Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
You might also be thinking of Legacy of the Wizard? It doesn't display equipment the way you describe, but it does show your current equipped item.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

THE BAR posted:

One big difference with Krypton Egg is the enemies and Gradius-like boss battles.

Arkanoid?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

THE BAR posted:

It didn't switch perspective, did it? But yes, they're all very derivative.

Oh, that's what you meant by "Gradius-like", I see. No, Arkanoid was always a top-down game.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Oh man, when I heard the description I thought of this game, but I couldn't remember its name! All I could think of was Oryx (who makes royalty-free tilesets for use in making games) and Onyx (which is of course a hopelessly generic term to search for).

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Transcendence is still being developed! Very slowly. It's on Steam, even!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

FFT posted:

I didn't like the linear nature of Transcendence but it was fun to play at least

It may help if you think of it like a classic dungeoncrawler roguelike. Each system is one level deeper into the dungeon, and the ship you choose at the start of the game is your class/race.

It's definitely an atypical structure for the top-down 2D space genre.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
A Commodore 64 game where, I think, you had to touch each tile of a board. Conceptually similar to Q-Bert in that sense, but the board was flat (or at any rate didn't have nearly as much verticality as Q-Bert), and the gimmick was that you could be either on top of the board or underneath it. I think there was a kangaroo involved somehow?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
That's got to be it, thank you! I'd completely forgotten about the monkey, but as soon as I saw it I went "oh yeah! And there was a monkey and it was loving impossible to tell which tile it was on!"

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
This is gonna be a weird one: I dimly remember there being a TAS (tool-assisted speedrun) of a game that made use of a developer cheat code that required resetting the game a whole bunch of times, like 10 or more. This would have been on an early game console, like NES, SNES, Genesis, something from roughly that era. Presumably the code was to unlock a super-hard mode or something else that would be interesting to TAS.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

ultrafilter posted:

Zanac for the NES had a stage select you could access by hitting the reset button 13 times.

That's probably it, thanks!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Total stab in the dark, but maybe Starship Titanic?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
PC game, probably came out 10-ish years ago. 2D gameplay, 3D presentation; genre was precision platformer. You played as a little kid with a baseball cap, who was trying to take the bus home or something, but got roped into some planetary rebellion scheme, I think. Also something about stars? I remember you'd flip your baseball cap backwards for boss fights.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

moller posted:

Is this Heart of Darkness?

No, it was a 2D precision platformer. I want to say it used a lot of ambient occlusion in its rendering, so lots of "soft" lighting. In general not a very threatening-looking aesthetic, but quite difficult to play.

A goon did a Let's Play of it; I want to say it was voiceofdog, but I can't find a playlist on their YouTube channel.

EDIT: I dug through my Steam library and found it. The game's name is Pid.

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jan 11, 2023

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
MDK does have some variety to its environments, so it's possible they're remembering a level or part of a level that was brighter. There weren't a lot of games for the Mac back then, let alone 3D ones with a character with a gun for an arm.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
A game for, I think, the Xbox, that was a third-person game where you ran around different more-or-less realistically scaled environments as a human male. It was Let's Played on these forums at one point. The main thing I remember was that it had comically huge hamburgers which your character could eat. Like, they were bigger than the protagonist's head. I think the protag would hold them in one hand and animate moving them up to his mouth and then they'd disappear.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Archenteron posted:

Disaster: Day of Crisis? It was for the Wii, but comedically huge hamburgers were in it.

Yeah, that looks right, thank you!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Ben Nerevarine posted:

PC game, indie, not sure if it ever officially released. It was an 1v1 fps arena shooter with simplistic, colorful graphics where the main gimmick was that each player’s main mode of traversal was a grappling hook. Maps often featured big horizontal spans, like bridges, whose main function was to provide something to grapple onto, and you could get up to pretty ludicrous speeds with repeated grapples/swings. I want to say the players were spiders, or robotic spiders.

Could this be SpiderHeck?

(oh dang, glad to see that game's still getting updates)

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Hwurmp posted:

Katana Zero

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I remember a program along similar lines, for Macs, called "Gravitation".

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
The art style is also very similar to Seiken Densetsu 3, the second SNES Mana game. Or, y'know, Secret of Mana, the one everyone knows about.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
There was a PC game that was, like, "this unspecified threat with a weird name (that is the name of the game) is coming for this town in 3 weeks, what do you have your heroes do in that time?" and it was options like fight in the arena, work at the hospital, hunt down criminals, tend a garden, etc. All just choosing options from a list, and getting illustrations and text describing what happens. At the end, the threat would come in and you'd probably fail to stop it, but your heroes might still be able to help the town rebuild afterwards.

It was a game of building an implied narrative out of disconnected elements, I'd say, plus admiring some nicely-made illustrations. Someone LP'd it on SA once (in the last decade, probably?), a one-and-done with no replays to see how things might have turned out differently.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Yep, that was it, thank you!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Your description sounded kind of similar to The Last Federation, for what it's worth. Obviously not the correct game, but you control a single precursor ship, trying to wrangle a bunch of bickering aliens into making nice with each other. This can (and likely will) involve wiping out some of the factions, assassinating leaders, stealing techs from one faction to give to another, and a bunch of other 4X-adjacent conceptions. There's no contagion or colonization systems, though.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Shine posted:

Welp, time to reinstall Star Control II.

Proceed! What you are doing is correct. No need to question why you do this thing.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Even if it isn't Starcom: Nexus you should play that game, because it's very good.

Do you remember any details beyond what you've already said? When did you play it? What were the graphics like? Was it fast-paced, slow? Did you interact with planets much, and if so in what way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Starcom does have an unlockable jump drive, in addition to wormhole gates and just pointing your ship in a direction and waiting awhile. I don't recall if anyone passes comment on any of these as being strange, though.