Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Niklas Kronwall posted:

Didn't Mike Nelson actually used to post on here?

Not outside of threads like this, I don't think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

muscles like this? posted:

Got done watching this one and its just a plain bizarre short. Its another one of those "training manuals for aliens" shorts where they explain some really really basic information. Like, you need to eat food to have energy to do things. Also after eating you will eventually have to take a poo poo. You should try going to the bathroom at the same time every day but if you feel the need to at other times you should go then, too.

So does anyone know why Cathy doesn't eat breakfast? I've been absolutely baffled by that one ever since I saw it.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Not even Rifftrax could make the Star Wars Holiday Special good for me. I had to watch it in two separate sittings, and even then it was hard to resist just turning it off because it's that loving bad.

I guess it would've helped if I knew the SWHS was two hours long though, and it was funny to see commercials from my local CBS affiliate from 30 years ago.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Pooned posted:

I just watched The room with the riffs on, and oh my god what a piece of poo poo movie. The riffing was alright, but my god. I think 50% of the movie was old camera footage of San Francisco, 40% awkward HORRIBLE sex scenes and 10% people greeting each other. I read on Wikipedia that he meant it as a black comedy, but i can't imagine Tommy Wiseau be intelligent enough to even know what a black comedy is.

It was actually worse then Troll 2. And it was not the good kind of bad either. It was just sad, irritating and awful. You could hear it in Mike, Bill and Kevin's voices, they wanted no part of it.

It did provide what I think is the best riff to date though.
And yeah, there's no loving way that movie was supposed to be a "black comedy," there was clearly nothing intentionally comedic about it.

I had no idea this movie was so huge in bad-movie-cult circles though, I didn't even know it existed until the riff came out.

BTW, what was the Arrested Development reference? I remember them saying something about the Bluths around the "chicken cheep-cheep-cheep" scene, but I didn't get it.

raditts fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jun 28, 2009

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Mister Kingdom posted:

Just started watching Red Dawn. Why all the hate for Bud American Ale? (I don't drink, so don't ask, "Have you ever tasted it?")

They seem to make recurring jokes about certain things for no particular reason. They used to make a lot of Jorge Garcia jokes in the earlier riffs.

Mister Kingdom posted:

I have yet to be disappointed by a Rifftrax Presents feature.

You'd better avoid House of Wax, then.

raditts fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jul 15, 2009

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Mister Kingdom posted:

http://www.icwxp.com/

Basically a DIY version of MST3K.

So a shameless knockoff of Rifftrax then?
edit: ah, they have the silhouettes and everything.

raditts fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Jul 25, 2009

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Elucidation posted:

They currently have a poll going to see what fans would like them to riff at this summer's live event: http://polldaddy.com/poll/3266003/

Our choices are: 1962's Jack the Giant Killer or the cult classic, Reefer Madness.

I saw "I Know Who Killed Me" on Lifetime while pulling an all-nighter last night and frankly I'm amazed it hasn't been riffed yet.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

fenix down posted:

I've been meaning to watch that - what's your prognosis?

Maybe it was because they cut some really important parts out of the TV edit or something, but there were just several WTF parts that seem to have absolutely no bearing on the movie, and the ending is probably the WTFest of all.

Also, lots and lots of blue filter.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Universe Master posted:

From they way they've been releasing these things, it's clear that they go for their audience's maximum ease of obtaining or the maximum chance of owning a particular movie.

So the list goes

-New releases (because they are easy to buy or rent)

-Genre classics (because most people will already own it)

-Only then whatever obscure movie they think would be funniest.

And they have to anticipate lower sales for the last one.

I think Lindsay Lohan has made enough movies that "lovely Lindsay Lohan Movie" can legitimately be called a genre. :colbert:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

In case any of you guys care, they're doing a live Rifftrax of "Shuffleboard" that's about to start in a couple of minutes.

Link: http://www.rifftrax.com/live/shuffleboard
They've got an IRC channel going, too.

edit: As it turns out, they are literally commentating a game of Shuffleboard.

raditts fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jul 16, 2010

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Oh, Mustache Dad was okay, but you could tell which side of the family Bella inherited her mumbling from.

They should've cast Sam Elliot as Mustache Dad. That would've been loving amazing.

Sam Elliot's presence can save some lovely movies, but I think Twilight is beyond even his power.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

therealjon_ posted:

Yep, it is the best VOD and I watch it almost weekly.

It's a great riff but I don't think I could stand to watch it on a regular basis. Even if it is the movie that launched Jessica Simpson's career.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I love the big budget riffs but some of the shorts are amazing. Love That Car had me crying.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

I watched "the best" Dr. Who (Christopher Eccleston) and it was like a high school theater production of Star Trek: The Original Series.

Doctor Who is hardly a work of art in general, but whoever told you Christopher Eccleston was the best was a loving liar.

Deadpool posted:

Of course, but having never really paid any attention to Dr. Who outside of hearing people profess their love for it I'd always assumed it was some kind of respectable Scifi show and not a goofy low budget mess.

