Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
Anyone have recommendations for reading material for SAN's?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
Any storage guru's recommend any books/guides/technical manuals for learning SAN's? I recently started a job at a Data Center, and am looking to make myself more attractive for promotion. Cisco Cert + SAN experience should fit that bill nicely imo.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
Spoon Daddy, who do you work for? My employer just had a SAN failure the other day that managed to take down our backbone for all of our west coast customers. We had 60 customers down at one time, and it took over 12 hours to bring them all back up.

Wasn't a happy day :(

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005

Maneki Neko posted:

We once hit a bug in Data Ontap while resizing a LUN that knocked one head offline, then the other head took over and continued the same operation, hit the same bug and died too. It took about an hour for everything to come back up and be happy after replaying the logs, but I would classify that as a failure. :)

Going by word of mouth here because I don't actually work in the data center that suffered the failure, but this is kind of what happened to us. We had two SAN's, one was serving as a backup SAN to the first. The first one failed (the reason is being looked into by 3Par) and the second one was supposed to immediately pickup where the other one left off....well it didn't due to a firmware bug that prevented it from coming online.

It was fixed by simply rebooting the device, but it took over 5 hours to come up for some reason and a lot of customers lost data from what I hear.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
woot, found a sweet Windows Based iSCSI SAN solution over at
http://www.datacore.com/ They give you a 30 day trial option, so I downloaded that and am messing around with it on my virtual machines and my main pc. It's pretty interesting so far, I've only just whetted my appetite :)

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
Quick question:

I'm currently on the quest to find the best free iSCSI target software for Windows based systems. So far I've tried SANmelody, which was nice but doesn't offer a free version that I could find. I was looking at Starwind iSCSI target software, but the free version is fairly limited as far as features go. What I'd like is a target software that includes at least IO read/write caching using the system memory, and support for more than one iSCSI connection at a time.

Looking around google and other tech sites, it seems theres a fairly decent offering as far as free iSCSI target software goes. Now most of this software isn't equal in terms of what it offers. Most of the free software is limited to smaller (2TB) share sizes and single iSCSI connections.

I wouldn't be concerned with shelling out a little money for a decent iSCSI initiator, as long as it supports the IO read/write caching and multiple connections.

Does anyone have recommendations as to what the best free target software is for Windows systems?

Also how hard is iSCSI to set up on a Linux computer, especially if I am not that familiar with Linux.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
drat this thread hasn't seen any action for a while.

Anyways, a customer at our DC is getting rid of some old (read: ancient) stuff. Amongst that stuff is an ancient Netapp FAS270 filer head with two or three HD magazines that go with it. I've been thinking of picking it up out of curiosity if I can get it on the cheap, just so I can dabble in some SAN crap. I don't think anything is wrong with it, their tech says his notes tell him that it was phased out for being too monstrous :3

How hopelessly outdated are these things? I believe the HDD magazine has 36GB drives in it, and I know my company has about 9 or 10 older magazines with 16GB drives in them.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
And if they don't, is there an easy way to get documentation/OS for it?

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005

markus876 posted:

The FAS270s aren't really that ancient. They were never known for speed, but they are plenty reliable, and with a few shelves of disks, should move along alright. Really, the biggest performance issue is the small amount of memory that it can use for caching.

If you know someone with a NOW login (now.netapp.com), you can download software for it. I think the 270s were end-of-sale about half a year ago, but they are definitely not end-of-life, so may even be able to buy support for it if you care.

The shelves it uses are hopefully DS14mk2 units. If so, they can take 144 or 300gb FC drives if you want (10k or 15k). I'm also pretty sure you can attach DS14 shelves that are meant for SATA disks if you want capacity.

So to sum up - they aren't fast, but they are pretty reliable, and they are relatively modern / can run modern ontap.

Worst case, I'm sure you can eBay or sell it to a hardware reseller if you can get it cheap.

Erg, I guess I had a mistype, it's not a 270, it's a Net Appliance NetApp F720 :v: and it uses Eurologic NetApp XL501R Fibre Channel JBOD FC9 (I know our company has a bunch of FC7's laying around)

How outdated is that? :)

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
We have a secondary IDF for employee projects ;)

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
Welp, it is a Netapp F720, and it has two HD magazines filled with 32GB drives.

The kicker is that they want 20 bucks for the filer head and 20 dollar for each HD magazine :v:

Not bad for 60 bucks.

