Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

This was a game from fairly recently I think, maybe PS2 or Xbox. I think it was a 3rd-person action game. I only remember this one level which was going into a castle and climbing a long staircase into a round arena room where doors open and you have to fight waves of different types of enemies. Eventually you clear out the arena and climb another staircase and I think there were hundreds of archers up there all trying to shoot you. I guess since there were archers maybe it was a fantasy/medieval themed game? Or maybe they were gunners? Large numbers of people with hand-held projectile weapons at least.

To be honest I'm not even sure this game even exists, I just have distinct memories of this one area and am trying to remember what if anything it was. Not much to go on, I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Sanford posted:

The second is a BBC Micro game that was released in the early 80s. It was a single screen with several blue platforms connected with yellow ladders. Your character had to dig a little hole that monsters would fall into, and you would then have to run and hit them with a hammer till they fell through the hole and died on the platform below. Some monsters had to fall further, so you had to dig several holes above one another so they had further to fall. One of the monsters looked something like this:

Any ideas?

This is almost definitely Space Panic.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

The Incredible Ed posted:

This game was either on the NES or SNES, and the details are kind of vague because my mom rented it for me when I was sick. It was probably 1992-1994, but like I said, it was a rental so it could have been older. The game was a 2D sidescroller, and you started out the game as just a normal guy, and at the end of the level you would jump into what I want to say is a robotic dinosaur. Then, the next level you would play in the robotic dinosaur which had less fluid controls.

The only reason I remember this game is because I recall it taking me forever to get to the end of the first stage the first time, and I couldn't figure out what I was supposed to do. I jumped to my death, and ended up inside the awesome dinosaur deathmachine :3:

Dynowarz maybe?

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Jadz posted:

^^^^ Was it Spy Hunter on the PS2 maybe?

I asked about this a long time ago, but none of the suggestions I got ended up being it. I'm hoping someone new will see this and know what I'm babbling about.

Waaaay back in the day, when computers still used the huge 5" floppies, and 3.25" were a brand new thing, and most computers either ran on DOS or Windows 3.1 (or IBM's proprietary Windows-like platform, which I can't remember the name of), there was this game about being a wizard's apprentice, or being a student at a wizard academy or something like that.

The art style was hand-drawn and cartooney - 2D Sierra-style adventure game perspective that looked and played very much like an old Liesure-Suit Larry game.

You were this nerdy, bumbling wizard wannabe in an academy trying to do I-can't-remember-what. I recall some fairly adult innuendos, and what I'm pretty sure was a frat house. You picked up items, searched things an tried to use things with text commands, very much like Maniac Mansion.

What the hell am I remembering?

This has gotta be one of the Spellcasting 101: Sorcerers Get All the Girls games. Definitely had adult themes, like an island of sex-crazed amazons that will literally screw you to death. And the frat house was a location early on as well.

edit: Well...on second thought maybe not, since it wasn't a 2D Sierra game or played like that, they were more like classic Zork-style text adventures except with graphics. But the scenario you describe is a dead ringer.

Genpei Turtle fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Dec 16, 2010

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

boner meter posted:

Old Mac II (I think) game, rails shooter but with motion captured actors and photographic backgrounds, but fairly low res, MK style. I was absolutely convinced that this game was called Bloodbath, and didn't even realise that the knowledge in my head was inaccurate. Mobygames has quite a few "Blood Bath" and "Bloodbath" entries, but none of them look remotely like this. Thanks a lot!

The information in your head is indeed accurate--I played this game too. Quick google search turns up this which I'm pretty sure is the game you're talking about.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

This is a long shot since I'm pretty sure that it's never been translated into English but I'll ask anyway:

The game in question is a Japanese freeware action-RPG I played quite a bit about 5 years ago or so, though I can't for the life of me remember what it was called. It had extremely high production values for a freeware game and looked almost commercial-quality compared to what was out at the time. It was entirely in 3D and seemed like it really wanted to be a MMO but was single-player. I vaguely remember the plot involved two warring countries hanging out in a newly-discovered ancient city or something that was a neutral zone while they explored it looking for...something, I don't remember. Though you were just some neutral guy looking for an old war buddy out for revenge or something. You only controlled one character but could have several other party members whose AI you could fine-tune, like FF12's Gambit system only much more granular. The game was very grindy, with a lot of farming enemies for rare parts to repair or hopefully upgrade your weapons or rings, which you used to cast magic. In addition to the story mode, there was a free mode where you could play as any of your companions (and I think this might have been the only way to level them up)

Any ideas?

