Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

duz posted:

They're also many miles from each other. The CT crew is all in and around L.A. whereas the RT guys arn't.

Actually, Joel, Frank, and Josh are in L.A. but Mary Jo is in Texas and Trace is back in Minnesota. And as for Rifftrax, Mike is in San Diego and I believe Kevin is in Minnesota. I'm not sure where Bill is, but the point is all these guys are spread out over the country. Too bad none of them made there way over here to the east coast though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Adam Chance posted:

I was at the North Brunswick, NJ show. There was a decent-sized crowd, and only a handful of technical problems that happened early. Unfortunately one of those problems was such that we missed the entire first Lowtax short; it hinged on a second or so of footage, showing a bunch of bags of flour, then a guy's head with concentric circles behind it and the words "CUTTING EDGE" at the bottom. We saw that in a loop for a good three minutes. Then it faded to black, and then came back on Coulton starting his first song.

My theater did not care for him at all. There was some booing, and a very palpable frustration once he started up the second song and took minutes to organize the singalong. The only laughs throughout his set were when they showed the crowd members raptly singing along. It made me kind of sad; I like the guy a lot. (They were, of course, way more receptive for the riffing, and the short and the movie both went over very well.)

The guy who yelled out that he wanted to see "Cutting Edge" again during Coulton was pretty funny, though.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Overwined posted:

As the EP, Jim Mallon pretty much owns the MST3k franchise. It has been pretty clear that Jim refuses to give dime one to anyone formerly involved in the show from all the DVD re-releases. Also, it is rumored that Joel really left the show because of conflicts with Mallon.

To summarize, gently caress Jim Mallon.

EDIT: He also tried to sink (sorry) Cinema Titanic. Obviously he can't stand seeing anyone from the show making any money without his own thumb in the pie.

To be fair, I think most MST fans seem to hate him more than the actual MST crew does. They did the Comic-Con panel without any drama last year. And saying he refuses to give any money to everyone else is a little unfair I think. He owns the show. That's pretty much just how it works. Plus, Joel has said he gets money for the DVD's.

And it was the Film Crew DVD's that Mallon supposedly tried to stop, not Cinematic Titanic.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I still say that Titanic was a good movie. it made a billion dollars and won 50 Oscars for a reason. That said, it is still extremely cheesy at times, and I think it is absolutely perfect Rifftrax fodder. Can't loving wait.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Wow, do any of you realize you can be a conservative without being crazy? I'm a liberal myself, but there's nothing wrong with him leaning conservative. You don't hear him gay-bashing or denying evolution or anything.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

No one really said it was a problem (for him, at least); in fact, they were commenting on how well he was keeping it separate so his political stance didn't ruin his humor (ie Seth MacFarlane)

I agree, my point is that people seem surprised that he can keep his politics out of his comedy, but it's not like being a conservative forces you to instantly start spouting nonsense. I probably didn't make that point clearly enough though.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Bart Fargo posted:

I was expecting a couple of songs after they had Coulton doing two for the last one. I figured a song or two out of Al was a given.

I don't think the amount of non-riffing material went over all that well the first time, so they went pretty much in the opposite direction and did almost all riffing. They could've done at least one or two Al songs though.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Yeah part of the problem with Coulton is that nobody knew who he was. Everyone knows Weird Al. It's not that people didn't want funny songs. But they didn't want funny songs by a guy they never heard of, that have nothing to do with the rest of the show.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Corridor posted:

Sorry if this is covered elsewhere in the thread, but does anyone have opinions on Cinematic Titanic? As far as I can tell, it's the 'new MST3K' with Joel, Trace, and pretty much every other MST3K cast member who isn't doing Rifftrax (stick with what you're good at I guess?).

Yes it's in the OP but just gives straight info, no feedback. I don't really want to read 50+ pages just to get some opinions.

I can't help but wonder what these two teams think of each other.

I've only seen their first couple DVD's, so it might not be fair to judge, but while they were good, they weren't quite up to snuff. I may just be hard to please though, because I honestly haven't thought most of the Rifftrax I've seen was as funny as it could be either.

That said, I went to Cinematic Titanic's three-movie, New Year's Eve marathon, and it was probably the best movie riffing I've ever seen.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Sinfjotli posted:

I really prefer it when they actually rip into the movie for being awful rather than use the movie as a springboard to make jokes.

See, I completely disagree with that. That's one of the main reasons I never got as into Rifftrax as MST. The ones I've seen use too many "This movie is so bad I want to gouge my eyes out" type lines, which I just don't think are as funny.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

ComposerGuy posted:

Really? I don't notice a lot of those kinds of jokes.

Maybe I'm not watching the right riffs.

I'm not sure it would be possible for me to disagree with this statement more.

I tried The Film Crew a few times. Really wanted to like it...and it just left me flat.

Maybe I have just watched the wrong riffs then. I've only watched a handful of them really. Jurassic Park and the Star Wars Holiday Special are my favorites of what I've seen.