So who on here do I know that has access to OpTap 6 software? :v:

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
Welp, I made the plunge :D

Got the filer head, two HD magazines with 7 32GB drives in them each, new in box ( :lol: ) Data OnTap 6.5 OS software (it says its for a FAS250, dunno if it will work), and a shrinkwrapped box with Data ONTAP 6.5.1R1 software in it as well as all the cabling :)

$60

I would post pictars but waffleimages seems to be flooded or something

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
Can someone explain to me how Netapp does their licensing? I bought these F720 filers but I'm having some issues getting it to run properly (which isn't related to licensing), but I've read a blog where if you don't have the right license to run a specific software (NFS/CIFS) the thing is pretty drat useless anyways.

I've gone to the Netapp website and looked up my product serial # and don't see any recent licenses under that number, and it has me worried. I also noticed on Ebay auctions 99% of the time the seller never specifies if the filer comes with a license or not, which may be why things are so cheap.

I figure it probably wouldn't be worth my time/money to buy a license from Netapp, am I right?

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
Well thats part of the problem, I can't access the CLI. Rather the OS wont load all the way.

quote:

Alpha Open Firmware by FirmWorks
Copyright 1995-1998 FirmWorks, Network Appliance. All Rights Reserved.
Firmware release 2.3_a2

Memory size is 256 MB
Testing SIO
Testing LCD
Probing devices
Testing 256MB
Complete
Finding image...
Loading 4 disk@0
100%
Starting ....................................................................... ......
Thu Jan 1 00:00:00 GMT [main_proc]: *** Intel FastEthernet in slot 1 not suppo rted on this platform

NetApp Release 5.3.6R1: Wed Jun 14 18:21:14 PDT 2000
Copyright (c) 1992-2000 Network Appliance, Inc.
Starting boot on Thu Dec 11 19:11:20 GMT 2008
Scanning for disk drives: Unsupported NVRAM size: 0MB

ok
ok go
Processor hard err. No device found at addr 1201014.
PANIC: UNCORR PROC MCHK 98 pc:fffffc0000054738 pyxis:80800080 mm:da10 eia:f7ff7e6bb0 fs:0c2e eis:5000000 isr: 80200000 pci0:706010c pci1:16 pci2:1201014 mesr:58000000 mear:43e750 on release NetApp Release 5.3.6R1 on Thu Dec 11 19:14:38 2008

version: NetApp Release 5.3.6R1: Wed Jun 14 18:21:14 PDT 2000
cc flags: 1
dumping core: No RAID data or parity disks found -- core not dumped.

I'm guessing it's a CPU issue

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
Probably because I don't have pm on SA :(

I'll try moving some poo poo around and see what happens, although there is only 1 free slot on a 720 :)

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
heyyyy, it breathes!

quote:

Alpha Open Firmware by FirmWorks
Copyright 1995-1998 FirmWorks, Network Appliance. All Rights Reserved.
Firmware release 2.3_a2

Memory size is 256 MB
Testing SIO
Testing LCD
Probing devices
Testing 256MB
Complete
Finding image...
Loading 4 disk@0
100%
Starting .............................................................................

NetApp Release 5.3.6R1: Wed Jun 14 18:21:14 PDT 2000
Copyright (c) 1992-2000 Network Appliance, Inc.
Starting boot on Thu Dec 11 21:21:01 GMT 2008
Scanning for disk drives: ..............
Configuring disk drives: 8.1 8.14 8.2 8.10 8.3 8.8 8.13 8.5 8.11 8.12 8.4 8.6 8.9 8.0
Disk 8.2 is reserved for "hot spare"

1 disk is reserved for "hot spare".
Restoring parity from NVRAM
Loading volume vol0
Thu Dec 11 21:21:25 GMT [consumer]: Beginning parity recomputation on volume vol0, RAID group 0.
Replaying WAFL log
Thu Dec 11 21:21:29 GMT [rc]: NIS: Group Caching has been disabled
Thu Dec 11 21:21:36 GMT [rc]: Ethernet e0: Link down.
add net default: gateway 192.168.10.1
NFS server is running.
Thu Dec 11 21:21:48 GMT [rc]: Ethernet e0: Link down.
Thu Dec 11 21:21:48 GMT [rc]: relog syslog Thu Dec 11 21:17:28 GMT [power_low_monitor]: Power Supply #2 Failed

Thu Dec 11 21:21:48 GMT [rc]: relog syslog Thu Dec 11 21:17:28 GMT [power_low_monitor]: Power supply is in degraded mode!