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Saint Septimus posted:

The Ruins of the Lost Kingdom maybe?

Yep, that's it all right. Thanks!

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Dr_Amazing posted:

This was a Super Nintendo game. Fantasy RPG, but it played more like D&D style rules that final fantasy and was complicated enough that I didn't really figure it out during the rental period. It had an interface similar to those old dungeon hack PC games. You had (created?) 4 characters and you had their portraits and inventories on the side of the screen, with the rest being a first person perspective of the dungeon.

The story had the party going into a dungeon or crypt and immediately being trapped by a cave in.

Eye of the Beholder. Was OK on SNES but MUCH better on PC.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Hammerstein posted:

Here's a difficult one:

It was during the late 80ies in some arcade hall. That game was a right-left scrolling beat'em up where you played as some kind of cyborg ninja thing.

All the powerups you got went into your character's fist, which first started glowing faintly and became :black101: when you got enough powerups. Also the game was hard as hell.

I know this is a vague description, but I was a small kid back then and was mostly impressed by the pew-pew and the good graphics.

80s cyborg ninja scrolling beat'em up immediately makes me think The Ninja Warriors, but I don't remember that game having powerups at all. It's not that, is it?

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Total long shot here, but I'm looking for an Apple II game they had on the computer labs in lower school, probably mid-late 80s. It was, as best as I can describe it, an ecology simulator where you set parameters of the various animals and let things run and try to make it so that no species go extinct, either by getting eaten by predators or over-reproducing to the point that they starve to death from lack of resources. I'm pretty sure the animals weren't actually real animals--they were either abstracted fake animals or the game took place on an alien planet or something.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

Hmm... looking at screenshots of it, that's definitely not it. :(

If it was on Mac, could it maybe be Troubled Souls? That was a great game.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

AnimalChin posted:

I think it was on the xbox live arcade, but going through my played games list I couldn't find it.

It was this very stylistic first person - beat em up? The setting was an ancient tribal/caveman landscape place and you walked along some cliffs and got into hand to hand combat with other caveman tribal dudes.

Sounds like Zeno Clash.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Forgedbow posted:

It does look somewhat intriguing. XSEED has kinda sorta possibly made some rumblings that it could look into localising the upcoming sequel on Vita, but as likely it won't happen.

I played the hell out of that game and while it's good, I don't think it's a good candidate for localization. The gimmick is fun but the game is 95% grinding generic jRPG battles. I doubt it would sell all that well. Also the cutscenes, especially those at the end, are the some of the most :nms: poo poo you can imagine.

It's definitely an interesting game, as is the design process behind it. From some of the interviews I've read the director is basically a crazy person who got so worked up and excited about becoming a dad he designed an entire game around it.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

HawaiinYeti posted:

I'm trying to remember the name of a game where you play as robots in a post-apocalyptic city. It may have been in an open world city. It was possibly an indie game, but my memory of it is super fuzzy and I can't be sure. IIRC, you started in a small, mouse-sized robot in first person and could work your way to controlling larger robots later. The graphics were retro/vector-like, with some robots being simple 3d triangles. I think I played it at least 4+ years ago, so it's not super recent, but I'm not sure if it's an older game

You're probably thinking of Cholo, which is actually a remake of an older Commodore 64 game. Though the remake is substantially different in a number of ways.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Pladdicus posted:

A game maybe sometime in the early-mid 2000's I played a demo of on Cnet. It was very much like Majesty, where you ran a kingdom but your heroes kind of did their own thing, it was kind of simmy with management of heroes buying their own gold. It has been awhile so details are shoddy.

Any games on PC that are like majesty at all would be a good way to start.

Could be Medieval Conquest, a Majesty-knockoff from about that time. Wasn't very good though.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

This is a long shot, but my Google skills are failing me.

I'm looking for a really old, simple text-based game I played on the Apple II as a kid in the 1980s. You were an explorer on Mars or something and trying to find treasure, with aliens of various levels of hostility running around. One of them who was the least hostile would say "Gibble!" when it met you and "Gib-bleck" when you killed it.