If I remember correctly it was conceived as a semi-educational kids' program, so while it's probably skewed more adult-oriented over the last 50 years, that should still tell you where to set your expectations. It's a bit of an acquired taste.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

LP97S posted:

No, not the best scenes from my friends bootleg copy!
:qqsay:

Seriously, I sorta understand but it's pretty funny seeing you yell this much.

He's fallen off the wagon with his rageaholism :(

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Ensign_Ricky posted:

What's confusing to me is that didn't they say that if they didn't get Twilight, they'd start working their way down their list of Worst Movies of All Time?

Because Starship Troopers isn't even on that list.

Also, seriously, how is I Know Who Killed Me not on that list? I would give so much money to a kickstarter toward riffing that movie, it's the right mix of absurdity and incompetence that's practically made for it. Everyone should see it exactly once.

As evidence for my case, I present this episode of How Did This Get Made that a goon pointed me toward a few weeks back.

raditts fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jun 6, 2013

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

MisterBibs posted:

I've had a pretty nasty throat cold/flu/everycellinmybodyisdying lately, and I've been re-watching all of my VoDs/Shorts. I was wondering, what must-watch ones am I missing?

At Your Fingertips: Boxes
At Your Fingertips: Grasses
Taking Care Of Your Own Things
Danger Keep Out
Drawing For Beginners: The Rectangle
Eggs To Market
Families: Food And Eating
Kingdom of the Spiders
Magical Dissapearing Money
Night of the SHorts
Nutrition: The All American Meal
Patriotism
Plan 9
Birdemic
Safety: Harm Hides At Home
Setting Up A Room

Looooooooooooove That Car!

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

IUG posted:

Someone told me about WP,DR before, so I'm going to have to hunt that down and give that a go too. But yes, they need to finish up the last two HP films, and then, I don't know, the first and Last Batman or something (it'll give me a reason to rewatch the last one again).

Lord knows I'm not going to go out of my way to ever watch DKR again without riffing.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

IUG posted:

It's the same thing thing with some of the Rifftrax Shorts. One of the DVDs came with two guest commentators, and their voice work just doesn't work at all. They just don't know how to act out the lines they're saying somehow I can't quite put my finger on.

That's why pretty much none of the non-MKB Rifftrax stuff is worth listening to. I don't think a lot of people get that even with stuff that sounds like it's off the cuff like Riffrax / MST3K that there's still a lot of timing involved. I didn't like WPDR for pretty much the same reasons as you.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

:siren: If you don't own it, buy the video on demand of THE GUY FROM HARLEM. :siren:

The thread has spoken.

Give me TWO REASONS why I should.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Burkion posted:

Welp I know whose career I'm going to be marathoning.

The movies themselves have nothing on the parts that didn't make it into the movie:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mor3k9UVQe4

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I just got around to watching The Apple this weekend.

I have no idea what the gently caress was supposed to be going on in that movie, but when I saw Menahem Golan as the first name in the credits it made perfect sense.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

LP97S posted:

Oh it's simple, it a late seventies disco interpretation of Premillennialism eschatology filmed for approximately $70.

That... does not simplify it at all.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

2DCAT posted:

The woman who played Julie kept doing the most asinine facial expressions ever. It was really distracting.

I'm watching this right now and you aren't kidding. I just got to the part with the "twist" which is the most bafflingly stupid thing I've seen outside of a Shyamalan movie.

edit: The second twist was pretty predictable after that first one. Being a Nguyen joint, of course it had to take a boring, meandering path to get there.

raditts fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jul 22, 2015

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Omnishambles posted:

Ha, the first thing I did after reading the previous post was look up M.A.S.K.

I'm so old...

The only thing I remembered of M.A.S.K. was the car with the doors that opened upwards like a Delorean.

I definitely did not remember that 80s-as-gently caress theme song.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I got an email notifying me that I had a free $10 gift certificate to use on the RiffTrax site because I haven't bought anything from the site in a while. What should I get with it? I don't think I can use it towards a ticket to the Miami Connection live riff. I haven't seen anything they've put out digitally in a while. All I've seen from them recently are live riffs in theaters.

LOOOOOOOOOOOVE THAT CAR!

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Okay but why did Jack need to have a subplot about needing to sell a product in the first place?

Between this and Birdemic, Nguyen has a pathological need for validation through congratulatory boardroom scenes.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

2DCAT posted:

I dunno, just watched it and it was pretty bad. I mean.... the whole dragon-fighting scene at the end was pretty terrible.

The rifftrax take on it was kind of average. a few parts saved the day the...namely the entire virtual boy scene, the santa and the ice cream bunny stuff, the dog-transformation conversation, and the dragon fighting scene. I'd give it a 8 out of 10.

My favorite part of The Magic Sword is that the Magic Sword ceases being a Magic Sword about halfway through.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Gozinbulx posted:

Rollergator is unwatchable. I'm not sure it can be called their worst movie because I think it's unfair to call this a movie. It's a demented home movie that someone lay INCESSANT guitar over. I can barely stay focused on this. And the guitar...

