Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I think this is as good a place as any to ask - I'm moving to a new place tomorrow. I've always had somewhat okay cable management under my desk but nothing special.

Since I'm taking everything apart anyways - what are some great products/solutions for cable management under the desk? I've seen some kind of like mesh tray or something from Ikea that people use, not sure if that's where it's at. I have one of those solid beech bigass Ikea tabletops that they don't make anymore so I can drill right into it - anything is possible. I have more cables than normal - have a sim rig that sits beside the desk etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

TheMadMilkman posted:

With hardwood floors, wood paneling, and sparse furnishings, that room probably has a pretty nasty echo.

This was my first thought even before reading the post and just seeing the photos. Trying to record music in there would be impossible without a rug if not some stuff on the walls also.

I just (like 3 days ago) moved into a place with a large living room, also hardwood and the area rug we found really really makes it a nicer place to be. Cat likes it a lot better too - provides her a place to brake or accelerate instead of just sliding around on the flooring.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Just moved to a new place that I actually own and will hopefully live in forever so wanted to do the best job of cable management possible since I won't be disassembling it much if ever anymore. Specifically because I have a work laptop on my desk that is attached to a monitor and a USB hub, and a sim racing rig beside it with a whole set of other inputs/cables, I end up with a ton of cables that are a huge pain in the rear end. I'll never have a desk without visible cables of some kind but I think I've gotten it nearly as good as possible without ordering extra long versions of cables IE the one that provides power to my router. I'm mostly happy that my cables are off the floor. Here's some products I found which I think are amazing, on Canadian amazon but I suspect the same things are on whatever your country's amazon is. I'll take a photo of my desk once I'm not uhhh in a meeting...

Big fuckoff power strip for under the desk
This has enough 'grip' on the sockets to easily hold heavy wall wart type plugs upside down and was easy to install. It's close to the back of my desk underneath. The spacing between sockets is massive so there's no blocking of sockets from neighbouring ones
------------------

Weird plastic pouch things you attach to the rear of the desk and shove cables into
I was super skeptical about these but hey they work pretty well and keeping stuff out of the way/unseen. Basically you could screw these into the rear of the desk but I ended up just using the provided 2 way tape after testing it. It's rock solid, used a couple of these and basically just route the cables into them and then up to wherever. Something I can see will be a headache though is that you essentially have to pull all the cables out of it to get to one if it's near the 'bottom'.
------------------

Cable sleeves
These things work so well up to around 5-6 thick cords. Kinda a pain to install but really make a huge difference. These ones I must say do have something on the inside of them that I can feel on my fingers after installing them but it's super slight and I don't feel that any of it would come off onto my cables or something. I bought a huge run of this, like 15 feet or something and I just cut off the pieces at the size I need. I'd buy this again if I needed more, the stuff on the inside is really barely there and nearly a nonissue.
------------------

Cable channeling for the walls
I have my router/server/etc up on a shelf above my desk and this channeling stuff helps keep all those cables clean. I also use it horizontally along the wall where my ethernet passthrough/source lives (my ISP provides signal right from ethernet to my router). I ended up just using a couple pieces of two way tape on each piece to secure them to the wall as that way I have a small hope of being able to remove them at some point with no wall damage (the other option is to use screws).

e: some photos of the setup:

You can still see the bundles of cables and a nerd's foot/sock from this angle:

If you have a solid wood desk you can do stuff like this:

The right monitor is on it's own stand so that it can be swung to the sim rig if I'm not doing VR racing.

Of course now looking at these photos I see that I can clean up the cabling on the right of the desk a little. I suppose you're never really done with this stuff.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 19:31 on May 16, 2022

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

When I purchased my Ikea Trotten, it was available with a natural or white top. I thought white might be a bit harsh and most of the promotional photos were natural top/black frame, so that's what I got:

In reality, "natural" was actually an ugly beige grey. White wasn't in stock to exchange, and I've kinda gotten used to the beige as nondescript (apologies for the cabling, still working on it):

That said, I still think the white would be nicer, and it's now back in stock. Any thoughts on whether I should make the switch? I plan on keeping the desk for at least 5 years:

Seeing as you don't particularly sound enamored even with the white version, maybe look at those stick-on desk vinyl stickers? Seems like that's already a veneer desk so it's not like you're committing some sin.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

cage-free egghead posted:

Sup Meshify C buddy.

It's actually a Meshify 2 XL (full size tower) but we're still very close buddies!

I needed the extra room for the water cooling requisite for my anti-talkback algos so I can use a mic and my speakers like that obviously.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 23:09 on May 16, 2022

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Unsinkabear posted:

What is that red and black artifact above your mouse?

