Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Harry Totterbottom posted:

Velcro ties

This is the pro answer, way better than zip ties because you can readjust with ease.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

If you want tons of easy cheapshit IKEA racks:

http://wiki.eth-0.nl/index.php/LackRack

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

kri kri posted:

I want to make a monitor stand like the ikea one posted earlier, but I only want it an inch or two off the desk. Can anyone think of a creative idea for me?

When I was in college, I used two bricks and a plank of wood. You could probably make something look nicer with a little bit of money or effort.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

macquariums own

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Regarding all this Nook Color comic-chat, I found it to be much easier to read once I switched to a nicer image smoothing filter in Perfect Viewer.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

BoyBlunder posted:

Any recommendations for under desk cable management? I have a bunch of power adapters coming up from a UPS to devices on my desk and right now everything looks pretty messy.

Cable tie mounts. They're little sticky-backed plastic squares that you can stick wherever and gives you a place to zip tie or Velcro wrap cables to.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Photex posted:

as someone who was forced to WFH, If you're ever feeling just a little drained about your setup like I have, I was very surprised how much of a mood lift it is to just get a new mouse pad and adding a color temp bulb to a desk lamp.

What do you call that little stand/riser your lamp is sitting on? That’s pretty much exactly what I need but the term escapes me.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

The stuff you want for an application like a power strip is called “dual-lock” and isn’t the same as soft fuzzy velcro. It rules, I use it for guitar pedalboards.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Those things are usually called cable tie mounts or sometimes tie wrap blocks. I've used them before in industrial manufacturing settings. I learned about them from a coworker who used them in automotive racing applications, they're strong as gently caress.

fake edit: As an aside, you can get zip ties for just about any load under the sun. There are stainless steel zip ties that have been used to hold together 400lb car exhausts.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Beverly Cleavage posted:

I've been wfh for the past 6 years, but never had a dedicated office. That's finally changed. Moved to a new house, and had to get the office setup. It's still pretty sparse/messy, but at least I can get back to work with a new desk.
Locally sourced ash top (72x35) and workstream dual motor legs. Loving it.

How do you like your mic boom arm setup? I'm on the verge of purchasing one but have no clue what's good or bad, or what to look for. Does it reach adequately over your monitor?

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Ok Comboomer posted:

why is your husband’s employer important to this story?

i think the husband and the AT&T employee are two separate people, the only people who have been in that room

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Edmond Dantes posted:

This is pretty much what I've come up with so far; I'm open to any and all suggestions.

Side question: how did you generate these layouts? I might want to go through a similar exercise with my own workspace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Yeast posted:

Eventually I think I'll get a single 32" display, and maybe replace the hue play things with a single light strip.

But for now its working pretty well.

What riser is that? I'd like to kick my monitor up by an inch or two and reclaim some of the space underneath, that looks right up my alley.