Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

"I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who beat you, and pray for them to beat the shit out of the Buckeyes" - The Book of Witten
I've been thinking about grad school, but am more interested in Finance than general management. I'm planning on getting a CPA, but fall a few hours short of qualifying to sit for it, so I was thinking of augmenting my education with another degree. In lieu of an MBA, I've been considering a Masters in Finance and also attaining my level 1 CFA. Has anyone had good experiences with Masters in Finance programs? Or know of any good risk-management programs? I'd really appreciate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carfax Report
May 17, 2003

Ravage the land as never before, total destruction from mountain to shore!

@KJ&AR@ posted:

How would any NYC goons rate CUNY Baruch's Zicklin School of Business MBA program?

I work in the city, and want to pursue an MBA part time next year while sustaining my job and much needed income; Baruch and NYU have been two of the schools I was considering. NYU, I've crossed off for various reasons. Columbia would have been another option, but they don't seem to have a PT program yet.

CU has an EMBA program. It's our part-time program. It's aimed at older/experienced workers and is more expensive than the regular MBA though.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

SiDeath posted:

I've been thinking about grad school, but am more interested in Finance than general management. I'm planning on getting a CPA, but fall a few hours short of qualifying to sit for it, so I was thinking of augmenting my education with another degree. In lieu of an MBA, I've been considering a Masters in Finance and also attaining my level 1 CFA. Has anyone had good experiences with Masters in Finance programs? Or know of any good risk-management programs? I'd really appreciate it.

If you're interested in general finance, why are you looking at a CPA? And if you want to get a CPA, why aren't you looking at accounting programs?

Modern Life Is War
Aug 17, 2006

I'm not just eye candy

@KJ&AR@ posted:

How would any NYC goons rate CUNY Baruch's Zicklin School of Business MBA program?

I work in the city, and want to pursue an MBA part time next year while sustaining my job and much needed income; Baruch and NYU have been two of the schools I was considering. NYU, I've crossed off for various reasons. Columbia would have been another option, but they don't seem to have a PT program yet.

How about Pace? Their PT program stood out when I was looking around...

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

"I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who beat you, and pray for them to beat the shit out of the Buckeyes" - The Book of Witten

ultrafilter posted:

If you're interested in general finance, why are you looking at a CPA? And if you want to get a CPA, why aren't you looking at accounting programs?

I have most of the accounting knowledge I need already, having covered everything my undergrad education had through Tax Accounting but I don't want primarily to be a Tax Professional. I know there are many facets to accounting, but I want to attain a CPA as a way to make myself more competitive in the job market.

Additionally, if I can't find anything, I have been offered my mom's accounting practice to take over in time, so having a CPA would be crucial. If I went that route, I'd additionally like to be able to offer a wider range of consulting options, given that she has a large population of high net worth clients. They do estate planning and such already, so by achieving an additional charter/certification I could offer more services. I suppose it all depends really. I'm too inexperienced to make a definitive decision and probably too young to know any better. I'm already out of school and am in a long-term internship, but I'd like to be able to put together a plan with contingencies.

Oh and I meant that I want to get a degree in addition to qualifying to sit for the CPA, which I'm currently less than a semester's worth of classes short of. I figure I might as well go crazy.

exiledone
May 18, 2006
Is it worth pursuing an MBA when I already have like 90k in undergraduate student loans (about 20k is student loans in my name)? I have a full-time job, but they only reimburse up to $7500 per year.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Do a simple cost-benefit analysis? It depends on what you want to do post-MBA, if there's any intrinsic value that you'd attach to those three letters after your name, etc.

propecia
Oct 22, 2008

exiledone posted:

Is it worth pursuing an MBA when I already have like 90k in undergraduate student loans (about 20k is student loans in my name)? I have a full-time job, but they only reimburse up to $7500 per year.

If you want my opinion, I would not do that right now.

