Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rereedrumr
Sep 11, 2006
We Are Re-Ree
FYI: The Film Crew movies on Hulu:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/25596/film-crew-hollywood-after-dark
http://www.hulu.com/watch/28489/film-crew-giant-of-marathon
http://www.hulu.com/watch/28487/film-crew-wild-women-of-wongo

And the version of Star Wars Holiday Special they used for the RiffTrax:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=323909610753051544

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rereedrumr
Sep 11, 2006
We Are Re-Ree

guvnor posted:

I'd be willing to pitch in on just about anything, as long as it was properly cheesy to begin with (the original 'Troll,' perhaps?).

This could be a great idea because I bet a lot of people already own the Troll/Troll 2 DVD combo cuz of the Lowtax riff on Troll 2. I have it but still have never seen the original Troll

rereedrumr
Sep 11, 2006
We Are Re-Ree
If a goon riff is going to happen, there should probably be some sort of division of labor, just to avoid what happened on the Batman & Robin fan written RiffTrax where everybody quit before they got to the end and there were minute long gaps between jokes.

Soliciting volunteers, then dividing the movie up among them might be the easiest way to work, and people could then contribute any thing additional outside of their section that they wanted to. Troll is only 82 minutes, so if you got 20 volunteers everyone would only need to be responsible for 4 minutes.

rereedrumr fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Aug 21, 2008

rereedrumr
Sep 11, 2006
We Are Re-Ree
Spider-Man 2 just announced on the RiffTrax Forum, with guest riffer The Comics Curmudgeon, whose blog is loving hilarious: http://joshreads.com

rereedrumr
Sep 11, 2006
We Are Re-Ree
This hulu synching has amazing possibilities, because Hulu could provide a way to do riffable movies that nobody owns. Example, all three Karate Kids are up there now, along with Xanadu, Planet of the Apes and Code of Silence starring Chuck Norris.

Edit: They'll have to find a way to allow full screen though, the Hulk riff is great, but needs to be bigger.

rereedrumr
Sep 11, 2006
We Are Re-Ree

Captain Charisma posted:

It's not just Shia LeBouf, it's the script, it's Megan Fox, it's John Turturro, it's the mom and dad, it's every goddamn scene with humans.

Good thing every minor character is coming back for the sequel!

rereedrumr
Sep 11, 2006
We Are Re-Ree
Anybody listened to DRAG ME TO HELL yet, aka where the gently caress was Bruce Campbell?

Only two week to the Wierd Al xmas show. I'm going to the Tysons Corner AMC in virginia http://www.ncm.com/Fathom/Comedy/RiffTrax_Xmas.aspx?utm_source=RiffTrax_RTxmas&utm_medium=HomepageLink&utm_campaign=RTxmas_Fathom%2BPage

Also, where was Ted Raimi in DMTH? Serious question, he was in the credits as a Doctor but you never saw him. Wonder if that gets pointed out in the riff.

rereedrumr
Sep 11, 2006
We Are Re-Ree
Interesting, I didn't know that "Off Screen cameos" were something that existed.

I watched Drag Me To Hell, thought it was drat funny. Lots of The happening references.

Mike: More leaves blowing in the wind? I'm shocked nobody has asked her if she likes hhhhhawt dogs.

Bill: hhhhhhawt dogs...

rereedrumr
Sep 11, 2006
We Are Re-Ree

Anaximander posted:

Ok, maybe I'm retarded but I can't for the life of me get this god damned thing to play. My friend used to play them all the time with no issue but when I tried myself it will not work. Any advice for a computer inept person such as myself?

What are you having trouble playing? RiffTrax are just normal Mp3s.

rereedrumr
Sep 11, 2006
We Are Re-Ree
Just enter your zip code in the top right corner of this page:

http://www.fathomevents.com/originals/event/rifftrax_giantkiller.aspx

And it will show you the theaters that are broadcasting the event, and you can buy tickets then.

rereedrumr
Sep 11, 2006
We Are Re-Ree

GreenNight posted:

Tickets on sale to general public 7/15

:argh:

No, they are on sale for everyone. The "insider" thing is needlessly confusing. There's not a password or anything. It was just a way of making it seem exclusive.

rereedrumr
Sep 11, 2006
We Are Re-Ree

Cubemario posted:

Where's the changelog?

It's a completely new version, built from the ground up. It doesn't have anything to do with the first, crappy player from several years ago.

rereedrumr
Sep 11, 2006
We Are Re-Ree

MassRayPer posted:

Laser Mission has one of my favorite bad soundtracks ever. I sing along to the theme song whenever I watch it.

