Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Who What Now posted:

I realized I was describing it wrong. It wasn't like a Dynasty Warriors MMO, with was like a Mount & Blade MMO

https://store.steampowered.com/app/415660/Tiger_Knight/ You probably mean this game? It's a janky f2p chinese M&B clone, definitely fits what you're talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Songbearer posted:

Alright, here's a hard one for you:

Somewhere in the mid to late 90's I played a demo of a game:

Isometric perspective

You controlled a flying ship, the demo level took place in a forest canopy

Your ship - as I recall - was round? Like a torus? And had a big cannon in the center

Graphics were all sprite based, of that I'm convinced

When you fired your gun your ship was affected by recoil and I'm pretty sure you could fire backwards to move faster too

The game's name, I'm pretty certain, has the word "Fire" in it, I keep thinking it's something like "Firefall" or "Flash Fire" or something like that but I'm wrong on those fronts

I know this one easy actually, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrTz2SpsIXA

Fun game.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

Looking for an arcade game I played in the late 90s. It was a two-player air fighter combat game with a pretty decked-out seated cabinet. The unique thing about it was that it was on rails and the players traded who was shooting at who, i.e., it was fixed perspective from the back and you either were shooting or dodging.

I feel like this was a pretty common, maybe well-known game? But after desperate googling over the last few days and I got nothing.

This sounds 100% like Wing War to me.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Mystic Mongol posted:

Looking for a Diablo 2 clone, Japanese themed, it had seven classes and four clans, for a total of 28 playable named samurai. They each had a cute little two sentence background in the instruction manual, which is the only part I interacted with much.

Throne of Darkness! God, I haven't played that since the demo came out, I was just thinking about it the other day wondering if it's any good.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

boston crime stats posted:

Maybe? I don't specifically remember that mechanic, though.

I DO remember that it was super easy to trash your chopper by colliding with the terrain in any way that wasn't a carefully controlled descent. Also, I think you could actually cut power to the main rotor by holding the down arrow once landed.

Thanks for trying, everyone! I guess it really was such a flooded genre that it's pretty hard to nail down entries that weren't well-known.

Check out tiger's bane, I bet it's what you're looking for.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Okay, long shot, but here goes.

I remember playing a first person shooter around the mid nineties that had cartoony black and white graphics, like a comic book. I think it was set in some sort of jail, and the emphasis was more on navigating the maze like levels than combat. I also think that most combat wasn't done with weapons, but by punching and melee. 2.5D, can't have been much more advanced than Ken's Labyrinth.

I played it on a Pentium 1 running Windows 95, as part of one of those European CD-ROMs filled with demos. I remember this disk had a cover that depicted a knight riding a motorcycle, an image which I'm pretty sure they stole from the poster of George Romero's Knight Riders.

The worst part is that I love (obscure) 2.5D shooters, but this one has always escaped me. Does anyone here know?

Maybe Zero Population Count? Definitely fits the aesthetics and timeframe you describe. And it has fisty attacks.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

food court bailiff posted:

Here’s one that I hope is easy- a space shooter from the mid-late 90’s called Hellraiser or Hellblazer or something like that. I remember the cockpit view showed your hand holding a joystick with two buttons that I always thought looked kinda like a goofy floppy-headed muppet leaning around in sync with the game.

Ahh, that's Hellbender!

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

iSurrender posted:

I vaguely recall playing a game that's like the original Dark Orbit (single small plane in 3rd person), but looking more like Starcraft, I *think* there was some crystal collection involved as well, but maybe my mind has just created this fake-memory mashup. Anyone recognize this?

PC, must have been roughly 20 years ago.
I never played Dark Orbit, but hmm, maybe it was Firefight? Your next post about it being on a planet made me think of it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrTz2SpsIXA

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

ZearothK posted:

Hey, I am trying to remember, I believe, a freeware high score game from a top down perspective where you were some sort of Space Marine dude fighting endless waves of aliens. I want to say mid-early noughties? Any ideas?