Captain Bravery
Apr 17, 2005

By Grabthar's Hammer...What a savings!

exiledone posted:

I'd see if you could do any part-time MBA program, that way you can build credits in the MBA program while your company foots the bill. I had a few friends who were doing that and when we were all laid off, the company still paid the bill for his tuition and he was released from any obligation of having to work with the company after he obtained his MBA. Of course I am not insinuating that you are going to get let go, I'm just saying that if the company is offering you a benefit, you might as well use it. If the worst does happen and you do let go, at least you have a couple credit hours out of the way that you won't have to take out loans for.

lolercoasterrr
Mar 27, 2006

lololololololololllllll
How long do people generally study for the GMAT? I've heard LSAT studying is on average probably around ~3 months... I figure GMAT was ~1 correct?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

lolercoasterrr posted:

How long do people generally study for the GMAT? I've heard LSAT studying is on average probably around ~3 months... I figure GMAT was ~1 correct?

I studied for about 2-3 weeks, but I definatly could have probably improved my score if I'd studied longer. If you look around some people's blogs and message board postings though you'll see some people talking about studying every night for 6 months or more. Having taken the GMAT I'd say that you definatly need to spend at least a couple of weeks to get used to the format and all that, but your return on the time you spend studying will fall sharply after a couple of weeks.

On a side note, I just completed my application to the University of Iowa's part time program (stupid Chicago and Northwestern being too far away to drive for weekend MBA) for this fall, so I hope I hear back soon. It should basically be an automatic given my GMAT score and the fact that they know my company will be footing the bill. But I can't help being slightly apprehensive.

T0MSERV0
Jul 24, 2007

You shouldn't expect to defeat him, he is designed to be a war machine.

lolercoasterrr posted:

It depends the most on how long you've been out of school before you take it. If you still remember the math rules and just need to get used to the test format, a month is probably more time than you'd need. If you've forgotten the math rules, it may take longer to brush up on it. Be your own judge on that.

Modern Life Is War
Aug 17, 2006

I'm not just eye candy
Started studying early June while taking the exam late July.

ion
Mar 23, 2004

by Peatpot
Another scathing article of MBAs and business schools, this time by The New Republic: http://www.tnr.com/politics/story.html?id=c4e9e361-fcdd-4098-afe5-400051102592

propecia
Oct 22, 2008

ion posted:

Another scathing article of MBAs and business schools, this time by The New Republic: http://www.tnr.com/politics/story.html?id=c4e9e361-fcdd-4098-afe5-400051102592

That's interesting. No doubt that plenty of folks attended these top schools to make bank after a short 2 years of education. But without the quants coming out of PhD programs such as Chicago and MIT, I really doubt that any MBA curriculum is sophisticated enough to develop the "financial tools" described the article.

I definitely think that you can place blame on the MBA culture of the past 10 years, but I would have liked to see the article flesh things out a little bit, as damning as it wants to be.

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
I'd been applying for internships for months now and I haven't gotten any responses :(

What are you guys doing for the summer? What schools do you go to and where did you get an internship?

Metashack
Oct 10, 2006

Hardcore Albacore posted:

I'd been applying for internships for months now and I haven't gotten any responses :(

What are you guys doing for the summer? What schools do you go to and where did you get an internship?

I'm a recent graduate still looking for a full-time position. It would be easier to give you some feedback if you let us know were you were and what kind of internship you were looking for.

When did you start looking for a position? What function are you looking to fill? Big firms or small firms? ect.

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
I'm in NY, Long Island specifically, doing a finance concentration MBA. I started looking about 4 months ago (not the best time, admittedly). I'd like to do consulting work primarily, but I am open to other finance positions. I prefer small firms to be honest; firms looking to grow that I could grow and learn with.

Also my MBA is with Stony Brook so I don't exactly have the power of school name/reputation behind me if I graduate and don't immediately begin working. I have one more semester remaining.

propecia
Oct 22, 2008

Hardcore Albacore posted:

I'm a 1st year full-time at IU-Kelley and I'm working in corporate finance this summer.

propecia fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Apr 2, 2009

ion
Mar 23, 2004

by Peatpot

propecia posted:

I'm a 1st year full-time at IU-Kelley and I'm working in corporate finance this summer.

what is your position, is it bulge bracket

LactoseO.D.'d
Jun 3, 2002
I would like to know what the value of Penn State Erie's MBA program is. It's AACSB accredited, but not exactly soaring on the rankings. Trying to swing into investment management (not the super competitive wall-street jobs, the smaller shops). Am I wasting my time?

propecia
Oct 22, 2008

LactoseO.D.'d posted:

I would like to know what the value of Penn State Erie's MBA program is. It's AACSB accredited, but not exactly soaring on the rankings. Trying to swing into investment management (not the super competitive wall-street jobs, the smaller shops). Am I wasting my time?