I'm almost sure this wasn't a commercially-produced game, but one of those games that had its program listed in BASIC in a book and you were supposed to type it in and play it. In fact it might have been in a book on how to program aimed at kids. But I'm not turning up anything about the book or the game, anywhere. I'm pretty sure the book would have been published before 1987-1988ish though.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

al-azad posted:

Sounds like an Aardvark game, either Derelict (on a spaceship collecting 10 treasures) or Mars/Graphic Mars.

I looked those up and it's definitely not any of them, unfortunately. The more I think about it, the more I'm pretty sure it wasn't a game published by a company but just something you had to type in by hand.

Also the game had a really crude overhead map in the vein of the old Star Trek mainframe game.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Serperoth posted:

I know, that's what makes it hard to find. The aesthetic was futuristic-ish, with blue red and green stuff on black backgrounds.

And the kart game isn't Cel Damage. A quick google pins it as Furious Karting, and it's as good as I remembered it (pretty mediocre), according to the review I hit.

How about Supaplex then?

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Here's possibly a tough one:

I can't remember exactly when this game was from but I'm guessing the mid-90s? Possibly Windows 95-era, might be PS1/Saturn too. I don't remember the platform. The one thing I do remember is that you're a robot gardener that plants vegetables in little flowerpots. You could breed two different vegetables (or was it seeds?) in a machine to combine their properties and create mutations to make them bigger, etc. But there was some sort of mechanic where if you deliberately made your vegetables as lovely as possible they'd sell for more?

I'm pretty sure there were vegetable growing contests in it, because I remember one AI-controlled opponent who loving loved pumpkins or something because he'd always submit a pumpkin as his entry even if it was a carrot-growing contest. He'd always be booed off the stage but once it was time for a pumpkin (or whatever vegetable he loved) contest he was drat near unbeatable.

Googling "robot farmer/gardener game" and all permutations thereof hasn't done me too much good, especially since terrible casual farming games have exploded in popularity there's a lot of noise to sift through.

Any ideas?

ed: I think your character/robot had a big wind-up key in his back too, come to think of it.

Genpei Turtle fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Sep 10, 2013

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Genpei Turtle posted:

Here's possibly a tough one:

I can't remember exactly when this game was from but I'm guessing the mid-90s? Possibly Windows 95-era, might be PS1/Saturn too. I don't remember the platform. The one thing I do remember is that you're a robot gardener that plants vegetables in little flowerpots. You could breed two different vegetables (or was it seeds?) in a machine to combine their properties and create mutations to make them bigger, etc. But there was some sort of mechanic where if you deliberately made your vegetables as lovely as possible they'd sell for more?

I'm pretty sure there were vegetable growing contests in it, because I remember one AI-controlled opponent who loving loved pumpkins or something because he'd always submit a pumpkin as his entry even if it was a carrot-growing contest. He'd always be booed off the stage but once it was time for a pumpkin (or whatever vegetable he loved) contest he was drat near unbeatable.

Googling "robot farmer/gardener game" and all permutations thereof hasn't done me too much good, especially since terrible casual farming games have exploded in popularity there's a lot of noise to sift through.

Any ideas?

ed: I think your character/robot had a big wind-up key in his back too, come to think of it.

From a couple pages back--anyone know this? I don't think anyone did.

Also, another one--I vaguely remember this game from a LONG time ago, and I'm not sure I'm remembering it correctly, but it was a 2.5D FPS. The one thing I remember about it is that I'm pretty sure it took place in the Capitol and had you fighting security guards and pistol-packing congressmen. Or maybe it was lobbyists. Someone tell me I'm not just imagining this game from a fever dream or something.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Brovstin posted:

Prime Target?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soTrYpmm8uQ (This is the best video I could find.)

Yes! This is definitely it. Thanks!

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

DopeGhoti posted:

My turn, I guess.

This was a game I had for the Apple //GS back in the day, which could be run as either a point-and-click adventure, or as a Zork-like text adventure. No matter what interface you used, you'd get music apropos of your location. I don't remember much other than that for some reason, guitar picks were currency, and if you spent too much time screwing around, you'd get eaten by an anthropomorphized alligator or crocodile.

Actually, this brings to mind another //GS game- I remember it basically being a not-bad Ultima knock-off, but you were just on your own rather than being in a party.

