Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Discount Viscount posted:

The second is a side-scrolling beat-em up or martial arts action game where the guy wore a purple or blue gi. He was super-deformed style and so were the enemies, I think. I remember very little about this except that the boxart for Mighty Final Fight for the NES sort of reminds me of it. He kind of looked like Guy.

Jackie Chan Action Kung Fu?

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/jackiechan/jackie2.htm (it's down the page a bit)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

thepopstalinist posted:

I played a game a long time ago. It was an adventure game, and I remember a few things about it -

- Came out in the early-mid 90's, I think.
- I seem to recall it having both FMV (for cutscenes and the like) and 3D models, but might have just been the latter
- It took place in a cyberpunk / sci-fi universe.
- There are two scenes I distinctly remember. In the first, the Player Character encounters a woman who attempts to seduce him. You can choose to give in or resist her. If you kiss her, her boyfriend (the heavy, apparently) calls security on you and they're now hostile to you. If you resist, things continue as normal. So I think it was a branching game.
- Second scene, the PC comes across a barrel filled with a black oily substance. Dipping your hand in it once, it seems harmless and you shake it off. But if you touch it twice, it kills you somehow.
- I believe there was rudimentary cover-based shooting portions (you hided behind cover and used the mouse / keyboard to guide your aiming reticule at someone shooting at you).

Anybody recall this game? Thanks in advance!

Rise of the Dragon?
http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/riseofthedragon/riseofthedragon.htm

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

BrQ posted:

There was this old game which was a wolfenstein 3d like shooter as far as I remember. You were in a house and there were zombies. In this house there were bookcases and sometimes you could press space and they'd reveal a secret passage.
Also on thing that stayed with me the most was this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYmIKcP7Nbc
This melody kept getting played during the game and it freaked me out. I am pretty sure it was almost exactly the same melody.

Sounds like Nitemare 3D:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjmAPbxC-iE

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

Schism. posted:

Looking for the name of an old PC game (not sure when it was made, but I was playing it around 1998 I think). I think it was like an old version of Spelunky. I remember there were a lot of ladders and I think you could use TNT to blow up blocks to get pieces of gold.

It'll be a miracle if anyone can remember this game from that information but you're my last hope, goons.

e: oh, and it's not the games mentioned in the 'influences' section of that wiki

Rick Dangerous?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3xOstyJcx0

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

Korbin posted:

I've been trying to remember a game I used to play on my family's old Tandy back in like 90-93. You flew a space ship and battled people in space. You could also land on planets and drive around in a tank like thing. I remember one planet reminded me of Hoth.

Sounds like Starflight. I'm pretty sure the first planet you can get to is a snow planet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starflight

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

Dr_Amazing posted:

This was a Super Nintendo game. Fantasy RPG, but it played more like D&D style rules that final fantasy and was complicated enough that I didn't really figure it out during the rental period. It had an interface similar to those old dungeon hack PC games. You had (created?) 4 characters and you had their portraits and inventories on the side of the screen, with the rest being a first person perspective of the dungeon.

The story had the party going into a dungeon or crypt and immediately being trapped by a cave in.

Might be Wizardry 5:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wizardry_V

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

Synnr posted:

Does anyone recall which of the megaman x games as a level where you are I guess moving through an island, and occasionally the background has windows which show the ocean and island? It is dumb but I grabbed a big collectors set and really want to play whichever game that was again!

You can try flipping through HERE, they have full maps of all of the X games.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

Hakkesshu posted:

Loaded or Reloaded?

You could only shoot in the direction you were traveling in those.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

Forgedbow posted:

That or Rogue Squadron, although I don't know if a 486 was up to scratch for that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78ywc79Iu5E

The N64 only had like 8MB of RAM w/ Expansion Pak, I'm sure an old Compaq would run it fine.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

Fake Plastic Trees posted:

It's old, it was a kind of maze game. You could get a pistol and there was a dinosaur that you could run into.
Maybe some other kind of monsters too.

I have no idea, I was like seven when i played it.

1st person or top-down?

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

excusemeprincess posted:

it was a lot like Abuse, but more pixelie, again a lot like the style of Out of this World. Low detail and very dark. Lots of Black/Grey/Reds in the atmosphere of the game.

Not Iji but closer to the graphical detail but not style of the game (if that makes sense)

I'm still googling stuff. If I end up figuring it out on my own I'll post it, but keep the suggestions coming. Someone is bound to know it.

edit: I'm pretty sure the thread was during 07 or 08.

I found this list when I was trying to remember Iji's title (that was 20 minute well spent). It might be worth a look:
http://vsrecommendedgames.wikia.com/wiki/Freeware_Games

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN
e:wrong tab

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

juliuspringle posted:

Please tell me that is on PSN because that looks amazing.