Is instate tuition a consideration?

LactoseO.D.'d
Jun 3, 2002

propecia posted:

Is instate tuition a consideration?

Yes. I also qualify for semester's worth of exemption credits.

butt implants
Oct 16, 2004

i'm gay
This doesn't pertain necessarily to MBA's but it is related close enough. I would like to pursue studies in Quantitative Trading, but I am a freshman majoring in Finance right now. Would picking up a minor in Math give me a good enough background to apply for school in Masters in Quantitative Finance? I know this field traditionally only accepts Math, Physics, and Statistics majors.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

unterdude posted:

This doesn't pertain necessarily to MBA's but it is related close enough. I would like to pursue studies in Quantitative Trading, but I am a freshman majoring in Finance right now. Would picking up a minor in Math give me a good enough background to apply for school in Masters in Quantitative Finance? I know this field traditionally only accepts Math, Physics, and Statistics majors.

Those programs are generally designed on the assumption that the students coming in have a strong background in some quantitative discipline, but not much training in finance. You'd probably be better off moving over to math/physics/engineering, which gives you a better shot at other jobs in case you change your mind sometime in the next three years.

LactoseO.D.'d
Jun 3, 2002

unterdude posted:

Recommending you don't waste your time unless you'll be coming out of one of the top 10 programs.

EmptyGenius
Jul 9, 2007

unterdude posted:

Take a look at some MsF Quant programs and look at their requirements. Some websites will detail specific courses that are basically pre-reqs for these programs. For example, from Wisconson's MsF Quant program:

University of Wisconsin posted:

To be considered, candidates must have completed and performed well in the prerequisite courses: 3 semesters of calculus, and 1 semester each of linear algebra, differential equations and probability theory. A candidate who completes additional advanced courses in mathematics and statistics beyond the requirements increases his or her chance of acceptance into the program.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Woohoo, just got accepted into the part time program at the University of Iowa (not a top 10 school, I know, but it's solidely ranked and work is paying the whole bill other than textbooks). Any evening/weekend MBA students have any words of wisdom for the next few years of my life?

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Apr 15, 2009

propecia
Oct 22, 2008

Thoguh posted:

Woohoo, just got accepted into the part time program at the University of Iowa (not a top 10 school, I know, but it's solidely ranked and work is paying the whole bill other than textbooks). Any evening/weekend MBA students have any words of wisdom for the next few years of my life?

Congrats. Don't pay any attention to the rankings - Tippie is a solid school and you will probably learn a lot for what you want to do.

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

I'm cranky most of the time.

Thoguh posted:

Not a student but the networking/connections made in an MBA program are at least as important as the coursework. Don't be a wallflower, attend study groups even if you don't need them and get to know the advisers well.

Modern Life Is War
Aug 17, 2006

I'm not just eye candy

Thoguh posted:

Good job. Talk to other students to find out which professors to take, find out if you can get advanced standing, and keep in touch with your MBA student office to make sure you're generally taking the right classes in the right order. I'm in the part-time program at Rutgers and my company is basically doing the same, excluding courses that are "not directly related to my job," such as the calc prerequisite.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Modern Life Is War posted:

Good job. Talk to other students to find out which professors to take, find out if you can get advanced standing, and keep in touch with your MBA student office to make sure you're generally taking the right classes in the right order. I'm in the part-time program at Rutgers and my company is basically doing the same, excluding courses that are "not directly related to my job," such as the calc prerequisite.

For me the difference is in whether I have to pay taxes or not. Job related means I don't have to pay taxes on the money I get from my company regardless of the amount. If classes are non-job related and I get taxed after like $5,000, which is about 2-3 classes. The company pays either way as long as it's part of an approved degree program. If I was taking individual classes that weren't part of a degree then they would only pay for job related courses.