Your first game is definitely Tass Times in Tonetown.

The second could be a bunch of things, as that format was not at all uncommon in the Apple days. Any more information besides that? It could even be Ultima 1 or 2, since those were just single-character games.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

DopeGhoti posted:

I recall something about part of the game being about finding a hidden way to an alternate world, or underworld, or something, where the Big Bad lived. Spells were bought, as I recall, like ammunition; I am remembering spending a fair amount of time buying lightning bolt or magic missile spells, or somesuch (which is just generic enough to probably not be all that helpful). I remember that I heard about it from a review in Nibble magazine that looked quite favorably upon it.

Hmm...Questron II maybe? You bought spells in that, and it did get its own Apple IIGS release.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

CrookedB posted:

Thanks, but definitely not Rhem, that's for sure. Jewels looks a bit closer (EDIT: though now that I'm watching a Youtube walkthrough, I'm not sure it looks any closer either), but I don't think that was it either. My recollection is very vague, though.

There's Secrets of the Luxor too, but that starts in a hotel room rather than a harbor.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Puweyxil posted:

The first thing that came to mind was Impossible Mission 2, but I agree with duckfarts that it looks more like Rolling Thunder 2. But I couldn't find a matching piece of art from either.

:laffo: I seriously cannot get over that cover for Impossible Mission 2, it's the worst ever. Explosions! Guns! Women! *game is about an unarmed dude somersaulting through a tower and searching furniture for keys while dodging robots*

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Mondian posted:

Just tried it, same result. I just wanted to be helpful!

That's one of the most bullshit choices in that game--help, don't help, run, you can get killed no matter what you do there.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Bluhman posted:

Gruntz wasn't it. The game had a distinctly realistic look to it.

Could it maybe be Myth: The Fallen lords? It's very brown and grey, has lots of violent death, and there's a unit that shoots a massive lightning strike that blows people up.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

year199X posted:

It should still be in development, so I wouldn't worry about it.

This one has been bugging me for a while: It was either an NES or SNES 2d side scroller game where you play as a toy soldier or some kind of action figure guy, and a lot of the levels were either toy themed or took place in a house that was huge because you were so small. I distinctly remember a level where you are swimming through the plumbing of a bathroom.

What about Harley's Humongous Adventure? That has a level where you're swimming through the plumbing of a bathroom.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

So speaking of space-based shmups, there's one that I remember seeing in an arcade in Japan in the mid-90s that escapes me. The one thing I remember about it was that it was set up in a theater-type room with an enormous screen and a bunch of seats and control stations for players. It allowed for a ton of simultaneous players as well--like at least 10 I think. I'm pretty sure it was named after one of the classic 80s arcade space games like Space Invaders or Xevious, but I can't find any reference to it.

Also on the topic of mid-90s Japanese arcades, there was a sidescrolling beat-em-up like Double Dragon. The only thing I remember was that you had a "kill all enemies" special ability that summoned an enormous microwave. A caped superhero would fly out of the microwave, throw all the onscreen enemies in it, and then cook them.

Both of these would date from around 1995-1996 or so since that's when I saw them.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Yeah, I'm pretty sure this is exactly what it was. Thanks!

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Could also be Esh's Aurunmilla.

Other possibilities are Cliff Hanger, Cobra Command, or Road Blaster. Though none of those are quite sci-fi.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

al-azad posted:

So 2 1/2 years in the making, I think this game is Astronoka.

Hah, yeah that's it all right. Turns out I actually owned it, and a year or so back discovered it in a box of old games I had put away in storage. I gave it another run too, it's surprisingly good--one of those sleeper PS1 gems that unfortunately never got translated.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

ikanreed posted:

Other than the graphical quality that sounds like Lords of Magic. https://www.gog.com/game/lords_of_magic_special_eddition

Could also be Age of Wonders 2, that had underground areas, an elf faction, and a somewhat isometric viewpoint.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Frog Act posted:

You guys totally helped me with my question about glowing parts in item inspection (it was shadow of mordor hell yeah thanks) and I have a way more challenging one that has been bugging me on and off for years. It was a first person shooter game in the style of Marathon or Doom, but used the Dark Forces engine (it had proto-3d objects and stuff). It mostly took place in these big open areas that were full of small buildings, rivers, and green space as well as enemies. The enemies were almost entirely dudes in black suits or soldiers. The general premise of the game was that you were a badass soldier who had to kill all the dudes and retrieve something at the end of the level. The very first level was in a big marble-walled building with lots of American flags.

