Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

No. IIRC the jetpacker/rocketer looked like a human. And at least the levels I got to had you moving from shelf to shelf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

MegaZeroX posted:

I'm looking for a game I played as a kid in the early to mid 2000s. It was a platformer where you controlled someone using a jetpack (or rocket, I don't remember), and was on PC. It was probably a flash game, but I'm not sure. I remember finding it hard, but that may be because I was a kid. IIRC you could only use the jetpack/rocket to move, and couldn't walk, but that may be wrong.
Emulated JetPac?

http://torinak.com/qaop#!jetpac

https://www.classicgamesarcade.com/game/21663/jetpac-spectrum-game.html

Splicer fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Dec 11, 2019

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Nope. Someone suggested that earlier.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Super Mario Bros.?

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Okay, this is this old game that I remember playing as a kid.

Basically you pick a boy or girl and you have to walk around to find pieces out armor to battle a dragon.

Apparently, most of the enemies were rabbits that would eat you, and you had to escape by running to the bottom of the screen if you got eaten.

The end game was you would control this suit of armor via arrows you would stand on, navigating around birds with bells attached on them. You would have to use the keys to open the gate and finally battle the dragon.

Kid me always got catch by the birds. This ring a "bell" for anyone?

Not sure if this was DOS or Apple.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

MegaZeroX posted:

Was it for sure PC? Kind of sounds like Harley's Humongous Adventure but that was SNES

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

RadicalR posted:

Okay, this is this old game that I remember playing as a kid.

Basically you pick a boy or girl and you have to walk around to find pieces out armor to battle a dragon.

Apparently, most of the enemies were rabbits that would eat you, and you had to escape by running to the bottom of the screen if you got eaten.

The end game was you would control this suit of armor via arrows you would stand on, navigating around birds with bells attached on them. You would have to use the keys to open the gate and finally battle the dragon.

Kid me always got catch by the birds. This ring a "bell" for anyone?

Not sure if this was DOS or Apple.

Think Quick

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

MegaZeroX posted:

That was jetpack, this is jetpac :v:

Though I saw you posted more detail that didn't match up so never mind

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Retro Futurist posted:

Was it for sure PC? Kind of sounds like Harley's Humongous Adventure but that was SNES

Yes, it was on PC. It wasn't Harley's Humngous Adventure, but it had a similar thing with fuel, but you would die if you fell at all. I don't remember if there were things that attacked you or if you could attack them. I feel like at least here was no attacking them back, but I'm not sure. If you lost all your fuel, you would have to die since you couldn't complete the level.

Also, the graphics weren't very pixely, as I recall. The game certainly didn't look like it was made in the 90s.

Edit: It would have been played on Windows XP, and probably through a browser, though I can't say for sure that it was browser based and not installed

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Dec 12, 2019

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Here are some mac games for kids I played in the 90s.

One let you create scenes by dragging various characters on to a back drop and then when you pressed play they'd perform various animations and interact with each other. Kind of like The Incredible Machine minus the machine part. The two themes I can remember were cavemen/dinosaurs and the moon/aliens.

Another one was a kid friendly minigame collection. The only game I really remember in much detail was yet another scene creator where you picked a subject, a verb, and a setting from lists. Then a funny voice would narrate "My favorite teacher, eats pickles, during an eclipse".

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Mzbundifund posted:

Think Quick

I think this is it! Holy poo poo, thank you!

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

The Moon Monster posted:

Another one was a kid friendly minigame collection. The only game I really remember in much detail was yet another scene creator where you picked a subject, a verb, and a setting from lists. Then a funny voice would narrate "My favorite teacher, eats pickles, during an eclipse".

I don't remember this minigame specifically, but it's likely this is one of the Thinkin' Things collections.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Mzbundifund posted:

Think Quick

That was quick!