Cable bungee for the mouse. Razer makes them too, probably everyone does at this point.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

You guys are gonna make these boys start furiously jacking their desks up to an appropriate level to defend their honor

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Yeah I think It's so you can see where all your money went but I don't get it either.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

The cat goes on the desk, non-mouse side so you can pet it.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Meshify 2 XL* ... Have a full custom loop in there and needed the space.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Gros Tarla posted:

Finally, after moving, finally got setup the way I like for my home office!

On the opposite side of the room it is my gaming desk. I find that separating the two really helps with having a different headspace after three years of WFH

I don't get it, how do you play games during meetings if it's on the other side of the room?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I don't think you have anything to worry about given the relative size of that base, and I really would use the whole clamp and not drill through the desk if you don't need to.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

anakha posted:

Sorry for the extremely delayed reply. Just forgot to check back on this thread.

Literally any USB switcher that can connect all your peripherals to both laptop and PC will suffice. I got a UGREEN USB 3.0 switcher like this one for my keyboard, mouse and webcam, and you can pick whatever equivalent will work for you.

Just lemme know if you need help configuring the utility.

I use that same one and I'm extremely happy with it. Aside from maybe it being made of something nicer (aluminum instead of plastic) it's hard to imagine how it could be improved. I have my keyboard, mouse, webcam, and microphone on it and they all switch in about 1 second. By the time I've pressed the button and put my hand back on the keyboard/mouse it's switched. I have never had a device not switch properly with it.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Unsinkabear posted:

Has anyone lost their minds and gone with the full 72" husky workbench as a desk yet? I'm tempted because it will physically fit in my space, but I'm worried it will visually be too much

I googled this and it looks like it's only 24" deep - wouldn't you want a deeper desktop if you're willing to put something like that in your space anyways? My ikea desk is 29 3/4" deep and I really value that extra space.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

ThePopeOfFun posted:

Husky 72" desk is here an in-use. Once I find some cable management I like I will post pics.

I have seen some microphone + arm combos. Looks like Blue Snowballs in black, plus boom arm?

Yeah that's the right combo. Make sure you get a pop filter if you're already getting a boom.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

High End Leather Design

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I grabbed a Leap from a failed startup, good investment (from a bad investment).

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Unsinkabear posted:

How'd you find it?

Craigslist I think. It was probably close to 8 years ago and it still looks new. Quite happy with it though it lacks the Aeron wow factor.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Inner Light posted:

I hate using a mouse without a deskpad / mousepad. Sign of a weak willed person.

You're joking probably but when I see this it does speak to a lack of commitment to the task or something. I think most people who proudly proclaim to not need/want a Pad are the same people who are super proud about always putting their wallet in their front pocket or something.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

runawayturtles posted:

Is there... something wrong with putting your wallet in your front pocket?

The Lord Bude posted:

I would never use a mouse without a mousepad; but I would also never put my wallet in my back pocket and I can’t for the life of me understand why people do. It’s the easiest place for a pickpocket to grab it without you realising (not that I live anywhere where that might be an issue); it’s the hardest pocket to reach comfortably, it’s more likely to create a silly unsightly bulge, it damages your credit cards, and you have to have a bloody wallet poking you in the rear end every time you sit down.

the only thing worse would be the deeply perverted individuals who keep their smartphone in their back pocket.

You ever see a wallet chain go to the front? Exactly!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Smythe posted:

lan parties were cool

The best of times the worst of times

Left my favorite jacket in a different country when I met up with my counterstrike team in ?2002 or something

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Smythe posted:

Nice to think some weirdo foreign guy still be enjoying it somewhere :angel:

Ok Comboomer posted:

ah yes, you like? Zis is my counterstrike jacket

I got it from an American

The funniest poo poo about this is that I'm Canadian and I left it in the states so it's an American saying that~

I actually see some of those people online on steam sometimes just playing whatever game and it's crazy. This is like people I started playing with immediately after steam came out, like that week.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Professor Wayne posted:

Speaking of filling up empty space, I've been tweaking my WFH setup over the holidays. I replaced my old speakers this week, and I think I'm done for a while. I'm really happy with it, other than the top TV obviously being overkill. I tried to justify it as a TV for guests to use when they crash on the sleeper sofa across the room. But literally every guest has opted to sleep on the main living room sofa. Maybe I'll work on replacing that TV for something more manageable when I feel like a new project. And most importantly, my plant is loving life!

Does that mic boom retract? Great looking setup btw.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Figured this would be a good thread to ask. Can you get like 4 motorized legs and a control module to retrofit to an existing desk? If not, what are some good budget options for a motorized standing/sitting desk? Thanks, in Canada if that matters.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Thanks! Yeah I was just thinking 4 legs because the desk has 4 legs now, it doesn't need to be 4 legs and those solutions would work fine.