Yeah, I got 45 minutes in and I probably would have slit my wrists if I had to suffer a minute more. It really puts things in perspective, because as much of a disaster as The Room is, at least you can look at it and say "this is a movie, a bad movie but a movie none the less." I cannot say the same thing about Rollergator, it sets a new standard for "poo poo that not even Rifftrax can save."

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I'm always disappointed when nobody lists "Love That Car" in one of these favorites lists. That one had me laughing so hard I was gasping for air at points.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Captain Invictus posted:

Be more specific, why would that be punishing?

You have to watch it to understand.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

gfanikf posted:

So with the Pope staying less than 5 minutes from my house this Friday on is going to be a MST3K and Rifftrax extravaganza....and you know how it's getting kicked off with...As We Like it! It may not be the best short (though for me it hits everything perfectly) or if you don't like beer it may be less interesting, but for me I love it and I feel like a Rifftraxathon always needs to start off with it.

So you live in Philly then? My wife is having people over for a Rifftrax night this weekend too.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Jose Oquendo posted:

Everyone go buy Death Promise.

I did

and THAT'S A PROMISE

RandomPauI posted:

I'm sorry, but taking the 'OMG buy it' approach just doesn't work for me anymore. That was the case with this thread and Rock and Roll Nightmare and I honestly didn't enjoy it. Dark Power was even worse; half the movie was women screaming!

It's a bad movie with some bad cinematography, bad dialogue, and kung-fu, I don't know how you enjoy Rifftrax if you don't enjoy at least one of those things.

I'm still amazed Shout Factory managed to work out the film rights for Pumaman. I figured that and Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster would be the only episodes never released.

I hope they redo P'YOUMAMAN for Rifftrax, that was one of my favorite MST3Ks.

raditts fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Sep 27, 2015

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I felt that the "William from Georgia to Harlem" short was a good companion to Death Promise, it was the same kind of mix of baffling scenes and dialogue mashed together in a lovely 70's urban setting.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

muscles like this? posted:

Hey, so Playboy.com (yeah, I know) did an interesting article about the shoving match behind the rights to Manos. The Battle Over the Worst Movie Ever. It explains what the gently caress happened to the Rifftrax Live event and why Mike and co dealt with the Manos 2 poo poo. Here's a hint, it involved massive lying.

The guy's son sounds like a massive dickhead. He must not have much going for him in life if he hasn't got better things to do than pester the goon who unearthed his father's lovely movie.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

SirPhoebos posted:

I can't see the point of redoing Pumaman. The MST3K episode knocked it out of the park, and it'd be the same riffers as before. Unless there were some really hilarious scenes that got cut for time

I dunno, they could probably come up with new jokes that are just as good. There were some hilarious things added to the live version of The Room that weren't in the original riff, namely "hip dick".

What I really want them to do some day is Disco Godfather, because holy poo poo that movie. If you liked TWO THINGS in Guy From Harlem, get ready for THREE THINGS

also ANGEL DUSS

raditts fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Sep 29, 2015

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Wandering Knitter posted:

Is there going to be a second showing? I'm horribly sick and had to miss it.

Next Tuesday. I missed it too, serves me right for having kids.

Mr. Fowl posted:

Definitely. Miami Connection being an amazing movie doesn't hurt either.

When it comes to "bad" movies, I would much rather watch Miami Connection than the Room, Troll 2, or Birdemic.

The Room live show was fantastic though, I highly recommend it if they come out with a DVD of it or something.
The riff is a lot better than the original, if only because they have actual jokes in place of all the Disembaudio poo poo.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I caught the encore last night too, it was fantastic. I couldn't figure out why they even bothered with the opening with ninjas crashing a coke deal, because that had absolutely nothing to do with the rest of the movie aside from a guy associated with the ninjas getting in petty squabbles with some lovely college band, then getting his and his friends' asses kicked over and over.

Also, Measuring Man belongs on some kind of watch list.

Toady posted:

Maurice Smith went on to become a UFC heavyweight champion.

I'm surprised he's not standing off to the side with his back turned to everyone while he mumbles and cries about this moment.

Leelee posted:

But have you all seen the original, dark ending to Miami Connection?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHjBideVUSk

"oh no. jim's father is on that plane." :geno:
I was kind of expecting the plane to suddenly crash-land and explode.

raditts fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Oct 7, 2015

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

therealjon_ posted:

lol when "Bruce Lee" shows up.

There were certain things I was expecting from a lovely 80's movie starring JCVD.
What I was not expecting was for JCVD to barely actually feature in the movie, and for there to be an entire act dedicated to the main character having a psychotic break and fantasizing being trained by the first guy off the street that could do an impression of stilted poses from Bruce Lee movies. That was a real treat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

No Retreat is definitely a better watch than Megaforce.

• Locked thread