Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
Cross-posting from the Retro Gaming Megathread, where I was kindly informed of this thread's existence.

Please help me remember the name of this game:

DasNeonLicht posted:

• Point-and-click shooter, with a static field of play, and baddies emerging from cover — very Lethal Enforcers in that way, down to photo-realistic animations of the bad guys
  • It opened with an cinematic intro (video, not CGI) about how this bus full of bloodthirsty convicts (like, these guys seemed really mean) had overpowered their guards and somehow gotten ahold of a lot of guns, and it was now your job to gun down every last one of them like dogs
  • I think it had a rural or small-town setting
  • This would have been late 1996 or 1997. I'm pretty sure it was a PC application run through Windows, not DOS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

John Murdoch posted:

Yeah I would immediately look through the American Laser Games catalog if it was entirely FMV-based.

It was grittier and less tongue-in-cheek than any of the American Laser Games or Crime Patrol. Gameplay was not FMV, but the intro was filmed and the bad guy sprites (?) seemed photo-generated.

I think you had an opportunity to pick up automatic weapons

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib
Reached into the recesses of my memory for the title — it was something shocking like Bloodbath...

Search turned up Bloodbath at Red Falls — definitely the game I remember

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qj99zWRtvyw

With the intro cinematic here: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2ozxe1

Thanks for talking through it with me!

DasNeonLicht fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jul 3, 2019

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib
I was hospitalized as a kid around 2000 for something, and I remember my mom buying me a copy of PC Gamer to cheer me up — I think it came with a CD full of demos the family computer couldn't run.

One of the games reviewed / advertised in the magazine was a sort of top-down, isometric gang simulator. It was not Gangsters: Organized Crime, but something set in the present day, with an "urban" setting, drugs with cR4Zy names you could take to boost your stats, and an overall aesthetic that would probably be considered slightly offensive today. I think there were prostitutes? Maybe it was a poor man's GTA for the time, more focused on turf management.

Thanks to anyone who can remember.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

That was it! Thank you.

I love this thread.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

Light Gun Man posted:

Remaster Yoda Stories.

oh man — I spent way too many hours playing this on our lovely family PC — one of the few things it could run

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Nah, the crazy visuals are apparently a major forefront of the game in a "you'll know it when you see it" kind of way. Something vaguely like this.

jfc

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib
folks / twitter addicts in the thread might enjoy this DOS retro gaming account

it puts little bits of nostalgia and things you didn't know you had forgotten in your feed — strictly titles, years, publishers, and screencaps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib
I am trying to remember the name of a 2D free game where you controlled a starship that floated from planet to planet picking up and dropping off colonists while battling over territory in space

I remember the game seemed to have pretty detailed readouts of the population and resources on each planet — the trick was to keep your civilization booming while keeping your rivals down. you could use heavy nukes to wipe out your enemies' colonies or slowly infect them to death with bio weapons, keeping the planet's resources intact. you could also infect your enemy's ships, and they would spread contagion at every planet they visited, along with their colonists. you controlled only one ship and it was a little bit of a challenge not to let your rivals sneak into your territory behind your back while you were busy elsewhere

the tone of the game was irreverent — I want to say the graphics were on the cartoony side. but fairly polished, windowed play for 2002/2003

I was a big GameHippo hound in high school in the aughties — it might have been available on the site or not

thanks for any help — I love this thread

edit:

nailed it, thanks!!

vvv

DasNeonLicht fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Mar 27, 2024