Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I'm looking for an indie turn-based medieval squad tactics game, set in a low-fantasy world with graphics vaguely reminiscent of Diplomacy is Not an Option or Kingdoms and Castles:

Except with more trees. Also a big standout feature was destructible terrain with a bomb class which almost played like atomic bomberman. The gameplay was a bit like final fantasy tactics, a little bit.

Anyone have any idea what the game could be? It seemed really fun but it's been a couple years since I saw it.

e: It might not be turn-based, I can't remember anymore.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Nov 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

Both of those seem really neat and pretty close but not quite I think, it was more like a party roguelike or something IIRC. More modern than Myth and more green/woody/slightly less abstract than Tenderfoot. Also had a similarish interface design to those city builder games.

I only remember watching a youtube review/playthrough of it in beta, so not much to go on I know.

I'll post here if I can find it.

e: It seems like it might be this: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1913410/Broken_Tactics/, which should be releasing in a few days? If it ever does.

But I've been unable to find a video of it, maybe it was a beta/prototype under a different name or something. Or another game that is very similar to it.

It was also in a forest with medieval buildings rather than a desert.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Nov 27, 2023

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

The original Mount & Blade too, if you count the early access versions.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

pesty13480 posted:

I played this game maybe ten, fifteen years ago.

There was a kind of stereotypical RPG town with different shops and things, I remember it looking like just a fancy picture with different places you could go into, like you would make your selections on that screen instead of actually wandering through a town.. The central concept was there was some kind of dungeon you had to go into that would re-arrange itself every time you went in. I think there was some kind of aging mechanic. The first dungeon floor I remember was pretty 3D with rooms going above and below other rooms on the same floor, and it was balls to the walls hard. It wasn't anything as old school as a Wizardry title. Felt more like that BBS game Usurper come to life than a standard game.

This is not a lot to go on, sorry.

Sounds like Demise: Ascension?

I'm playing it right now, just last year an expansion/sequel/new version was released called Demise: Revenge of the Tavern Keeper (just as Ascension was a sequel to the Rise of the Ku'uthan, all the previous content is included, but you have to buy it again; also it works better on Windows 10/11).

Aging is a central mechanic to the game, has about the esthetics you're describing, it's pretty drat hard, the dungeon is quite 3D, especially the newer areas and it tends to feel like I'm playing some bad fantasy fiction about virtual reality fantasy games come to life, which is actually pretty cool. There's also a central town like you're describing.

Does not have an entirely rearranging dungeon, but it does get populated/treasured differently each run. Otherwise meets your description I think. The dungeon is also ginormous, easily several hundred hours worth, as you'd expect from a game that's been in development for over 20 years.

e: Am phoneposting right now so sorry about the lack of links and screenshots, I'll edit some in in a bit. You can get a demo of the new version which you can then import into the full game, since it's a bit pricey. Also your old key should still work on the main website, but you won't have access to the new content and a few QoL improvements.

e2: It could also be Mordor 2 which is a prequel to the game from the early 90s that got C&D by the Tolkien Foundation but is still available with some fan patches. The mechanics are mostly identical so if it was that you might consider giving Demise a try too.

e3: This is the official website for it: https://www.decklinsdemise.com/. It hasn't changed much in the last 20 years since it's just one indie dev working on it, but it's fully functional/legitimate. Also even though the purchase says you only get to download the installer for 3 days or whatever, you will get a key in your purchase email that you can then use to download the game and all updates to it (the one I'm playing on is from 28th March 2024, so that's a relevant consideration) from the main site indefinitely. The whole thing is just a bit clunky, about as much as an average grognard strategy game.

e4: It might also be Devil Whiskey from the same dev, he's been remaking the same game for a long time. There's a couple other modern-ish dungeon crawlers like Wizards and Warriors, Might and Magic, Legend of Grimrock, Brany Skeldalu (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWXw-98x3QM), Elminage: Gothic, Etrian Odyssey, Arx Fatalis and Dungeon Lords; for the most part I don't think those would fit your description better, but they do share some of the characteristics.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Apr 7, 2024

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

pesty13480 posted:

Friend, you are 100% right with this, this is exactly the title I was thinking about! I am absolutely head-over-heels in love that you were able to figure this out based on what felt like fever dream memories. Much appreciated for that and the glorious write-up.

If you do decide to give it a go again I'll post a couple useful links below, it can be tricky to find out information about the game these days.