Twilkitri
Feb 23, 2013

The Moon Monster posted:

Could be The Treehouse. This video doesn't have the voices but I recall it having them.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
I'm trying to find a PC game I played at a friend's house sometime in the early 2000s. It was a 3D third-person action game, definitely polygons but nothing too impressive for the time. You had to fight through cops and/or criminals in a modern-day city setting, the stages were linear and arcade-y but there probably was some kind of story and sequence to them. You had multiple characters to choose from, and the enemies dropped weapons (batons, handguns, etc.) you could pick up during the stages. I remember my favourite being a big muscly guy who could hold a rocket launcher on one arm. I think it may have even had local co-op? I also think it was released as part of one of those budget/platinum series (I remember the CD/DVD case having a generic frame around the cover picture itself), but I can't remember which.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Twilkitri posted:

Could be The Treehouse. This video doesn't have the voices but I recall it having them.

Wow, I totally forgot the player characters were opossums.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Forktoss posted:

I'm trying to find a PC game I played at a friend's house sometime in the early 2000s. It was a 3D third-person action game, definitely polygons but nothing too impressive for the time. You had to fight through cops and/or criminals in a modern-day city setting, the stages were linear and arcade-y but there probably was some kind of story and sequence to them. You had multiple characters to choose from, and the enemies dropped weapons (batons, handguns, etc.) you could pick up during the stages. I remember my favourite being a big muscly guy who could hold a rocket launcher on one arm. I think it may have even had local co-op? I also think it was released as part of one of those budget/platinum series (I remember the CD/DVD case having a generic frame around the cover picture itself), but I can't remember which.

Sounds like Fighting Force 1/2, or maybe Urban Chaos?

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Oh wow, Fighting Force it is! Thanks!

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Twilkitri posted:

The Moon Monster posted:

Wow, I totally forgot the player characters were opossums.

I could swear when I was a kid that when you had The Treehouse, The Backyard, and the Playroom all installed on your computer you could actually move between all three hubs.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

This one's going to be a long shot, but I'm looking for a book with a game in it. It was one of these "Learn to program in BASIC by writing a game" books for 8-bit computers in the 80s, geared toward children. There was only one game in the whole book and as you progressed through the chapters you'd flesh out the game while learning different aspects of the language.

The game that you ended up programming was set on Mars and you explored a grid-based world that was randomly generated, looking for treasures and avoiding monsters. I think you had to find food and water to make sure you didn't die of hunger or thirst, too. The one thing I distinctly remember is that there was one monster that was totally harmless and said "Gibble!" when you met it.

I'm hoping this was actually a thing instead of some fever dream but I haven't been able to find anything about it at all.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Genpei Turtle posted:

This one's going to be a long shot, but I'm looking for a book with a game in it. It was one of these "Learn to program in BASIC by writing a game" books for 8-bit computers in the 80s, geared toward children. There was only one game in the whole book and as you progressed through the chapters you'd flesh out the game while learning different aspects of the language.

The game that you ended up programming was set on Mars and you explored a grid-based world that was randomly generated, looking for treasures and avoiding monsters. I think you had to find food and water to make sure you didn't die of hunger or thirst, too. The one thing I distinctly remember is that there was one monster that was totally harmless and said "Gibble!" when you met it.

I'm hoping this was actually a thing instead of some fever dream but I haven't been able to find anything about it at all.

JLsoft suggested this one when I asked him: https://www.mocagh.org/softguide/goldenflutes-book.pdf

It has folks progressively building on the idea of adventure games, coming up to page 73 where the Marsquake features are implemented - random, grid-based world, monsters, weird stuff.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Snackmar posted:

JLsoft suggested this one when I asked him: https://www.mocagh.org/softguide/goldenflutes-book.pdf

It has folks progressively building on the idea of adventure games, coming up to page 73 where the Marsquake features are implemented - random, grid-based world, monsters, weird stuff.

Holy poo poo this is absolutely it. I remember that cover too. Thanks! I've been looking for this for a long time!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Japanese only release. Ps1 game about high school kids except they’re all mech pilots. You socialize with the other pilots to improve their skills then go on missions. 3D game, not a visual novel, and the classroom scenes were Persona-like.

It got a short OVA adaption around 1999. It had a soft 80s look to it kind of like War in the Pocket.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

al-azad posted:

Japanese only release. Ps1 game about high school kids except they’re all mech pilots. You socialize with the other pilots to improve their skills then go on missions. 3D game, not a visual novel, and the classroom scenes were Persona-like.

