Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Lilleput posted:

This looks like something you'd see in a fancy furniture shop. Well done.
Yeah, all that stuff looks like Ikea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Centipeed posted:

This isn't particularly relevant, but I found out recently that Facebook employs 3,200 people full time.

http://sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1326801/000119312512034517/d287954ds1.htm

I have no idea what all of those people are doing, but I can't imagine that many are really needed.
I imagine most of them are QA.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

stop, or my mom will post posted:

30" ACD
lovely Logitech KB/Mouse/Speakers
Mouse looks alright. Keyboard is marginal. Get yourself some Pro Medias or something. The ACD is being disrespected. :colbert:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Dominoes posted:

The Desktop icon layout looks circa 1995. He's even got an AIM icon. I'm surprised there aren't icons for Netscape Communicator, Network Neighborhood and My Briefcase.
I don't understand what's wrong with the desktop icon layout. I have a shitload of icons on my desktop, though I don't have an anime wallpaper to work around.

And lots of people still use AIM the application. You'd be surprised.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Dominoes posted:

Applications on the desktop are a holdover from old version of Windows that didn't have the more elegant options modern operating systems use - hence seeing a computer setup like that gives me a 90s vibe.
I've been using Win7 since the RC and I still have application shortcuts on the desktop. It doesn't clutter the taskbar and is faster than launching from the start menu.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Centipeed posted:

Bit of a strange request, maybe, but I'm looking for the smallest full-sized keyboard I can buy.

Right now I've got the Microsoft Wired 600, which is 17.9" by 6.28", but it's a budget keyboard. I recently upgraded my mouse to a higher model, so it'd be nice to type on something that isn't so cheap as well.

Here's the keyboard I've got:

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-gb/p/wired-keyboard-600/ANB-00006

You can see what I mean by "full" - it doesn't make any concessions for space. All of the keys are there, and they're all full size.
I don't see how you end up with a noticeable smaller keyboard unless you give up the numpad or go with a laptop style 88-key keyboard.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I figured this would be the best place to ask, so can anyone recommend a good computer chair for $100? My current chair is amazing: mesh back, adjustable headrest, back tilts independently from seat, but it's 8 years old and the height adjustment is shot, so it's stuck at the lowest height which is a few inches too short for my current desk.

The reason I don't just get a $70 task chair from Staples is because I consume a lot of media on my home PC, so comfort for extended sessions is important. I'm not comfortable spending $200 on a chair because I'll be finishing grad school in a year and I have no idea what kind of home office environment I'll have afterwards. However, if there's a great chair for a great price, I'd be willing to pay for quality and just deal with moving another piece of furniture. I'd also be willing to wait since my old chair is still serviceable, albeit barely.

I remember about 10 years ago, Walmart sold $60 high back chairs. Is there anything similar these days? I'd be okay with buying locally or from Amazon. For reference, I'm 6' tall.

edit: v We do have a Sam's Club and Costco reasonably nearby. I was thinking, maybe the cheaper solution would be to somehow raise myself by about 3". I could buy a bunch of those plastic mat thingies; maybe Ikea sells them cheaply.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jun 12, 2012

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

thelightguy posted:

A giant glowing white apple and Steve Jobs framed magazines? So cliche. My tech fanboyism is a bit more discreet.

Do you ever use the Touchpad? I tried to get in on the firesale last year to no avail.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

GreatGreen posted:

I have a pair of those and they sound really great. They're far and away the best "specifically made for PC" speakers I've ever heard. Very clear and smooth, with a lot of punch, and they get plenty loud for what they are.

The sub can be a tiny bit boomy if it gets too loud, but if you turn it down just a hair from the recommended setting it's very easily tamed and sounds great.

You're probably have to start looking at professional studio monitors if you wanted better sound quality in an even remotely similarly sized package.
Just wait till the M-Audio and Swann fans come out of the woodwork.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Xovaan posted:

Still getting the hang of this minimalism thing. :ohdear:

That doesn't look like minimalism as much as a clean desk.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Tedronai66 posted:

Better/cheaper than Velcro ties if you need a lot: Velcro rolls at Walmart or wherever, right next to the ties. Usually get 3-6 feet, just cut to length.
How do you attach the velcro to the table? I have a glass desk in the middle of my room so my cable situation is hard to hide. :nms:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

My understanding is that all adhesive backed velcro has adhesive on the backside hook and the loop strips, and that's clearly not what we want.

edited for clarity

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jan 18, 2013

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Dominoes posted:

I said my last picture would be a before/after for cable management. The plastic tubes and longer cables helped a lot.

Before:

After:

Isn't it sketchy to put your receiver on your sub?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

GreatGreen posted:

I'm sure there's a basement-dwelling goon in all of us that thinks that desk is totally super rad, but I cannot fathom even in the darkest depths of my imagination how embarrassing it would be if I had one and any non-goon learned of its existence in my home.

