Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Gaspy Conana posted:

I love a few of the shorts, but I've not yet seen a riff on a feature length film that I can honestly say I thoroughly enjoyed. They always end up feeling like a slog to me, and something about the jokes is just different than whatever makes MST3k funny. That said, I've only tried like 5 of them, so it's entirely possible that I picked out a few weak ones. Has anyone else gone from being sort of lukewarm to loving it? Which one(s) changed your mind? I really want to like these more. :(

I think the problem is that there is a difference between films that are badly made and films that are just bad. Most of the modern films they riff fall in the later category, but its the former category that actually makes for better riffing.

You might want to try watching the riffs for The Room and Birdemic, two recent but truly incompetently made films. Also, I find that I enjoy their Rifftrax Presents (where they riff public domain films, providing the video as well as the audio) and their Rifftrax Live performances (also with public domain films) more than the standard Rifftrax. So I would recommend looking at those; several of them are currently up on Hulu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Burkion posted:

You guys talking about nudity in Rifftrax and don't bring up Treasure of the Amazon? Really?

That's like the only reason the movie exists.

I'm pretty sure that's the film that brought up the subject in the first place.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

zimbomonkey posted:

Have they ever riffed a comedy before? I don't know if that could work...

I'm sure it will work great if the comedy isn't actually funny.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
Did a quick check, and it looks like the longest film they've riffed so far was The Return of the King at 201 minutes. Gone With The Winds is 220, assuming they cut the 15 minutes worth of overtures and intermission (although those would make prime opportunities for a skit or two).

Still, I would imagine the real argument against riffing it would be all of the cultural baggage attached.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Titanic and Transformers 2 are the only 2 movies that I've tried watching with RiffTrax but had to turn off halfway through because I was so drat bored.

I've said it before; the best films to riff are the ones that are badly made, not just bad. Riffing, unfortunately, rarely makes a dull film not dull.

Paper Kaiju fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jan 11, 2014

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Mister Kingdom posted:

They did Casablanca just for that reason. To prove it could be done. Mike even said they could do something like Schindler's List or The Passion of the Christ, but they just weren't going to.

Gone With The Wind and Casablanca aren't really comparable in that regard. The American Civil War is cultural minefield in way World War II can't even compete with.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Everything Counts posted:

So, what is the tone of the Casablanca riff? Is it any different from a more "low-brow" movie?

I just watched it tonight, and there's not that much difference. Obscure reference here, mock sterotype there, make bad pun and then punish each other for it every now and then. There's just more ribbing and less yelling.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Brutakas posted:

What about kid's movies from the 90s? Something like 3 Ninjas, The Page Master or Warriors of Virtue. However, the movie would have to take itself somewhat seriously for this idea to work.

Films like these seem to fall into the dead zone between newer or more prolific films to do as an audio commentary, and older films in public domain or with dirt-cheap rights to do as streaming/downloadable video.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
3 votes for The Wizard. It's just barely watchable while still being cheesy as hell, which is the best kind of film for riffing.

(Also, I really don't want to have to sit through Godzilla '98 again.)

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
Dear god, MST3K has become retro. :stare:

I knew it would happen someday, but not this soon...

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Drastic Actions posted:

I did and again, I get why it's being done and why it could/will be a good riff. I'm just saying the movie itself baffles me as to why it was so popular.

It's an Asylum movie. It's just like nearly all the other ones they've done. It has a kinda funny name, that's it.

The way I understood it, it wasn't the movie itself that was popular, just the funny name/concept.

But maybe I'm wrong; I tend to avoid Asylum films out of principle.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
What the hell is an AMA?

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
Just watched Norman Gives A Speech, and I'm still baffled as to who kept making these and why. They're like if Mr. Bean was directed by a German nihilist trying to express the futility of existence. The only thing that confuses me more is that there appears to be a five year gap in the production of each one.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
If you have Hulu Plus, there's a bunch of earlier Rifftrax, as well as some Shorts, available to stream.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

CapnBry posted:

Which movie was that again, the one that had the Cyborg Cop in it?