It got a short OVA adaption around 1999. It had a soft 80s look to it kind of like War in the Pocket.

Love and Destroy?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Love and Destroy?

No, this was a strategy game but I can't remember if it was real time or turn based. The battle screen was an abstraction, like a war room satellite projection but then it would cut to in-game 3D graphics. The mech design and monsters reminded me a lot of Blue Gender which came out around the same time.

What made me think of it was VanillaWare's 13 Sentinels which is also a strategy game about high schoolers fighting aliens/monsters in giant robots and the map screen is this abstract satellite projection. VanillaWare borrows a lot from their inspirations and it immediately triggered this memory of whatever PS1 game this is.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

al-azad posted:

No, this was a strategy game but I can't remember if it was real time or turn based. The battle screen was an abstraction, like a war room satellite projection but then it would cut to in-game 3D graphics. The mech design and monsters reminded me a lot of Blue Gender which came out around the same time.

What made me think of it was VanillaWare's 13 Sentinels which is also a strategy game about high schoolers fighting aliens/monsters in giant robots and the map screen is this abstract satellite projection. VanillaWare borrows a lot from their inspirations and it immediately triggered this memory of whatever PS1 game this is.

It doesn't quite tick all the boxes but Gate Keepers?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Pablo Nergigante posted:

It doesn't quite tick all the boxes but Gate Keepers?

No but looking up Gate Keepers the plot is almost identical to the one I'm thinking of which takes place in an alternate history where aliens invaded earth post-WW2. I think I only watched one episode of the anime series which cut back and forth between bright, colorful high school antics (everyone wore white uniforms) and dark and gritty mech combat.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
This was an edutainment game I played on my school's computer in the mid 90s. All I can remember is that I think you had to collect dog biscuits in order to advance to the next level, which was accessed by going down a manhole that was otherwise blocked off. I think it was procedurally generated and had kind of a Toe Jam and Earl type gameplay. You might have solved math problems somewhere in there. The one thing I distinctly remember there being a lady who talks to the player over the phone and uses the phrase, "Ciao! Puppy chow!".

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Tempura Wizard posted:

This was an edutainment game I played on my school's computer in the mid 90s. All I can remember is that I think you had to collect dog biscuits in order to advance to the next level, which was accessed by going down a manhole that was otherwise blocked off. I think it was procedurally generated and had kind of a Toe Jam and Earl type gameplay. You might have solved math problems somewhere in there. The one thing I distinctly remember there being a lady who talks to the player over the phone and uses the phrase, "Ciao! Puppy chow!".

Troggle Trouble Math

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-NAVhjIS9k

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

drat, that's it! Amazing.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

al-azad posted:

No but looking up Gate Keepers the plot is almost identical to the one I'm thinking of which takes place in an alternate history where aliens invaded earth post-WW2. I think I only watched one episode of the anime series which cut back and forth between bright, colorful high school antics (everyone wore white uniforms) and dark and gritty mech combat.

Okay it HAS to be this one... aliens invading post WWII, white uniforms, high school VN elements, abstracted battle planning screens that transition to 3D, mechs, anime adaptation...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunparade_March

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZA8Vwrtkpk&t=745s

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Yep!

I can't believe Gunparade March has had two anime adaptions and a manga that were all localized in English, four games published by Sony, and it looks Persona as hell and yet it doesn't even have an entry in Mobygames or HG101. Slackers.

Maybe George Kamitani is banking on people forgetting it because if I didn't know better I would confuse 13 Sentinels as being an official reboot.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Dec 17, 2019

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

al-azad posted:

I can't believe Gunparade March has had two anime adaptions and a manga that were all localized in English, four games published by Sony, and it looks Persona as hell and yet it doesn't even have an entry in Mobygames or HG101. Slackers.

Yeah that's why it took me so long to figure it out. I ended up just googling non-VN games with VN elements and I found an old NeoGAF thread and looked at all the games mentioned until I found one that looked like a match.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I'm having a tough time finding this game I had as a kid on an old DOS PC.