Thu Dec 11 21:21:48 GMT [rc]: NetApp Release 5.3.6R1 boot complete. Last disk update written at Thu Dec 11 21:17:27 GMT 2008

Thu Dec 11 21:21:48 GMT [httpd_acceptor]: HTTP MIME Types file (/etc/httpd.mimetypes) is missing

Password:

Heh only problem is that I have no idea what the pw is going to be on it, and neither does the guy I bought it from.

I assume there's going to be a way to reset it to something I want, correct?

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005

H110Hawk posted:

I know nothing at all about ONTAP5, in 6+ you would hit control-C sometime after starting and before it prints the OS banner, and press that you needed to reset the password. In Ontap 5.3.6R1 according to NOW:

Welp I'm at a loss here. I need that system boot diskette, but I don't have access to a NOW subscription, so I can't download the software for the boot diskette :(

Anyone know how I can get my hands on it?

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
Well seeing as how my last question never was really answered, I'll just come out and ask:

Can anyone get me the Data ONTAP 5.3.6R1 system diskette? I need to reset the password on this thing to find the license files, and until I do I'm stuck :(

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
Well the Platinum link is broked, so my email is wicaeed@gmail.com

Thanks.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
Can anyone with a Netapp Now subscription tell me if the ONTAP 6.5.1R1 is installable on a FAS720? I'm reading the documentation that came with my ONTAP release CD, and it says there should be a folder called Alpha for the F700 series filers under CD-Drive:\ONTAP\6_5_1R1, however my CD only has folders X86 and MIPS. Do I have a "special" cd or am I missing a folder?

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
I don't have a Now subscription, but I have a disk with the 6.5.1R1 ONTAP release on it, but it seems to be missing some files...

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
Is the Microsoft iSCSI Initiator literally unable to recognize when an iSCSI target is configured with more than 1 LUN?

I've got a target I'm trying to connect to with two configured LUNS (LUN 0 and LUN 1), and this stupid software only seems to see the partition that is configured as LUN0

WTC Microsoft :psyduck:

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005

Internet Explorer posted:

Ah... no? You should see all the LUNs that that host has access to.

Ah, I figured it out. I had to disconnect all the current sessions and reconnect, then rescan for disks to see the newly created LUN

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
Interesting, looks like Netgear is taking the plunge into Storage Area Networks

http://netgear.com/business/products/storage/ReadyDATA-family/RD521210.aspx#one

The hardware itself looks like rebranded Supermicro chassis, although I'm curious simply due to the fact how outstanding our lower end Netgear ReadyNAS has been so far.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
So my work just got an Equillogic PS4100 for our DR site, however our Sr. Sysadmin who is going to be setting it up is on vacation for two weeks or so. :swoon:

Having never had the opportunity to fool around with anything SAN related (and having gotten approval from my boss), what would be a good starting point for me to start configuring this thing?

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005

sanchez posted:

We have some 4100's, they are cake. EQL's documentation should be enough to get you up and running. If you can, install esxi on a workstation or something and get that talking to the SAN. If you have a pair of spare switches then make the setup redundant.

Unfortunately that's the one thing we are lacking (spare networking hardware) :(

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
Does anyone know much about the Dell Online courses for Into to EqualLogic PS Series Storage Arrays? Specificially if we purchase training for them (but share a login for the account the training was purchased on) can we view the training at any time even after completing it?

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
I don't understand how Broadcom is still in business...it seems that any time I run into an iSCSI issue it involves some sort of Broadcom networking equipment :argh:

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005

Linux Nazi posted:

New toys arrived. Fully outfitted 5700s and frame-licensed vplex. x2 of course.

Still waiting on the bump up from 1gb to 10gb interconnects between our datacenters (which is essentially just updating the bandwidth statement), but we start going over the vplex design tomorrow with EMC to whiteboard and see how we need to cable everything up.

Should be interesting. The idea is a VMWare stretched / metro cluster. We are 99% virtualized, and we already have layer 2 spanning courtesy of OTV. With vplex taking care of the storage side, we can essentially put one datacenter's ESXi hosts into maintenance mode and go to lunch while we wait for things to gracefully vmotion to the other side of town.

Right now we are all RecoverPoint and SRM, it works pretty well, but failovers are a huge event.

:negative: How do you get a job doing something like that? I'm DYING to get into Virtualization/Data storage, however the company I work for doesn't really have any plans to really do anything like that.

I'm fairly familiar with VMware, but not so much on the storage side.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
Small/Mid-Size storage time:

I'm right in the middle of a poorly planned project, which is partly my fault (first time doing virtualization on this scale (~150 VMs, all in a test environment)), partly the fault of the fact that I had absolutely 0 budget aside from spare parts laying around our shop, and partly the fault of our parent company coming and saying "Lets test this new product feature that would require a massive hardware purchase to do this on physical boxes."

