Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a egg
Jan 10, 2006

ultrafilter posted:

Most graduate programs are really picking about letting you transfer credit. Check with your program's policies, but don't be surprised if they're stingy.

Oh yeah no doubt. I had the chair of the department confirm I can transfer at least nine, so I'm pretty happy about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

propecia
Oct 22, 2008
Any first year MBAs here really glad to be done with the semester but also really concerned about internship interviewing season coming up?

Modern Life Is War
Aug 17, 2006

I'm not just eye candy

propecia posted:

Any first year MBAs here really glad to be done with the semester but also really concerned about internship interviewing season coming up?

I'm happy that the first semester is coming to a close as a part-timer. Then my time spent between school, work, and driving between those places drops from 70 hours to 60 hours and I get to see my friends again and focus on not being part of my company's announced layoffs.

Modern Life Is War
Aug 17, 2006

I'm not just eye candy
So how did everybody do this semester? I passed calculus--the professor gave me the lowest possible grade necessary to not have to retake the class.

mvc
Sep 24, 2007
Does anyone know anything about Canadian schools when it comes to MBAs? They're probably less known than American schools, but there are a few pretty good business schools here such as Sauder (in Vancouver).

Are there any Canadian schools that are considered good in the business world, that I could use over the world and people would at least have heard of them?

locdogg
Nov 16, 2000

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mvc posted:

Does anyone know anything about Canadian schools when it comes to MBAs? They're probably less known than American schools, but there are a few pretty good business schools here such as Sauder (in Vancouver).

Are there any Canadian schools that are considered good in the business world, that I could use over the world and people would at least have heard of them?

There are a few good schools in the wintry north, but most of them tend to be located predictably in the eastern bits. Queens is supposedly pretty good, as is U of Toronto, York, and McGill. From what I can tell though, Ivey in London, ON is supposedly the best though. They probably get positive press/name recognition due to their published cases, as it's one of the few that I've ever heard with much name recognition outside of Canada (and I'm from Detroit, so the circle of name recognition shrinks further from the border).

Unfortunately for Canadians, most Canadian universities just don't have much name recognition outside of Canada, at least not in the USA. That's probably why so many Canadians choose to pursue their MBA in the US.

mvc
Sep 24, 2007

locdogg posted:

There are a few good schools in the wintry north, but most of them tend to be located predictably in the eastern bits. Queens is supposedly pretty good, as is U of Toronto, York, and McGill. From what I can tell though, Ivey in London, ON is supposedly the best though. They probably get positive press/name recognition due to their published cases, as it's one of the few that I've ever heard with much name recognition outside of Canada (and I'm from Detroit, so the circle of name recognition shrinks further from the border).

Unfortunately for Canadians, most Canadian universities just don't have much name recognition outside of Canada, at least not in the USA. That's probably why so many Canadians choose to pursue their MBA in the US.

Thanks for the heads up. But is there a Canadian equivalent to the GMAT? Because I know we dont have the SATs here for post-secondary, so I was wondering if business schools giving out MBAs had something else in place for the GMAT?

locdogg
Nov 16, 2000

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mvc posted:

Thanks for the heads up. But is there a Canadian equivalent to the GMAT? Because I know we dont have the SATs here for post-secondary, so I was wondering if business schools giving out MBAs had something else in place for the GMAT?

The GMAT is pretty global as far as I can tell. For example, Ivey asks for it, so does McGill, and I imagine most serious programs regardless of the location would. It's a pretty general test, and it's not like they'd have to tailor it too much, just change all mention "houses" to "igloos" in the verbal section and you should be all set for Canadians.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Just got back from taking the GMATs and I had a couple questions to throw out there.

Overall I did rather well (Quant 44, Verbal 42, overall 710), but didn't score quite as I'd expected. In the two formal practice tests from MBA.com I got a 730 (48/41) and a 710 (48/40), so I'd been anticipating to do better on the math. However, my undergrad degree is in Aerospace Engineering, so I should hope I'd be able to convince any committee that my quantative skills are up to snuff. I don't feel a need to retake it unless someone can convince me it's a good enough idea to spend $250.