Does a single song played a dozen times throughout the movie really count as a soundtrack?

rereedrumr
Sep 11, 2006
We Are Re-Ree

IUG posted:

"Well, we found it. The Santa and the Ice Cream Bunny of horror films."

So the movie wanders off into some other plot that's told by another person entirely?

Sadly, yes

IUG posted:

Do we not see Bigfoot until the very end of the movie when he takes the narrator away?

Sadly, yes

rereedrumr
Sep 11, 2006
We Are Re-Ree
Hey guys, rare poster but long time lurker (ever since Lowtax recorded Troll 2 with us), but my name is Conor Lastowka and I'm a writer for RiffTrax. I just thought you guys might be interested in a novel I just wrote and published. It's called Gone Whalin', it's about a college kid who starts waking up on a 1800s whaling ship every other day, and if you like RiffTrax, I bet it'll make you laugh.

Here's the trailer, which Mike was nice enough to narrate. Hopefully some people will have seen the source material, otherwise it probably just comes across as pretty weird:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ys7FasgNxuw

Anyways, it's available in paperback and kindle (just 2.99 for kindle!) http://amzn.to/178kKdm

If you'd like to read the first three chapters for free, you can at http://gonewhalin.com

That's it! Hope you'll check it out and enjoy it. Oh, and we just released Ghost House on DVD, so get that too: http://www.rifftrax.com/dvds/ghosthouse

If you have any questions or RiffTrax suggestions, I'll pop back in over the next few days. Thanks for all your support over the years! It's always fun to read this thread after a new release and especially after a live show. Now I'm off to get a bowl of chili. Kim Basinger is hotter than Kelly LeBrock, no matter what those idiots in Denver say.

rereedrumr
Sep 11, 2006
We Are Re-Ree

RandomPauI posted:

I have what might be a horrible question. What would need to happen for you guys to do a Rifftrax of Schindler's List, or of Grave of the Fireflies?

People ask about Schindler's List a lot. I think everyone agrees that it would pretty much be in very poor taste and very poorly received. We did however riff Cool As Ice, which has the same cinematographer as Schindler's List! (Would it be a challenge? Of course. But not in the 'fun' sort of way Casablanca was. The source material would overpower any jokes. Think about how many people say they tune out riffs in a movie like "Thor" for being 'too good', then imagine us joking about a well made film about the horrors of WWII.)

I've actually never seen Schindler's List and hadn't heard of Grave of the Fireflies. But they both seem like something that would be done solely for mean-spirited shock value, and I don't think anyone's really interested in that.

This, on the other hang, will hopefully be the last thing we ever do, followed by a collective mic drop and stunned silence, then weeping and gnashing of teeth: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_ABC_of_Sex_Education_for_Trainables

rereedrumr
Sep 11, 2006
We Are Re-Ree
I'm kidding about that short as well, in case that wasn't clear.

rereedrumr
Sep 11, 2006
We Are Re-Ree

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Will there ever be a VOD of Santa With Muscles?

I need it.

We had a VHS of that once, and we watched it before we really ventured into VOD turf. I will take another look at it, we're always looking for Christmas themed releases. I worry that it'd be too slapsticky, I imagine there's lots of Home Alone-esque mayhem but I'm sure we could work with it. Only problem is we'd probably wait until next December to release it.

rereedrumr
Sep 11, 2006
We Are Re-Ree

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Will there ever be a downloadable version of that Norman short that aired before the NotLD live show because I was late and missed it and still have yet to see it :smith:

I think so. I believe there's a 90 day window before we can release the live show on our site and it usually takes a bit longer in case there's an encore. But we just put the other three Normans up and I'm sure we'll complete the quadrilogy. We'll have to record a studio version though, we didn't do that before the live show.

I thought there was a fifth Norman, but it turns out the one called "Beloved husband of Irma" is just the same thing as the b&w bathroom one, which we got as just "Norman Krasner". So disappointed, I thought we had one left in the hopper.

rereedrumr
Sep 11, 2006
We Are Re-Ree

Xylorjax posted:

I've heard that you guys make much more on the VODs, but can you guys please keep doing a few new releases each year (aside from Harry Potter, Twilight, and Avengers)? I love the VODs (I'll give you TWO REASONS why), but stuff like 300 or Fast and Furious were absolutely hilarious.

I'm not sure if we'd make more on a VOD. For everyone who buys it because it's easier, there's probably someone who doesn't want to spend ten bucks. What I think is more related to the shift in movie types is just the utter sameness of all the movies that we'd be able to do as MP3s.