It was a very primitive Mechwarrior/Battletech TYPE of game, but I am like 90% sure it's not actually affiliated with that franchise.

It all took place in a small 3D arena, and was just 1v1 against an AI robot (I think it had primitive online/LAN tech to play against another person, but I can't recall.)

It had very simple polygon graphics (no textures, just solid colors), which is still impressive considering it ran on an old 3x86 with 4 MB of RAM, no video card.

You started the game with a very basic mech "shell" and X amount of dollars you used to upgrade it, and there were several weapons to choose from like lasers, autocannons, missiles, etc... as well as upgrades for the armor, reactor, and whatnot. As you won matches, you got more money to get better upgrades, and I think even better "blank" mechs that had more slots for weapons and could carry heavier armor and whatnot.

I remember the start of each match would have a floating "referee" bot that came down, counted down from 3 to 1, and then flew back up and you were the face to face with the opponent. Most matches were actually over pretty quick because, surprise surprise, when you start fain the other guy the best strat. is to just open fire with every weapon at once and hope to blow him up before he runs away.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

DrBouvenstein posted:

It was a very primitive Mechwarrior/Battletech TYPE of game, but I am like 90% sure it's not actually affiliated with that franchise.

It all took place in a small 3D arena, and was just 1v1 against an AI robot (I think it had primitive online/LAN tech to play against another person, but I can't recall.)

It had very simple polygon graphics (no textures, just solid colors), which is still impressive considering it ran on an old 3x86 with 4 MB of RAM, no video card.

You started the game with a very basic mech "shell" and X amount of dollars you used to upgrade it, and there were several weapons to choose from like lasers, autocannons, missiles, etc... as well as upgrades for the armor, reactor, and whatnot. As you won matches, you got more money to get better upgrades, and I think even better "blank" mechs that had more slots for weapons and could carry heavier armor and whatnot.

I remember the start of each match would have a floating "referee" bot that came down, counted down from 3 to 1, and then flew back up and you were the face to face with the opponent. Most matches were actually over pretty quick because, surprise surprise, when you start fain the other guy the best strat. is to just open fire with every weapon at once and hope to blow him up before he runs away.

This sounds a lot like Metaltech: Battledrome, which I had on a 386. It wasn't completely untextured though.

Quote-Unquote fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Dec 18, 2019

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008

DrBouvenstein posted:

That sounds like Metaltech: Battledrome

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metaltech:_Battledrome

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Quote-Unquote posted:

This sounds a lot like Metaltech: Battledrome, which I had on a 386. It wasn't completely untextured though.

Yes, thank you, that's it. I remember that box art.

Fake edit:
Holy poo poo, I had no idea this game (more so the similar game, Metaltech: Earthsiege) was technically set in the Tribes universe?

quote:

Metaltech: Earthsiege is a mecha-style simulation video game developed by Dynamix and released in 1994. Earthsiege is the first in a long line of video games in the Earthsiege universe, which contains Earthsiege 2 (1996) and Metaltech: Battledrome (1994), as well as the strategy games MissionForce: CyberStorm (1996) and Cyberstorm 2: Corporate Wars (1998), direct sequel mecha-simulation Starsiege (1999), and first-person shooters Starsiege: Tribes (1998), Tribes 2 (2001), Tribes Aerial Assault (2002) Tribes: Vengeance (2004) and Tribes: Ascend (2012).

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

there was a weird 4-player arcade game that was like a 3rd person deathmatch kind of thing? maybe late 90s, early 2000s? grab guns and bombs and poo poo and blow up the other players? i remember having fun with it but i can't find it now

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Overwatch Porn posted:

there was a weird 4-player arcade game that was like a 3rd person deathmatch kind of thing? maybe late 90s, early 2000s? grab guns and bombs and poo poo and blow up the other players? i remember having fun with it but i can't find it now

Outtrigger?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outtrigger?wprov=sfla1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Overwatch Porn posted:

The Outfoxies?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lxapXSAijw

Gynovore fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Dec 19, 2019