Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Rujo King posted:

Here's one:

-It was sort of like Oregon Trail, only you were a fur trapper boating your way through the Great Lakes, trying to reach your destination before winter.
-It's an oldie, as I remember playing it on my Commodore 64. Definitely came on 5-1/4" floppy, don't know about tape.
-There were portages, which were like river crossings in Oregon Trail.
-One of the last locations was "Sault Ste. Marie."
-There was this bitching animation of arrows raining down if you happened to piss off the natives.
-Sometimes the natives would be sneaky and give you poisoned berries, at which point a Frenchman in your crew would say, "Sacre!"
This post is from just over 13 years ago, and Rujo King hasn't posted on the forums since late 2020. But this is Voyageur! I played it on C64, too, and enjoyed it enough to track it down and play it emulated all these years later. Here is a playthrough, though the voiceover is a little annoying for my tastes. (Note that you are not able to refuse the gift of poisoned berries. :waycool:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

More potential-answers to old-rear end questions as I work my way through the thread:

Dopefish Lives! posted:

4. Puzzle/strategy game, probably C64/early DOS era judging by the very blocky pixellated graphics. You're shipwrecked on an island and you have to build a shelter, make food, etc. If you took too long, a hurricane hits the island and it's game over. I never was able to avoid the hurricane.
Could this be Windham Classics' Swiss Family Robinson? There's a playthrough of the Apple II version, which looks just about the same, but with some colors swapped around. I loved this game and got to the point where I could speedrun it. It's fun to play even now. Windham Classics titles in general were outstanding. Anyone else remember Below the Root, or their take on Alice in Wonderland?

Veev posted:

There was this game where you start out as this dark skinned demon dude who everyone shits on because he didn't have wings or something? He had a girlfriend that could fly and was a party member, and then halfway through the dude becomes king and that's as far as I ever got. It was grid based combat JRPG, but it was all in 3d. I think it was for the ps2, but maybe for the Gamecube?
Veev, I know you're not active in this thread anymore, but just in case: Could this be Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits on the PS2? One of the two playable main characters is a partially-dark-skinned human-demon (Deimos) mix named Darc who starts with wings that are soon ripped off. He begins as a lowly slave who's mocked incessantly for being a "wannabe Deimos" (since he's half-human). Here's a review that should give you an idea of the game; there are lots of playthroughs out there, too.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Pablo Nergigante posted:

*Chuckles* Oh you mean this?
I still have my copy, too. :kiddo:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I would love the Chrono Trigger and FF6 NP guides but they’re expensive af nowadays…
I have both, plus a kid about to go off to college. Hmm...