Our shop is small enough/new enough (and in the past, poorly managed enough) to not really have much in the way of properly implemented shared storage. The only Enterprise level SAN equipment we have is an aging Equallogic PS3000 series array, and a a new Equallogic PS4110/PS6110 array duo that is going to be used in our production Datacenter to host a new billing environment.

I'm looking into storage solutions right now for this Virtualization project (hopefully with the additional storage/performance capacity to handle another upcoming Virtualization project as we rebuild our company server room (~30 servers, most lightly used)) with roughly the following requirements:

~20TB Raw capacity
1Gbit/10Gbit redundant controllers
Snapshot support
Thin Provisioning support
Deduplication Support (This one is huge. I don't understand very much about dedup, other than the fact that the potential savings on storage is too important to ignore). I've been toying with Dedup on Windows Server 2012, and am impressed so far.

I should mention at this point that the budget I've been tentatively given is in the $20,000 area.

As I said before we have roughly 150 VM's in a test environment, with plans to do further virtualization projects as we can. I'm starting to look at vendor offerings with the above requirements, and so far I've found the following:

EMC VNXe3150
Nimble CS220
Tigile HA2100

I found the EMC VNXe3150 around that area, but I'm curious as to the other two vendors. Has anyone worked/partnered with them and are familiar with their pricing/drawbacks/feature sets?

edit: I should also mention at this point that we are a Dell shop, so we may be getting good pricing on EMC hardware.

Wicaeed fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Aug 19, 2013

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
No, you're right. Ideally we would be putting all of our vms on this storage. As I said before though, its for a test environment so our IOPS requirements aren't insane.

We might be able to get away with multiple Gbit nics instead of 10 Gbit, or a single Gbit controller.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Just because I am curious you are planning to use that PS3000 in your new environment as some "low performance storage"? Reclaiming that device, maybe applying any needed firmware updates and renewing a warranty can be a load cheaper than replacing another storage device; Granted of course there are no known issues/incompatibilities with it.

I'm not really sure what's running on it, which kind of scares me. I would assume that at some point in the future as we move away from our old equipment, this hardware would be freed up, but there no eta at this point.

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

The VNXe 3150 is really good for the price if you are getting all those features(dedupe) + support that is a very, very good deal.

I guess my question are;
Is Dedupe a hard requirement? Are you planning to run VM's on this storage or is it just going to be for cold data? You could run into some serious headaches trying to run Dedupe where VM's are active.
If you want 10Gb do you have the line of site from storage-to-switch-to-host of 10Gb, why are you going 10Gb?
Without Dedupe what kind of storage capacities are you looking at when this project goes live to 2-3 years or when you have the budget to add additional storage?
What are your IOPS averaged at for this storage? What kind of activity? Mostly reads?

Dedup would be a "nice as gently caress to have" feature. The 150 VM's that we currently run have many of the same files on them (same OS, mostly the same packages), but I'm not quite sure how dedup works for virtualization workloads vs file-level workloads. I suppose if it's getting dedup vs. getting an extra raw storage, we could make do with the extra storage.

That's actually a really good point about the Gbit thing. Right now we don't have any 10Gbit networking available to us, and we have enough quad port gigabit nics laying around that we could easily make do without the 10Gbit, and upgrade at a later date.

As for the IOPS load, I'm pretty sure that 95% of the time these machines are idle/light IO for reading, except for when some dev hops on 8 members of the cluster to run an update script which absolutely cripples the current DAS storage(4x 600GB 10K RPM drives in a raid-5 array). The script they run deploys a ~4GB package to each clusters member machines. Each cluster manager PXE boots it's own members, so it's 8 managers deploying a 4GB package to three members of it's own cluster at once (4GB file * 3 members on each cluster * 8 clusters = 96GB of writing occurring). The devs aren't used to virtualization so they assume that they can run this script with no performance hit on the cluster :rolleyes:

I think, per VM, the write IOPS is about 200 when updating. It's pretty negligable otherwise.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005

Wicaeed posted:

Small/Mid-Size storage time:

I'm right in the middle of a poorly planned project, which is partly my fault (first time doing virtualization on this scale (~150 VMs, all in a test environment)), partly the fault of the fact that I had absolutely 0 budget aside from spare parts laying around our shop, and partly the fault of our parent company coming and saying "Lets test this new product feature that would require a massive hardware purchase to do this on physical boxes."