Maybe Phobia 2? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9eaU-Fj0xo

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

quote:

Oh man I used to play this one, or at least a version of it, so much. You had different types of missiles, and missiles that could shoot down other missiles, and ground defense, and you could send your metal guys to the opponent island to cause havoc. Really good game.

e: Although actually looks sorta different from the one I'm thinking of.
It sounds to me like you're remembering Metal Marines.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Hyper Inferno posted:

There was an educational game I played when I was younger, probably early/mid 90s that had a variety of minigames that you could play. I think the main screen was a room full of toys and the main characters of the game were anthromorphic animals? The minigame I remember the most was one where aliens were invading and you had to hit notes on a keyboard that corresponded to the notes that showed up on the aliens. The game eventually got really difficult because it would go into things with 7 sharps/flats and kid me couldn't keep up with those key signatures.

Yo, this is Lenny's Music Toons. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuVhIQPgkJc

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Kobal2 posted:

I swear this game exists (and has been at least partially LP'd on this forum years and years ago) but my Google fu sucks apparently. Or possibly Google sucks now.

It was a Russian squad-based tactics game, either turn-based or RTWP. Typical russian hard-as-balls one-bullet-cripples-you stuff. Probably not officially translated but there was a fan translation I think. Based on some Russian survivalist novels I believe, the setting is your usual post-Soviet post-apocalypse minus the apocalypse - no nuclear war or alien catastrophe à la Metro ; just your ordinary complete societal collapse, AK bullets used as currency, bandits and marauders everywhere, the Red Army still holding a couple cities but most of the country is a wild west free for all.

You start controlling just the one person, who's an ex-army guy turned survivalist, he's claimed an appartment building for himself (and maybe his wife as well ? I'm not too sure) and goes around scavenging, gets into scrapes with bandits and so on. I remember that at some point you have to defend your building from a big horde of barely armed locals because you're hoarding all the food and they're starving. Then you get to know and train a young rookie who may or may not be an army deserter, and at some point you're contacted by the military to do Something, explore an abandonned mine or something like that. The details escape me at this point and I think that's where the LP died out.

ETA : oh, it was probably released somewhere in the 2000s - 3D graphics, I think full 3D but might have been isometric, pretty sure the models were 3D rather than sprites ; so clearly later than Jagged Alliance 2 ; around the Silent Storm era I would say.

Could it maybe be 7,62: High Calibre? Man of Prey like Zathril suggests is another good guess.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

ZeusCannon posted:

Does anyone remember a game with simple topdown asteroid like wireframe graphics where you could fly around and land on planets and conquer them? You could build spacestations to land on and other stuff. It had AI doing the same thing youd have to combat.

I think I know what you mean, could it be Gravity Well 3.5?

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

ZeusCannon posted:

Thats loving it. I think I had a demo on a school computer or something and so i could never play far into it but really enjoyed it at the time so ive always wondered / cursed my brain for forgetting.

Thanks!

When I was getting that screenshot I found a screenshot of the demo disc that I played it on myself back in the day, amusingly.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

KennyMan666 posted:

Sort of vague, but a game I randomly half-remembered when reading about Rise of the Robots: A robot fighting game with 3D graphics on PC, which I would have played in the mid-90s. I really don't remember any further details about it, but if the game I think I'm remembering existed, it absolutely had polygon graphics, so it wasn't One Must Fall.

Dang, that's tricky, the closest I can find is FX Fighter, which only has like a single robot, but it does have actual polygonal graphics. Doesn't happen to be the one does it?

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

emSparkly posted:

A game with vector graphics where the player character is a stick figure. I swear it was a real vector graphics based game and not one stylized to look that way. So it's probably old as dirt.

I hope it's a real game and not something I saw on a video.

Not a lot to go on, so I'll throw out Major Havoc as a guess, because it's a cool vector game and your character is pretty stick like in anything vector based. It's a rad one imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94j4u6ztiKc

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Maybe it was Tenderfoot Tactics? It's sorta got the graphical vibe, and has destructible terrain and turnbased tactical rpg stuff. https://store.steampowered.com/app/1061610/Tenderfoot_Tactics/

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

A fantasy beat'em'up game around the DOS era, for PC, traditional isometric perspective but single screen. Notable feature was having an overworld map with a dragon on it that you could fight.

Sounds to me like Moonstone: A Hard Days Knight maybe? It definitely has a dragon that you don’t wanna run into on the world map. https://youtu.be/i6M9_h_2rgA?si=x0N06Cf2suhhWJ4e
it’s quite fun IMO!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

ilmucche posted:

Gamehippo was a great site. I played so so so many games from there, there were a lot of really good ones

They had a lot of obscure goodies in their heydey, I'd played through nearly every game on the site at some point. I had awful dial up so little freeware games had really strong appeal.