Cheers!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Hugely, hugely happy with my govvee flow bars behind my monitor.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Inept posted:

Get a low profile mic arm imo

What is a low profile mic arm? I also hate mine.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

-New desktop: Fractal North, Ryzen 7900X, 32GB DDR5, WD SN850X 2TB, Corsair RM850x, probably keeping my 1070 until it dies bc the GPU market is a shitshow.
-UGREEN USB 3.0 switch so I'm not juggling 2 sets of keyboards and mice for work laptop vs personal desktop. This one came to my attention for sponsoring a Linus Tech Tips video lol.
-Put up some 300mm silicon wafers as wall art from my time as an electrical engineer
-Got my first mouse mat. This has a time zone world map which is both useful and should hide wear/stains.

Still need to figure out cable management. I could attach a J channel to the underside of my desk but I don't want to commit until I've made a decision about monitor arms since it could interfere with how I mount the arm(s).

Someone left some Klipsch KG1.2 speakers from the early 90s in the freebie area of my building. They sound good though not noticeably better than my current Klipsch satellites, and I have no idea where I would put them and they're kinda overkill for a desktop.

I think the GPU situation is resolved, haven't they been selling at basically MSRP for about six months? You might be able to pick something up at a good price. At this point I'd almost wait for the 50xx cards though I guess.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

knox posted:

Splurged at Microcenter today and got two ASUS monitors & the PowerSpec desktop with 4070. Super happy with the Fezibo L-Shaped electric standing desk, working from home these last 2 years has taken a toll. I think being able to now stand up whenever I want to and raise the desk will help a lot.
This is the setup I'm trying out first, my work laptop on the right with a monitor they gave me. I didn't really want to use the work laptop on the same monitors as the desktop. I might switch the vertical ASUS to the right side of the main monitor as well.

I worked from home last year with a work laptop, I highly recommend using a monitor splitter (with a button you press to decide if signal to monitor is from your PC or laptop) to get signal from the laptop to the monitors, and to use a USB switch so that you can use your keyboard and mouse to connect to the desktop. These were massive improvements for me.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

rickiep00h posted:

Really dig all those changes. As much as I love burgundy/maroon it's usually a terrible color for carpet.

Reminds me of my 87 Supra tho

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Yeah my place has that type of ceiling and I never even notice it.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I am getting extremely fed up with the tiny little attachable gutter things that I'm currently using on the back edge of my desk for cable management. What are some good alternatives? I would prefer they don't hang down too far under the desk as I'm a bit tall and my knees would hit it. Is the ikea metal grille tray thing the most reasonable option? Thanks!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Ok Comboomer posted:

the least expensive/most minimalist example is to get some screw-in hooks and some Velcro ties

I don't mind spending actually quite a lot of money on a solution that is very good!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

a dingus posted:

Anyone have recs for a desk mounted gas arm? I have a 34" ultra wide and a 27" portrait monitor. I saw someone recommended the Amazon basics gas arm but it looks like it's been discontinued. The wall mounted arms look nice but it would t work with my adjustable desk.

I use this one to hold my 32" and 27" both landscape, works just fine. I paid 110 CAD (this is a Canadian Amazon link) so looks like the price has come up some:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0834JH3P1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

a dingus posted:

Thanks! I'll check and see if the US store has a single mount style.

Sorry why would you need a single mount? I thought you had two monitors? Is it the ultrawide?

Honestly I would just get anything that's a good price that's rated for the weight of your monitor. I own like 3 different products like this and they're all basically the same.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

Like a lot of people, I don’t have a traditional computer tower these days but the desk I just bought (as it was the most suitable one for the space) has a section dedicated for one. I’m struggling to think of what to put in there. Any good ideas?

Plants or a few stacked narrow containers with lids for PC hardware stuff.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Ornery and Hornery posted:

tryna decide between monitor arms and a desk shelf

Kind like the shelf for organization

There absolutely no question that arms are better, you can get the monitor exactly where you want it and can also put a shelf under if you wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

TenementFunster posted:

you are a canadian among canadians, as i would be calling this guy the r word the second i got the chair in my car. what a complete loving moron. every aspiring “streamer” should be put to the sword. twitch treblinka now.

Same same fellow Canadians that guy is a moron let him get his stupid little idiot chair for babies.

My Steelcase leap came from a business that failed, I went to pick it up from their empty office and I must not have looked sad enough about his business failing because buddy said something like 'I guess my loss is your gain'. Yep!

e: ttv velocibacon ty for the bits chat