Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
I thought you guys were talking about Chopper 2, which I spent probably a bazillion hours playing as a kid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iIlW9k3lrc

Cardiovorax posted:

That's not the one I meant, at least. Mine is in those classic CGA colors of bright cyan and eye-searing magenta and was in little pixel blocks that, as someone else mentioned, you were able to slowly chip away at with your equally block-shaped shots. I think it was even possible to access a secret area or two with that, but I was literally five years old the last time I played it, so don't quote me on it.
If you skip ahead in the video to a night mission, it looks exactly like CGA colors. Also you can carve a path through the mountain to the right and enter a secret screen, yeah. It's probably not it though since I'd think you'd recognize the sound effects immediately.

The Joe Man fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jun 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Danaru posted:

Friday the 13th on NES was good <:mad:>
Nightmare on Elm Street was way better

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Pogonodon posted:

The other was an RPG, it ran like absolute dogshit. Same timeframe as the first game. You could pick from six or eight characters to play as, and one was a huge lizard man that lagged my computer to death. Full 3d, I have absolutely no other info because the game ran for maybe eight minutes before it would choke itself to death and crash to desktop.
Shot in the dark here but:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vk6aAq5zvpk

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

THE BAR posted:

or Lord of the Clans?
Is this worth playing now that they've (assumedly) restored it?

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Posting this in the event that you're mixing up two different games:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHgB-7HEly4

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

signalnoise posted:

Defender of the Crown

110 posted:

goons continue to amaze me
One of my favorite games of all time. Would recommend emulating the NES version since it's actually difficult.

This version was surprisingly decent as well, mostly due to the vastly expanded map: https://www.mobygames.com/game/robin-hood-defender-of-the-crown

ps: wolfric the wild supremacy

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Bobsedgws posted:

Hey goons, I'm after a space fighter pilot game I remember playing around 20ish years ago. I've only played the demo of it back then so some aspects of the story may be different to the full game?

It's similar to Freespace 2, in that I remember it was separated out by missions, and each of these missions had you piloting through a few jump gates to get to your destination, and sometimes back and forwards a few times. One mission in particular had a bonus objective of shooting a civilian ship until it's shields were down as it was overheating. Doing this got you some money you used to buy upgrades for your ship or different ships? Each mission started and ended with you docking or leaving a space station.

I also remember that the demo ended with your character being sent through a one way warp gate after being framed for destroying a different space station.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/32760/Tachyon_The_Fringe/

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

aniviron posted:

Is that game good? It's not old to me, but I'd love to play another Freespace-style game if it's good.
It's okay, maybe like 6.5-7/10ish? The presentation is better than most but while it can't really compete with the Wing Commanders or Freespaces, it's a lot better than the soulless Freelancer or the multitude of budget space dogfighters. It has a concrete story-path starring Bruce Campbell and it's not overly long so I say go for it.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

THE BAR posted:

Did you miss Ian Ziering and Gimli acting the crap out of that game?
I must've because good lord I was bored out of my mind. Combat/controls made for children and copy/pasted and repetitive everything. Huge disappointment (and I think Privateer is still great). Probably grabbing Rebel Galaxy: Outlaw before the sale is over since it looks like exactly what I'm hoping it is (Freespace combat w/Privateer RPG mechanics)

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Totally forgot this existed. I don't think any game has ever made me laugh harder. It's the best "Terrible Guest Simulator" ever made.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Iymarra posted:

I am attempting to remember the name (or find pictures of) a game I played in primary school around age 11/12.
I cannot remember what computing system it was, but the era is 1995-1997 roughly.
The fragments I remember from the game are :

There was some loose environmental theme (and edutainment overtones, in retrospect)
You played as a girl (I think)
You visited your grandparent's house in the woods
There was a mystery in the woods.
I think grandparent (grandfather?) went missing
I think it was point and click.
Sometimes, transitioning to screens would make something happen.
I recall Bad Guys who wore armour, I think it was black armour.
I think the Bad Guys were heavily into industrialisation, which was the crux of the game - stop them from ripping up the forest and the like.
Uhhh King's Quest IV: Huge Angry Grandpa Edition

Check out EcoQuest 1 & 2 and also the 3rd one, Pepper's Adventures In Time

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

titties posted:

If you clicked an icon to start the game it was windows. If it was a text ui it was dos

caveat: dosshell

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Around that time I remember making fun of my younger brother for playing a game like that. The one he played was called legend of mystra or mystera or something like that. Highly doubt it was the same game (I feel like it looked vaguely similar to the SNES Zelda game but that could be just really foggy memory) but that’s what it reminds me of

https://classic.graalonline.com/

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Longer shot: Head Over Heels?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ornJoqJD1Ks

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

BitBasher posted:

Okay, this is a game I have been thinking about on and off for decades. I rented it from a video store in the NES/Super Nintendo era. Pretty sure it's Super Nintendo because it seemed to to look too complicated for an NES game.