The Holiday Special actually does have a lot of those lines, but at least it's so bad I can sort of believe it. The Holiday Special is up there (down there?) with any MST movie in terms of quality. As bad as something like The Phantom Menace is, I just can't buy the idea that the same people who sat through all the MST movies would find it that painful.

Sinfjotli posted:

I may have worded that poorly, because I agree with you. It's really not funny when they make a joke where the punchline is literally "This movie is so bad that I would rather endure physical pain than watch it," but the best riffs are ones that are directly related to the badness of the movie: drawing attention to stupid lines or bizarre camera work, that sort of thing. To take an already quoted riff from New Moon as an example: "It doesn't make sense for me to love you" "the Twilight series summed up in nine words."

I meant I don't find it as funny when they use the movie as a springboard to make fun of something unrelated, like the Kelsey Grammer references whenever a car plows into something. Those sort of jokes work fine sometimes, but it seems like the weaker ones over-rely on them. They also tend to get recycled over and over. I'm almost positive there was a Kelsey Grammer reference in at least four Rifftrax in a row. I guess the best way to put it is that I find that riffs which are movie-specific and relate directly to what's going on work best, where more general jokes that can be made during any movie (and often are) aren't as good.

Ah ok. I don't think I entirely agree with you, but I'm glad to see we're closer to the same opinion than I thought. I do think they tend to recycle too much material like that from what I've seen.

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

I never did re-watch Diabolik, true story. It's TOO SAD.

Despite my username, I don't think I've watched the entire movie portion of Diabolik yet in the 11 years since it aired.

I also can't believe it's been over a decade. Yikes.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I have to say, it's kinda weird (but good) that Sci-Fi kept MST on the air for several years, even after they stopped producing new episodes.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Corridor posted:

Hey guys guys, you know how Bobo is from Planet of the Apes (kinda) and there's this episode I just watched where pods make body doubles of the entire cast and try to take over the world (like Invasion of the Body Snatchers) so which movie are the Observer Brain Guys from? They ARE based on a movie, right? I kinda feel like I've seen them before somewhere, but cannot recall.

I don't think they were based on any one, specific movie. I'd also like to take this opportunity to point out that they could not have made enough jokes about Brain Guy not having a body to satisfy me.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Or you could buy it on iTunes like an honest person.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/when-i-held-your-brain-in/id337424254?i=337424398

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

The main problem that I see is that a CD won't be long enough to hold a feature length riff. There are guides out there for burning pre-synched Rifftrax DVDs. That's probably the way to go if you want to make it easy for them.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Vidyatendo posted:

Maybe I missed the memo but are they ever going to do another "Live" show? I loved every one that I went to (had to miss House on Haunted Hill though :() and I hope they aren't just stopping.
Why would you think they're stopping? It hasn't been THAT long since the last one. Wasn't it a good six or seven months between the Christmas show and Reefer Madness?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

IUG posted:

Yes, but the time between Reefer Madness Live and House On Haunted Hill Live was only like a month or two.

And it was the same between Plan 9 and the Christmas Shorts. It seems like the pattern is going to be one in the summer and one in the fall/early winter.

I just hope that at some point they actually do that Jack the Giant Killer movie that they teased us with last year.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Vidyatendo posted:

My main concern was that I thought they might have done another Christmas one or something. I dunno really, I mean, they announced the House on Haunted Hill event at the Reefer Madness one. I thought they were considering to do them more regularly or something.

Was it six months? Geez, seemed a lot shorter. That also aided my confusion.
Just Googled to confirm the dates. It was actually eight months.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Yeah, it's not like they're doing the actual show. This is a cheap film adaptation made back in the mid-60s when the show was still new. I don't think the BBC has any control over it.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

August 15 according to the email.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I haven't seen Starship Troopers so I don't know how graphic anything is, but since they don't need to worry about people syncing the commentary at home they could just use the TV version of the movie if they wanted.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

At this point I think it's pretty much a lock that they make it to $250,000. Kickstarter campaigns pretty much always get the most donations in the first and last couple days, so expect the total to go way up by the time it ends.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I didn't love the studio-recorded Cinematic Titanic episodes (though I would have loved to seem them keep doing it longer to see how it developed), but they were amazing to see live. I saw them do a three-movie marathon show one year on New Year's Eve. Under normal circumstances I wouldn't have thought that "gently caress you, movie!" was a very good riff, but hearing Frank yell it at almost two o'clock in the morning after you've been watching this stuff for nearly six hours was magical. Best movie riffing experience of my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

all-Rush mixtape posted:

The Five Doctors is essentially Doctor Who's greatest hits from the first 20 years, but one of those greatest hits albums where they have to re-record some songs for legal reasons.

I like this description. For those that don't know, the whole point of this episode is that they got all five Doctors in one story for the show's twentieth anniversary, except one was played by a new actor because the original was dead, and another only appeared in repurposed footage from an unfinished episode.

• Locked thread