I bought a PS1 lightgun in 2005 just to play this game again.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN
Bayou Billy has the Golden Axe perspective and guys with whips, plus a truck driving level.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Dunno about the treasure, but Shining Force 2 has a female cleric with blue hair.

(EDIT holy poo poo the commentary on that page is atrocious. Just look at the character portraits)

Yeah, there's a Mithril chunk behind the tower.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

al-azad posted:

PC driving game from late 80s/early 90s. The objective was to drive across the states although I don't remember from which end to the other. I can't remember if it was first person or third but I'm leaning on first considering the crappy CGA graphics (I remember lots of blues and reds) and it's a DOS game that I owned on my Windows 3.1 computer. If you drove over the speed limit too long you would be ticketed by invisible police?

The one thing I concretely remember is that I believe it was a product placement game for a certain car manufacturer. It was definitely someone who made sports cars and convertibles and you could upgrade your car using money you earned over time. When you won you got a crappy cutscene that kind of reminded me of winning Outrun.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamborghini_American_Challenge ?

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

PantsBandit posted:

Do you know which demo disc had Intelligent Qube on it? I've been trying to find footage of the disc itself for nostalgia's sake.

It was on an early pack-in disc. I think Tekken 2 was there too.

e: I was thinking of Jampack Vol. 2

Pneub fucked around with this message at 00:30 on May 17, 2014

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

Tomahawk posted:

Okay, I'm trying to recall the name of a game I played in the 90s on what was probably a Macintosh Classic II. It was a color game and it was extremely similar to Maniac Mansion in that you were in a haunted house, but looking at Maniac Mansion screenshots it wasn't that. I really can't remember any specific details about it.

Hugo?

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/hugo/hugo.htm

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN
I swear I've seen the exact pose from that poster on the right on a title screen or cover art or something (the other one looks familiar to). Any ideas?

e: As in, they traced it from something.

Pneub fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Aug 8, 2014

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

Syjefroi posted:

2. I played this game probably on Sega Genesis, though it's possible I played it on NES. You mostly skateboard I think. The levels took place in a jungle type of area, maybe it was actually called under the canopy. The levels, I think, we're mostly vertical but with a good amount of horizontal travel. There may have been shortcuts. You may have been able to change your mode of travel to a raft or surf board periodically. This one has been bugging me for years and Google has been absolutely no help.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greendog:_The_Beached_Surfer_Dude! ?

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

I remember really liking a Mega Drive game as a kid. It as from a top-down perspective and I think you were free to roam around the map at will. I also seem to remember some sort of RPG elements, like upgrading weapons or stats maybe? You also played as one guy, not a plane or ship or anything else.

I've not had luck finding it because there were apparently a lot of games like that for the console.

Was it Zelda-y?

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

Neurion posted:

Was definitely none of these. I'm beginning to lean towards it being a PSX game. You played as a human, maybe in some kind of powered armor or combat suit.

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/bodyharvest/bodyharvest.htm

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

al-azad posted:

And number three of the most asked games right under Return Fire and Castle of the Wind. Funny how specific games that get no praise today are remembered so fondly from people's childhood.

Return Fire made it into EGM's "100 Best games of All Time" in issue #100*, and I think that's the only time I've ever heard it mentioned outside of this thread

*Before they wussed out and made their #200 list :airquote:for their time:airquote: so they wouldn't have to make any choices that might piss off bitter nerds.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

.TakaM posted:

Here's a tough one; It's a platformer, pretty sure it was on Genesis but it could be SNES, I think it might have been a Disney game too.
All I have to remember it by is that it had a really cool lighting effect in at least one level where it had two circle light sources over the player, one would light up the background tiles, and the other would light up the floor and I think it would even bend to match the floor.

If anyone remembers this game, I promise I'll think you're awesome

Not quite the same thing you're describing, but maybe Donkey Kong Country 2?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPaNj8o6dlw&t=1m

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

Freakazoid_ posted:

A late 80's or early 90's arcade game, similar in gameplay to Cabal but with some differences. My memory is fuzzy but the camera was definitely closer to the player. All I can recall really is a stage where you're inside an empty high rise firing at a terminator type robot. The pillars supporting the floors may or may not have been destructible.

Dynamite Duke?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jU-efY-FWDA&t=3m45s

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

Hakkesshu posted:

Maybe Nitemare 3D?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjmAPbxC-iE

The music fits at least.

Which hilariously came out the year after doom.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

Terebus posted:

The game I'm thinking of was an old platformer where you could choose between 3 different robot characters that had their own unique models. I believe they could transform. Some of them could hook upwards. It was pretty dark. I'll try to remember other details if anyone can help.