For a while, we did pretty much every big summer movie you could ask for, but they all just start to run together. So many of them are superhero movies, or action movies that might as well be superhero movies, that all run over two hours and build to a thirty minute destruction-o-rama showdown. (We started breaking up the Transformers-esque movies into ten sections instead of five, just because whoever would get stuck with the last fifth of one of these movies just got utterly screwed, trying to make jokes about exploding rubble as the exploding rubble sequence entered its eighth minute.) It just got hard to get excited about doing a movie like Pacific Rim or Dark Knight Rises knowing that it was all going to be fairly familiar ground. And then if by any chance it was one that people just decided they weren't interested in, it was kind of deflating. Plus, once you run out of the movies you actually like such as Star Wars, LOTRs, etc, there were less things to be excited about.

VODs at least have the opportunity to keep the source material fresh. Insane found footage bigfoot movie to David Carradine schlockfest to mad scientist movie to giant spiders to blaxploitation (hang on, getting choked up about my beloved kidnapped daughter, and I'm done.) None of them are overlong and there's never a budget for a whole city to get destroyed. Plus, as streaming starts to become even more prevalent than it is, it will be nice to have these VOD titles ready for people, as streaming Harry Potter is sadly probably never a reality.

That said, I don't think we'll ever be done with big modern movies, because we keep hearing this exact request. We'll of course have to finish Harry Potter, after a break of course. And hopefully, working with Sony and other studios on stuff like Starship Troopers opens the door for hopefully other titles getting the treatment, hopefully as VODs.

Thank you for referencing Guy From Harlem.

rereedrumr
Sep 11, 2006
We Are Re-Ree

IUG posted:

Yes, I too love the movie Riffs that aren't VOD as well. I have purchased a few movies just because they have a Rifftrax feature riff (Thor, I'm looking at you). I'm glad that you guys are finishing the Harry Potter series, and bought that Deathly Hallows Riff so quickly. (Bonus for the people who haven't bought it yet, it's great.)

Glad you liked it. I thought that the thing someone posted in this thread about the shifting Harry Potter color palate was amazing. My favorite line in this one was tying Neville's quip on the train into the first Apple keynote after Steve Jobs passed away.

rereedrumr
Sep 11, 2006
We Are Re-Ree

Mister Kingdom posted:

Any chance you'll ever do Blade Runner?

We always used to talk about it in the early days, I think we were just discouraged by all the different cuts that exist of it out there. It was hard to tell what the version that everyone would have would be. For a while wasn't the 'good' version only available via bootleg? I watched it during a cold study in college where they gave you a cold and locked you in a hotel room for three days, my memories from that time are a touch Jack Torrance-y.

rereedrumr
Sep 11, 2006
We Are Re-Ree

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Apparently it's a scheduling issue with Cineplex, and hopefully this will be the only time it happens.

As a side note pleasepleaseplease do The Hobbit as an mp3 and get the VOD rights to Yor - The Hunter From the Future ASAP because oh god if any movie had it coming...

I would guess that both of these will happen some day. Once we get up the nerve to tackle the Hobbit's length. And Yor is something we keep looking at then forgetting about. I'll see if it's something we can make a priority. That and that awesomely over the top violent "Deadly Prey" movie are ones we should have done by now.

rereedrumr
Sep 11, 2006
We Are Re-Ree

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

So what you're saying is, even if it comes out, we'll never get a riff of "The Day the Clown Cried"? You've ruined christmas.

Oh, and yes please keep doing VoDs. Not just for convenience, but because riffing that sort of 70s/80s schlock just has something your modern-day blockbuster doesn't.

Well that might be a whole different animal, who knows. That could be the kind of stunt that might be worth doing it. Hard to know until anyone besides Harry Shearer has seen it though.

rereedrumr
Sep 11, 2006
We Are Re-Ree

Xylorjax posted:

Interesting. I hadn't considered the sameness factor but that makes total sense. As long as we get some of each I'm good.

So how did you end up working with Mike? Want ad in the afternoon edition of the old-time newspaper? Payoff from a blackmail scheme? Fallout from a speed dating session gone oh so right?

It was a very, very strange circumstance. I was living in San Diego, and had quit my first job after college which involved working at a glasses lens manufacturing company. It was like the box factory in Springfield, I never saw the lenses, they were made down in Tijuana. But we would do stuff about backorders and other soul-crushingly tedious stuff. It started as a temp job, then lasted too long.

