Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Alright, here's one that haunted my nightmares for a week or so in much younger days. There was a mini golf course in Hamlin, PA in the 90s that had a tiny arcade, and I got a brief look at the attract screens and it weirded my poo poo directly out. I want to say it displayed screens of some sort of urban setting and had text featuring the grim and gritty main character ruminating on his family, for whom he was presumably OUT FOR REVENGE. I mostly remember the text reading something like "MOTHER... FATHER..." in large red letters in a creepy font. I have suspected it was developed by Tecmo, since the font used for this text reminds me of that in the continue screen in the arcade version of Ninja Gaiden, but I've been unable to locate this mystery game via poking at Tecmo's production history on google and such. Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Nope. Thanks for looking, though.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Neo Rasa posted:

MIDNIGHT RESISTANCE!

I think this is it. I'll have to poke around to doublecheck, since it doesn't look like anything on youtube has the attract sequence, but I think we've got a winner here.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

This is probably a pretty easy one, but I've got the dumb today:

NES, megaman-style adventure game, main character was a super-anime-style witch, who changed colors when using a different spell.

The name is on the tip of my tongue, and I will literally kick myself when I hear it.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Tobaccrow posted:

The Krion Conquest/Magical Doropie

Yep. Kicking has commenced. Thanks.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Man, I don't know if it's what they're looking for, but now I want to play that ridiculous Encarta dungeoncrawler again.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUGaw_qJEQ8

Cobra Command, maybe?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

oscarthewilde posted:

really old (late 90's/early 00's)

I feel so old.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Mortuus posted:

I'm trying to remember a racing game from the late 90s. It was some kind of futuristic racing game, everyone was in a ball, I think they were all green. All of the tracks were floating around cities and the like, I think. I remember playing the demo of it on a demo disc from a PC Gamer, probably around 97 or so. I wanna say the name of the game was a single word.

Pod?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

PantsBandit posted:

Do you know which demo disc had Intelligent Qube on it? I've been trying to find footage of the disc itself for nostalgia's sake.

Playstation Underground Number 3 is one that I've got that has it.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Sounds like Arcade America. Which I only know about because of Freeman's Mind.

Good god, of course youtube man has to explain every obvious plot cue that anyone with a working brain would get from context.

"You play as Joey! The monsters are literally monsters! They can't wake him up!"

Jesus loving christ.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

It's the sort of thing I could probably google for if it wasn't the middle of the night and all that. Sorry in advance.

A DOS shareware game of the 90s, you controlled a sphere on a flat surface (2d, sprite-based graphics) and collected items and avoided enemies to get to the end of each level. One of the early levels, when viewed through the overhead map, spelled out the name ASTRID in all caps.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Allen Wren posted:

It's the sort of thing I could probably google for if it wasn't the middle of the night and all that. Sorry in advance.

A DOS shareware game of the 90s, you controlled a sphere on a flat surface (2d, sprite-based graphics) and collected items and avoided enemies to get to the end of each level. One of the early levels, when viewed through the overhead map, spelled out the name ASTRID in all caps.

I'm quoting myself because I really want to play this thing again. Maybe some more info would help. The sphere you controlled was lavender, with darker spots like a soccer ball. The platforms you went around on were beige and, IIRC, had candy cane borders along the edges. Parallax scrolling was used to make it look like the platforms were high above the background "surface." The view was entirely from overhead.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

In one, thank you.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Here's one. Arcade, late 80s, flight sim ish. Same tiny sticks on a cube steering wheel controls as Star Wars. You went through psychedelic tunnels between stages.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

MMAgCh posted:

Based on a screenshot I saw, this could be Lock-On.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdjcZ6FbDr0

yesssssssssssssssssssssssssss

thank you

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

djw175 posted:

Gameboy color game.

Acne Rain posted:

Could it be the gbc game

what

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

westborn posted:

Could simply be the classic R-Type.

vertical tho

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

SoR Blaze posted:

This one might be kind of obscure, but around 2005/2006, I was pretty broke, and was dabbling with a lot of freeware games that were coming out at the time. There was one game in particular by a developer whose name I can't remember, but it was a sort of exploration platformer, and the guy you played as was a little white man, and the soundtrack was very chill. I was looking for it today, and thought it had been made by Nifflas, the creator of Within a Deep Forest and the Knytt series, but it doesn't show up on his website. It definitely has the same chill vibe about it though, and would love to revisit it.