Our shop is small enough/new enough (and in the past, poorly managed enough) to not really have much in the way of properly implemented shared storage. The only Enterprise level SAN equipment we have is an aging Equallogic PS3000 series array, and a a new Equallogic PS4110/PS6110 array duo that is going to be used in our production Datacenter to host a new billing environment.

I'm looking into storage solutions right now for this Virtualization project (hopefully with the additional storage/performance capacity to handle another upcoming Virtualization project as we rebuild our company server room (~30 servers, most lightly used)) with roughly the following requirements:

~20TB Raw capacity
1Gbit/10Gbit redundant controllers
Snapshot support
Thin Provisioning support
Deduplication Support (This one is huge. I don't understand very much about dedup, other than the fact that the potential savings on storage is too important to ignore). I've been toying with Dedup on Windows Server 2012, and am impressed so far.

I should mention at this point that the budget I've been tentatively given is in the $20,000 area.

As I said before we have roughly 150 VM's in a test environment, with plans to do further virtualization projects as we can. I'm starting to look at vendor offerings with the above requirements, and so far I've found the following:

EMC VNXe3150
Nimble CS220
Tigile HA2100

I found the EMC VNXe3150 around that area, but I'm curious as to the other two vendors. Has anyone worked/partnered with them and are familiar with their pricing/drawbacks/feature sets?

edit: I should also mention at this point that we are a Dell shop, so we may be getting good pricing on EMC hardware.

So, quick follow-up to this:

Following two meetings with EMC, it is clear that their storage product lineup goes faaaaaaarrr beyond anything Equallogic offers. Seriously, the Equallogic setup we are planning for right now comes off as a simple DAS array compared to the offerings EMC has. Storage tiering with multiple disk types on a single shelf is extremely attractive to us, so much so that we actually have a budget in the 50,000 range now for EMC :dance:

The fact that our Dept VP and Manager are both on board with this speaks greatly. Looks like we might have EMC coming our way soon!

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005

szlevi posted:

^^^THIS - end of the year is THE BEST and end of a quarter is second best time to buy anything and all things you've mentioned will make them even sweeter. I literally almost never buy anything in-between quarters.

Can pretty much confirm this. Our company was testing the waters with EMC to see what they could get us, and while we were asking for a VNX5200 (new model) it seems that EMC is desperate to make a deal as they bumped us up to a VNX5400 w/20TB usable & ~37k IOPS for around $60,000 price point.

Can anyone confirm if that's as big of a deal as I think it is?

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005

evil_bunnY posted:

How many drives is that 37k figure?

Disk Tab information on their quote is:

600 GB 10k Vault Pack (4 Drives)
11 x 600GB 10K SAS Disk Drives
13 x 2TB NL-SAS Disk Drives
3 x 100GB FAST CACHE EFD
6 x 400GB FAST VP EFD

+ 36 Months Enhanced HW\SW Support

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005

theperminator posted:

Note to self: to move an eql member to a different pool, use "Modify Member configuration" rather than "Delete Member" from within the pool...

Setting up a new san so luckily no data is involved, but now I have to drive back to the DC to plug in with serial again...
God I'm poo poo at my job.

Take that time to make sure you have each controllers serial port plugged into a separate server, and have that server recorded :)

I am in the process of creating a new Equallogic cluster to host all of our production billing information and make drat sure I completed that step before we even started testing :)

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
Do you really need multiple VLANs for MPIO?

I'm setting up an MSSQL Cluster running on an Equallogic backend, and it whines about not having multiple networks for the storage NICs, but works fine if both NICs are on the same subnet.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005

NullPtr4Lunch posted:

^^^^^ This. ^^^^^

I just got rid of a pair of Cisco 2960S-24G's we had for storage that were dropping output packets all over the place because they have a 384kb per-asic buffer. That's 12 ports sharing a 384kb buffer at 1gbps with jumbo frames. Bad Juju!

Woah, must know more about this...

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
I've been messing around with OpenFiler as a replacement for the lovely proprietary software we currently use called Open-E. I got a chance to reinstall one of these systems about 8 months ago with OpenFiler, and so far it's been running like a champ (no crashes or system hiccups) yet.

My company has 8 or so 24 disk Supermicro chassis w/24GB RAM, decent CPU and a kind of lovely RAID controller.

What options would I have for software that would let me create a cluster out of these systems and let me tier them (some have 7.2k RPM 1TB disks, others have 15K RPM 400GB SAS drives)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005

Linux Nazi posted:

Seriously Neat poo poo

Oh god I want your job :swoon: