Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

This info is coming from a guy at work, I said I'd look it up for him.

Xbox (original) game, 3 characters, 2 male and 1 female. You switch off between them all throughout the game. One guy has 2 pistols, another has a shotgun, can't remember what the other person has. I believe it's 3rd person.

I think they're investigating a house or something.

Someone else from work said it was "Indigo Prophecy", which I couldn't chime in with because I've never played it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Molybdenum posted:

16bit sidescrolling beat em up. I remember fighting a boss in a blimp with a glass floor. I think you could level your guy up a bit like river city ransom but not nearly as in-depth.

Was it a Street of Rage? (Sorry, couldn't help it, here's some money, go see a Star War). That blimp thing sounds familiar.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I'm looking for game box art, specifically, I think it was a picture of powerlines, shot from below. The weirdest thing was, I think it was for a JRPG for either the Wii or PS2/3. I thought it was Baroque, but I've never been able to find any evidence of that.

It struck me as such a neat cover, since it had nothing to do with the game at all.

There's a possibility that someone photoshopped this in the old Wii thread, but I remember thinking it was legit, based on goon discussion.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

linear cell shaded gamecube shooter. mc has amnesia. my brain lost the name and replaced it with killer 7 but i know that's a much weirder game than the standard fps i'm thinking of.

I believe you're thinking of XIII.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVTNUJH4EGc

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Praseodymi posted:

Nah, I think it was much more kid friendly and brightly coloured and less realistic looking than those. Like, the main character was 40% head.

EDIT: I don't think it was properly isometric, I think the camera was aligned with the grid.

Was it Young Merlin for SNES?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTCxWCuW4E0

EDIT: I just quickly re-read the description, and I don't think Young Merlin comes remotely close, but hey, someone else might have been thinking of this game, so I'm going to leave it here.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 16:05 on May 10, 2016

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Golbez posted:

This is maybe too obscure; it's a Doom 2 wad. I think it had one, maybe two levels, but what I remember is that the first level was HUGE. It took place on this gigantic spaceship, and at one point, you see that the spaceship has crashed into some kind of gaping maw of hell. I loved that wad but have had no luck finding it. I'm pretty sure it would have dated from the 90s, I don't think I played much Doom since then.

You might be better off posting this in the Early FPS Megathread, we talk about Doom almost constantly, both new and old.

Edit: just to prove I'm not a jerk...

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3420790

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

HMS Boromir posted:

Heard this on an old episode of Retronauts about video game music. Any idea what it's from?

That video is marked as private :negative:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I'm not the question-asker, but I can guarantee that it's not Uninvited or Hugo's House of Horrors, played the hell out of both of those.

I don't suppose it could be one of the Dare to Dream games, could it?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ok, this is a super long shot. Ancient DOS game, I think you were on a space station, it was top down, and while it wasn't ASCII, the graphics were extremely simple. You were a circle, other characters were circles, and I only remember dying really easily. I couldn't tell you if it was a roguelike or not, I just remember either getting shot with a laser from an enemy, or I think maybe running out of oxygen.

I was really young when I played it, so I'd love to try it out again. I think the name started with S, but I can't be sure.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Holy poo poo.

Thank you! :glomp:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Lowness 72 posted:

Ok I have a game that I've been trying to figure out for ages.

It was ~1992. This was a PC game (or Mac? or something - but not a game console). I think the computers had marble madness, oregon trail, and this game. You were a wizard and I remember specifically you could cast magic missile. I think it was 2d (so a platformer?) and it had various stages with various difficulties. I think you could choose the stage beforehand too.

Any ideas?

Hocus Pocus?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Not the exact game you're looking for, but there's Automata for Android which is pretty nifty.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

I have an old game song stuck in my head but I can't remember what its from and its driving me crazy. I don't know how to search for it other than finding the notes using a keyboard and then playing it, or recording myself humming it or something stupid like that :(

It'd be a pretty classic dos game, simpler music than Doom so something like wolfenstein or warcraft 1 but not those. Crap.

Hum it, or record yourself playing it. Or, as previously mentioned, write the notes out here.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Chubby Henparty posted:

Could be anything? I remember a family restaurant in the 80s that had a sit-down Galaga table, with controllers and coin slots on both seated sides.

There is a scene in about the middle of The Wizard (1990) where Jimmy is playing Ninja Gaiden on one of these. I'd screenshot it, but I'm at work.

If it helps, it's when Haley first tells them about Video Game Armageddon. I remember because she plops the magazine right on top of the screen while he's still playing :argh:

Edit: skip to 1:30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrIn8hklG-I

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Apr 30, 2018

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

CYBEReris posted:

Trying to remember a Myst-like game where one of the environments was a sort of carnival where there was at least one disturbing early 3D clown head as some sort of decoration. I can say for sure it wasn't The Residents' weird games, Bad Day on the Midway or Freak Show.

Ha, gently caress, I was just about to suggest those.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

DreadCthulhu posted:

That's a good guess! The name does seem similar but no, I remember this game being a weird adventure puzzler thing. Something like Adam's [...] or along those lines.