Both Chicago Booth and Northwestern are about a 4 hour drive away. My GMAT score, plus undergrad GPA, and having a graduate degree in engineering I would think would make me fairly competitive for either of their weekend programs. Baring that the University of Iowa's Tippie school, which is ranked in tier two by Business Week, is right next door.

Do any goons have insight on whether it would be worth subjecting myself to 8 hours of driving each weekend for 2 1/2 years in order to get the MBA from Northwestern or Chicago (assuming I get accepted) as opposed to the mid ranked closer school? My career goals aren't to go into finance or Wall street or anything, I'd like to stay in engineering with the goal for the MBA to put myself in a position to move up to the executive level.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

Thoguh posted:

Just got back from taking the GMATs and I had a couple questions to throw out there.

Overall I did rather well (Quant 44, Verbal 42, overall 710), but didn't score quite as I'd expected. In the two formal practice tests from MBA.com I got a 730 (48/41) and a 710 (48/40), so I'd been anticipating to do better on the math. However, my undergrad degree is in Aerospace Engineering, so I should hope I'd be able to convince any committee that my quantative skills are up to snuff. I don't feel a need to retake it unless someone can convince me it's a good enough idea to spend $250.

Both Chicago Booth and Northwestern are about a 4 hour drive away. My GMAT score, plus undergrad GPA, and having a graduate degree in engineering I would think would make me fairly competitive for either of their weekend programs. Baring that the University of Iowa's Tippie school, which is ranked in tier two by Business Week, is right next door.

Do any goons have insight on whether it would be worth subjecting myself to 8 hours of driving each weekend for 2 1/2 years in order to get the MBA from Northwestern or Chicago (assuming I get accepted) as opposed to the mid ranked closer school? My career goals aren't to go into finance or Wall street or anything, I'd like to stay in engineering with the goal for the MBA to put myself in a position to move up to the executive level.
I am no expert but going to the U of Iowa might be your best bet. It is still a good school so it isn't like you are going to Podunk U. Also, all that driving is going to be a pain in the rear end.

Northwestern and Chicago are great schools so I don't blame you for wanting to go there. But for your career goals, it might be better to save money and driving time by going to Iowa.

Deadpan Science
Sep 6, 2005

by angerbeet
The average scores for all the top B-schools are around 700-715, so what's with people being upset when they get scores that are essentially the average? Obviously a higher number is better, but do those extra 10 points really differentiate people in a way that couldn't be made up for in an admissions essay?

Deadpan Science fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jan 11, 2009

Arzy
Apr 17, 2003

You are the Dragonborn, Ride forth to your Destiny

Thoguh posted:

I went to Chicago. IF you can get into Kellogg or the GSB (gently caress Booth) you should do anything possible to attend one or the other.

Carfax Report
May 17, 2003

Ravage the land as never before, total destruction from mountain to shore!

propecia posted:

I was because I recruited for banking this fall, but then the semester ended and I regained my sanity.

I'm at Columbia and happy to answer any questions about either life at school or the application process.

Btw, zmcnulty, it's been a while. How are things across the pond? I'd love to go back there for the summer.

