also, running an extra long extension cord whenever I wanted to move it around got really cumbersome so, again, it never moved.

For the latter problem, I just bought a battery pack with a built-in inverter that can last at least a whole workday so I can now move it around without worrying about the power cord. The battery pack can also double as an emergency generator during a power outage. For the former problem, I rigged this poo poo together.

Yes that is a 1.5 ton capacity scissor jack meant to lift cars on some janky brackets that is supporting the weight of the main desk space and can raise and lower it. I only just put it together but it works surprisingly well and manages to stay aligned and level while raising and lowering the jack. I wish it didn't take so many rotations to raise and lower it (I know it's probably like that to give you enough mechanical advantage to lift a car) but at least I can do it now without struggling. That said, I do not recommend this particular upgrade because the jack, parts, and material came out to an obscene amount. At the very least, I could have saved some money selecting more cost effective materials and a cheaper store for the bracket and support. All of it came from Lowes so I definitely overpaid for the material but I wanted to put together something quick as a functional proof of concept.

this is cool as gently caress imo. i would never, but bravo

Withnail posted:

I'm legit getting depressed where this thread is going

isnt this the same thread that outed a bigtime eve player as an overwatch r34 artist?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

that rocks but still doesn't dethrone the EVE Online Lord / Overwatch r34 artist setup that casts a long shadow over this thread

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

behold,

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2920891&userid=212250

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

i emitted an actual laugh

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I think it looks cool, but actually sitting there and using it would probably be a nightmare as lighting changed. It also precludes a deskpad, which is about the biggest improvement any setup can havea.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

Are these worth it? I've never needed one, but I asked for one for Christmas, mainly because my kid is like one day away from damaging my desktop surface somehow.

edit: He sawed into my old one with a metal comb. :confuoot:

I'd rather have a $50 mouse and a $10 deskpad than a $100 mouse.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

you can also get huge deskpads from AliExpress but it's a big gamble on their quality.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I'm not really into cats but that cat looks like it belongs in some ye olde painting or a book describing cats as a concept.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Three Olives posted:

No, that is where I forced my husband to put anything that did not represent our aesthetic.

brown

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

weird thing to bump the thread about, but going back to the first dozen pages is amazing; there's square monitors, polycarb macbooks, all sorts of silver era charm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

Like a lot of people, I don’t have a traditional computer tower these days but the desk I just bought (as it was the most suitable one for the space) has a section dedicated for one. I’m struggling to think of what to put in there. Any good ideas?

computer tower