If you don't mind my asking, what's advanced standing and why do I want it?

Bud
Oct 5, 2002

Quite Polite Like Walter Cronkite
Hey Modern Life Is War, I'm applying to Rutgers part time and I'd like to ask you a few questions if you wouldn't mind? No PMs so email mrejda at hotmail if you're up for it - I'll buy you some beers in NB

Modern Life Is War
Aug 17, 2006

I'm not just eye candy

Thoguh posted:

If you don't mind my asking, what's advanced standing and why do I want it?

I received credit for taking certain similar classes as an undergrad at another AACSB accredited school. Basically, two MBA credits for each 3 credit undergrad course that fell under that category.

Bud posted:

Hey Modern Life Is War, I'm applying to Rutgers part time and I'd like to ask you a few questions if you wouldn't mind? No PMs so email mrejda at hotmail if you're up for it - I'll buy you some beers in NB

Sure.

lax325
Jan 14, 2008
Does anyone have any opinion on Marquette University? I know it isn't top tier, but apparently their part-time MBA program was ranked #16 by US News and World Reports for 2009. While I would be attending part time, I'm wondering what it means when I don't see any rankings for their program in general.

propecia
Oct 22, 2008
The USNews 2010 full-time rankings were "leaked" today. Although nobody really gives a poo poo about these outside of the would-be private equity aspirants at the BusinessWeek forums and the prestige obsessed weirdos at College Confidential.

Harvard, Stanford, Northwestern, Penn, MIT, Chicago, Dartmouth, Columbia, Yale, NYU, Duke, Michigan, UCLA, CMU, UVA, Cornell, Texas, Georgetown, UNC, USC, Emory, Georgia Tech, Indiana, Wash U, Ohio State, Washington, Wisconsin.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
You missed Berkeley / Haas at #7

quote:

Current rank [Previous rank] School Name (Rating) [Previous Rating]
1 [1] Harvard (100) [100]
2 [1] Stanford (99) [100]
3 [4] Northwestern (93) [93]
3 [3] Penn (93) [95]
5 [4] MIT (92) [93]
6 [4] Chicago (91) [93]
7 [7] Berkeley (88) [89]
8 [7] Dartmouth (87) [89]
9 [9] Columbia (86) [88]
10 [13] Yale (85) [80]
11 [10] NYU (83) [84]
12 [14] Duke (82) [79]
13 [12] Michigan (81) [82]
14 [11] UCLA (80) [83]
15 [17] Carnegie Mellon (79) [77]
15 [14] UVA (79) [79]
17 [14] Cornell (76) [79]
18 [18] Texas-Austin (74) [74]
19 [22] Georgetown (73) [69]
20 [19] UNC (70) [72]
20 [21] USC (70) [70]
22 [24] Emory (69) [68]
23 [29] GaTech (68) [64]
23 [20] Indiana (68) [71]
23 [25] WUSTL (68) [66]
26 [27] Ohio State (67) [65]
26 [34] Washington (67) [61]
26 [29] Wisconsin (67) [64]

As an aside, I visited some MBA schools in Australia earlier this month. Two of them, Melbourne and AGSM (in Sydney) seem to do well in the international rankings, and seem a little less competitive to get into compared to top American b-schools.

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

I am in Australia and AGSM is the only place I would consider doing an MBA. I would still probably rather go to the US to do one, but if I were to base myself in Sydney long term I'm probably better off staying local.

I live in Sydney so I'm not sure about the Melbourne one. Sydney is really the business capital of Australia now, with the exception of a few local banks and some media companies. Melbourne is a nicer place to live on the whole though, depending on what you're into.

problematique
Apr 3, 2008

What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step. It is always the same step, but you have to take it.
How old are you and how many years of work experience do you people have before starting an MBA?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrunkenDiablo
Nov 13, 2006
Carbombs!!
I'm 28 just finishing my undergrad degree and starting my MBA next year. I've got 13 years of retail experience (some managerial/supervisory). It's not a big name B-school but does well in local rankings and the price is decent.