MikeyKins
May 9, 2004

Dan, there's a reason why we get emails calling you Le Bafart, Le Baturd, Le Bajerk...
So I've decided that getting my MBA/MHRM is the way to go. A couple questions, and if people have answers that'd be sweet:

1) When it came to tests while getting my BBA, I was really good at essay based exams, and TERRIBLE and specific memory tests (things like multiple choice questions). Basically, if I can explain myself, I kick rear end. Is this orientation going to help or hinder me on the GMAT?
2) Right now I'm planning on registering to write the GMAT mid-late April or early May at the latest, does this sound reasonable time to commit to preparing for it?
3) The program I'd ideally like to get into is a two semester program. 1 in class, and 1 internship/research paper semester. Typically, how intense are the in class segments?
4) This one is really just for Canadians, I got my undergrad degree from U of Regina, and I'd like to get into either York or Ryerson, which are 3-4x the cost of going to the Kenneth Levene (on the U of R campus), is it worth the extra investment for the name on the paper? I know it's big in the US, but do Bay Street employers care as much as Wallstreet employers?
5) Also for Canadians, did you find more emphasis was placed on character assessments (interviews, resumes) or scores (undergrad grades and GMAT scores)

propecia
Oct 22, 2008
These past few weeks have been pretty rough for first year intern recruiting. I go to a Top 20, and while brand management jobs seem to be okay (CPGs seem to be better off right now), corporate finance positions have been extremely scarce.

LofwyrSai
Jul 19, 2006

Le réalité et toi, vous ne vous entendez pas, n'est-ce pas?

propecia posted:

These past few weeks have been pretty rough for first year intern recruiting. I go to a Top 20, and while brand management jobs seem to be okay (CPGs seem to be better off right now), corporate finance positions have been extremely scarce.

I can only imagine. MBA internships are hard enough to find in good times.

Modern Life Is War
Aug 17, 2006

I'm not just eye candy
How's everybody's semester going?

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Modern Life Is War posted:

How's everybody's semester going?

Halfway through my final semester. Destroying the competition in our capstone course (basically a degree-encompassing business simulation), and enjoying my negotiations class. Investments is boring as hell, though, but I need to take it.

propecia
Oct 22, 2008
Pretty well. It's a pretty good time to learn finance.

Buff Butler
Mar 11, 2008

gamer death money

Milky_Sauce posted:

I currently have a pretty good job, but am looking to move up in the company. Basically the only way is to bust your rear end for 20 years, or get some sort of degree. I am currently going for a bachelor's in business.

I am wondering if an MBA is worth it to me or not. Please note I am completely awful in math, and will be lucky to pass pre-calc. However, I am currently obtaining a 3.9 GPA 50 or so credits in (1 lousy B in history). However, I am not going to an amazing school or anything. It's a state school, but not exactly a community college. Will my near-perfect GPA (hopefully it stays that way) offset the fact that I went to a school almost anyone can get into?

Is a bachelor's in business pretty much laughable? Meaning, am I wasting my time if I don't eventually go for an MBA?

GPA does not mean poo poo in the real world. I finished grad school with a 3.95 GPA. Nobody cares.

But yeah, a bachelor's in business is definitely not a wasted investment. If you're still young, go on and get your MBA. It's a great investment. It will pay for itself, trust me.

Also, don't get hung up on the name of your school. As long as it's not an online diploma mill with University of Phoenix accreditation, it's good enough. Having a better school on your resume will help you get an interview, but if you're floating resumes to posted openings, you're doin' it wrong anyway.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Buff Butler posted:

GPA does not mean poo poo in the real world. I finished grad school with a 3.95 GPA. Nobody cares.

If you'd finished with a 2.95, you would find that people do care.

Modern Life Is War
Aug 17, 2006

I'm not just eye candy

ultrafilter posted:

If you'd finished with a 2.95, you would find that people do care.

I wish I had a 2.95...

ion
Mar 23, 2004

by Peatpot
What's the difference between a BBA and a MBA in terms of curriculum? It seems to me that they are almost nearly identical; in fact, I know one school setting up an accelerated MBA program now for BBA graduates because they're noticing this..

ion fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Feb 26, 2009

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

ion posted:

What's the difference between a BBA and a MBA in terms of curriculum? It seems to me that they are almost nearly identical; in fact, I know one school setting up an accelerated MBA program now for BBA graduates because they're noticing this..

