Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Perspective was sideways, but it was tile-based, movement was confined to said tiles. Not really a platformer, more like a puzzle game, but there were enemies too. You were... Something, and tried to reach the exit. There were some tiles which were blue and you could eat them, but if you ate one directly below something explosive, the explosive crashed on to you and well exploded. You could also form stairs with the blue ones and roll explosives to destinations. On the PC.

I really can't describe it any better. I'll try to paint a picture if possible.

Also, this one is probably easier: XBox (original) game, kart racer, you had the usual weapons, as well as a baseball bat you could use at any time. Also taunts and stunts IIRC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Jimbo Jaggins posted:

This could be any number of Boulderdash clones.

I know, that's what makes it hard to find. The aesthetic was futuristic-ish, with blue red and green stuff on black backgrounds.

And the kart game isn't Cel Damage. A quick google pins it as Furious Karting, and it's as good as I remembered it (pretty mediocre), according to the review I hit.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Jimbo Jaggins posted:

It was probably RoX from Sarosoft then.

:aaaaa: That's exactly what it was. Thank you so much, I'd been trying to find what it is for ages.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

mango sentinel posted:

Darkwing Duck?

I don't think you had arrows in Darkwing Duck. But Alligator's game sounds familiar, I just can't place it :negative:

VV Oh right. I seem to remember a game in which the arrows you can step on was a major mechanic, but no name for it.

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Sep 20, 2013

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Here's a tough one for the thread.
A really drat old flash game, one of the bike ones with the physics and the things. One of the first levels was totally green, and the very last was a super difficult black-gray looking futuristic map. Not much to go on, and there were tons of these games but it is pretty good.

Were there different buttons to enable different "colours" like if you had Red you'd go on red floor, but not on any other?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Deltasquid posted:

Ah, no, it isn't. I've played HoMM and it definitely wasn't one of those (as it was real-time, not turn-based).

As for the year, uh. Definitely in the 2002-2010 range, but I really can't narrow it down.

Maybe Warlords Battlecry 2? You said it wasn't 3, but maybe?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Deltasquid posted:

It's not Rise of Legends (I have that installed :v:) and it doesn't seem to be Warlords Battlecry II. All of the units in the warlords series seem so... Plastic, I guess? When I remember detailed sprites.

I'll see if it's Dragonshard.

EDIT: hmmm, doesn't seem to be that either.

Wait you're saying sprites... Battle of Wesnoth maybe?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

al-azad posted:

It was kind of a sleeper hit and pretty popular among the hardcore crowd for about 5 minutes until Warcraft 3 came out. TimeGate Studios went on to make the critically acclaimed AAA blockbuster Colonial Marines and they filed for bankruptcy shortly after because Gearbox paid them too well for their year of work.

2000-2004 saw a few alternative RTS releases like Kingdom Under Fire, Metal Fatigue, Stronghold, ORB, Hegemonia, Battle Realms, and even a Lord of the Rings game based on the books that was Warcraft 3 with the serial numbers filed off.

Speaking of that era of strategy games, do you happen to recall the name of a tactical game in which you could use tanks and the like? I don't recall much, it just had a lot of customization, and the theme was guerilla/rebellion or the like.
Also, there was a card-based TBS, which I can't recall the name of, but I really don't remember anything about it, except it was fantasy-themed, and part of a series (sequel I think).

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

al-azad posted:

C&C Generals is the only Guerrila themed RTS of that era I can think of. The other game is likely Etherlords or its sequel.

I'm not sure if it was RTS, from the screenshots it looked more like a tactical game, possibly turn-based, or maybe with a pause button?

And yeah, pretty sure it was Etherlords, thanks.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

techknight posted:

Trying to remember a game where the character's model or portrait in the creation screen would barf if you spun it's gaze around a bunch. No other information, but was just reminded of it when spinning a character around in an MMO creation screen.

It could be Black And White? I know that the two faces would do weird things if you fiddled about, so maybe?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Famethrowa posted:

There was a cartoony racing game for the ps2 that I read reviews for and always wanted to try. It was inspired by Wacky Races and I distinctly remember review sites mentioning how when you drove off a cliff, you would do that Tex Avery thing where you float for a moment before plunging to your death.

Was it maybe Cel Damage? I know it had a cartoony style, but I'm not sure on the rest.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Minrad posted:

Trying to remember an old (probably about a decade or more) isometric MMO. It looked like a Diablo clone and I was reminded of it when I saw this picture

for a game called Darkeden; however, I'm fairly certain this isn't actually the game I'm looking for, though the art style was very similar; I can remember the layout of the starting area very well and everything I've seen for Darkeden looks different. I can't remember many details, but I do remember that the game had mining that involved clearing caves block by block, sort of like Dwarf Fortress. The name might've had something like Pagan in the title and had a very Diablo setting that involved fighting demons and monsters. Ring a bell for anybody?

Could it be Mu Online? That UI feels kind of vaguely familiar.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

circ dick soleil posted:

A browser game where you had a map of things that happen during your lifetime and you could choose multiple choices from each of them and you'd grow up from a baby to an old person and then die. As a baby, a furry man with bad breath walks up to you and licks your face (actually a dog) and when you're a preteen you can choose to go to school wearing a dog collar and answer to the name 'Fido Rex'. There were a lot of other important dog-related life events too.

As duckfarts said, it's Alter ego.

http://www.playalterego.com/alterego

I'm not sure if there's another version around but this the one I know.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Just Offscreen posted:

This has been driving me crazy! It was a windows 95 game- or something from about that era. It was a simulation game- but it was for an office environment, but it could also have manufacturing equipment and such in it. You hired workers and created and sold items. It had a one word name- something about business, or some kind of business lingo. It wasn't by maxis or any company I can remember.

Capitalism, possibly? I've played Capitalism 2 and it's kind of similar, you make and sell and buy stuff. Don't think specific workers played a part though.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

I got it into my head to remember the names of two games I barely remember.

One of them was an isometric game with similar perspective and UI to Fallout, or Silent Storm, but set I think during the Cold War? It was more tactical, and to my knowledge there were no party members. The first mission or the tutorial took place on a train, and I played the game in the mid 2000s, it came free with a Greek PC magazine (PC World I want to say, which I think was founded in 2005 if it narrows it down). I seem to recall a bolt-action rifle as a weapon, but I'm not 100% set on that.

The other one I haven't managed to play, but I remember screenshots detailing a very customizable tank, and similarly very customizable units. I believe it took place during some sort of rebellion, or insurgency, and was possibly a tactical game, or a third person shooter? I don't recall any actual gameplay screenshots, just ones of the customization screens, with the tank having a whole bunch of slots for stuff, and similarly a human with a number of items to be carried/equipped, including a medikit.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

No not Hammer and Sickle. The graphics looked better than that, and I don't think there was any character creation.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

A stranger was asking on my Facebook page about a game. Here's what I know:

-PS2
-The graphics were good, she likened it to Tomb Raider in general look/gameplay
-Protagonist was a brunette little girl (8-9), with some sort of monster/creature that was smaller than her, as a sidekick
-Fairly kiddy, but again, with good/realistic graphics
-Took place in a dark forest, with snow and all that, but also had some buildings (graveyard-ish?)
-More exploration than outright horror
-not one of the following: Jade Cocoon 2, Silent Hill, American McGee's Alice, Haunting Ground, Clock Tower, Lemony Snicket, Fatal Frame, Castleween, Siren.

Does it ring any bells? I generally like "help us figure a game out" stuff but this has me outright stumped.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

I can think of a few things that fit most but none that fit everything. Primal or Rule of Rose?

She says it's a bit like Rule of Rose, story-wise. Specifically, how the girl is suddenly in the forest. But the girl is different, and the graphics are a little older.

VV: Yeah, very much so, I think it even was mentioned that it wasn't cartoony graphics.

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Dec 10, 2017

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

al-azad posted:

Show her this video from Primal because all the points, except it involving a child, are on point. People were even comparing the main character to Lara.

Yep, it was Primal, she was just looking at the wrong footage when I first mentioned it to her. Thanks :D Says she loves ya

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Kaubocks posted:

nope, none of these, sorry.

seems like you two are talking about the same game? in which case, this is definitely warmer on the hot/cold spectrum. from what my memory serves it was a tube-style racing game where turning wasn't really up to you and you just had to loop around the screen to avoid obstacles. i really only remember one vehicle, which was blue falcon f-zero esque but more rounded i guess, and it believe the vehicles flew rather than being close to the ground. i also don't remember the framerate being too great but i mean who knows

it wasn't stun runner, though; and it was definitely a PC game. i didn't really have access to arcades as a kid and i remember having to boot it up through either a command prompt or through DOS.

fwiw, and this is almost entirely unhelpful, i remember getting the game at the same time as an al unser jr racing game; so the future racing game i'm thinking of may have come out around the same time?

I know it's not that, but for some reason you're reminding me of a Net Yaroze game called Between The Eyes, but if it was that you'd probably remember the headaches

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Shanty posted:

An rpg of some sort that appeared as a shareware version on a MacFormat CD at some point in the nineties. Top down grid deal, looked a lot like Exile or Odyssey, but I can't for the life of me think of any distinguishing features other than this:
You could... select you main characters sprite... somehow? And one of the options looked a lot like Batman. Which I think was incongruous.

Maybe one of the enemies was a rabbit?

I have found and made peace with most of my other nightmare memories of interminable shareware and demo games, but this one eludes me.

Kind of a long shot, but could it be Castle of the Winds? Top down RPG, on a grid... Not sure about the sprite though

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Rookersh posted:

Here's one I'm struggling to figure out.

All I remember is you fall into an old mine/cave. Very Spyro looking crystals everywhere, being mined out. I remember it as being either part of Jak 1, or around that era, so 2001ish.

After you fall into the mine, it's got a little hub area? maybe? and then you take a minecart around and you have a minecart sequence. You maybe collect stuff above the minecart by jumping.

I could have sworn it was Jak 1, but no dice. It's not Jak 2/3 because it wasn't an "edgy" game, it was a light hearted game in those veins.

I was thinking maybe Ratchet and Clank, but no dice there either. You do "fall into" this mine from above, and it was a fairly linear game.

Am I crazy? Is this Jak 1. What's happening.

Almost certainly not it, but I distinctly remember falling into areas in Croc or Croc 2.
There were Spyro ish gems around as well. I don't recall a mine cart but I've only ever played the demos of them

Edit: Beaten by someone from the future

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

The one game I recognize, and someone (awful.) beat me to the punch.

I remember giving that a try, I couldn't figure it out. Seemed like you had to think outside of way too many boxes for my little teen brain.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Tempura Wizard posted:

I want to make sure I'm not losing my mind but the search engines give me nothing: I seem to recall some game that was sent to reviewers encased inside of meat, like ground beef or a steak or something, which the reviewers had to then extract from the pile of meat before they could play it. This seems like a very 00's thing to do, but it could have been earlier or later than that. Anyone got any ideas?

That sounds a lot like something Acclaim would do. I was able to find Resident Evil 6 (not Acclaim, obviously) which had a promo event pretending to sell human meat, including sending meat labeled as human meat to reviewers? https://www.svg.com/146628/video-game-promotions-that-totally-backfired/

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

I remember playing a game, I believe it was the demo, around 10-15 years ago (very rough timeframe). You were this little spaceship-looking shooter, and you could rotate within the edges of a round playfield. There was no depth to the playfield (not like that one shooter), but instead you shot what was like, germs or organisms inside basically a petri dish. Does that ring a bell to anyone? I tried a few keyword searches but I'm getting flash games and irrelevant results more than anything useful

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Pierzak posted:

Like Tempest, but you didn't move the ship around but had a fixed gun and rotated the dish instead? That definitely wasn't a flash game. I think I still have it somewhere.

Yeah vaguely like Tempest, view-wise, but there wasn't any depth to it. I'm pretty sure you rotated the ship around the dish itself, but I could be wrong, I think I only ever played the demo.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Splicer posted:

Oh and timeframe is badly off but P-3 Biotic

P-3 Biotic is the closest, and it came up in my search, but it definitely wasn't as flashy (and it definitely was before 2016). I drew up a small mockup of sorts of what I remember:

Your ship (black triangle) would move around the perimeter (grey ring) and shoot inside the petri dish, to the germs or microbes (blue). I recall an upgrade that let you get a second shooter on the opposite end so they'd rotate together, and maybe the game has Doctor in the title? Definitely not Spheres of Chaos, you very specifically were attached to the rim of the petri dish.