Moraff's Entrap?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WL-Ye7O6EE

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

baka kaba posted:

Delphine also did Another World (which has a car in the intro) and Future Wars (which has time travel) so maybe you kinda mushed them together. I thought the Flashback guy was a time traveller but no I guess not!

He (Conrad) certainly traveled to different, shittier games in the series, like Fade to Black, a game I'll never forgive for enticing me to buy instead of System Shock 2, a game I have yet to actually, finally play and 'get into' :argh:

Also, w/r/t Mario 4 and 'Lost Levels' being dumped onto a NES cart and rented out from a super rural convenience/video store, my best friend and I had a similar experience, before we even met each other, that spanned probably 200 miles.

Growing up in the city, I always had a pretty good selection of where to rent games from. One place, Video King, had a few games that other places didn't, and was one of the few places that rented out Master System titles, so I always found it neat to check that place out. One day, I'm there, looking through the games for something to rent, and I see a clear case with a blue NES cart on it. In black ink is written Baby Mario. I think 'holy poo poo, I have to get this!' so I do (well, my mom does, I was probably 7).

I bring it home, play it, and wow! Super fun! You're a baby, shaking a rattle at various animal enemies, who then become inflated and you can use them as platforms or, if you hit their inflated, floating sprites from the side, projectiles. I play the game a ton, get really, REALLY far, and then a few days later we return it.

I don't end up going back to Video King before it closes years later, so I never play it again. That was probably 90-91.

Skip ahead to 2005, and I'm softmodding original Xboxes for $20 a pop. My gf at the time says her childhood friend would love to have his modded, and so I invite him over to talk video games, and I even walk him through the process, because he's interested in that sort of thing.

So, we get talking about our best, worst, and weirdest NES memories. He mentions that, when he visited his relatives who lived about 3-4 hours outside of the city in rural nowhere, he once rented quite an interesting title from the local convenience store there. He said it was a super weird version of Mario called 'Baby Mario', except he's realized since then that it was obviously a bootleg... as the title was just scribbled on it (the blue cartridge) in black marker.

:aaaaa:

So cue me immediately knowing what he's talking about and validating his sort of fuzzy and memories of it by running through everything I remembered about it. Up until that moment, I think we had both been almost ready to put that game's memory into the 'I might've dreamt it, or am wildly misremembering a other, more common game'. But no! Instant camaraderie because of this weird, hosed up (but fun) Japanese bootleg, of which we had both, separated by hundreds of miles (km to us, here in eastern Canada), played the exact same copy.

:aaaaa:

Days later, after some research, one of us (I think it was him) discovered that it was Konami's Japan-only "Bio-Miracle". Actually, while looking this up, I can't recall if it had been put on an actual NES cart, or it was just a pirated Famicom cart with the adapter. The adapter wouldn't necessarily stick out in my mind, since I also grew up owning the very-popular-in-eastern-canada 31-in-1 cart, which already was a Famicom cart with the adapter.

Anyway, that's my story about weird, pirated NES games back in the day :shobon:

Tl;dr - a friend and I both realized we played the exact same copy of a very rare and weird game, separate by a fairly long distance, 15 years before we actually met.

Edit: ooooook, weird. This video actually sucks, but the guy's story at the beginning is quite similar to mine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-gTvlDSH7c

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Sep 23, 2018

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

superh posted:

I ran it by her, no luck. She seems to remember a kid or teen protagonist - but not an educational game.

Graphically it was also pretty low res - closer to NES point and clicks like Deja Vu etc., but with a character you controlled.

That seems pretty strange for a demo disc from the mid-90s to me! But maybe it was an old disc, or just some weird shovel ware.

Teen Agent?

https://www.gog.com/game/teenagent

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Chinook posted:

This is my favorite thread.

I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not. Did I miss something?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Chinook posted:

No, I just love trying to figure out these old mysteries and I love when it succeeds. I'm always excited when I see an odd numbered amount of new replies :)

Ah ok, sorry about that :shobon: I was going through old posts, wondering 'was I the 3rd or 4th person to suggest Teen Agent? :ohdear:'

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Unreal_One posted:

. The thing I remember most is that it had a fairly intuitive map maker that elementary school me could use to make like an ice rink you payed to enter.

This sounds incredible.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Chinook posted:

Yeah I made a ZZT level/world/whatever where I modeled a giant purple Barney dinosaur and the goal was to kill Barney. You just had to trigger different areas of the map to do different things to get the message that you've succeeded. I was like 12, I thought it was fantastic.

quick edit: I just googled to see if my level was out there and there is apparently ANOTHER Kill Barney zzt world. Not made by me?! Maybe I was inspired by it, I forget..

This is all sounding amazing, and holy poo poo, a goon-run game jam based on ZZT would be kind of awesome.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The only arcade game worth hunting for is Lucky & Wild :colbert:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The Joe Man posted:

My local movie theater had this in their ancient arcade room. Doubt it's still there though.