No, no it was not.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
See this, Kickstater? This is how you do loving stretch goals.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Along with Ice Cream Bunny of course.

But Santa and the Ice Cream Bunny has nothing to do with Christmas...

But then, neither does The Magic Christmas Tree.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

IUG posted:

I just couldn't bring myself to get the Hormel short. I usually watch these things while I eat dinner at work, and I don't think that this would be a wise course of action to pair those two activities.

This is Hormel isn't anywhere near as bad as you're probably imagining; unless you happen to have zero previous exposure to what's involved with meat processing, it's nothing you haven't seen before (except for THE TAIL, but that's like a 3-second shot, and is more bizarre than gross).

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Nipplebox posted:

Without a VOD, I'll never get to see it. Hope one is available someday.

They'll probably release an audio commentary, like they did with Starship Troopers; and Sharknado is available on Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon Prime, Redbox Instant...from what I understand, Asylum makes a significant portion of its revenue from streaming services.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Canned Panda posted:

Tickets for Anaconda are now officially for sale.

http://www.fathomevents.com/event/rifftrax-live-anaconda

Oh poo poo, it seems that they're hosting the show live from Durham NC.

I live in Durham.

Looks like I'm out $54.

Edit: Crap, the cheapest seats are actually $35 for the nosebleeds, so $70 for me and the lady. That's pushing it beyond what I'm willing to spend versus the $25 for the cinema stream.

Paper Kaiju fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Aug 15, 2014

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

SnipeBob posted:

This was my first time seeing this version of Godzilla. I guess I didn't think it was that terrible of a movie? It was too long and had some pointless scenes, but it didn't seem any worse than a typical Hollywood summer movie.

Considering how bad the typical Hollywood summer movie is, that's damning with faint praise.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

SnipeBob posted:

I agree, but I'm just complaining that this isn't the type of movie I like seeing them riff on. It's not goofy enough and the production values aren't terrible enough. I probably won't have watched it if it wasn't a live event. I think movies like Sharknado are more fun for them to riff on.

I feel the reverse. The riffs for Casablanca, Wizard of Oz, and Jaws were great, so a film doesn't need to be goofy and cheap to be good for riffing. On the other hand, I skipped the Sharknado event, because riffing a film that was intentionally made to be goofy and cheap seems too easy to me.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Ensign_Ricky posted:

New riff today! Dinosaurus!

Holy poo poo! I used to watch this movie all the time back when I was a kid and would watch any movie with dinosaurs in it because what the gently caress does an 8-year-old know about 'good film-making'.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Command Ant posted:

This movie would've made a normal D&D campaign!

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
Perhaps it is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Claus:_The_Movie

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

IUG posted:

Is anyone else waiting for them to announce their subscription plan before buying any VODs?

Yes.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

PrinceRandom posted:

I ended up changing my mind about the chase scene. It went on so long it turned back around to being sort of funny again.

There is no future. There is no past. There is only the chase.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
Guys.

It's a toy snake. Probably being sold by one of the many street vendors the characters are running by. You can't see the string that's pulling it because the film isn't high enough definition, but if you slow it down to 1/8 speed, you can make out the individual wooden or plastic segments that give it articulation.

You can all rest easy now.

Edit: Basically a cheesier version of one of these on a pull string:

Paper Kaiju fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jan 17, 2015

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
Holy poo poo, that place is only about an hour and a half drive from where I live.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Canned Panda posted:

I went with Guy From Harlem.

You have chosen wisely.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

PrinceRandom posted:

I think the to catch a yeti parents are the worst parents on film

Which parents? There were two sets of parents, and both were pretty lovely.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

InfiniteZero posted:

Mike and Kevin and Bill are Americans so nope. Of the many references they've made to pop culture over the years, have they ever made a soccer reference?