• Driving game, straight top down.
  • Terrain could scroll in both directions, kind of open world
  • Terrain was absurdly alien/drug trippy organic and colorful
  • You could sometimes find ramps to jump over terrain to get new places.
  • Getting lost was easy, and I don't recall there being any map
  • Bore no attachment to the real world either in terrain or vehicles
  • I Think the game name was a longish completely made up word
  • Maybe delivered packages from A to B?
  • Confusing as all gently caress, which was pretty abnormal for me
  • I don't remember any real text or dialogue in the game
  • Developer might have been French or other non English speaking?

I had no idea what I was doing when playing this game. No idea at all. I remember finding a print review of the game at the time and the reviewer also describing it as "indecipherable" and similar.
If only Vangers had received a 16-bit console port.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Manager Hoyden posted:

I've asked this one in this thread before but I'll try my luck again.

I remember a very early first person shooter, around the time of Catacomb 3D and Wolfenstein 3D, and it had the same kind of early engine. It was a DOS game and I'm pretty sure I got it from lordsoth.com back when that was a thing. It was very brown and the enemies were extremely poorly drawn. The thing I remember most though was the music - it was very depressing and oppressive, like a funeral dirge. I think there was only the one song, not sure about sound effects. The player character I think shot fireballs rather than using any guns.

Also, I know it's not Ken's Labyrinth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjmAPbxC-iE

"Fun" fact: it's the 4th installment in the "Hugo's House Of Horrors" adventure trilogy which somehow paid for themselves strictly through shareware floppies.

The Joe Man fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Nov 5, 2021

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

that's why nitemare 3d was revolutionary don't think about it

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Freakazoid_ posted:

There's a sega genesis game that's kind of similar called Cyborg Justice. It's a side-scrolling beat 'em up, you pick your starting parts and steal parts from other cyborgs.
Cyborg Justice ruled but the "rip off the enemies entire torso" move was way too overpowered.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Tehan posted:

So this is going to sound like some sort of bizarre fever dream but I think it was actually a thing. Sometimes in the mid to late nineties, a much younger me saw what I assume was an ad playing on a TV in the window of a computer store, where some early-CGI guy with a pike sort of lined the pike up with his back and hopped backwards onto it, impaling himself through the back and dying, and then the camera panned out and there were a whole bunch of other similarly impaled people around him. Anyone got any idea what the hell this might have been about? It's been living rent-free in my psyche ever since. I figure it was probably an ad for a game but I suppose it could have been a bizarre 3d graphics tech demo.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vlad_the_Impaler

Castlevania maybe?

EDIT: Also the thing on that machine looks to me like a green moth but I can't find anything that old with moth in the title.

The Joe Man fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Dec 21, 2021

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

EightDeer posted:

This is going to be a long shot, but does anyone remember the name of the game that reviewed and sold like poo poo because the developers got too clever with hiding their puzzles, and most of the audience didn't even know they'd missed half the content? All I can remember was that it was an indie game, and the developer's previous title was reasonably successful.
This one didn't take TOO long for folks to figure out though:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/536890/Glittermitten_Grove/

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Pierzak posted:

Game released I think not long after Legend of Grimrock, in the same style (grid dungeon crawler, nice 3d graphics), but it was either steampunk or a spaceship. May be two separate games (I'd welcome both titles if so). What is it?
Vaporum and/or StarCrawlers

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

There was one published by Sierra and I think it was based on a certain model but I don't remember the name of it. Only played the demo but I think it matches from memory.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Pentaro posted:

A game for the Sega Genesis, it was some sort of military flavored game, maybe a flight simulator? Frankly, what I remember is not so much the gameplay but the cartdridge: It had a tiny yellow plastic module on the side which I don't remember seeing in any other game.
What game was it, and what purpose did that yellow plastic thing serve?
Desert Strike
Jungle Strike
Urban Strike

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

I'm trying to remember a game that:

- Was out on consoles and PC
- Probably between 2000-2010
- 3D, probably third person
- Set in a prison, I believe it was abandoned, or at least the history of it featured
- It had a boss that was to do with executing people in a gas chamber, like he was the ghost of the executioner or something?
- Had some enemies that had big green syringes stuck in them

Does that ring any bells?

The Suffering

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

ultrafilter posted:

I found this on WaffleImages and it looks so familiar but I can't remember the name at all. Anyone know?
Google Image Search says Sword of Mana.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Human Tornada posted:

PC game from the '90s, I guess you'd call it a first person action role-playing game, similar to the first Elder Scrolls game. All I remember is you started out in a big walled medieval city and some of the buildings you could go into had a lizard man walking around in a cell behind bars, and the game box came with a big fold out map of the town.

Not much to go on I know.
Never played them but my shot in the dark guesses are:
https://www.mobygames.com/game/5058/world-of-aden-thunderscape/
or
https://www.mobygames.com/game/3413/nemesis-the-wizardry-adventure/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Commander Keene posted:

Asking this one on behalf of a friend:

When I threw out the obvious "is it Sid Meier's Pirates" I got the answer:
Try Uncharted Waters 1 or 2, which used "cards" for fencing/boarding.

Commander Keene posted:

Another one from another friend:

It's not either One Must Fall game, it had human characters apparently.

EDIT: Never mind, it was Last Bronx.
Throwing out a longshot guess of Savage Warriors, (which I only ever remember coming in a 10 game pack that I regret not picking up):
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2702100/Savage_Warriors/