Depends on the school. Consider the two top-ranked BBA programs. At the University of Virginia, the undergrad and graduate business schools aren't even on the same campus, and there are some major differences in the possible concentrations. At the University of Pennsylvania, the second-year MBA courses are cross-listed with the junior/senior-level electives. Anything in between is possible.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.
I haven't begun putting serious thought into pursuing an MBA yet (25, newly married, looking for a house, broke) but I can feel the urge coming in the future. I received my BS in Computer Science at Georgia State University 2 years ago, and have been working as a Systems Administrator for a little over a year now. I love it, but I also love finance and project management and figure I would be a good fit to move up into an IT management position eventually.

I glanced at the GSU Robinson College of Law website today and noticed they have a 1 year MS-MIT program that looks good for me and I had some questions relating to this and MBAs in general.

Will an MS-MIT be as well/better regarded as a standard MBA inside the IT world? Outside?
Is GSU's business school as good as its reputation around Atlanta is whether I get this or an MBA later? I see the words "Top Ten" thrown around a lot on their website.
Is it typically easier to get into a business school at your Alma Mater?

The program cost is $39,500 inclusive of tuition/books/meals(Meals? For a 1 year course that only meets on campus every other Saturday?). I did just see it requires 5-8 years of experience in my field, so it looks like I won't be going anytime soon, but I want to be able to play ahead.

LofwyrSai
Jul 19, 2006

Le réalité et toi, vous ne vous entendez pas, n'est-ce pas?

Arzakon posted:

Will an MS-MIT be as well/better regarded as a standard MBA inside the IT world? Outside?
Is GSU's business school as good as its reputation around Atlanta is whether I get this or an MBA later? I see the words "Top Ten" thrown around a lot on their website.
Is it typically easier to get into a business school at your Alma Mater?

1. Don't know this for sure but usually IT doesn't care too much about an MBA. Architecture perhaps...

2. Atlanta area MBA overall quality / rep is as follows: Emory, Georgia Tech, U of Georgia, Georgia State. It really isn't that good and isn't "top 10" anything.
*however this does not make it a horrible option - depends on your goals*

3. Slight edge

Don Wrigley
Jun 8, 2006

King O Frod

LofwyrSai posted:

1. Don't know this for sure but usually IT doesn't care too much about an MBA. Architecture perhaps...

This is not true at all. Almost every person in my IT organization above my manager (my manager would be considered middle management, her manager would be considered upper management) is an MBA.

Modern Life Is War
Aug 17, 2006

I'm not just eye candy

Don Wrigley posted:

This is not true at all. Almost every person in my IT organization above my manager (my manager would be considered middle management, her manager would be considered upper management) is an MBA.

I agree--there appears to be more engineers (and accountants) in my MBA program than finance people, such as myself.

ion
Mar 23, 2004

by Peatpot

ultrafilter posted:

Depends on the school. Consider the two top-ranked BBA programs. At the University of Virginia, the undergrad and graduate business schools aren't even on the same campus, and there are some major differences in the possible concentrations. At the University of Pennsylvania, the second-year MBA courses are cross-listed with the junior/senior-level electives. Anything in between is possible.
So given that there is extreme variation among the top BBA programs, then I take it that the redundancy of course material of MBA to BBA programs doesn't matter (otherwise this variation would not be happening) to students and teachers.

Put another way, the MBA is really a BBA degree dressed up as a Master's, making it particularly useless if you already have a BBA and care about what you learn as opposed to simply buying a master's credential?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

You have the option of studying something different for your MBA, but yes, if you already have a BBA, the major value in getting an MBA is getting to say you have an MBA. Depending on where your MBA is from, it might be worth it.

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

I'm cranky most of the time.
This sort of related, and I'm mostly just curious but does the CFA mean anything more than "you must be this tall to ride this attraction?" I'm looking at the coursework as a way to round out my understanding of banking and investments, but have absolutely no desire to be an analyst. Just wondering if it's worth the money to get the certification if you don't care about a job where it's a pre-req.