I couldn't mentally legitimize that thing if I walked into the office of a Fortune 500 CEO and saw one in the corner.

It's like the ceramic dragon-and-wizard statue of desks.
Agreed. There's literally no reason to buy that instead of a $1000 table, $1000 chair, and $500 monitor arms.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Duck and Cover posted:

So much space to use.

Is the dark part in the front the inside of the wood?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

IUG posted:

That's the worst banana holder I've ever saw!
I've actually wondered why people would use a "real" headphone stand like above instead of a banana holder when the headphone stand compresses the earcup padding.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

sadnessboner posted:

How dare you besmirch my 2408WFP
1650x1080 is the desktop version of 1366x768

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Xik posted:

Holy poo poo son, what's going on with that monitor. Got a link to specs?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnrxNfxRK_4

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The Lord Bude posted:

Speaker position is important. I use a tape measure to ensure my speakers form a perfect equilateral triangle with my seating position.
Pfft, just buy yourself some $500 Sennheiser headphones. That's what I did. :colbert:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Unless you have motor control of a baby or are Michael J. Fox, there's no excuse for getting crumbs and beer in your keyboard.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Methanar posted:

Does anyone else really regret buying a case with a side window?
Side windows were cool in high school and to a lesser extent college, but I actively don't want one in any computer going forward.

It's also possible they were the result of the late 90s/early 00s zeitgeist and their time has simply come and gone.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

$500 :aaa:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Gladiator-72-in-W-x-25-in-D-Maple-Top-Adjustable-Height-Workbench-GAWB06MTZG/204246902

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Nitrousoxide posted:

Finally got a motorized sit/stand desk and its super nice.

That speaker setup :barf:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Varg posted:

heh yeah I'm considering moving the computer to the floor on the right under the pullout section of desk so I can space them better, only got that setup last week. It hasn't bothered me much though.. yet
Get better ears Helen Keller.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

mcbexx posted:

Don't be, Logitech's G400s is a worthy successor.
Ahem, G502 is the correct replacement for the MX518.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

That doesn't seem thermally optimal for the MacBook.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

AEMINAL posted:

You again? What the gently caress
Don't quote him you noob

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I always turn on night shift on my iPhone at night because the normal color temp is too harsh

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

HP Artsandcrafts posted:

When I got back into pc gaming, I really got back into pc gaming.

Is that an NZXT HSF? The case is a Phanteks so... ?

Are those speakers any good? Are they wireless with that antenna on the left one?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I have 2x27" monitors and they're facing away from the bedroom window so I can actually see what's going on in the outside world.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Just lol if you don't just buy a giant Fry's branded mousepad for $3

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Your iPad is posing in that photo. Everyone knows that's not how it really is. :colbert:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

That's one way of keeping her in the kitchen :haw:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

How much did the desk end up costing?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I got a Blue Yeti on sale for $70 because I'm a tech whore

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

People talk about changing your monitor's height as if it's some simple task. I find desk-mounted arms don't elevate enough, and wall mounting is often not an option.

Getting right the chair/monitor height differential is pretty simple, but then the keyboard and mouse are too high. In other words, I have to raise my chair to basically maximum height for my arms to be in the proper relaxed/bent elbows position for keyboard and mouse use, but then my monitors are like 10" too low.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Etrips posted:

My Amazon Basics monitor arm can hold up my 34" Ultrawide monitor and can adjust vertically by 13 inches. :confused:
I forgot to mention the part about cost. I'm sure that arm is fine, but I'm not ready to drop $200 on arms for my dual monitors.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Aero glass was amazing and I’m pissed it’s not in Win10

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

landgrabber posted:

i will know i've successfully grown up when i buy an aeron for my home
I have an Aeron at work and while it's alright, I really wish it had a headrest so that I could properly recline in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

For a number of years, I've been using a tempered glass L desk, except I've just been using the 2 wings side by side to form sort of a long desk. The left side is for my personal dual monitor setup, and the right side is for dual monitor WFH. This photo is a bit outdated but gives a sense of the setup:

I was working on the right desk when this randomly happened today:

I have no idea how it happened, but I've had the desk for about 12 years and it's been through 3 moves in U-Hauls, so maybe there was a small chip or microfissure that decided today was a good day to die.

For a replacement, something with simple, clean lines would be ideal. I don't have a budget but <$300 would be nice. The combined length of both wings was ~80", depth ~24", desk surface height ~29". I don't think I need a single surface, as 2x40" would probably be cheaper and easier to move around. I also need to decide if I want to replace the WFH side since I'm worried its surface is also a ticking time bomb.

edit: This is probably a good stop gap for the time being: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/linnmon-tabletop-white-00251135

The default would be to go with the black-brown, but I'm intrigued by the white, though it might be a weird contrast with my walls.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Mar 1, 2022