Everyone and their mother has done a 'GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!' joke at some point.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
Oh god, Rock n' Roll Nightmare deserves to be enshrined and declared an Canadian national treasure. During the climactic fight scene I was laughing so hard, I literally had to stop the movie because my sides were in so much pain. And not from the riffs; just the sheer lunacy of the entire scene nearly killed me.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

PrinceRandom posted:

i saw the second twist, not the first oddly.

Based on this film and Birdemic, it would seem that Ngyuen believes in exactly two kinds of plot developments: the ones which you spend an hour painfully foreshadowing (and by 'painfully', I mean the viewer's reaction), and the ones that jump in with absolutely zero build up.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Aaand I just realized that in Birdemic right before Nathalie walked in....Rod was watching Julie and Jack.

The pathetic part is that the only reason for it was so that Ngyuen could put Tippi Hedren into the credits for Birdemic.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

muscles like this? posted:

The Wizard is pretty bizarre for the fact that they spend all that time and money on learning every NES game (playing them in arcades for some reason) and in the end the entire contest is like two games.

You forgot the part where the first game was one that he had already learned before their multi-day cram session, and the second hadn't been released yet, rendering the entire montage narratively pointless (except for showcasing lots of Nintendo games at once, which was obviously the true point).

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

girth brooks part 2 posted:

I just watched the Mutant riff last night. I don't think I've seen it mentioned before, but it got a few belly laughs out of me. I'd say it's worth your time to at least check it out, especially if you've watched all the other often recommended riffs.

Short version is a cock with fuzzy hair and his little brother get stranded in a small town full of violent drunks, and are overrun by zombies mutants.

If you haven't seen Nightmare At Noon yet, it's the perfect follow-up, and I liked the riffing even better than Mutant.

For those who didn't already know, Nightmare At Noon is a psuedo-remake of Mutant, with the same premise and even the same lead actors, but playing different characters and now everything is happening during the day instead of at night. It's pretty loving bizarre to watch the two back-to-back and wonder what the point of the latter even was.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

RandomPauI posted:

No way. Really? Is it a short meant for vet schools? That makes sense for a vet school.

It was meant for a college zoology class, it seems.

Also, totally stoked for the Mothra event.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
If you have to ask that, you're obviously a Communist.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Rirse posted:

Thinking of picking up some more Rifftrax horror movie b-movies. Probably wait until the Halloween coupon first, but what are some good ones to get? I already have GHOSTHOUSE, Dracula Saves the World, When a Stranger Calls Back, Birdmic, Rock N Roll Nightmare, House on Haunted Hill, and those older b-movies ones that few ever talk about like Maniac and Devil Hands.

Terror at Tenkiller and The Last Slumber Party are both great.

The Dark Power is also pretty good IF you can tolerate the part at the end where that one girl screams for like 10 minutes straight without pause; I know several goons here couldn't.

Edit: Since you mentioned it, I just want to add that The Devil's Hands contains one of my favorite Mike riffs ever. "The drummer from Def Leppard could out-drum this guy with one hand tied behind his back!"

Paper Kaiju fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Oct 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Rirse posted:

Getting Last Slumber Party & Terror at Tenkiller for sure, but what about the others in my cart?

I have Sisters of Death, Tourist Trap, City of the Dead, Dark Power (which I probably get as it was suggested above), Ruby, Hillbillies in a Haunted House, and Bahama Triangle (which I probably get since it has a Ghost House vibe + guy from Pumaman in it).

Right now my budget is enough for all those, but should I remove or replace any of those with Astro Zombie, Arachia, Catwoman of the Moon, Fever Lake, Night of the Lepus, Swamp of Ravens, Fangs of the Living Dead, Kingdom of the Spiders, or the other older ones that I missed?

Of all of the titles listed this post, my top 10 would be:

Last Slumber Party
Terror at Tenkiller,
City of the Dead
Dark Power
Ruby
Astro Zombies
Arachnia
Night of the Lepus
Kingdom of the Spiders
Fangs of the Living Dead

• Locked thread