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

CFA is a lot cheaper than an MBA and a solid qualification. I worked at a hedge fund for a while, there were no MBA's but 2/3rds of the staff had CFA's. I work for a large financial organisation now (not in finance) and the only qualifications people seem to bother listing is CFA.

I did a G.Dip in Applied Finance for the same reason as you, so if you have an undergrad degree see if you can find something like that. It's been totally worth it for me.

The full CFA is a lot of effort though. You might want to aim just for level 1 and that will do you.

unixbeard fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Mar 18, 2009

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

also more MBA related: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/education/article5821706.ece

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
What do y'all know about Health Care MBA programs? Currently I work as a Med Tech at a very highly regarded clinical reference lab. I want to get ahead in the health care sector and was wondering if I should consider a Health administration MBA. The university of Colorado Denver offers a mostly online Executive MBA program in the field. I want to know if:

1. It's a worthwhile investment
2. What kind of experience should I have before i apply
3. How hard it is to get into your run of the mill state university MBA programs.

Any insights or advice would be awesome

Marilyn Mansons
Nov 23, 2007

by Fistgrrl
Does anyone have anecdotal information on AGSM? I am thinking of maybe studying there, and i've seen where it generally ranks on magazine lists, but i'd like to hear from real people I guess.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Are there any MBA programs that will completely disregard GPA in favor of GMAT + experience? A quick perusal of an Australian MBA school seems to indicate that they do this...any US schools that are similar?

quote:

Entry requirements

Applicants require either:

* a Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) overall minimum score of 550, or
* a minimum Grade Point Average (GPA) of 2.75 out of 4 with less than 10 per cent fail grades, or
* a minimum of at least four years' relevant work experience.

Further information is available at: https://www.gsb.uts.edu.au/student/gmat
Applicants also require one of the following:

* a degree from a UTS-recognised university
* a relevant graduate diploma from UTS or another recognised tertiary education institution, or
* a relevant graduate certificate from UTS or another recognised tertiary education institution, with at least a credit average.

Note: If your previous education was conducted overseas, you may need to successfully complete an English language test.
http://datasearch.uts.edu.au/business/gsb/courses/details.cfm?spk_cd=C04018

propecia
Oct 22, 2008
I think most MBA programs pretty much look at GMAT + experience anyway. If you feel that your GPA would keep you out of a school, address it (as a learning/growth experience) in the optional essay during application.

propecia
Oct 22, 2008

oxsnard posted:

1. It's a worthwhile investment
2. What kind of experience should I have before i apply
3. How hard it is to get into your run of the mill state university MBA programs.

Any insights or advice would be awesome

Vanderbilt has a health care MBA that is very highly regarded. However, it is a full time program.

I'm not sure if I can answer the first question - it really depends on how much value you place on your current employment and location. Some people are willing to give up two years of income and move across the country to go to a top school for the hope of a 125k+ a year payday after graduation. Other people get their MBA on the weekend because of their job, family, etc. It depends on fit I guess.

I really hate to sound like the people on the Business Week forums or (even worse) College Confidential, but the MBA is obviously not equal between programs. You could go to UVa Darden, which is known as one of tougher programs as far as workload, or you could get it from UPhoenix online. Employers are going to value these differently - but again, it all depends on what works for you and what you want out of it.

As far as experience is concerned, most programs say at least 2-4 years.

ion
Mar 23, 2004

by Peatpot

More: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/15/business/15school.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlushablPet
Apr 27, 2002
AtKajAndAarAt
How would any NYC goons rate CUNY Baruch's Zicklin School of Business MBA program?

I work in the city, and want to pursue an MBA part time next year while sustaining my job and much needed income; Baruch and NYU have been two of the schools I was considering. NYU, I've crossed off for various reasons. Columbia would have been another option, but they don't seem to have a PT program yet.