I remember one of its big features was the ability to dual wield stuff, like M16s and giant pistols. It was also very bloody for the time. I played it in the late 90s on my Macintosh after getting a long demo on a shareware disk.

This has been bothering me forever and I gave up on figuring it out long ago but maybe all is not lost

Not sure if I'm right here, but it actually sounds like a combination of two games that you're thinking of that both used the Marathon 2 engine, Damage Incorporated and Prime Target. Damage Incorporated had big open areas with green space and rivers, whereas Prime Target had the dudes in black suits and soldiers and the first level was the US Capitol with marble walls and lots of American flags. Both had you as a badass soldier with dual wielding stuff and were gory.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Happylisk posted:

Here's a game I've never been able to find or remember. I had an Apple IIGS when I was a kid back in the late eighties, and remember most of the games I had for it (Ancient Lands of Ys, Thexter, Silpheed, Dark Castle), but there's one game I just can't remember. You were exploring a castle or a dungeon going room to room... in the intro sequence there was a face of an old wizardy dude whose face would flash into a skull for a second... and that's all I can remember.

Pretty sure this is The Tower of Myraglen.

edit: never mind, I'm remembering totally wrong, the wizard face is in the ending of that

Genpei Turtle fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Dec 19, 2018

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

al-azad posted:

Weird Japanese only PS1 game. Third person RPG with pre-rendered backgrounds not unlike Final Fantasy. The game starred anthro animals in a sort of Disney's Robin Hood style. It was set in space on a weird alien planet. Can't remember anything else about it.

Planet Laika maybe?

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Defiance Industries posted:

I remember playing an arcade beat-em-up in the mid-90s on a Neo-Geo cabinet where every time you beat a boss, you could play as them in the following levels. I think the starter characters were all some kind of ninja but some of the bosses you could play as were like samurais and a sumo guy.

Could be Ninja Combat. You start out with ninjas, then several bosses/minibosses join you--a samurai guy with twin swords, a woman with a sword in a white robe and a dude in a green karate outfit that just punched people. No sumo wrestlers though.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

This one's going to be a long shot, but I'm looking for a book with a game in it. It was one of these "Learn to program in BASIC by writing a game" books for 8-bit computers in the 80s, geared toward children. There was only one game in the whole book and as you progressed through the chapters you'd flesh out the game while learning different aspects of the language.

The game that you ended up programming was set on Mars and you explored a grid-based world that was randomly generated, looking for treasures and avoiding monsters. I think you had to find food and water to make sure you didn't die of hunger or thirst, too. The one thing I distinctly remember is that there was one monster that was totally harmless and said "Gibble!" when you met it.

I'm hoping this was actually a thing instead of some fever dream but I haven't been able to find anything about it at all.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Snackmar posted:

JLsoft suggested this one when I asked him: https://www.mocagh.org/softguide/goldenflutes-book.pdf

It has folks progressively building on the idea of adventure games, coming up to page 73 where the Marsquake features are implemented - random, grid-based world, monsters, weird stuff.

Holy poo poo this is absolutely it. I remember that cover too. Thanks! I've been looking for this for a long time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

WarpedLichen posted:

This is gonna be a long shot because I'm not sure if this game ever made it out of China, but it was a Romance of the 3 Kingdoms version of a Fire Emblem. You had units with types like infantry, cavalry, or archery. I distinctively remember a "But Thou Must" option in the Liu Bei campaign where you can either ally with Cao Cao or fight a mission where it seemed impossible to win.

Could be one of Koei’s Eiketsuden games. There were 3 of them—Sangokushi Eiketsuden, Sangokushi Komeiden and Sangokushi Sosoden. That translates to, respectively, “Three Kingdoms: Legend of Heroes,” “Three Kingdoms: Legend of Kongming” and “Three Kingdoms: Legend of Cao Cao.”

Ed: Eiketsuden got a Super Famicom release and had really primitive graphics in that version so that might be what you’re thinking of.

Genpei Turtle fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Feb 23, 2020