It's so good, and under-appreciated :negative:

Then again, my memory is probably building it up to be better than it was. But that combo of Player 1 drives + shoots, and Player 2 just shoots really works.

And if you can fit enough people in there, you can do a 3 player thing!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Dr Christmas posted:

For some reason I’m thinking of a 2D platformer I saw on a Steam sale with 3D rendered sprite graphics. It was really surreal and the antagonists might have been aliens, and there was some kind of plot around mind control or a dream world. Boss battles seemed like a big part of it.

Just throwing this out there, but... Nidhogg 2?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

That's definitely General Chaos, and it's definitely fun af.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Zaodai posted:

There's a modern semi-remake/sequel of it from like last year or so if you're looking to revisit it.

And there's a pixel-perfect remake of it and the other Macventure games (well, their superior NES versions, with music and everything) on Steam, and they're mouse-compatible! :toot:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

al-azad posted:

Two games that are vague memories:

One is a recentish release, indie game. The Steam page called it a first person Max Payne. It was clearly inspired by Hotline Miami. The gist of the game is you're thrown in a level full of bad guys and using your Max Payne like moves to slow down time and dive around to kill all the bad guys. Like Hotline Miami it's super fast, you die in one hit, and enemies react instantly.

I want to say that this is Superhot, but I feel like if it was, you likely would've mentioned the very distinct look of it. But still... could be?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

edit: aha, it's Logic Quest 3D, which for some reason isn't listed on wikipedia or many other places.

https://www.blog.radiator.debacle.us/2011/09/logic-quest-3d-lost-history-of.html

Be the change you want to see in the world.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Chinook posted:

That looks really delightful, actually, but I'm starting to think I just thought the kid in Monster Bash was younger, for whatever reason. Thanks though!

The game (Bio Miracle) is actually quite fun.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

KoldPT posted:

The questions may or may not have been piratical in nature

I had no idea this was a word, but it makes so much sense that it is.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

OK, this should be easy, but I can't seem to find it. It's a CGA golf game, you get to build your own courses, and you can put dinosaurs in it. I'm guessing it's from 1990 or thereabouts.

EDIT: Ok, so NOW I try and can find it no problem.

World Tour Golf -> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Tour_Golf

Reading further:

quote:

World Tour Golf was EA's second sports title and its second sports hit, and it represents a link in the chain that led to the founding of EA Sports.

Oh wow. drat :stare:

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Jun 19, 2019

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

al-azad posted:

Adventure game made in Sierra’s AGI engine. It’s basically John Carpenter’s The Thing with the aesthetic of original King’s Quest.

The Dig?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Cheez posted:

Learning game, most likely DOS CGA or EGA, featured a cast of dinosaurs(?) if not elsewhere then at least on the title screen and box art. Might have involved math? I have nothing else to give because I've never played it, only had it, installed it, and booted it up once before immediately quitting and forgetting to ever get back to it. I lost the floppy and the computer's hard drive died ages ago, so this is the last place I can look.

The only peculiar thing about it is that it had to have been bought at any point after Windows 95 came about. That doesn't mean that's when the game came out, but it must've been available in some form, right? Maybe that part doesn't matter, but maybe it does.

I was going to suggest Math Rescue (or even Word Rescue), but as far as I can tell, they don't involve dinosaurs.

Anything here resemble it?

https://www.google.com/search?q=Dos...2Z7oDA&prmd=inv

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

That or Dick Tracy.

But likely Golgo 13.

Actually, DT didn't have an ammo count, so that's likely wrong.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Pneub posted:

Rolling Thunder probably

Or Code Name Viper.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

I looked up screenshots, and at first thought this was it, but it looked less and less familiar.

I should have mentioned that the graphics leaned fairly more towards the "serious" side for an NES game, and so Hudson hawk wasnt it

I think this was it. I looked up videos and the main character's skinny legs stirred up some nostalgia. I think I've been remembering certain aspects incorrectly for so long that I could still be wrong. But I feel like I've seen those guys facing the computers before, and the ammo doors you go into are probably why I remembered doors+ammo. I'm going to call this one solved. Thank you all for playing!

Just so you know, Code Name Viper was a Rolling Thunder reskin (and a better game :colbert:). Could it possibly be that?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Pablo Nergigante posted:

This is actually a Genesis game, Chakan: The Forever Man

Yeah, I had no idea what it was until the last bit of info about the hat and the two swords. I've never played Chakan, but I'll be damned if I'll ever forget that cover.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Shine posted:

I played the Daggerfall demo for like 3 years :hfive:.

Same! The island of Betony was larger than most full-priced games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Shine posted:

Yeah, I remember playing the full game years later and feeling like, drat, seems like the biggest difference is the existence of the main quest line, which I never cared about.

Man, I robbed The Champion Smithy so many times...

Have you heard about Daggerfall Unity? It's practically done, and is fantastic.

https://twitter.com/gav_clayton?s=09