Well drat I found it, it was Dr. Blob's Organism https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZNcul4DJiM

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Nov 23, 2020

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Pierzak posted:

Motherfucker, I specifically searched for blob and didn't found it. Great job!

If it's any consolation, it's free now. A 600 MHz or better processor is recommended, and 32M of hard drive space: http://www.digital-eel.com/organism/

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

FanaticalMilk posted:

Trying to remember the name of a flash game:

Remember it was black and white, had cats, and was as sidescroller. Also, I don't think it was American in origin and I played it on Newgrounds, I think.

The only thing I've been able to find is a similar post on reddit that's 4 years old with no replies:

https://www.reddit.com/r/FlashGames/comments/4xfpc2/catmouse_gangster_side_scroller/

I think you may be thinking of Battle Cats (I think I have it on my old phone I'll check in the morning)
Where you spawn minimal-animé style cats and fight an enemy base which also spawns similar cars? Can't check your link now to confirm if it's like they

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Got a real headscratcher from a friend.

- very old game, DOS or Amiga
- sidescrolling platformer
- psychedelic visuals and audio design, bordering on acid trip
- player character with 'abnormal proportions' who may or may not be a clown, specifically he remembers them having a clownlike face and a detachable head
- he's pretty sure footage of it does exist on YouTube somewhere, he just can't remember the name

Platform is different (SNES), but detachable parts were a thing in Plok! for the SNES

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWdJanRQwO8

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

I've had a specific game stuck in my head for a while, might as well ask.

An artillery game, two player (probably had a 1P vs computer mode), two cannons, a red and a green one, indicated just by flags, and what you could do is just set your angle with a number and your power, no mouse dragging and dropping. I remember the prompt looking like a basic Windows prompt. This would've been around Windows 98ish, so late 90s, but the game felt old even by then. I'm mostly curious on the name, as the game was incredibly simple, no weapons, just the shots. Terrain was randomly generated I want to say.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Yep, it was Bang Bang! Release date of 1990 sounds about right, it was dated even when I played it, but thank you both for helping me satisfy that curiosity.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Pierzak posted:

Another thing, since we had a piracy chat recently, I remember some game like 10(?) years ago where the dev, having learned about pirate copies of his work floating around, not only didn't get publicly pissed off but actually posted a "pirate edition" torrent of his game on Pirate Bay or similar site. Anyone remember what that was?

Timeframe is a bit off, but I think the devs of Hotline Miami put the game up on Pirate Bay themselves at some point?

Edit: well, the first Hotline Miami game came out in 2012 so not too far off on the time

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Speaking of cool shmups, does anyone remember a browser shmup where the upgrades would include things like better graphics or audio, or even achievements and the like?

VV: yep, don't even need to look it up, the name alone does it. Nice

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Oct 27, 2021

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Manager Hoyden posted:

I used to play an old hacking RPG and can't remember the name of it. It had a very Windows 3.1 interface to it and every hacking job had your avatar entering a random computer dungeon using programs like spells. The dungeon part felt a lot like Castle of the Winds.

What am I thinking of?

I was going to say Uplink but that has nothing to do with CotW

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

chairface posted:

The shelby cobra's not a convertible. It's open top. :getin:

The Cobra was from Age of Empires 2 and had machine guns (I believe "howdoiturnthison" was the code), the convertible of non-specific make and model with the rocket launcher was "bigdaddy" from the first game :goonsay:

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

trying to find a game i asked for previously

Castle of the Winds

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Someone is posting about a game on twitter and its feeling awfully familiar

Vertical cabinet arcade game, not a shmup, but an action RPG, you fight enemies on foot, spells and swords and stuff. Had multiple playable characters, from the 90s.

Im sure I've read about it but the name is coming up blank

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

No, skinnier cabinet, and it wasn't warfare themed they say. Also in 2D, so more sprite based I'd think?

Edit: not Gate of Doom or Dark Seal either

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 10:44 on May 31, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

IYKK posted:

Was it something like King of Dragons or one of the dungeon & dragons arcade games?

Those were all sidescrollers right? I believe this was more vertical