I can think of one or two games that I think are made by the same developer, but I can't remember the titles of them either. One was a top down shmup with RPG elements, and the other was sort of an action rpg where you played a mage that flew around. I'm pretty sure the art styles of both games were similar to Out of This World, in that the sprites were made of 3 or 4 colors with no outlines that were composed of sort of irregular shapes. I think the mage one might have been unfinished. Anyways, if any of those games ring a bell for anyone, I'd love to know what the titles were. Thanks!

Edit: Never mind, I just found it after modifying my search terms a little bit. It was called Seiklus, and it came out in 2003. The other two games I mentioned were by a developer called darthlupi. I was a big fan of all of these games, and I'm glad to have found them again.

seiklus is real loving good

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Solvency posted:

This one has bothered me for a long time, and I've never been able to find it. I rented it during the 90s and was never able to find it again.

It's a racing game for what I suspect is either the NES or Genesis, and the only thing I really remember about it is that you could customize the paint color of your car such that you could have different colors for the front, middle and rear of the car. I don't remember if it was an F1 type game, but it might have been. Any thoughts?

I can't find video where anyone actually goes that deep into the settings, but you're almost certainly thinking of Al Unser Jr. Turbo Racing for the NES.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Golbez posted:

No, it was not flying, it was driving/hovercrafting. Zone Raiders so far seems to be the closest, but I'm still not 100% sure.

spectre?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t41bawPxF-g

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I just came back to this thread to post about one I posted about years ago but only just encountered again this past weekend...only to find that I never actually posted about it. Whoops.

It was Taito's Frontline, which I encountered in the back room of an ice cream joint in Newfoundland, PA in the early 90s, and for some reason I could swear it was by Atari, which meant I was using the wrong filter when I went looking for it in MAME. Welp, that's that solved.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Freakazoid_ posted:

Looking for a flash game. I don't know when it was made. It's a game modeled after an old electronic handheld game, or at least it was themed that way. You are a knight and you are looking for treasure. You can start anywhere on the grid, but the walls and treasure placement are randomly generated. You cannot see the walls until you bump into them and you cannot see where the treasure is until you're near. When you get near the treasure, a ghost appears but you can't see it. The ghost will attack you if you land near it or it lands near you. The goal is to get the treasure back to your starting point before the ghost can kill you.

This is the flash implementation of the Dungeons and Dragons Computer Labyrinth electronic game

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/65416/flash-computer-labyrinth

unfortunately since flash is mostly broken these days, who knows if it still works properly?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Boris Galerkin posted:

There was a driving game in an arcade cabinet with a steering wheel (not sure about pedals) that I played, maybe around 1995-2000 but I’m not sure anymore cause I was a kid. It was single player and you drove a car that you could pick up upgrades like guns and lasers and shoot other cars with them. I remember there also being a flying drop ship that gave you upgrades occasionally I think. I remember the art style being pixelated/“retro” with 2D sprites instead of 3D.

Does anyone know what game I’m talking about?

Roadblasters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2AegHtFar4&t=11s

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Blueshirt posted:

Yo I played an arcade game about 30 years ago, holy poo poo I'm old, anyway it was a top down shooter. You played as a little army marine looking fella, the first level was some kinda grey industrial zone with big worm monsters everyplace. Also there was a jump button. Holy gently caress this is a vague description.

Until you said "jump button," I was thinking Alien Syndrome, but idk what it could be.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I hate that I'm gonna have to ask about this, and I hate that it's extremely vague. In fact, I may be combining multiple games, or dreaming or hallucinating some of it. Nevertheless, here we go:

A game that had some kind of enemy faction, possibly a cult, holed up in a foundry. It was a large, plain white building, with rubble strewn around it. There was a boss fight or something similar on a circular metal walkway around an open thing of molten whatever. Possibly (probably?) a fallout or borderlands game. PC.

part of my brain that is being unhelpful is insisting it's actually world of warcraft, but I doubt it.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

packetmantis posted:

That sounds like the Forged from Fallout 4. They're a weird cult that lives in the Saugus Ironworks.

That's totally it, thanks.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I posted some games in the white whale thread before realizing that I hadn't posted them here. Here's an edited-down crosspost:

hexwren posted:

• A piece of software, extant circa 1991. An adventure game editing/creation system for DOS. The demo game included on the disk showed a large picture of a classic Grey alien on the screen just staring at you if you died. That scared me enough to ditch the disk at some point.

• A DOS slot machine game, from the same period. I guarantee you this is going to be unfindable because there were a million of these fuckers, but I'm writing it in anyway. I've already looked through some of the games posted on archive.org and I should try again at some point. The two main points: it showed the entire machine, not just the reels, and it was just sitting against a plain blue background.

• A piece of edutainment software about the study of dinosaurs. Played on an Apple IIe in 1989. Every key on the keyboard corresponded to an individual dinosaur, and the software came with an overlay (really, just a floppy sheet of plastic) that you laid on top of the keyboard.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Zathril posted:

Dinosaur Dig?

Definitely that. I think that actually came up on my last search and I dismissed it for some reason, but that's absolutely the one.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Assuming you mean a Lucasarts-style adventure game, I can only think of two DOS-era adventure game editing tools, Adventure Game Studio and Game Builder (Lite/Pro). The sample game for the latter was some pirate thing, but I don't remember what if anything the former had. There was also Adventure Construction Set, but that was more for like Ultima-style RPGs.

Way more primitive than your average SCUMM game; this editor lived on a single (double-sided, maybe) 5 1/4", if memory serves. Eight-bit sprites with primitive walk animations. The scene in the demo was a campfire on a clifftop. My first death was either walking into the campfire or off the edge of the cliff. This was purchased disc-only from an overstock bookstore circa `90-`91, so it is probably from a low- to no-tier dev.

hexwren fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Aug 11, 2021

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Found it, it's called QuestMaker. In the sample game if you walk to the left until you hit the cliff and then step in the fire the alien death screen pops up

https://archive.org/details/QuestMaker

That's absolutely it. The 1993 title screen is a bit too complexly animated to have been in the version I messed around with (so probably from a rerelease), but everything else is dead-on. Thanks!

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Pablo Nergigante posted:

No problem! Yeah it looks like it originally came out in 1991 and had a simpler title screen, this look more familiar?

absolute madelines, yes

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Rinkles posted:

Yup, that was quick. Thanks. Though I pretty distinctly remember the text "Goosey" in large font. Maybe that's just the goose's name.

the Star Goose (spaceship) is piloted by, I kid you not, Scousergitt

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

NAM-1975 maybe?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

life_source posted:

1) A 2D ball rolling top down puzzle game. All I really remember is you controlled a ball in some kind of maze with puzzle elements. There was a custom maze maker so you could make your own mazes to run your ball through. Windows 3.1 pixel art.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rollin_%28video_game%29

Rollin'?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

futzing around with this electron app someone put together that dumps you straight into a working win95 environment and I'm trying to remember a game I played on my own 95 machine way back when

it's a very basic dungeoncrawler, ran specifically in windows (not dos), very limited graphics (but not rogue or a roguelike or anything else that makes you a @), mostly involved clicking on a square grid of rooms (that I think would be numbered minesweeper style to indicate how many rooms nearby had traps in them) and clicking on the attack button and reading the text "you hit the blah for 3 HP, the blah hit you for 2 HP" and the like. I could swear it was named zoltar's dungeon or xaltor's tower or some such stereotypical thing but I can't find anything like it googling around.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

that's the one, thanks folks

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

THE BAR posted:

Curious, this guy just did a video on it in his demo CD series.

I don't watch youtube guys, so it's just coincidence.

I think I did originally get it off a demo cd back in `96, tho

the problem appears to now be getting it to work. found it on archive.org, but the in-browser emulator running dosbox running windows 3.1 running quenzar's was too slow to use and running it in the electron windows thing I mentioned earlier just crashes

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

zombie smashers x.

unplayable on modern machines. tried learning virtual machines to run zsx2 (amongst others) and got nowhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

it wasn't flash, tho, it was just older windows software, idk what kind of support it would need to run again