Here is the old SA thread for the game, it's been pain to find when I tried to last month, has some useful tips: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3403552

The official forums are also quite helpful: https://forum.decklinsdomain.info/phpbb/index.php

As is the zimlab fanpage: https://www.zimlab.com/demise/

The internal help pages bundled with the game help as well.

e: One more thing, I had to run the Win 11 compatibility troubleshooter (available from the right click menu on the main "revenge.exe" executable) to get it to work the first time on Windows 11. I haven't had any issues afterwards though. Also you need your windows regional settings set to "English (United States)" otherwise you'll get some text encoding issues; this is pretty common for Japanese games especially so it should be easy to google how to do it if you don't know how.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Apr 7, 2024

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Could it be Wazzal?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

There's also a card based one I can't remember the name of now, but it doesn't run well on modern Windows. e: It's Etherlords and Etherlords 2.

Oh and Warlords 4 maybe.

Another one I can think of is Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes but it's more like Age of Wonders/Civilization.

There's also a few Heroes-likes from Russia, mainly Warlock: Master of Arcane, Warlock 2 and Eador: Genesis.

Then there are games with different gameplay mechanics (mostly combination RTS/TBS) but some similarities like Rage of Mages/Rage of Mages 2/Warlords Battlecry series/Heroes of Annihilated Empires/Magic & Mayhem/Magic & Mayhem: The Art of Magic/Spellforce: Platinum Edition.

Last one that comes to mind is The Battle for Wesnoth, but that's more like fantasy Advance Wars than Heroes to be honest.

e: I think Eador: Genesis might be a good bet out of all of these, it's the most Heroes-like.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 00:24 on May 5, 2024

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

IYKK posted:

Yeah, I had the game on one of those "100 top games" shareware/demo CDs. Perhaps the same as you? Did it have an alien creeping up on a woman on the cover?

There were a whole lot of those - have a look at the list below, maybe you can find it:

https://discmaster.textfiles.com/cd-rom/Shareware%20&%20Freeware.html

Unfortunately the one that was my favourite (SuperHry IV) isn't uploaded online anywhere. I mean it is Czech specific so I don't know how many copies there have been in total, but I and III are both up on archive.org. I did find that someone once sold it on a Czech online auction site, but the listing didn't have a list of the games so I only have my vague memories to go on. It had a bunch of great games though, Blood 2, Exile 1/2/3, Raptor: Call of Shadows, Assault Trooper and some other good ones I've long since forgotten.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 16:35 on May 8, 2024

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

In particular it had this DOS/Win95/98 strategy game that was a bit like Empire 2 but not quite. It might have been Empire 2 but I think it was a clone; it had slightly prettier/chunkier unit icons, but otherwise it was a similar grid-based strategy game with counters. Does anyone have any ideas what it could be?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

It might have been Empire Deluxe! I'll have to track down either the 93 or 02/04 version to see, but the coastal textures look vaguely familiar. I think it was more like a fancier version of Empire 2, I distinctly remember the units being more detailed than just a "tank" or "infantry". Though I could be wrong, it's been a long time.

It's also possible that both games were on the single CD and I am mixing them up together.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 00:28 on May 8, 2024

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Lysandus posted:

I'm trying to remember some game where you shoot and maybe drive a tank. I think there were aiming lines on the screen, maybe a targeting box? I want to say it was WW2 to modern based? It's possible I'm thinking of a Call of Duty level but I feel like it was deeper than an CoD level. Or even worse I'm thinking of a Battlefield game? Have there been some a lot of tank games?

Probably obvious but there's war thunder and world of tanks? Those aside there are a few simmy tank commander ganes, but the only one I remember easily is Sprocket, which is more like KSP for tanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Farg posted:

This one was a demo I played in the mid-aughts. I recall downloading the demo alongside Temple of Elemental Evil demo. It was an isometric RPG with a graphical style very similar to Pillars of Eternity in that the levels are detailed pre-rendered scenes and the characters are 3D models. I only recall one character, a woman with fiery red hair. The only plot beats I recall is that you're at an abandoned castle with a wizard who tells you about the power to shift between realities so the gameplay involved phasing between the real world and spirit world but I don't recall anything else.

Kult: Heretic Kingdoms

It's actually a pretty neat ARPG, you gain skills by using items (each item has some skill associated with it) and as you mention the spirit world shifting is fairly unique.