What does 'hook upwards' mean?

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

Cheez posted:

You're an ugly wizard.

I'm sick of all the goddamn wizard apologists making GBS threads up the game-remembering threads.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

No Gravitas posted:

But but but... I googled it so many times. What kind of query did you use to get it?

I just got it by searching with the text below:

"heart, dark heart" stage

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

Cake Attack posted:

I am very knowledgeable about eroges, if anyone has any further questions

I know this isn't the 'recommend me a game' thread, but

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN
What is this background music from? I'm fairly sure it's from a lovely licenced game, and 99.9% sure it's SNES.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

Shima Honnou posted:

Sounds very much like a Donkey Kong Country song. I can't place it though. I've never played DKC3 so it might be from that?

I'm definitely hearing the steel drums, but I don't remember it from DKC3 (I could be wrong).

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

Freakazoid_ posted:

I don't recall the roll cage looking like the GLOC/R360. It was black and more bare-bones than that.

Steel Talons and Starblade were spot on though.

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/galaxyforce/galaxyforce.htm ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRbDQnPpc-8

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

Halman posted:

This is gonna be a long shot because I really don't remember much about the game. It would have been around 91, I think. Sort of a side scrolling platformer/beat-em-up, and from what I remember the gimmick was that you were kind of a scrawny kid but had the ability to tansform into this beefy dude who I think had a lion's head or was wearing a lion skin or something. The transform was tied to a meter that would tick down. And I want to say everything had a kind of greco-roman theme to it but honestly have no clue.

I'm absolutely sure it wasn't altered beast. That's about all I'm sure of, because I was at my baby sitters house with a pretty high fever and the game/system belonged to her grandkids who were visiting, so I never saw it again.

Amagon?

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/amagon/amagon.htm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inIiQ8tZO5M&t=2m

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

1 800 J JAMES posted:

Hi, I've been bothering the old school pc rpg thread about an early 90s side-scrolling pc rpg that is most likely Zeliard. I remember playing Zeliard and it looks like it might be worth playing today.

I am trying to remember another, similar game that I swear is not Zeliard, but is still a side scrolling or single screen rpg from that era, so not any of the Wonder Boy games, which are still fun to play on emu.

I swear it was 'the only pc license of Zelda' even though I can't find any reference to it on Zelda sites, and Zelda apparently was never that sort of side-on game. It had storefronts and missions, so slightly more involved than Gods or Altered Beast or other more arcadey games.

Zelda II is always side-scrolling outside of the world map and has towns and objectives to complete, ect.

And then there's the CD-i games.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN
Try picking through here, you might get lucky.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

Mordja posted:

Got another game I remember but never actually played. Japanese, top-down SHMUP, early to mid 2000s, saw the review on X-Play. The two things I remember are that the enemies were super weird, like, giant babyheads or something, and that one playable character could turn into a werewolf and pinball around the screen. It might have been part of a series, maybe.

The werewolf guy is Hyuga from Castle Shikigami 2. I can't find any gameplay footage of him specifically, but this is better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1oqFliwrPs

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

Praseodymi posted:

I've been googleing for this game, and apparently I'm not the only one because I'm pretty sure I found at least 2 people looking for the same one and not getting an answer:

The only other thing I remember is that there was a humanoid mushroom enemy that I particularly feared, and some lava dragon things at some point, and I'm pretty sure it was in that sort of dodgy early 3D, so the character's head was a perfect flesh diffuse coloured sphere.

EDIT: And it isn't Mystic Towers, as someone suggested to one of the quotes.

Little Big Adventure / Relentless: Twinsen's Adventure (depending on your region)?

https://www.gog.com/game/little_big_adventure

E: He might wear a wizard hat later in the game or in one of the sequals or something, I haven't seen much of the game.

Pneub fucked around with this message at 19:41 on May 10, 2016

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

Shibawanko posted:

Adventure game from the 90's, graphics and gameplay similar to Fate of Atlantis, you play as a high school or college student guy, you have a love interest and you're kind of a dork. I remember in the shareware version one of the obstacles was that you had to argue with an arrogant jock in the school or something like that.

I clearly remember the first scene in the shareware version puts you in a park talking to your girlfriend about something, I think the title of the game was something like "Attack of the somethingsomething". It's not any Leisure Suit Larry game.

Day of the Tentacle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

Retro Futurist posted:

Reminds me of TMNT War

Looks like you got it, but Armadon from Primal Rage has the right color scheme.

e: ignore my previous edit

vvv I don't like their new layout. vvv

Pneub fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Aug 19, 2016