So I was unemployed, and hoping something better would come along. In college, some friends and I had started a fake holiday called National High Five Day, which we declared would happen annually on the third Thursday in April, and you should just go out and high five a bunch of strangers. It has got some good press over the years, and on this particular year, 2006, I believe the third Thursday was 4/20.

A woman emails me to say that she thought it was a a neat idea, and in her signature it says "Legend Films" and the address was in San Diego. So I wrote to her and told her I lived there, and did they have any openings for the kind of person that would make up something like NH5D. They were feeling generous, I suppose, and thought I could help out on marketing, as well as some basic editing and stuff, as well as shipping Shirley Temple DVDs to old ladies, which was a funny little side business they ran. They also produced DVDs that had commentary by Mike, since the CEO and Mike had a mutual friend.

And then one day, Mike decided to move there and give starting what would end up being RiffTrax a shot. I was probably shipping a Shirley Temple DVD at the time and figured, I need to be part of whatever this is going to be. So I made sure to bring my A-game, and make sure he knew I was funny. "Oh what am I listening to on these headphones? The Ricky Gervais podcast, as I have quite the good taste in comedy." I ended up right around that time making a video that went pretty viral https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t12qml7up-o and getting something funny I wrote published in a local alt weekly. So I could at least show I could write and do weird stuff.

Fortunately, we ended up having compatible styles, and in the early days, Mike was writing those riffs all by himself. I would go to the recordings to record Disembaudio lines and one day he asked if I wanted to write on Crossroads. It took a little while for Legend for find someone else to do the Shirley Temple DVDs and other stuff, but once they did, it was all RiffTrax all the time.

TLDR: A couple of coincidences of titanic proportions, but also good old fashioned showing someone you could be funny.

rereedrumr
Sep 11, 2006
We Are Re-Ree

fenix down posted:

I'm happy with any new material, but the VODs are pretty great and I'm glad the crew is still enjoying making them. Silent Rage is my favorite so far - Chuck is just so romantic.

Who (or what) were your inspirations when it came to writing the book?

Yeah, Silent Rage is great. It has absolutely no idea what kind of tone it wants to commit to.

I think it was just a desire to write something longer that I could be proud of. I hadn't really written much if any fiction since College, either Riffs or skits or funny little blog posts. So I wanted to prove I could do it. Somehow I got the idea that a whaling ship could be a funny setting for a story, and then thought that having a fish out of water on that ship would work too. At some point as I was kicking the idea around, I picked up a book called The Art of Fielding, which is technically 'about' baseball, but has a very strong Melville theme/subplot. So after that, I thought I should just do it. I'm pretty happy I did, I think it turned out pretty funny.

rereedrumr
Sep 11, 2006
We Are Re-Ree

Vicissitude posted:

Rereedrumr, what sort of a portfolio would one have to provide as their application to write for Rifftrax? I've been trying to put one or two together for an iRiff, but I just don't have the voice for it. I seem to be better on the writing side than the performing.

Well, that is a tough question. Mostly, I would want to see that you're funny, and that you've done funny writing in the past. So any sort of portfolio of things you've written would at least let us know that you're talented and motivated.

We are currently giving a few people a try out though, so I think we're going to be fairly busy trying to see if any of them work out for the foreseeable future. If you have anything you'd like me to look at, email me at conor AT rifftrax.com. It's not going to be something that we're able to take action on for a while though, and if all of these people work out, it might not be for even longer, so please don't be upset if I don't get back to you.

rereedrumr
Sep 11, 2006
We Are Re-Ree

Neurion posted:

You're the voice of Disembaudio? Neat!

I sing at weddings. Hit me up.

rereedrumr
Sep 11, 2006
We Are Re-Ree

Senior Woodchuck posted:

What are the odds on an encore for Santa Claus Conquers the Martians?

I would expect there not to be one. I feel like there's been encores for less than half of our shows, and the seasonal nature of this one would lead to believe there probably won't be one. I think encores are pretty much 100% dependent on how many people buy tickets to the first one, to determine whether or not Fathom thinks they can get theater owners to give us a screen for one. But I think that the one night only, live showing is part of the appeal to Fathom as well. Encores are just icing on the cake, if and when they're possible.

rereedrumr fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Nov 17, 2013

rereedrumr
Sep 11, 2006
We Are Re-Ree

Mister Kingdom posted:

The final cut is the way to go. It's readily available. The reason I asked mainly is that I have a friend who, I think, gets slightly offended when Rifftrax takes on any of his favorite movies (ie Harry Potter). He asked in a semi-kidding manner, "Well, how would you feel if they did Blade Runner?". I said, "I'd love for them to do it. It wouldn't change how I feel about the movie."

A reasonable attitude, given that subjecting yourself to our commentary is 100% optional, and does not affect any other copy of the movie in existence other than the one you are currently watching. I'm guessing that if you think otherwise, you probably misunderstand what we do as just insulting a movie for two hours. I wouldn't want that either.

rereedrumr
Sep 11, 2006
We Are Re-Ree
Thanks for letting me clutter up your thread over the weekend guys. Just as a reminder, if you want to check out my book Gone Whalin', you can get it here: http://amzn.to/1bYuUwJ

Just $2.99 on Kindle! Tell your friends! It's funny!

I'll keep lurking, so feel free to bug me if there's anything else RT related you need. Until then, have a happy Life Day.

rereedrumr
Sep 11, 2006
We Are Re-Ree

hayden. posted:

I thought I saw on twitter a long time ago that Lowtax went to CA to record another rifftrax. Whatever happened to that?

We didn't record anything last time Lowtax was out here. It was probably close to a year ago. He definitely showed us a lot of terrible movies though.

rereedrumr
Sep 11, 2006
We Are Re-Ree

RandomPauI posted:

1) I'll definitely read the first few chapters of your book today, it'll be a good way to pass time before an appointment.

2) Will you ever do Surviving Edged Weapons?

Edit: I forgot how gory this movie was. I just remembered the sillier re-enactment scenes.

1. Nice! Hope you enjoy it and that the appointment is for something good (I know appointments usually are.)

2. Haven't heard of it but will check it out. "Gory" in the description is usually a bit of a red flag though, unless it's poorly done enough to make it goofy.

rereedrumr
Sep 11, 2006
We Are Re-Ree

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Everyone did. 80's kids had no taste.

Next question:

The internet is buzzing over this bad 80's Canadian movie called Things.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0052G4P26/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1384902278&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70

Have you guys seen it?

This is one that we watched with Lowtax when he was out here last. And I believe the time before that as well...

rereedrumr
Sep 11, 2006
We Are Re-Ree

Guy Axlerod posted:

They were spun off in July 2012, but are still a subsidiary of Legend Films.

No, we bought ourselves out from Legend a year and a half ago. We don't have anything to do with them anymore and are now artist owned and operated. It's a nice feeling.

rereedrumr
Sep 11, 2006
We Are Re-Ree

Mister Kingdom posted:

Does Mike still do work for Legend?

Legend morphed into a 3D conversion company since RiffTrax started. They do 3D work on major studio films. We didn't have much to do with their day to day business for a long time before we split.

rereedrumr
Sep 11, 2006
We Are Re-Ree

GreenNight posted:

I was quite surprised when you guys did Treasure of the Amazon. Who decides when a movie has too much nudity and horror? Not one of the Rifftax I'd show my nephew, even though it was excellent.

Well, it was about as non-sexual as nudity could get, and the gore effects were so crummy it was hard to take seriously. That was one where we thought the goofiness of the rest of it balanced it out. In some cases it's easier to edit out the really creepy scenes when they're an outlier, like in Swamp of the Ravens when the guy bangs the corpse, but in this case it was pretty widespread.

We're in a weird position where we're not "rated r" per se, but we're not writing and performing stuff that's intended for kids. Always tricky when people ask about the ratings for our lives shows are. I have no idea what you consider appropriate for your kids or what they understand!

rereedrumr
Sep 11, 2006
We Are Re-Ree
BTW, I think Night Of The Lepus got put into action because of a suggestion from this thread. So thanks for that! (I couldn't stand that movie. Wow, a whole lot of nothing happens.)

Sadly, it appears that Yor, Hunter From The Future is not available at the time. We tried, and will give it another got a bit further down the line.

rereedrumr
Sep 11, 2006
We Are Re-Ree

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

What do I have to do to get y'all to do Starcrash?

Is Roger Corman involved in that one? I think he's not a fan of what we do. We watched it and loved it a few years ago, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rereedrumr
Sep 11, 2006
We Are Re-Ree

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Yeah, I think he does have the distribution rights to it now. Might be worth considering a non-VOD release though.

What about Lifeforce? Or does that have too much nudity?

There's also a twenty minute short about building blocks by the guys responsible for Setting Up A Room which might be worth a look.

It would be fun to do, but for that type of movie it'd have to be a VOD. I am not familiar with Lifeforce, but will take a gander, especially if there's nudity.

But most importantly...Another short by the guys responsible for Setting Up A Room???? Please provide details/ a link!

• Locked thread